Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] The Risen Guard of Osirion; Forged in Strife and Fire

Osorkon nods to the fisherman. ”We’ll be back.” He then leaves with Gratoire to find a fishing net. After about an hour Osorkon comes back, carefully guarding his person after Gratoire warned him about the beggars. He waves the masterwork net in front of the fisherman before tossing it over. ”That. Wasn’t. Cheap. You better have something good.”
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Pending

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoldenfedora
    You beautiful bastard, making me agree with you by complimenting me

Fantastic Avatar by smuchmuch!

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Qaidran Quarter
    The man continued to stare at you for a moment, before setting down two somewhat clean mugs and pouring them full with a dark amber liquid. Depends. How long you've been away? Lotta stuff can happen but a week and a year are quite different.

The Narrows
    As you return, you see the fisherman is still on his boat, but he's no longer fussing with the old net. He seems to have taken to a pipe waiting for you and wears a noticeably surprised face as you return with such a high quality net. As you hand it over, he runs his fingers over the netting, almost reverently. As you wait for him to speak, you take a look around the small pier. The number of boats docked hadn't changed, nor had any boats left or returned. Two of the beggars from before had left, while a new one had taken an old one's place, just at the end of the pier of the fisherman's boat. Alright. Deals deal, ye? He made a point of looking around before motioning you closer. He began to whisper, albeit it was barely quieter than his normally fairly loud voice. I heard boutta boat that's been sneakin' inta the harbors late at night. Has sails o' crimson they say. "[Bloodsail]" The word was somewhat choppy; clearly he didn't speak the language. Now idea if it true. Sailors like to tell tall tales ya know. But I think she be real. The night 'fore last, I swore I saw a streak o' red moving across the water, when i was heading home after a night on the town. Didn't think much of it then.

Spoiler
    Show
    The word in [brackets] is in the Keleshyte language. As I haven't really mentioned it; assume that NPC's are speaking in Osirioni or Common at any point unless I mention otherwise.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

3. - Top - End - #303

Osorkon leans in as well in anticipation. He whispers even lower than the fisherman. ”You know anyone who claims to have seen it? They talk about the crew?” Osorkon waits with bated breath.
    Show
    Pending

Show

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ettin in the Playground

"Out in the desert for months, on business," Zadkiel said dismissively. "Was in the capital before that." He discreetly paid for his drink with a small stack of gold coins, far beyond even a generous tip, before he quietly continued. "Outfit I work for, wants to move some stuff north on the quick and quiet. Heard a ship put in the other day that fits that bill. Know anything about that?"

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Qaidran Quarter
    The barkeep nods, sparing only half a glance at the stack of coins. I know a few. Don't leave the port without a couple of lucky dice though. What you looking to haul? Grain? Or your second cousin!? He laughed, boisterously, as if he had said some inside joke.

Spoiler
    Show
    the barkeep is speaking in Thieves Cant; basically a coded way of speaking to relay information discreetly. This works just like the Bluff check for secret messages, requiring a DC 15 for simple messages or DC 20 for complex ideas. He's passed his check so the translation of above is;
    "I know a few. It'll cost you at least twice as much as you've offered before I tell you anything. What are you looking to haul? Stolen goods? Slaves?"
    For the sake of reference, I'm assuming you put down about 20 gp.

If you want to keep up the Thieve's Cant, just make a Bluff check. You don't have to write your dialogue coded if you don't like but if you do, please put down the translation in a spoiler.

The Narrows
    The old fisherman nodded sagely, pointing vaguely to the north. Aye. Bud-o-mine who're works at da Slave Docks said he saw them. He's a right mean drunk and were plastre' when he say he saw 'em. Names Jorge, nice fella so'long 'e sober. Can't miss 'em, tall bloke from across the Sea. Cheliax. Work's fer a man they call da Endless Drummer. He's got a big building for all his cargo with a big drum sign hanging over the street. Jorge should be workin' bout now. 'Opefully he's sober. He pauses before adding. But I dinnae sent ya.
    Last edited by MesiDoomstalker; 2019-04-12 at 11:13 PM.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

6. - Top - End - #306
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Gratoire eyed the new beggar suspiciously, his bodyguard brain already creating the scenario of the original group of beggars getting a tougher friend to help rob their mark. As Osorkon found valuable information, Gratoire scanned the area looking for other potential threats hiding to join what Gratoire felt was an inevitable melee. He started to create scenarios in his mind, it would be best to stay on the dock for a fight, the narrower area would allow him to better control where the enemy would come from and also keep any enemy away from his ward.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ettin in the Playground

"Hah! Wish I could ship my brother-in-law with the grain, just to see the look on his face when they dump him out the barrel," he said in a similar boisterous tone, before quieting down again. "But it's spices actually. Rare stuff, from the deep desert."

