New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Goblins XVII: The shocking end of the story arc

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    According to this it doesnt take much to make it happen. If Dies saved so much as a handful as a sort of memorial then they could probably get it done back at the klik gathering area easily enough. Im not saying it will happen, im just saying that its possible.
    ah, right. thanks.
    I was skipping the walls of text.
    now there is a checkow gun fresh on the wall.

since the breaking of the axe my interest is dwindling....

oh, hey, another obscure dungeon thought up by a teenager
    and ooh, world threatening event, what else?
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Doubt that Forgath's death will be permanent since there wasn't a lot of screaming unless that happens in the next update.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Time View Post
    Doubt that Forgath's death will be permanent since there wasn't a lot of screaming unless that happens in the next update.
    There could still be a whole lot of screaming if the resurrection fails or even more screaming, when it partially works.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    There could still be a whole lot of screaming if the resurrection fails or even more screaming, when it partially works.
    True and if that happens then I guess she will have to create a new character.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

smile Re: Goblins XVII: The shocking end of the story arc

THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

6. - Top - End - #126
    Firbolg in the Playground

I like the art on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

7. - Top - End - #127
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

It amuses me that it kind of looks like he is yelling Allah in the last panel.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Colossus in the Playground

Because of course the dwarf only poison is like doing shots of hydrochloric acid. Wait, let me guess again, his klik parts will keep him alive longer meaning his pain is going to be horribly brutal. Couldnt he get a coup de grace from bowst or something? Like lie down on his stomach, let bowst chop off his head, no pain, then rezz him? Why take screaming death weed poison?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Because of course the dwarf only poison is like doing shots of hydrochloric acid. Wait, let me guess again, his klik parts will keep him alive longer meaning his pain is going to be horribly brutal. Couldnt he get a coup de grace from bowst or something? Like lie down on his stomach, let bowst chop off his head, no pain, then rezz him? Why take screaming death weed poison?
    I thought he was screaming because he was terrified?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #130

I actually wondered about that too, Bowst has a certain experience with executions.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Because he said it isn't going to work. He's (in his own mind) not going to be successfully resurrected. He just took a poison which will kill him (for good) and he's scared. Now there's nothing he can do but dread the oncoming (darkness? What does the afterlife look like in his religion?).

12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    What does the afterlife look like in his religion?
    Probably a lot like rolling 4d6 a bunch. Well, if this world and DM are any indication, probably 3d6 six times in order.
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

-RFC 1925

13. - Top - End - #133

I wonder if the whole "how to die" lesson by Idle will come up to calm him down.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius Twist View Post
    Probably a lot like rolling 4d6 a bunch. Well, if this world and DM are any indication, probably 3d6 six times in order.
    Don't be ridiculous, this world clearly uses a character creation method where you can die during character creation. Traveller perhaps?

15. - Top - End - #135

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius Twist View Post
    Maybe they just make you dance naked on a floor covered in d4.

16. - Top - End - #136

I used to say that Thunt had a solid writing, but I'm just not seeing it here.

Idle's a dwarf, out of the blue. So we're suppose to think Forgath might die here.
    Which is... Well... Kinda the point of poisoning him. I mean, the plan is to have him die and then being resurrected.
    Which is a loophole to the prophecy. Which reminds a lot of Dies Horribly...

If Forgath was to die this way, it would make a poor story.
    If Forgath does not die this way, this waste of time has little interest.
    Last edited by Quild; 2019-02-06 at 05:38 PM.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I'm not sure why Forgath thinking about the prophecy makes him think the plan will fail. He already knows he's going to die, so if it's the prophesied death, good, that means he doesn't have to worry about a second one.

I agree that I don't get the point of "revealing" that Idle was a dwarf all along. It could have been revealed way earlier. As it is, it looks like the author just came up with it at the last minute, which is the opposite of how Thunt writes.

And why get poisoned when Bowst is used to executing people painlessly, as others have pointed out here?

The whole thing seems like a stretch from several directions to make it fit somehow. I hope it has a conclusion that explains it all after the fact, otherwise the lack of foreshadowing makes it anticlimactic. Had we known Idle was a dwarf earlier, or had it been a secret but little hints were there for us to figure it out (if that's the case, I missed them, but I'd be happy to be wrong) it would be a lot more satisfying.

Also, Forgath is the one that ate the poison so really, he killed himself. Which still qualifies as being killed by a dwarf so the whole thing about Idle being a dwarf is useless in the first place for the prophecy.

And there is another part of the prophecy about the snake being someone's prey and friends becoming enemies, which makes me think this isn't the prophesied death anyway.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

maybe they figured Bowst couldn't just cut forgath's head off since he's so much Klik now, and he might have Klik sections inside / around his neck that wouldn't be cut-able?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    The whole thing seems like a stretch from several directions to make it fit somehow. I hope it has a conclusion that explains it all after the fact, otherwise the lack of foreshadowing makes it anticlimactic. Had we known Idle was a dwarf earlier, or had it been a secret but little hints were there for us to figure it out (if that's the case, I missed them, but I'd be happy to be wrong) it would be a lot more satisfying.
    The foreshadowing was really thin, but there was a bit ot it:
    Second panel, Iddle is slipping that she's more connection to dwarf culture than we can think (It can be interpreted as "I've known dwarves and they taught me some things", but that's the whole point of hint like that: double reading.)

