New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread V: Escape from LA

Well, Raise Dead and Resurrection are (Healing) spells so ... that's a distinct possibility. Check with the DM.
    On the other hand, the situations in which that would be useful are rare enough that I think we can safely ignore that possibility in evaluating the lifeleech otyugh's LA.

Honestly, the Lifeleech Aura is something that you're going to need to make sure the DM is aware of. It's probably not to the point of needing a DM Warning, but it is definitely something that needs a DM consultation, so maybe a ? instead of a * is in order.

It makes for a good tank/frontliner, but it doesn't have much that makes enemies want to prioritize it if they can get around it. Probably not as much of any issue in confined spaces like inside a dungeon or other building, but in open space, it is a bigger one.
    On the other hand, it's probably competitive with a spiked chain lockdown type build.

I'd call it borderline between +0? and -0?.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #362
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

9 Aberration RHD is a lot, but I think this guy has the abilities to make it a respectable +0. Thinking beatstick+BFC/lockdown.

Very high str and improved grab, with 4 tentacles and dex to support the combat reflexes feat, which is the one I'd keep from the stat block. Combat Reflexes, Stand Still, Improved Natural Attack (tentacle), Mageslayer. He can dish out solid damage at level 9 with an innate 15' reach. Add +1 Amulet of Mighty Fists and even a +2 str item and he's no joke. He can hold up multiple weak/small/medium enemies or anything with a low reflex save. That covers an awful lot of opponents. 40' speed average for large size, thankfully not as slow as the original creature. +10' to speed is cheap, standard and core at that level. Painfully low int means he won't do much outside of combat, but that's often true for this role.

Looking to levels 10-12, dip barbarian for pounce and improved trip, then maybe crusader for Thicket of Blades. Knockdown at level 12 if the campaign faces equal or smaller creatures than large size often. Flight will be a priority by then, but that's true for any non-caster melee.

And this thread doesn't usually care about tankiness (and frankly I generally agree) but he has it. Solid bonus to Dex/Con/Wis means his saves are very respectable. More hps than a water orc/dwarf barbarian/warblade. Medicore NA, but can always add chain shirt barding cheaply. He is likely to have the best AC in the party. +4 deflection bonus is odd but nice. At level 9 its a long ways before the party members pay that much for one, and even at level 20 that's basically free gold. Combined with that and +6 dex and this is a large tank that touch attacks will sometimes miss. The leech aura is hard to evaluate, but the healer can cast "Heal" on him from 60' range without risk, often while healing someone else who may well need it at the same time.

+0 is really the lowest I'd go, comparing to reasonably optimized T3 beatstick/BFC melee brute. Arguing higher isn't impossible, but he'd suffer quickly losing HD compared to the party.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

Str +16, Dex +6, Con +12, Int -4, Wis +8, Cha -2. Net +36. Impressive enough ability scores for a melee type.

+5 natural armor, +4 deflection; 40 ft speed; 5 natural attacks; constrict and improved grab; fast healing 5 & life leech. These are all OK to nice.

The real downside is 9RHD, and potentially the inability to wield items (depending on how dexterous the DM rules your tentacles to be). Aberration HD just aren't good.

If you were to go a full BAB class, you can still hit BAB +17 by 20. Sadly, Swordsage is your best initiator option, and that is medium BAB.

This one is borderline for me: I'm really torn between LA +0 and LA -0. I think you might just be able to play a passable bruiser, so I'm going LA +0.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by javcs View Post
    I'd call it borderline between +0? and -0?.
    The way I see it, a monster is +0 if you want to play it because it seems good and it is -0 if you don't want to play it because it seems bad.

I don't really have an opinion on this monster right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

5. - Top - End - #365

Net abilities are on par for RHD, natural AC is low, Deflection is nice to start but once you get into the high teens you will want to overlay it with a +5 item, making it a stepping stone. Respectable natural attack routine and reach; no reach weapons leaves you 5 feet shorter in reach that most trippers, but you can do real damage with your strikes instead of scratch damage. Losing 3 BAB is seriously ugly and complicates a mix into a charging build; power attack is likely not for you, and 9 levels of features already spoken for means you are unlikely to get acceptable precision damage outside a gestalt campaign. That leaves Initiator or Incarnum.