Spoiler
    Show

Putting 50g on the table. His message is that he needs passage for himself and his companion, with magical/alchemical substances.

Bluff: (1d20+15)[30]
    If he misses the DC 20, he'll use one of his rerolls: (1d20+15)[19]

8. - Top - End - #308

Osorkon nods vigorously. ”Very good. Thank you. If this pans out I may have more for you.” Osorkon will leave, shaking the man’s hand on his way out. Osorkon immediately starts heading towards the slave docks but pauses long enough to say, ”I didn’t hear it from anyone.” to assure the fisherman.
    Show
    Pending

Show

9. - Top - End - #309

SwashbucklerGuy

With information in hand, Gratoire takes the lead ensuring that his large frame separates the beggar from Osorkon. He keeps his eyes peeled and hands ready for trouble as they cross in front of the suspicious person.

Spoiler: sense motive check on the beggar to see if he means to attack or steal
    Show
    (1d20+1)[18]
    Or a perception check if necessary (1d20+9)[18]

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Qaidran Quarter
    Spices eh? I know someone who knows spices. I'll have to talk to my father about it first, though. You know how it is. Come back around long shadow and we'll talk more.

Spoiler
    Show
    "Magical stuff? I know a guy who can help. Gotta check with the boss first. Come back at sunset, and I'll have more information."

The Narrows
    The man nods and goes back to his netting, making preparations to set sail. As you move back towards the dock, Graitore noticed the beggar who was sitting at the end of the pier was tensed, ready to move quickly. He was certainly going to make a move. Before you could do anything to deter him, he dashed forward, slamming into Graitore and a swift hand grabbing a pouch from the man's waist. Your preparedness allowed you to recover quickly, grabbing the man's arm before he was out of reach.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll Initiative and Graitore, make a Str check. If you meet or beat DC 17, you start the combat with a grapple. Otherwise, he'll slip out of your fingers.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ettin in the Playground

"Sounds good. I'll see you 'round, then." Zadkiel nodded, finished his drink, and turned to depart. He played it casual, but was always on alert for someone who might have been listening. Thieves' Cant was for misleading ignorant bystanders and lawmen, neither of which he was worried about at this point.

Spoiler
    Show

In case he is followed on the way out:

Perception: (1d20+14)[17] to notice a tail
    Stealth: (1d20+14)[22] to lose them

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Qaidran Quarter
    You step back out into the bright, midday sun and must take a moment adjusting to the brightness. The brisk, salty sea air is refreshing after spending time in the smokey den. You begin moving away from the docks, moving at seeming randomly turns and directions, working only vaguely in a southerly direction. It doesn't take long for you to notice a pair of figures keeping pace with you, at a respectable non-threatening distance. You'd catch glimpses of them just as you round a corner. You increase your pace, increase the frequency and randomness of your movements, ducking through the crowd and through narrow allies. You kept this up for an hour, making little headway, having run through the Qaidran District it seems a dozen times and yet your followers remain on your tail.

Spoiler
    Show
    At the moment, your somewhere in the Qaidran District, near the southern border. Your pursuers have not been shaken. Your on a busy street, with several small alleyways off the main road. They seem content to follow you, and have made no move to close the gap between you nor approach you in anyway.

The Narrows
    The beggar slips out of Graitore's grasp, the sudden speed he moved giving him the advantage in the split-second altercation. He dashed from the pier, moving with astounding swiftness, turning a sharp left at the end of the pier. He collided briefly with another man, who shouted in annoyance as the beggar continued running. The man angrily stuffed his fists in his pocket before moving forward, grumbling. However, Graitore noticed that the beggar had shoved his pouch into the man's hands and the man had then stuffed the pouch into his own pocket.