But that's it, that's all I found here.
    Still, it was the 10th page of the 29 pages of 2018, so we might tell that Iddle's hidden race was planned for at least 9 months.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Banned

I'm fairly confident that Idle's race was planned all along. This whole thing was probably planned all along. It's just so poorly written and conveyed that it feels cheap.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

My best guess is that Thunt 'Shyamalaned' himself -- we all suspect the prophecy is going to have a twist, so he's got to have a twist, but a twist you're expecting is very hard to make interesting. Plus, with everyone looking for it, making the twist be truly surprising, but not 'didn't see coming because it was based on information audience couldn't know' and thus seem cheap, is super hard. So he's kind of getting rid of the prophecy in a 'good enough' way.

Which is another way of saying I agree this is bad writing and a lower part of the story, effectiveness-wise, I just think Thunt is ripping off a Band-Aid and hoping to get the pain over quickly.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2019-02-07 at 09:34 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142

Idle's race didn't need to be hidden. Once Forgath survived Kore, it became clear that we couldn't clearly pin the prophecy on any particular dwarf any more. It had already defied expectations once.

I think that the larger weakness is the choice to convey so much info about Forgath's death through exposition, instead of making it visible: the exposition about how Forgath could become infected, and the exposition about Idle being a dwarf.

23. - Top - End - #143

He should have revealed her species sooner that is what makes the scene feel clunky imo. Or you know just do the "he killed himself and he is a dwarf" thing someone brought up, that was a nice idea.
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2019-02-07 at 10:53 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

maybe the idea is that we all thought he'd finish this thing with Idle and Bowst and eventually get a rematch with Kore and loose even harder, but the twist is that's never going to happen?

*shrug*
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Wait, let me guess again, his klik parts will keep him alive longer mean using his pain is going to be horribly brutal.
    Watch chinroot be his positive so it cycles between killing his dwarf parts and healing his Klik parts, which slightly resets his dwarf parts.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    maybe they figured Bowst couldn't just cut forgath's head off since he's so much Klik now, and he might have Klik sections inside / around his neck that wouldn't be cut-able?
    Hm, maybe, but it would have been nice for it to be considered before the poison option, which is presented like Idle's last resort that she carries around but somehow becomes the first option for Forgath suddenly?

Quote Originally Posted by JohanOfKitten View Post
    The foreshadowing was really thin, but there was a bit ot it:
    Second panel, Iddle is slipping that she's more connection to dwarf culture than we can think (It can be interpreted as "I've known dwarves and they taught me some things", but that's the whole point of hint like that: double reading.
    That's good, I'm glad this line is here, but I still don't think that's enough. Maybe an earlier mention of Idle's clan (not as her clan, just existing) and the rivalry with Forgath's, or something about how dwarves can identify each other's clans at first glance would have helped too.

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I'm fairly confident that Idle's race was planned all along. This whole thing was probably planned all along. It's just so poorly written and conveyed that it feels cheap.
    Oh, I'm absolutely sure it was completely planned all along.

EDIT: But if nothing else, this gives us valuable information about prophecies. Forgath didn't go "Well, the fortune teller didn't say I'd be killed by a weird bunny-looking creature so it can't be you" so the prophecies must be given to fortune tellers by words in this world? Although Fumbles did react with the one he channeled with sympathy for Minmax, which implies he knows more. Hmm.
    Last edited by Lissou; 2019-02-09 at 10:22 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147

I think that a Dwarf being worried about dwarven politics and another Dwarf answering "those are dwarven politics, no one cares about them" in such an obvious tone is very weird. Wouldn't the other dwarf know? And how can no dwarf care about dwarven politics? Forgath is chaotic good, so he could just have said that he has never cared about them. And, even weirder, DimMax knew it?

So, writingwise, Bunny needed a reason to hide her race from Forgath, but it had to be a reason that wouldn't be a big deal once Forgath found out the truth. My alternative would have been to have a dwarf (Bunny) steal a significant item (how about the helmet?) from Forgath while he was in Brassmoon. Flash forward, and Forgath meets the polymorphed Bunny... who is wearing his helmet. At this point, there can be reasonable doubt about whether Bunny is lying when she claims to be an elf who bought the helmet from a dwarf on the road. The point is that Bunny, who would normally try to avoid Forgath, now needs him long-term to cast remove curse. After the fight with the beast, there should be a reasonable discussion about how to kill Forgath (good thinking about the klick parts not being easily cut and possibly prolonging the agony); at this point, Bunny mercifully hands out the dwarf-killing plant, thus admitting her identity as the thief, which would be a character growth moment for both her and, to a smaller extent, Forgath.

28. - Top - End - #148

THunt made a Pokemon Go comic some time ago. I think it's pretty great.

29. - Top - End - #149

New page.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, is that a good death?
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    New page.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, is that a good death?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I suppose its better than having your soul eaten by Kore.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”