New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

Osorkon sliced his own leg thinly, chanting as he drew the blood from the wound into a ball in the air. This time he shouted louder as the ball coalesced into light and shot at Gratoire. ”Vere paranemine!”

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    take 2 more points nonlethal and a spellpoint:
    Heal Gratoire for (2d8+5)[12]
    Last edited by warper; 2019-03-15 at 06:59 AM.
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Pending

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoldenfedora
    You beautiful bastard, making me agree with you by complimenting me

Fantastic Avatar by smuchmuch!

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Graitore and Zadkiel strike at the northern worm, their dual blows causing it to shudder and collapse with a whump. Zadkiel quickly changed his footing, sending his second arrow at the remaining worm. Graitore's wounds knit close as Osorkon's blood scabs over them. Oathbreaker pounds at the worm but his first fails to connect and the second only scratches its hide. Astrophel springs into motion, a blur in the night, as he brings a downward blow onto the remaining worm which writhes and screams a blood curdling cry as its life force is drained. The worm continued its assault on Oathbreaker but it's lunge was weak and easily dodged, Astrophel's fell draining magicks removing its potency.

Spoiler
    Show
    No hits this turn! Don't forget OB/Graitore need to make their saves vs. Poison this turn.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

3. - Top - End - #273
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

As the worm latched onto Gratoire perishes he wedges his short stick into it's jaw and pries it loose, grunting as the teeth withdraw from his arm. He turns to the remaining worm and rushes forward sliding around Osorkon while giving a quick pat on the blood mages shoulder in appreciation. As he crosses behind Astrophel he turns towards the worm and jumps in the air, releasing his hold on his short stick and using his twisting momentum to swing it on its lanyard across the death worm's open flank.

Spoiler
    Show

Free action: berserker +8 temp hp, -2 AC
    move action to move 40' to position
    Standard action: power attack (1d20+8)[13]
    Damage (1d8+4)[9]
    Crits on 27 or higher
    AC=18
    Fortitude save (1d20+8)[22]

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

Zadkiel circled around for a clear shot and sent two more arrows hurtling towards the remaining worm.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+10)[24]
    Damage: (4d6+7)[25] + (1d6)[5] Fire

Attack: (1d20+10)[15]
    Damage: (4d6+7)[23] + (1d6)[6] Fire

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing the worm's attacks grow less coordinated and more feeble, Oathbreaker could only hope that it was nearing the end of its strength.
    Being nearly bitten in half by it once was more than enough for him!

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Full-Attack on the Worm next to Oathbreaker
    Attack #1 - Sickle
    To-Hit: (1d20+7)[13]
    Miss Chance: (1d100)[63]
    Damage: (1d8+6)[8] plus (1d6)[5] Fire and (1d6)[5] Cold (1d8+6)[12] plus (1d6)[4] Fire plus (1d6)[5] Cold
    Reflex Save vs. Weapon Damage: (1d20+5)[23]

Attack #2 - Athame
    To-Hit: (1d20+7)[26]
    Miss Chance: (1d100)[50]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[6] Force plus (1d6)[2] Fire and (1d6)[5] Cold
    Reflex Save: It's a weapon made of magical force - I don't know if it can take damage? Still Reflex: (1d20+5)[12]
    Fort Save vs. Poison: (1d20+5)[6]
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

The combination of blows finally slew the Death Worm and the stillness of the desert night resumed. As you pause, taking stock and patching wounds Graitore notices something inside the mouth of the worm they just felled. He carefully extracted two items; a small blade with an uncut ruby on its pummel was lodged into the beasts mouth. The other is what looks to be a pendant, though its surfaced is slighlty tarnished. It is circular, the outer surface appearing to be bronze, while the inner materials is a mix of translucent materials. The translucent material's mimic the appearance of stained glass though its clearly mineral-based. The design is clear; a large uncut ruby sits in the center and is bathed in roiling, multi-colored flames. This is odd. What I know of Death Worms, they stay far from towns and cities. Or rather, they live where people don't want to live. Their presence was a threat to Totra, and I fear the presence of two indicates they've recently mated. In fact, as Oathbreaker makes a more thorough look at the worms, he notices tell-tale signs of recent egg-laying in the first felled Death Worm.

Spoiler: Everyone read this
    Show
    OB has 2 more rounds of poison dealing (2d2)[2][2](4) each turn respectively.
    Graitore has 3 more rounds of poison dealing (3d2)[1][1][2](4) each turn respectively.
    If either pass the DC 17 save, the poison ceases there as it is a 2-save cure.

You've gained 4800 EXP for defeating 2 CR 6 opponents, for a total of 1200 EXP each
    Additionally, you've earned 4000 EXP for rescuing the Conall that I forgot to tell you about earlier (1000 EXP each).

