New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Goblins XVII: The shocking end of the story arc

*Snort*

Au au.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I suppose its better than having your soul eaten by Kore.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Agree since the suffering was brief instead of never ending.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    In the context of the story I guess turning to dust competently is a really good sign that he is sufficiently one of them.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    So if the kliks can bring him back to life, is he going to get his organic bits back? Or is he going to end up as basically a klik in the shape of a dwarf?
    Two by two, hands of blue.

5. - Top - End - #155

Quote Originally Posted by Hands_Of_Blue View Post
    So if the kliks can bring him back to life, is he going to get his organic bits back? Or is he going to end up as basically a klik in the shape of a dwarf?
    Or a dwarf in the shape of a klik?
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

I say this with the love of someone who's read the comic for over a decade:

Poor guy would be better off just staying off the treadmill than living in Thunt's weird tortureverse. It's a D&D world, and he's good. So his afterlife will be better than what he's got here. Maybe he'll get to pig out on pizza and Mountain Dew every day in Herberthalla.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by satorian View Post
    I say this with the love of someone who's read the comic for over a decade:

Poor guy would be better off just staying off the treadmill than living in Thunt's weird tortureverse. It's a D&D world, and he's good. So his afterlife will be better than what he's got here. Maybe he'll get to pig out on pizza and Mountain Dew every day in Herberthalla.
    For now, yes, but it's been established that evil is winning even in an infinite multiversal sense. With the storyverse being the way it is, the good afterlives will probably get conquered, corrupted, and eaten by the bad ones before long.

8. - Top - End - #158

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    For now, yes, but it's been established that evil is winning even in an infinite multiversal sense. With the storyverse being the way it is, the good afterlives will probably get conquered, corrupted, and eaten by the bad ones before long.
    The flea demon said that the reason why evil is winning is that, when the evil disagree, they just disagree, while, when the good disagree, they assume the other to be evil. I wonder what this means concerning the outer planes. Do the good guys make war on each other?
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

9. - Top - End - #159
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    The flea demon said that the reason why evil is winning is that, when the evil disagree, they just disagree, while, when the good disagree, they assume the other to be evil. I wonder what this means concerning the outer planes. Do the good guys make war on each other?
    Even if they do, it's surprising the bad guys don't backstab one another often enough to compensate.

10. - Top - End - #160

MindFlayer

So he's going to come back as just some giant stupid-looking Klik, right?

Also I call nonsense that the psionically indestructible beard turned to dust with the rest of him.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    Also I call nonsense that the psionically indestructible beard turned to dust with the rest of him.
    ... oh shoot you're right... that shouldn't have happened... i mean i /guess/ it's technically a part of his body so it kind of would? i dunno? Might have been done to prevent an overpowered object from sticking around.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    Even if they do, it's surprising the bad guys don't backstab one another often enough to compensate.
    Bad guys also frontstab each other all the time, like the Blood War, plus stuff like Beholders that will literally attack everybody else on sight. And if a chromatic Dragon disagrees with another chromatic dragon over who gets to rule that kingdom, they're not just going to agree to disagree, there will be blood and fire/cold/electricity/acid.

Although it would be kinda hilarious if somebody went "the vizier just backstabbed his evil emperor and seized power, brutally crushing everybody else who didn't swear him loyalty on the spot! Clearly the vizier is a goody two shoes!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    So he's going to come back as just some giant stupid-looking Klik, right?

Heh, kinda expected when you just start adding new rules out of nowhere one after the other. "Ok, now you've got a super beard. And fused with an homebrew being. Oh, they turn to dust after dead, didn't I tell you? And now here's a poison that only works against your race. But you still turn to dust like the homebrew race you fused with. Your super beard? Ah screw it, dusted too."
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-02-14 at 03:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

13. - Top - End - #163

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Heh, kinda expected when you just start adding new rules out of nowhere one after the other. "Ok, now you've got a super beard. And fused with an homebrew being. Oh, they turn to dust after dead, didn't I tell you? And now here's a poison that only works against your race. But you still turn to dust like the homebrew race you fused with. Your super beard? Ah screw it, dusted too."
    It's like when the DM realizes they've given out overpowered magic items that break the game, and can't come up with an elegant way to get rid of them.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Prediction: Forgath will be more-or-less fully revived, but will have his memories completely wiped and it will turn out Idle and Bowst were originally on a quest to kill Kin or her clan, so that's how the serpent will become his prey.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

15. - Top - End - #165

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez View Post
    It's like when the DM realizes they've given out overpowered magic items that break the game, and can't come up with an elegant way to get rid of them.
    Goblins works the other way around, though. The PCs have to face opponents they simply cannot defeat (Saral Caine, Kore, Goblinslayer to a lesser extent...), so they are given very powerful and gimmicky items to counter that.

Personally, I would be happy, if that Forgath got a redesign. His proportions got increasingly awkward to visualize, and his new body parts cluttered his scenes even more. Especially the oversized stone gauntlet.