Spoiler
    Show
    No map for this one; the running Beggar is 50 ft away while the man he ran into is only 30 ft away. The end of the pier is 20 ft; Beggar is 30 ft further south (left), while the man is 10 ft further north (right).
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

13. - Top - End - #313

SwashbucklerGuy

Gratoire looks down angrily at his empty hand for a brief moment before giving chase to the pickpocket. He may be fast, but Gratoire wasn't losing any marathons either. When he noticed the changing of hands, he immediately changes course and barrels into the new owner of his coin purse. Not giving a chance for the man to lie or defend himself, Gratoire reaches out and grabs his wrist, twisting it painfully as he wrapped his other large arm around and holding the man in place. "Drop it or I take the arm with me!"

Spoiler
    Show
    move action: move up to 30' beggar
    Swift action: snag (1d20+8)[15]
    Standard action: grapple (1d20+13)[18]

14. - Top - End - #314

Osorkon wastes no time rushing down the docks, beginning his chant while cutting his hand for a bit of blood. ”Saphenous Epistaxis.” He saw Gratoire tackle the man but figured Gratoire had that man under control. Osorkon could feel the beggars blood and started to squeeze. ”Come back or die, your choice.”

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Blood Control: Fortitude DC 18. If he fails he takes 10 points of damage at the start of his turn. Afterwards he can attempt to end it as a standard action. Osorkon takes 2 nonlethal damage.
    Show
    Pending

Show

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

"Don't look now," Zadkiel told Oathbreaker quietly, "but I can't shake these guys tailing us. Can't go to the others now, nor to investigate the next dock or they'll put two and two together if they haven't already. I have a spell that could help but not sure if I can get it done fast enough. You have any ideas?"

Spoiler
    Show

Fortunately, Zadkiel has two 2nd level spells and knows Invisibility, which lasts 5 minutes at this level. Unfortunately, it has a Verbal component and he would need 12 seconds to get both spells away. If he judges he's far enough away that they might mistake the verbal components for normal speech (blabbing at length about some random subject just before, for good measure), he will get around a corner and cast them on himself and Oathbreaker, and head to an inn. Once they have a room, he can start making disguises for them both before they investigate the next dock.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

"We can either lose them, confront them, or deceive them by going to an inn or other public place and remaining there. Hrmm . . . going into someplace like an inn or tavern and getting a private room may also allow us time to employ invisibility magics."

Oathbreaker suggests, not bothering to look back to see if their tails were still following them.

"It is clear that we will not be able to investigate anything else today if we do not lose these individuals. Perhaps losing them is the best idea after all, although if we question multiple arms of the same organization, we may alarm them by the number of their people suddenly being questioned in the same day. The man we talked to is closely a smuggler of some sort - how likely do you think it is that he's connected to the smugglers that we're looking for? That should decide whether we cast additional nets or rely on this one's particular answer."
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

"We'll duck into an inn to kill time until the meeting, get our disguises ready, leave under invisibility. Then we can decide how to proceed after the meeting. How's that sound?"

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

"Agreed."

Oathbreaker starts looking for a nearby higher-end but discrete inn, the sort that might cater to clients who had money to spend, but still wanted the anonymity of the dive-level establishments.
    In an effort to keep up the ruse that they are out of town people (which is hardly a lie), he even questions a few passer-by who look like they might be helpful.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Qaidran Quarter
    It took little effort to find a place to stay for the well-to-do in the Qaidran Quarter; though it quickly becomes apparent the establishment caters to the districts namesake as its accommodations sport fine imported silks and plush pillows in lieu of more traditional Osirion linens. While you were unable to secure a private room prior to your tails entering the establishment, they made no motion to follow you down the hall to the room you had rented. The door of the room was solid, the lock well made and the window high above the street below. You had reasonable expectation that no one could spy on you without extreme effort.

Spoiler
    Show
    It'll cost 10 GP for the room and comes with a lavish meal delivered to the room later in the day. You have approximately 6 hours prior to sunset (including travel time back to the pier). Unless you want to do something besides wait in the room till then, I'm going to pause you guys so we don't have the party split by a huge time difference.