Spoiler: Found Weapon
    Show
    It is a shortsword
    Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 18
    Show
    It has the Flaming quality. Remember, if you wield a weapon with a +X equivalent ability, you subtract that from your automatic progress enhancement. At this level, that means the Shortsword would be a Flaming Shortsword, with no +1 at all. This is an exception to the normal "must have a min of +1" for magical weapons/armor.

Spoiler: Found Amulet
    Show
    The Amulet is magical and occupies the neck slot (you must restring it first, as the previous string has since dissolved)
    Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 20
    Show
    This is an Amulet of Promised Flame, Lesser. It grants the wearer resilience to extreme heat, as Endure Elements spell, but only for temperatures up to 140 F. Additionally, as an Immediate Action 1/day, a wearer may grant themselves Fire Resistance 5 for 1 minute.
    It has a market cost of 2,500 GP
    Crafting Requirements; Endure Elements, Resist Energy
    Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 25
    Show
    The Amulet is currently broken (2 out of 5 HP). It's Endure Elements effect continues unhindered, but its Fire Resistance effect has a 20% of damaging the amulet further by 1 point each time it is used. Restoring its HP will remove the Broken condition and it will no longer be at risk of further damage.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

7. - Top - End - #277

Osorkon stared at the amulet Gratoire plucked out of the creatures mouth. ”That looks familiar... may I take a look?” Osorkon takes a look at both items while Gratoire and Oathbreaker fight off the poison. Once he’s convinced the poison has run its course, he cuts his leg and blesses both of them with blood, smiling as the skin regains it’s color. Osorkon then cuts his other leg and stitches up Oathbreaker’s back. His knees wobble from the effort. ”This is what I can do for today, the rest of our wounds must wait.”

Osorkon sits on the sand to catch his breath and shows off the amulet: ”This amulet will protect the wearer of heat and can also stop fire in a limited fashion. The item is fractured and using its ability to stop fire will continue to weaken it until it breaks. We should repair it before using or selling it.”

Show
    Spend three spell points and take another 6 nonlethal damage: Cure all con damage on both Gratoire and Oathbreaker. I also heal Oathbreaker for (2d8+5)[14]. Osorkon is out of spell points.
    Last edited by warper; 2019-03-18 at 11:23 AM.
    Show
    Pending

Show

8. - Top - End - #278

SwashbucklerGuy

Carefully, Gratoire picks the items from the worms mouths, once completed he investigates the worms further with a hunters eye.

"Whoever was the latest victim of these worms seems to have been fairly well equipped. The proximity is very worrisome. Let us finish our journey while we still travel under the concert of night, and I will investigate some in the morning."

Spoiler
    Show
    survival check to investigate the worms, looking for any cause for their odd habitat
    (1d20+9)[29]
    Last edited by thegoldenfedora; 2019-03-18 at 09:56 AM.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Astrophel nodded at Graitore's assertion. Indeed. I also doubt the Admiral will be grateful for late night visitors, regardless of our esteem. He hesitates for a moment, eyeing the fresh corpse of the camel that bore him. If you do not mind, I aim to make best use of the fallen camel. He is large and should sustain me for several days. With one more moment of hesitation, he sets in to feed on the camel. As you remount, Astrophel getting on alongside 'Oman', as he was the smallest, you continued down to Totra.

It took little over an hour to breach the outer row of buildings into Totra. The city was mostly quiet, this late at night, most people already done their nightly revelry and have turned in. It takes little effort to find the few establishment's still operating at this time, one not too far in on the main road who quickly sold you a room with a yawn and urging you to be quiet. As you divy up to your rooms, Astrophel encourages you to seek the Admiral Sa-Hor-Et in the morning. He assures you he will accompany you and he'll be taking precautions for the sun.

Spoiler
    Show
    So unlike the last 3 cities you've been in, you'll be in Totra for at least a few In-Game days (if not more). That means knowing the city, its people and its history is more important as well as its topography and districts. I will upload a map of Totra to Roll20 later tonight. In the meantime, you can make Knowledge History, Nobility and/or Local checks to see what you know of Totra. Additionally, I'm introducing a houserule of sorts.

"I know a guy" Houserule, so named after Han Solo in Empire Strike Back's reference to Lando Calrissien.
    Essentially, you can say "I know a Guy/Gal" and briefly describe a character your character knows. A few simple details (race, relation, etc) and don't be too wordy about it. That person now exists and you can interact with them from then on out. I of course have the right to refuse your 'guy/gal' if I deem their presence abusive of the houserule or invaliding challenge or story. The goal of this houserule is to put some creative control in your hands, enrich the world and make it feel lived in as well as sharing the burden of NPC generation, to a degree.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

10. - Top - End - #280

SwashbucklerGuy

Gratoire nods for Astrophel to begin his meal, Osorkon required some time anyways and the group could use a moment to recuperate. Once Astrophel had finished, Gratoire decided to hide the vampire bites by sliding his knife into the unfortunate camel, piercing where the fangs inserted and creating a simple knife wound in its place.

"No sense giving some random traveler a fright." he says with a grin.

