New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Skald rage synergies

Is there any feat that allows a skald's ally using spells while raging? Are there other feats which synergizes well with a skald rage?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Skald rage synergies

Urban skald is a good archetype for caster heavy parties. They can buff dex or con and don't inhibit allied spellcasting.

Skald's vigor gives fast healing while you raging song. Greater skald's vigor gives this bonus to your allies. Since skald's raging song is effectively bardic performance for feats etc, lingering performance, discordant voice, and similar feats that affect performances are all good choices.
    Guides
    Monk dipping for pathfinder druids, a mini guide
    Trapped Under Ice-Geddy2112's guide to the Pathfinder Winter Witch
    I contributed to this awesome guide to chaotic good

3. - Top - End - #3

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Geddy2112 View Post
    Urban skald is a good archetype for caster heavy parties. They can buff dex or con and don't inhibit allied spellcasting.

Skald's vigor gives fast healing while you raging song. Greater skald's vigor gives this bonus to your allies. Since skald's raging song is effectively bardic performance for feats etc, lingering performance, discordant voice, and similar feats that affect performances are all good choices.
    Thank you, but the skald is another player and he didn't pick the urban skald archetipe, I'm a magus and I want some feats to find some synergies with him, but I think there's nothing out there

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Yep, skald sucks to be around as a magus, or any other gish class. I was fortunate to find this out in Society play, where I could just move on.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph View Post
    Yep, skald sucks to be around as a magus, or any other gish class. I was fortunate to find this out in Society play, where I could just move on.
    I'm not sure why it is such a big deal. You can choose, round to round, whether or not you accept the rage bonuses or not. Are you casting a spell EVERY round?

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Song
    ... If a raging song affects allies, when the skald begins a raging song and at the start of each ally’s turn in which they can hear the raging song, the skald’s allies must decide whether to accept or refuse its effects. This is not an action. ...
    Last edited by Eldonauran; 2019-02-15 at 03:40 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldonauran View Post
    I'm not sure why it is such a big deal. You can choose, round to round, whether or not you accept the rage bonuses or not. Are you casting a spell EVERY round?
    ATM, at low levels, it's not "that" bad, i can choose to spare my spell slots and use a different buff, it's just a little awkward from a role playing perspective going in and out from rage round to round.
    Later on maybe i'll ask my master if i can use downtime to research a custom spell (which level do you think it would be, if i set the duration to 1 hour/level? I think it's between 3rd and 4th)
    Last edited by Selion; 2019-02-15 at 04:20 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

If custom spell/content is an option, see if the GM will allow you to 're-purpose' the Mad Magic feat to be of use to you. If not, perhaps take a single level of bloodrager, the same feat, and then use your bloodrager benefits while using HIS performance rounds.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Selion View Post
    Are there other feats which synergizes well with a skald rage?
    Be a half-orc and dip 1 level of bloodrager. Trade out your 1st level bloodline power for a Bloodline Familiar with the Valet archetype. Get the Amplified Rage feat.

Your familiar shares your teamwork feats because it's a Valet. Now, when you use raging song and are adjacent to your familiar, you gain +8 strength and constitution because you're using the bonuses of your bloodrager rage, and it gains +6 because it's using your raging song bonuses.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Eldonauran View Post
    True, you're not casting spells every round... but you want those buffs when you ARE casting spells. And gods forbid you have any immediate action spells.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph View Post
    True, you're not casting spells every round... but you want those buffs when you ARE casting spells. And gods forbid you have any immediate action spells.
    Outside of snagging spells from other spell lists, there are only 19 immediate action spells on the Magus list, 15 of which are not race restricted, and perhaps half are (in my opinion) actually useful in enough situations to be worth preparing consistently (barring foreknowledge). Most of those are 3rd level of higher (feather fall is an exception).

In my opinion, the situation is a minor annoyance at worse. At least for a Magus.

11. - Top - End - #11

RedWizardGuy

Maybe the most strightforward way is just taking the feat "furious spell", or buy a metamagic rod with it... damn, i'm feat starving already! Bye bye improved initiative :P