Overall, I lean towards a weak LA +0. You are basically boxed into one of a couple of direct damage builds, but you will be competent in those areas and roughly comparable to the best martials and initiators with good choices.
    Last edited by ViperMagnum357; 2018-11-05 at 12:43 PM.

6. - Top - End - #366

Excluding cheese that gets rid of racial hit dice, I'm torn. For one thing that's a lot of useless levels clogging up the build. On the other hand the benefits almost make up for it imo. I guess I have to say +0 but seriously borderline and almost to the -0 category.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    Sometimes you need more than well crafted crunch. Sometimes you need well crafted crunch that is playable in the game.
    Steam: Papa Palpy Palpatine
    Pesterchum: mysticUmbra
    YouTube: Noctus Does Things

Black(Blue and Green) or Sultai is my khanate, and my colour alignment.

The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    (Side quandry: does a slain lifeleech otyugh get raised if a nearby cleric casts Raise Dead?)
    What about if a nearby cleric casts Animate Dead? I mean, it's not a healing spell, but it's definitely giving life to something.
    For that matter, how would the lifeleech ability affect undead lifeleech otyughs?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

8. - Top - End - #368

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    What about if a nearby cleric casts Animate Dead? I mean, it's not a healing spell, but it's definitely giving life to something.
    For that matter, how would the lifeleech ability affect undead lifeleech otyughs?
    Animate Dead, and Reincarnation, are not of the (Healing) subschool and so are not affected.

An undead Lifeleech Otyugh is shafted hard by the Lifeleech Aura. RAW, anyways.
    Might be a template that would flip that somewhere. Maybe something designed for representing fallen celestials.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

The way I see it, a monster is +0 if you want to play it because it seems good and it is -0 if you don't want to play it because it seems bad.

I don't really have an opinion on this monster right now.
    To be fair, -0 is a very wide spectrum; you have monsters only slightly behind +0s, and then you have things like Omnomnomnimentals.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    (Side quandry: does a slain lifeleech otyugh get raised if a nearby cleric casts Raise Dead?)
    I mean, on the one hand, the otyugh is dead. It's hard to use abilities when you're dead.

On the other hand, there's precedent for certain supernatural qualities (like a hellbred's Hellbound trait) sticking around after you die, so . . . maybe!

As far as the rating goes, it's really, really hard to sell 9 aberration RHD without some active abilities, and just having Improved Grab and Constrict doesn't count for that much. Lifeleech is a really interesting ability on a monster, but unless you've got a dedicated healer in the party who actually works through casting actual [Healing] spells, I'm not going to rate Lifeleech as being that different from fast healing on a PC. Fast healing isn't usually worth 9 bad RHD, and the lifeleech otyugh even already has FH 5. I don't think we can justify going above -0.

It might be fun to play one in a weird "everyone must be an LA -0 monster" game, though.

I was going to mention how one level in a full-BAB class (plus a few skill points and a bad feat) qualifies them for Divine Crusader, which would be honestly pretty funny if they took the Healing domain, but then I remembered that Divine Crusader is CHA-based rather than WIS-based, so that's kind of disappointing.
    Last edited by Zaq; 2018-11-05 at 10:12 AM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    As far as the rating goes, it's really, really hard to sell 9 aberration RHD without some active abilities, and just having Improved Grab and Constrict doesn't count for that much. Lifeleech is a really interesting ability on a monster, but unless you've got a dedicated healer in the party who actually works through casting actual [Healing] spells, I'm not going to rate Lifeleech as being that different from fast healing on a PC. Fast healing isn't usually worth 9 bad RHD, and the lifeleech otyugh even already has FH 5. I don't think we can justify going above -0.
    ^ Ditto this.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

12. - Top - End - #372

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    ^ Ditto this.
    Seconded -insert Scruffy, the Janitor-