Once they find lodging, Gratoire investigates the offered room, ensuring it's relative safety and that the room would be between the Risen guards rooms. No one should know where they were but you didn't become a body guard by cutting corners. Once satisfied, Gratoire found his own bed and laid down. Sleep came fitfully when he was unable to shake a distrurbing vision of the death worm's tooth penetrating his eye.

In the morning Gratoire got directions from the innkeeper to the Navy headquarters and also inquired about a Hunting Lodge, thinking that maybe the local hunters might know something of the the previous night's death worms. As they traveled Gratoire tried to forget the previous night with thoughts of seeing his old training mate.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

Oathbreaker nods in relief as Osorkon cleanses the poison from his body - from the paleness of his suddenly wane face, it was clear that the warrior had been on the brink of death (i.e. dropped to 5 Con, and max HP of 10!)
    He then spends the next several minutes off by himself, quietly murmuring some sort of magic while anointing his forehead with drops of black blood from a vial he produced from one of his bags.
    Finally, he returns to the group, all of his injuries healed.

"If additional healing is required, I can provide a slow regeneration of flesh. I will caution that the magic does require the wounds to be anointed with the blood of an outsider."

Oathbreaker turns and shows the group that his back his fully healed, and except for some minor scarring appears to be completely healed from where he had been wounded by the death worm's poisonous bite.

"It is, however, extremely effective, even if it will require a full minute to take maximum effect."

(OOC: Oathbreaker has 3 more Arcane Pool points that he is willing to convert into castings of Infernal Healing, after dumping 3 such casts into himself. Infernal Healing uses the blood of an evil outsider, and grants Fast Healing 1 for 1 minute, hence restoring 10 HP per casting over 1 minute. Let me know if anyone wants to take him up on the offer!)

Oathbreaker is silent as Astrophel collects as much blood from his fallen camel as he is likely to obtain. After seeing Graitore's skillful attempt at disguising the wound as something else, Oathbreaker adds his own means of disposed of the blood-drained camel . . . and ensuring that any death worm eggs could not possibly have been implanted in the camel.

"Initiate Arcana: Fan of Flames!"

The rush of flames chars the camel's corpse quite effectively, and leaves it as a slowly burning, smoldering mass of blackened flesh in the sand behind the caravan. By morning, all that should remain are the bones and ash.
    Oathbreaker returns to his camel, and allows Astrophel to mount up behind him.

"Thank you for your assistance during the battle."

He says simply, leaving it at that and seemingly unconcerned with the idea that the vampire might decide the camel was not enough food for one night.
    Finally, the city of Totra becomes more than just a vague shape on the horizon, and Oathbreaker allows himself to relax as they return to civilization - but only a little, as the town undoubtedly held greater dangers if their charge was discovered by the wrong zealous element.

Reaching up to his head, Oathbreaker carefully removes the simple band of bronze metal and cloth that had been holding his long tangles of black hair back from his face.
    As the band leaves his head, it shifts into the form of a simple knit cap, which Oathbreaker turns around in the saddle to offer back to Astrophel.

"Please take this and use it to disguise yourself while we are within the bounds of civilization, so as to reduce the risk of you being recognized by the intolerant. You will be able to adopt a different appearance upon command - the effect is similar to "Disguise Self" magicks. The command word is "Destiny". I would appreciate it if you could return the item upon the conclusion of our journey together."

Spoiler: Knowledge Checks
    Show

Taking 10 on Knowledge History for an "18", and 10 on Knowledge Nobility for a "15".

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

Zadkiel quietly volunteered to take the first watch as the party slept. "Someone just might try something, if they don't know who we are. And they might have spotted us on the way in, if they do," he whispered grimly.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Astrophel examined the magical item briefly before donning it. The changes were slight; the face gauze disappeared, revealing his very human face. His eyes were now a glittering green and whenever his mouth opened, perfectly normal, straight teeth sat in his mouth. Otherwise, he was no different. The best lie is the truth as the saying goes.

Zadkiel's watch was uneventful, as was the others. You sleep somewhat late into the morning, adjusting to a more normal sleep schedule after so long being active at night. You rouse and gather nearing midday, in the tavern's meeting room. Astrophel joins you last and thanks to Oathbreaker's item, he looks the same as he did last night. You set out, Astrophel seeming to have no issue with the sun. When questioned, he mentions that he came prepared. He only wanted to travel at night as an extra precaution.

It takes a few questions, but your directed towards the Concord of the Navy, situated near the northern tip of the The Brother's peninsula that juts out into the trio of docks that Totra is built around. You pass through The Neck, the narrow part of the peninsula which is chocked with people. Shop stands and merchants are hocking wares from all kind of exotic locals. Once you get past The Neck and onto The Brother's proper you see a spectacular, but crowded, array of buildings situated on two hills. Upon the smaller of the two hills, Little Brother, sits a large pyramid complex which is quickly pointed out to be the municipal complex for Totra, including the Governor's office. Opposite, on Big Brother, sits a very large statue of Khemet I overlooking The Neck and gazing deep into Osirion with a hopeful expression.