BTW, FOrgath belongs to the same clan as that kid Kore killed back in the beginning. http://goblinscomic.com/comic/09172005
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2019-02-17 at 06:59 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblins works the other way around, though. The PCs have to face opponents they simply cannot defeat (Saral Caine, Kore, Goblinslayer to a lesser extent...), so they are given very powerful and gimmicky items to counter that.
    With Saral Kaine the "very powerful and gimmicky item" was his own weapon!

In the other hand plenty of video games where a boss conveniently carries around one thing that you can use to hurt them and it's pretty much the only way of defeating them.

Although Ears did manage to beat Goblinslayer with clever tactics and luck.

Shame the magic mug ended up not seeing a lot of action, could've been a staple of the series. Like the legend of Zelda taught us, when in doubt, set it on fire.

Personally, I would be happy, if that Forgath got a redesign. His proportions got increasingly awkward to visualize, and his new body parts cluttered his scenes even more. Especially the oversized stone gauntlet.
    Personally would be happy with just getting good old armored dwarf back. Never enuff armored dwarf.

BTW, FOrgath belongs to the same clan as that kid Kore killed back in the beginning. http://goblinscomic.com/comic/09172005
    Yeah, Kore himself pointed it out when facing Forgath and said that two "evil" dwarves was reason enough to add the whole clan to his "exterminate" list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

18. - Top - End - #168

Spoiler
    Show
    maybe they could have discussed that before deciding it was going to be the plan.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

19. - Top - End - #169
    Colossus in the Playground

This comic might as well have just been the word FILLER Stretched across an otherwise blank page.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    maybe they could have discussed that before deciding it was going to be the plan.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well Forgath would have to have been killed regardless. This is the last chance to change their minds.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    This comic might as well have just been the word FILLER Stretched across an otherwise blank page.
    I disagree. It shows how much Idle bonded with Forgath, and how Bowst lacks empathy (fortunately, his cursed sword doesn't).

22. - Top - End - #172

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    I disagree. It shows how much Idle bonded with Forgath, and how Bowst lacks empathy (fortunately, his cursed sword doesn't).
    Because we didnt see their connection in the last comic, or maybe all the other ones where they hung out beforehand? Also the wasted question by the cursed sword klik seeing as how the entire point of doing this was to try and bring him back? And we already knew bowst is an idiot with the emotional depth of a teaspoon.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Because we didnt see their connection in the last comic, or maybe all the other ones where they hung out beforehand?
    i mean, you can have scenes like that multiple times. Haley and Elan have been shown making out multiple times in OOTS. that doesn't mean it's suddenly not okay to show them making out again.

sword-klik (im sure he has a name) probably wanted to make sure Idle was positive she wanted to try this. Forgath was dead and at the end had died fairly peacefully, trying to bring him back now, without having any idea what could happen, could potentially have disastrous consequences.

Unrelated, but that last panel in the middle row reminds me of some gif i've seen before but can't find, you have a closeup of a fairly neutral-faced anime guy, and the camera is slowly panning to a guy standing behind him, just looking at him with an expression of shock, horror, and confusion.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #174

That "universal laws" thing is worrisome. Last time there was a law broken by a Click, it ended up creating a green, blood-sucking monster.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    sword-klik (im sure he has a name)
    Ward. Ward the Sword.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Ward. Ward the Sword.
    thanks. completely forgot about that.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #177

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    i mean, you can have scenes like that multiple times. Haley and Elan have been shown making out multiple times in OOTS. that doesn't mean it's suddenly not okay to show them making out again.

sword-klik (im sure he has a name) probably wanted to make sure Idle was positive she wanted to try this. Forgath was dead and at the end had died fairly peacefully, trying to bring him back now, without having any idea what could happen, could potentially have disastrous consequences.

Unrelated, but that last panel in the middle row reminds me of some gif i've seen before but can't find, you have a closeup of a fairly neutral-faced anime guy, and the camera is slowly panning to a guy standing behind him, just looking at him with an expression of shock, horror, and confusion.
    I mean yeah, I get that you dont need to feel like there can only be one scene of emotional bonding or impact or whatever, im just saying that the entire comic was basically re-establishing stuff we already knew. Idle likes Forgath, ward can probably bring him back, bowst is an insensitive idiot. This is the sort of update I might have expected if forgath had died and turned to dust, then we cut back to minmax and crew for an arc. Once its over, a year and a half from now, and we come back to dustgath being turned into klikgath, THEN this would have been a solid refresher to remind us of whats going on. A quick, "New phone arc, who dis?" comic to bring us back into the loop.

28. - Top - End - #178

Huh. Colorful.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

That means new update, if that was unclear.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sigh. I'm glad he's alive but I do wish that he had a unified visual theme again. All the different textures are hard to look at.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

30. - Top - End - #180

Spoiler
    Show
    A part of me wants to get a stat sheet for this klikgath, the rest of me knows that would just be another mess like any other time he tries to include actual game rules in the comic. Im just really curious as to what his new abilities will be. Like, is each segment strong/weak to something different now? Can he shapeshift? Is he a gestalt entity? Does he have his holy symbol inside him somewhere? How about the magic items he had? *EDIT* Also glad to see his invulnerable beard still exists. I was kinda hoping to see it floating on top of his sand pile.
    Last edited by Traab; 2019-03-19 at 07:37 PM.