13. - Top - End - #373

i would go plus 0. aberration hd are bad but not totally unplayable, good will is a nice boost to most melee. type gives some immunities, or at least forces a hold monster over hold person. stats are huge and spread decently enough. it's a beatstick, but it's a pretty dang good one. it doesn't have skills but most melee dont. it needs flight, but everything does, and likely pounce but again most melee does. pa is not as good but that is made up for by it's stats. you wont outdamage a true uber charger but you will be competetive.

expansion or a level of psywar even with limited power points gives you even more reach. totemist makes you extra blendy. rapidstrike isn't bad, you have the stats to carry it. assassins stance isn't awful either.

it's not a great initiator but that could work. strength makes up to hit and then some, but you want pounce still. maybe something with tiger claw?

even with no weapon or tool use I think it is a plus 0. a weak plus 0 but it's playable. it definitely is with tool use. just because a pc may be better doesn't mean it's unplayable.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by javcs View Post
    Animate Dead, and Reincarnation, are not of the (Healing) subschool and so are not affected.

An undead Lifeleech Otyugh is shafted hard by the Lifeleech Aura. RAW, anyways.
    Might be a template that would flip that somewhere. Maybe something designed for representing fallen celestials.
    Sometimes, RAW is boring. I think the idea of a lifeleech otyugh which rises from the dead when a necromancer tries to make some zombies near its corpse, and feeds off of necromancy spells, is pretty neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Efrate View Post
    [J]ust because a pc may be better doesn't mean it's unplayable.
    1. -0 doesn't mean "unplayable," it just means "significantly worse than a standard-race PC".
    2. You should fix the shift key on your keyboard. It seems to be busted.
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

15. - Top - End - #375

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Sometimes, RAW is boring. I think the idea of a lifeleech otyugh which rises from the dead when a necromancer tries to make some zombies near its corpse, and feeds off of necromancy spells, is pretty neat.
    True. It would be pretty cool.
    Possibly some sort of variant of the Tomb-Tainted Soul feat, or whichever is the one that lets the living heal from negative energy.
    Or just hand wave it.

1. -0 doesn't mean "unplayable," it just means "significantly worse than a standard-race PC".
    People seem to forget this every time there's a monster that isn't made of concentrated suck.

2. You should fix the shift key on your keyboard. It seems to be busted.
    Capital letters are important.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

I will throw in a vote for +0 as well.
    Yes it looks kinda boring. But it seems to be strong enough to keep up with the physical bruisers.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

17. - Top - End - #377
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I think it'd still be balanced with an extra class level. LA -0. If it were evaluated strictly as t4, it'd probably get +0, but at t3, it doesn't have enough versatility, and you can't use tools (certainly not humanoid tools, anyway, and I don't think otyugh have a tool-using culture).

A wild shape ranger could take the form of a lifeleech otyugh and do its job better. That's true of a lot of beatsticks, and I feel that it counts against the lifeleech otyugh as well.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

A wild shape ranger could take the form of a lifeleech otyugh and do its job better. That's true of a lot of beatsticks, and I feel that it counts against the lifeleech otyugh as well.
    You cant by default take the shape of an aberation. As i recall you need to burn a few feats on it.
    And in almost all cases the true Otyugh would be stronger, faster and tougher.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

19. - Top - End - #379
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    You cant by default take the shape of an aberation. As i recall you need to burn a few feats on it.
    And in almost all cases the true Otyugh would be stronger, faster and tougher.
    You mean it would have better physical ability scores because it's not limited to averages? Sure, that helps, but so does +2 base attack, better saves, three or four times the skill points (from a nice list), hands (part-time), actual class features worth more than a few feats (animal companion! spells!)... the list goes on. Oh, and there's the Warshaper dip for +4 Strength and Constitution.

A Wild Shape ranger won't be as good of an otyugh as the actual PC-statted otyugh, but it will be better whenever the specific package of "being an otyugh" isn't called for, and it can provide the same BFC.