As you meander your way through the crowded streets, you finally reach the northern tip of the peninsula where you find a cluster of buildings sitting just opposite the docks that jut from the pier. While not quite as grand as many of the other buildings, it becomes obvious that its the Concord as many men and women move about the buildings and the pier dressed in sharp naval uniforms. You enter the main building, a squat structure in the center of the concourse. Your directed by a passing cadet to the Admiral's office, situated on the second floor of the building. As you ascend the stairs, it becomes clear why. The upper level consists of two rooms and the stairs actually bring you to the roof on a small walkway. From here, you can clearly see the bulk of the Outer Harbor as well as the Shallow Harbor to your right. You'd certainly be able to view the Deep Harbor if you were on the opposite side of the building.

You enter the door from the south and find yourself in a small, but cozy, office. It's sparsely furnished, with only a desk, two chairs to one side and a map of Totra and Osirion as the only decor. Sitting at the desk is a Half-Orc woman in a neatly pressed naval uniform of an Officer, though the insignia on her breast denotes that her rank is the lowest of such. Without looking up, she says in a clipped tone. Admiral Sa-Hor-Et is currently in an important meeting. She is unavailable at this time. Please come back tomorr- The woman peers up from the paperwork she was busily scribbling on when she stopped, staring at the eclectic group that stood before her. But her gaze was clearly focused on one of you.

Gaphet!? Is that you!? She rose and rushed from behind the desk up to Graitore, grabbing his hand and squeezing it tightly. Wow it's been years! How have you been? How's Sasha? Is she still seeing that Chelliaxian? I told you to tell her he's no good for her! Who are your friends? She paused as she seemed to start processing information. What are you doing here in Totra? Did they send you for joint exercises? I'm sure I'd have seen your name in the documents. Why are you here? Shouldn't you be at the pier for your ship assignment? Her questioning came at you rapid fire, seeming as if she didn't need to breathe. It occurs to you she is oddly short; especially for a half-orc, at barely 5'3".
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

14. - Top - End - #284

SwashbucklerGuy

Gratoire's brooding vanished at the surprising appearance of his old training mate. He very nearly picked up his old friend but remembered the time their fellow trainee, Lorken had done that and received a grueling strike to the groin. He took her hand warmly a big grin on his face.

"It is incredible to see you! I figured I would have to hunt you down through every bar in Totra! But here you are sitting outside the admiral's office. You must have done well for yourself, but I never imagined you would end up with a desk job when you left us to become a squid." He laughs as he remembers the merciless teasing between their military factions. It felt so long ago and seeing Aminta made him feel closer to Gaphet than he had in a long while.

"Sasha is doing well, and when she caught that punk making eyes at her friend she threw him out so far he had to become a citizen of Thuvia. She is still in Sothis and is now running a restaurant that serves Varisian food." He takes a moment to relish the moment of reuniting before returning to the matter at hand.

"Well let me get down to business and maybe if there is time we could spar together again. I too have had a bit of a promotion." He reaches under his armor and tunic to pull out the badge that hung around his neck.

"I am Risen Guard now, and with my new life I have taken the name Gratoire. I would like to introduce my fellow brothers, Zadkiel, Oathbreaker, Osorkon and our ward and purpose of our visit, Astrophel.

We have a missive from the Pharoah to charter a ship and take us down the river to Ipeq. We are accompanying this emissary on the orders of Khemet III to the border of Osirion as he makes his way home to Geb."
    Last edited by thegoldenfedora; 2019-03-22 at 02:34 PM.

15. - Top - End - #285

Osorkon didn’t get a good view of the town coming in, but in the morning as they were looking around he had to keep himself from gawking several times. The ships amazed him, looking like a gateway to grand adventures. He had never been on one either, so he wondered if he’d get seasick easily. While there were many people around, Sothis was crowded as as well at times so he was more looking far than near.

When Gratoire met a friend he decided to stay quiet in the back, simply enjoying the happiness Gratoire seemed to be getting. The enjoyment became half-hearted though, as in the back of his mind he couldn’t shake the vision he’d had, thinking that all happiness must be savored while it could for now.
    Show
    Pending

Show

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Aminta's nose scrunches in confusion. Wait... your the Admiral's noon appointment? She turns and rifles through the papers on the desk before pulling out a piece of parchment and reading aloud. 'Meeting with Foreign Dignitary and Risen Guard escort, Noon tomorrow.' She turns back to Graitore as she slowly processed the information. What kind of name is Oathbreaker? She waves her hands, dismissing her own question. Astrophel stifles a laugh, a quizzical eyebrow aimed at Oathbreaker. Not important. I'm sorry, but Admiral Sa-Hor-Et had a sudden meeting that is both urgent and secretive. I'm afraid until its finished, you cannot see her.

As if on cue, the inner door opened and a middle aged woman poked her head out. Her dark hair was pulled back into a tight top-bun, only a few stray grey hairs breaking the neat style. Ah there they are. Ensign Phoradin, please escort our guests in. They are needed before proceeding. She turns towards you and smiles warmly, crinkles forming around the corners of her mouth and eyes. Welcome to Totra. I'm sorry for being so brusque but I have many matters to attend to. Come along now. The Admiral shuts the door gently, not waiting for anyone's response. There's a moment of pause before Aminta sighed. Alright then... go on in? I guess? I don't know anymore. She puts an arm on Graitore's shoulder and whispered. If you have time, I'd like to catch up. Drinks later tonight, my treat? Or, you know, whenever your free.
    Last edited by MesiDoomstalker; 2019-03-22 at 07:57 PM.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

17. - Top - End - #287

SwashbucklerGuy

Gratoire quickly inhaled as he realized his mistake, feeling rather sheepish for his blunder. He relaxed as Aminta glazed over the odd name, careful not join in Astrophel's stifled laughter.

Gratoire immediately saluted the admiral's as she appeared from the next room. He stifled his surprise when the she announced that they had arrived just in time for a prearranged meeting. The Pharoah was a remarkable planner. He listened dutifully and headed towards the admiral's room when Aminta stopped him.

"What do squids even drink?" Gratoire says with a chuckle. "I wouldn't miss it for the world, Ensign Phoradin." He says placing a jovial accent on her ranking.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

"Kind of an inside thing. He lost a bet," Zadkiel told the ensign in response to the understandable attention Oathbreaker's name raised, trying to put a dismissive spin on it, as though it held far less gravitas than it suggested. Once they were back in private he'd have another word with the others about deciding on an alias for Oathbreaker, he thought as he followed along into the Admiral's office.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

As you enter the room, you are immdiately struck by the sight. Despite the outwards appearance of a small room sitting on the roof with standard sandstone walls but from inside, the room is nothing more than a few support columns holding a roof overhead. Instead of walls, wide arches provide a near-unobstructed view of Totra and her harbors. The faint breeze that comes in shows that the arches are real; it appears the outer facade is a tricky, one-direction illusion. In the center of the open-air'd room is a large wooden diorama of Totra, expertly carved to the finest details. To one side sits a desk, many documents being held down by paper weights form the breeze. Admiral Sa-Hor-Et is leaning over the diorama, seeming to study it intent. Off to the left is a half-elven woman in relatively simple clothes wearing a pinched and mildly annoyed expression. Opposite the half-elf is an garundi man in elaborate silks, a link of chain leading to a single monocle which he is compulsively cleaning with some fabric as you enter. The man looks up at you, mildly confused while the woman spares you only a half-glance.

Welcome Risen Guard; Astrophel of Geb. I am Admiral Sa-Hort-Et of the esteemed Ruby Princes Imperial Navy and Risen Guard. Though I don't get out quite as much as you four. She motions the the half-elf, who steps forward and introduces her self in a cool, quiet voice. Jira Odan, Harbormaster of Totra. Can we- She is cut off by the man who steps across the room, proffering a hand to each of you. Hep Litas; illustrious Mayor of Totra as appointed by his imperial majesty Khemet. The Admiral clears her throat and adds III for the mayor. The man seems unperturbed by the broach of etiquette, eagerly shaking your hands.

After a moment where you introduce yourselves, the Admiral motions for you to approach the diorama. I apologize for our Pharaoh's surreptitious event coordinating. He contacted me ahead of your arrival. I should have assumed he'd fail to inform you of this. Anyways; the reason Jira and Hep are here is the reason I cannot fulfill your acquisition form at the present time. Hep stepped forward, motioning to the edge of the diorama that faced the Inner Sea, to the north.Since our glorious Pharaoh enacted his Laws of Equitable Use some 40 years ago Totra has felt the biggest brunt of its ramifications. Totra's port was the biggest slave market on the Inner Sea and thousands of faces passed through her waters to new destinations. We used to get just as many imported slaves as exported. But the Laws severely hampered the trade; any Slaves leaving port had to abide by the Laws (or else be set free), which dropped our exports significantly. Recently; the Council of Free Slaves have been pressuring Khemet to extend the Laws protections to all slaves within Osirion's boundaries, regardless of origin and that includes the harbor here in Totra. Not to bore you with the details; they get messy. Currently- The Admiral held up a hand, signaling the mayor to stop. He did, though he was clearly miffed by the gesture.

Currently; my ships are occupied acting as glorified customs officers. I have constant patrols in the waters just outside the outer harbor to stop any ship and inspect is cargo for contraband. In particular; any slave that would be illegally held under the Laws of Equitable Use. If any are found, the ship is informed they'd be legally free upon entering the Outer Harbor. This has resulted in, effectively, a self-imposed blockade. She sighed, standing up and crossing her arms behind her. Word has been spreading throughout the Inner Sea of this new change in policy. Slowly, trade in Totra is returning with ships free of illegal slaves. But that hasn't stopped smugglers from trying to bypass my ships.
    Jira, if you please?
    The woman nodded, then tilted her head back and started to hum a soft melody.