Minor (unrelated) thing: the lifeleech otyugh was given a 20' climb speed in the errata. So that's pretty nice.
    Last edited by ExLibrisMortis; 2018-11-05 at 05:46 PM.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Firbolg in the Playground

Reading both sides I have to agree with -0. Its just got those few too many truly awful RHD.

21. - Top - End - #381

Going to call it +0 as well.
    Last edited by TotallyNotEvil; 2018-11-05 at 06:09 PM.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

It's unfortunate that Aberration HD are so rubbish. d8HD, medium BAB, one good save, 2 skills points/level, and no type special abilities worth mentioning.

Aberration is better than Humanoid, but that's not saying much.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    It's unfortunate that Aberration HD are so rubbish. d8HD, medium BAB, one good save, 2 skills points/level, and no type special abilities worth mentioning.

Aberration is better than Humanoid, but that's not saying much.
    One might say, when compared to real class levels, those HD are an aberration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

24. - Top - End - #384

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    One might say, when compared to real class levels, those HD are an aberration.
    No! Bad Luccan! *gets the rolled-up newspaper* No cookie for you!

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ExLibrisMortis View Post
    A Wild Shape ranger won't be as good of an otyugh as the actual PC-statted otyugh, but it will be better whenever the specific package of "being an otyugh" isn't called for, and it can provide the same BFC.
    This is an important point to emphasize. When people say "X can act as Y, so Y is weaker," they're not (necessarily) saying that Y is weaker because it's worse at being Y than X is. If X can do a passable imitation of Y, and also other useful stuff at a useful level, it's probably going to be stronger than Y. For instance, a druid is stronger than a fighter because its animal companion, while not as good of a fighter as a fighter*, is a good enough fighter to let the druid compete in that role while also using its magic and other class features to fill other class roles.
    Same with the lifeleech otyugh. With token investment**, a wild-shape ranger can do what a lifeleech otyugh does well enough, without seriously sacrificing their ability to do other things.

*Note: I've never tested this.
    **Or none, if you consider "turn into a bear and cast healing magic on yourself" a close enough approximation of the lifeleech's core role as tanky bruiser.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

Votes so far:

-0 LA: 6 votes
    +0 LA: 7 votes

Note that if GreatWyrmGold is in favor of -0 (which I feel might be the case from his posts, but wasn't explicitly stated anywhere) then there's a tie. The next update isn't scheduled until tomorrow anyway so I'll let people vote for a bit longer.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

27. - Top - End - #387

I'll say -0
    Known among friends as "Ogres"

...so as we can see, no internal consistency from WotC (unsurprising).

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I think I gotta go -0 as well because of the regular issues of lacking hands, language ability, and 9HD of freedom for build ideas. Even if there's some decent stuff under those 9HD, that's still nearly half my build potential. That cuts it out of all adventures below level 9 and makes me ponder hard how to contribute at levels over 10.

Primo minion, but a bold choice for a PC.
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

[QUOTE=Inevitability;23487630Note that if GreatWyrmGold is in favor of -0 (which I feel might be the case from his posts, but wasn't explicitly stated anywhere)...[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, -0.
    Gotta remember to make my opinion clear. After all, my vote counts!
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant12 View Post
    9 Aberration RHD is a lot, but I think this guy has the abilities to make it a respectable +0. Thinking beatstick+BFC/lockdown.
    (...)
    +0 is really the lowest I'd go, comparing to reasonably optimized T3 beatstick/BFC melee brute. Arguing higher isn't impossible, but he'd suffer quickly losing HD compared to the party.
    (...)
    This one is borderline for me: I'm really torn between LA +0 and LA -0. I think you might just be able to play a passable bruiser, so I'm going LA +0.
    I think you two may have a valid point, but I can't bring myself to change from -0 to +0 without something more concrete... and I can't think of a build off the top of my head which would justify +0.

Four decent natural attacks seems like a Pounce build might be worthwhile? But just dropping one level of Barbarian didn't get to Uber-Charger damage levels, so far as I could see.

Would anyone be willing to build something to justify the idea of +0 for this thing?