The wooden diorama came to life, small motes of light populating it's wooden-waters. The lights soon take on more solid form, ships sitting or moving through the harbors. A number of green ships sat at docks or moved through the shallow and deep harbors, while a handful of blue sit docked in the outer harbor directly to your north. Finally, a few red ships sit at dock in the outer harbor, with one just entering the diorama. The green ships are local resident ships; mostly fishing or personal vessels. Blue is my ships; naval vessels fit for war and defense. Red are foreign ships, mostly merchant. Slowly the ships made of light slow, stop, and then begin moving backwards. You notice on the southern side of the dioaram is a sundial, albeit flat and flush with the surface, that still projects a shadow denoting the time. As the ships move in reverse, so does the illusory shadow and when it crosses 12, the sun symbol morphs into a crescent moon to denote night. The reverse passage of time slows and then restarts back to normal. The sundial indicates it's late at night, around 4 am. All ships are at a dock of some kind, except for one. A purple ship enters the outer harbor from the Inner Sea and moves with surprising quickness towards the docks at the Qaidran Quarter. It stops at the docks there for a moment, before disembarking and leaving the harbor just as quickly as it entered. I became aware of an unknown vessel in the Outer Harbor late last night. I... am attuned to these waters. I am intuitively aware of every ship that sits on their surface. Before I could intercept the ship or draw attention of the fleet out at sea, the ship had already slipped out of the harbor and beyond my senses. By my estimation, it was here less than 5 minutes. The purple ship reenters the diorama, this time moving to a dock in The Narrows, before leaving. And, yet again, entering heading straight for a dock off the Slave Docks before leaving even quicker. This is third such incursion in as many days.

The Admiral places a finger on the purple ship, a small 2-sail Schooner now that it was frozen in place. We've had smugglers before, but nothing like this ship. It's fast and it's consistently bypasses my ships. That is unacceptable. If word gets out, smugglers will get bold and soon illegal slaves will worm their way back into Osirion's slave markets. We have enough issue with corrupt officials turning blind eyes to illegal slaves that enter from the interior. She taps the diorama for emphasis. My men adn women already have their hands full handling legitimate merchants. I don't have the resources to catch this ship; it obviously knows how to slip past my fleet unnoticed. Find this ship; put an end to its activities, whatever they are. Hopefully, that'll discourage others from attempting at least for a time and I can call back my ships for a while.

Hep holds up a finger, waggling it with caution. But... be discreet about it. The last thing we need is riots in the street and calls of marshal law scaring away legitimate merchants. I'll handle the publicity; once its done the culprits will be paraded and their trial public and loud. But not a peep before, ok?

Spoiler
    Show
    Admiral Sa-Hor-Et is one of the few members of Risen Guard to not reside in Sothis nor whose duties involve direct protection of the Pharaoh. She, like her Army counterpart, Sefir Etis, in Ipeq, rose to the position of Risen Guard at the same time they accepted the promotion to the highest rank within their military division. She died and was returned (by Khemet's hand, no less) like any other Risen Gaurd but her role is more towards her title as Admiral than that of Risen Guard. Some of you may have met her before, but such meetings would have been in formal settings where her presence was requested by Khemet and the meetings about naval business. Technically, her rank within the Risen Guard is the same as yours; the Guard has little structure beyond Khopeshman's leadership position. Realistically, most Risen Guard would defer to her or Sefir's command in absence of orders from Khopeshman or Khemet (or if such orders didn't contradict those from either the above). This is the long way of saying that she doesn't, technically, have any authority to command you, but such a command is expected to be followed and is not inherently going against Khemet's orders (as you'd be working actively to fulfill his promise to Astrophel and also carrying out the execution of his writ).

That being said; you can say no and choose to find a different manner of travel such as chartering a foreign or local vessel or continuing on foot. Or you could take the plot hook that I've already written. No pressure.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

Oathbreaker tenses as his name is mentioned to Graitore's friend, but fortunately even as his mind struggles to come up with a way to laugh the matter off to allay any suspicions, Zadkiel is already covering for him.
    The ancient warrior gives the archer a nod of thanks as they file into the Admiral's room moments later, the brief gaff forgotten with the meeting with the Admiral.
    And, apparently, other important members of the city's government.

From what would be likely considered a far more barbaric time, the intricacies of Osirion's slavery laws were lost on Oathbreaker.
    Likewise, whether these unfortunates were considered free or slaves seemed unimportant in the face of Osiron's impending destruction, and this escort of Geb's ambassador had already taken more than enough of their time.

"I am sure if you were alerted by the Pharaoh of our business, then you are aware that we are serving as an escort for an important foreign dignitary."

Oathbreaker nods at Astrophel, trying his best to keep his disdain for this request out of his voice and remain diplomatic.

Spoiler: Bluff
    Show

(1d20+1)[12]

Oathbreaker is able to keep the worst of the bile out of his voice as he continues.

"While I understand your position, certainly you can understand that our duties likewise prevent us from denying - at least without the permission of our charge."

Oathbreaker again nods at Astrophel, idly wondering which way the vampire will decide. If he wishes to temporarily release the group so that they could go chasing some above average in cleverness slavers, then Oathbreaker supposed they could do so. If the ambassador was concerned only with returning home, however, than Oathbreaker would certainly respect his wishes and attempt to locate alternate, unofficial transport.
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2019-03-25 at 07:28 PM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Astrophel's grin had only widened as Oathbreaker spoke with him. My timeframe of returning is large; there is a certain expectation of delay in long distance travel such as this. He drums his fingers in the air, doing the math in his head. Based on my expectation of our speed of travel, I have roughly a month of leeway. Beyond that, we would need to make the best speed to Katapesh. But for now, I am in no rush. Go and assist Admiral Sa-Hor-Et. I can enjoy Totra's wonders in the mean time. I'm sure the illustrious mayor can give me the grand tour of the city. Hep repositioned his outfit just a tad, as he stuffed the monocle into a fold. I'd love to!
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

22. - Top - End - #292

SwashbucklerGuy

Gratoire takes in the interesting sight and creative office design. If he were to ever be so unfortunate as to require an office, this truck if the walls wouldn't be so bad. He logs his wonder for later though and assesses their hosts. The mayor reminded him of a certain nible he had poor dealings with before while the harbormaster seemed quite capable, Gratoire expected she would be very useful for this mission.

"I'm sure you understand our reservation in leaving our ward unattended, however, so long as Astrophel is under the protection of a fellow Risen Guard I see no reason for us to worry. I for one am always glad to assist Osirion"

Gratoire moves over to the map, in his mind it had already become a battlefield. They could either catch it at sea or while it was docked. By sea they would need a means of locating it and being about to catch such a fast ship. By land they would need to decipher where it would make port

"Would you mind if we began to discuss a strategy now? I imagine you may have some ideas as to how we could catch such a ship."

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

"As he said. As long as our fellow Risen are watching our ward I am—still reluctantly—willing to put this new problem first. Now, I'm not a sailor, so the obvious place I would start looking is on land, to find out where they docked, what it is they smuggled in or out. What have your people tried so far?" he asked the admiral.

24. - Top - End - #294

Osorkon takes in the room, wishing he had the skills to draw these wonders later. It would be fantastic to catalogue pictures of the amazing sights he was seeing on this journey. After Astrophel agrees to the group helping in the smuggling matter, Osorkon smiles. ”Sounds like fun. What resources can we borrow if needed? A boat may be quite helpful.”
    Show
    Pending

Show

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

As you finish discussing the situation, the Admiral bids you good luck and sends you on your way. Astrophel stays behind with the Mayor and Jira the Harbormaster follows you out. After a brief direction to find her home, she also departs. You split up, Oathbreaker, IE 'Brig' and Zadkiel heading towards the Qaidran Quarter while Osorkon and Graitore head towards the Narrows first.

Qaidran Quarter
    Its nearly 1 by the time you reach the Qaidran Quarter. There's a distinctive air to the area. The buildings, while clearly Osirion in general structure, have many affectations of distant Qaidra that only a fool would presume it was anything but a small satellite of the long-reach of the Empire. Heavy tapestries adorn outer walls, doors have been replaced with open air entryways blocked by only strings of beads. The dress of those who mill about the street are so similar to one would find anywhere in Osirion but the materials, colors and patterns are distinctly foreign. It truly feels as if you have left Osirion's lands for some far off place. The two of you get more than a few sidelong glances as you move about the streets but otherwise no one bothers you. Nor greets you warmly either.

The docks here are busy, the exotic ships of Qaidran merchants a sharp contrast to the relatively plain ships used by most of the Inner Sea. Here on the waters, the exotic dress has been toned down as the majority of the people moving about are sailors and merchants; far more practical dress is more universally accepted world round when your at sea. Of immediate notice there are a half dozen warehouses sitting directly opposite the docks, presumably holding goods recently brought in or soon to be taken out to sea. Besides the warehouses, there are 4 taverns or pubs that sit opposite the water, and a single pub that sits directly over the water on the western side of the pier. Dozens of people are milling about doing whatever business they are attending too.

Spoiler
    Show
    Currently there are 5 ships at port here, all Qaidran. There are a total of 5 pubs/tavern and 6 warehouses immediately on or by the water. There are more further inland. The pub sitting upon the pier over the waters would be the building closest to where the ship had docked last night. You can approach people here on the pier, one of the boats, warehouses or one of the pubs or an approach of your own design.

The Narrows
    The pier of the Brothers was clean, organized and well maintained, the ships moving efficiently to and fro. The Narrows is not. The pier is uneven as the wood rots in places and has been clumsily repaired a half dozen different times by different artisans. The boats, while moving as efficiently as the rest of Totra's waterways thanks to Jira's guidance, the ones who come and go from this area are in similar state of disrepair and neglect.

Beyond the pier, the buildings fare little better, ancient buildings of stone and wood that chip and rot at the edges and have been clumsily repaired. Few people are moving about here; those who pass through The Narrows stray from the pier here. The few that are around are milling about, doing very little. A few homeless beggars sit against various dilapidated buildings, holding up empty palms for alms towards any who pass nearby. Of the three boats currently docked, only one has any sign of life; a small shipping vessel has a human man milling about on the deck and swearing under his breath. The buildings the line the water seem to be abandoned but then one rickety door pushes open and a woman in rags rushes out on some errand or another. It seems most of the buildings here are places of residents, though whether anyone lives in any of them right now is not easily apparent.

Spoiler
    Show
    Three ships one of which has a salty fisherman on board, 4 beggars, and a half dozen dilapidated buildings of unknown occupancy.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

26. - Top - End - #296

SwashbucklerGuy

"Sounds good. I'll meet you there then." Gratoire return her smile before shuffling out the door and heading to find a ferry.

As they walked through the narrows, Gratoire was reminded of Jira's suggesting to be on the lookout for pickpockets. He stayed alert the whole time, chuckling at the thought of being a bodyguard for a bodyguard.

As they neared the docks and too in their surroundings, Gratoire figured that the seaman would best know about the mystery ship Gratoire gestures to Osorkon in the ships direction and begins approaching.

"I'll let you handle the questions, I can barely lie enough to a child about tooth fairies. I'll be your muscle though so if you want me to scare him let me know."

Spoiler: perception to avoid pickpockets
    Show
    (1d20+9)[21]
    Last edited by thegoldenfedora; 2019-04-04 at 10:58 AM.

27. - Top - End - #297

SwashbucklerGuy

Out of the corner of his eye, Gratoire notices the beggars shuffle at the sound of coin. He gives them a pointed look and shakes his head, never breaking eye contact. Once sure that the message had been sent, he turns back to the sailor but keeps the beggars in view, waiting for their inevitable approach.

Spoiler
    Show
    intimidate check if necessary (1d20+9)[28]

28. - Top - End - #298

Osorkon walks with Gratoire down the Naroows, looking at the beggars briefly before moving on. ”Alright, if I cross my arms then you’ll know to flex on him a little.”

Osorkon walks up the the fisherman, starting out with a bribe, but the fisherman seemed more interested in his net. Osorkon shrugs nonchalantly. ”I can get you a net, but you have to help me first.”

Show
    Bluff: (1d20+10)[27]
    If the fisherman takes the bait, Osorkon will speak of the boat in hushed tones. ”They say there’s a boat that can make fools out of the Navy. You know anything about it?”

If the fisherman doesn’t bite then move on to the beggars. ”Anyone of you with good information on the boat dodging the Navy goons will be getting some coin. My friend here will be the judge of lies.” Osorkon let’s a couple silver coins clink in his hands before returning them to a pocket.
    Last edited by warper; 2019-04-06 at 11:58 AM.
    Show
    Pending

Show

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Qaidran Quarter
    Zadkiel pointed to the tavern on the docks before heading towards it. The squat structure sat low and the wood looked petrified. The front door went the roof and the interior was completely obstructed without any window inside. You get the feeling the building wasn't always used for relaxation and telling of tall tales. A wooden sign hangs over the door, a trillion cut ruby and the name "The Ruby's Brilliance" sits below it. As you enter, the smokey haze of the interior briefly rushes out the open door before it shuts behind you. The smoke is thick, making it difficult to breathe. While there is a bar that sits to the left, most of the patrons are situated in circular enclaves filled with cushions and pillows which has seen better days. In the center of these enclaves are elaborate glass containers, a long hose extending from the container's neck into a patron's mouth, before exhaling a cloud of thick smoke which adds to the haze. The other patrons don't react to your entrance but a squat, rotund Keleshyte man behind the bar stares you down with beady eyes. Welcome to The Ruby's Brilliance. What's your poison? He speaks eloquently but with a hint of an accent. His Osirioni is excellent but clearly not his native tongue.

The Narrows
    The old fisherman stares at the two of you for a long minute, slowly examining you before he responds. Aye. Get me that net yer promisin' and I might be in a more conversational mood. The beggars on the street haven't moved, but are pointedly not looking your direction.

Spoiler
    Show
    It'll take (1d6)[5]x10 minutes to find someone selling a net and bring it back. It'll cost 5 gp for an average quality net but if you splurge and get a masterwork fishing net (55 gp), the fisherman will probably but much more talkative.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

"Let's start with an ale, one for me and one for my bud here," he indicated to Oathkeeper."I been out of town a while. I miss anything big?"
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2019-04-09 at 02:18 AM.