The Narrows
    Graitore effortlessly caught up with the man who had actually pocketed his belongings. At first, the man looked at you like a madman, ready to tell you off and let him go when he saw Osorkon assault the beggar with a splatter of blood. His eyes darted between the two of you before his free hand drew wicked, curved dagger from a hidden sheath and effortlessly sunk it into your ribs. Before the dagger was withdrawn, you felt his skin become clammy and the metal blade in your chest felt far too flimsy before they both vanished from your eyes and grasp. Half a second later, the man was now further down the street, appearing from nothing in the stance he was in a moment ago. But he quickly disappears behind a building, out of sight.

Unfortunately, Osorkon's blood control failed to take hold of the beggar-thief, causing only a slight stagger in his stride. However, he stops, seeing his accomplice slip through Graitore's fingers and changes course heading straight to the squat line of buildings sitting opposite the pier. With an effortless grace, he leapt up to the building's roof, scrabbling over top of it and disappearing past its lip.

Spoiler
    Show
    For clarity; the non-Beggar used Fading Strike from Veiled Moon to attack and teleport, whlie the Beggar used Leaping Dragon to... jump gud.
    Graitore took 7 damage.
    While you are not aware of their exact positions, both would require a full Run action to (theoretically) catch up with. The Beggar would also require some method of vertical traversal to scale the building. Due to their relative positions this is a point where you must decide who to chase (or to chase at all).
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

20. - Top - End - #320

SwashbucklerGuy

Gratoire grunts at the sudden pain, but quickly forgets the pain as his hands go from holding his thief to holding nothing at all. Without a moment of hesitation, he charges after the teleporting vagabond realizing much too late that this was no ordinary pickpocket. Anger and pride pushed him to quickly give chase.

Spoiler
    Show
    full run action to catch up to the thief with the pouch
    Last edited by thegoldenfedora; 2019-04-23 at 05:08 PM.

21. - Top - End - #321

Annoyed by the turn of events and not wanting both to get away, Osorkon steps between space to stand next to Gratoire. You touches his shoulder while cutting his own arm. ”Brace yourself for warp! Varp Vises”. He shouts. Gratoire disappears, appearing immediately off towards the beggar. Osorkon wastes no time himself, running after Gratoire’s appearing form in the distance.

Show
    Use “Shift” to teleport as a swift action next to Gratoire and then use teleport with a standard action to move him up to 175ft towards his target. Then use move action to follow.
    Spent: 1 spell point and 2 nonlethal.
    Last edited by warper; 2019-04-24 at 08:38 AM.
    Show
    Pending

Show

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ettin in the Playground

Once they were in the privacy of the inn, Zadkiel finally relaxed a little with a sigh, and slumped into a soft chair. "Had to be an expensive place," he muttered. "How much coin you got? Between the tavern and this room I'm running real low. As you've seen, this business gets expensive fast."

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

The Narrows
    Osorkon's magic threw Graitore to the roof of the nearest building. After a moment of orientating himself, the man spotted the thief running down the street and took off after him. He dove through the air, colliding with the thief who let out a surprise yelp. Just as the duo collided, Osorkon rounded the corner, spotting them some 40 ft off. The thief scrabbles to his feet, taking a sharp right down an alleyway.

Spoiler
    Show
    Graitore takes 7 fall damage and is knocked prone. But so is the thief. He gets an AoO; don't forget you'll take a -4 for hitting from prone. Osorkon does not have LoS right now and needs to move at least 40 ft before he does so.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

24. - Top - End - #324

SwashbucklerGuy

Gratoire stumbles with the sudden teleportation. Without taking the time to readjust himself he stumbles roughly in the direction of his fleeing quarry. As soon as he lays eyes on him, he leaps from the building and tackles the pickpocket.

Lying on the ground, he props himself up and shakes his head, getting his eyes to readjust, inwardly wondering just how much this was worthwhile. Realizing that the pickpocket was already standing and running away, he launched a hastened fist hopping to stumble him.

Spoiler
    Show
    attack from prone (1d20+4)[9]
    Non-lethal Damage (1d8+3)[9]

As his fist grabbed at air, Gratoire propped himself up and ran after the pickpocket.
    Last edited by thegoldenfedora; 2019-04-25 at 05:14 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325

Osorkon shifts between space and then rushes forward, finally spotting the action. Osorkon draws from his open cut more blood before feeling for the thieves. ”Saphenous Epistaxis!” He shouts, attempting to squeeze this one’s blood into submission.

Show
    Osorkon uses his 10’ swift action teleport, move 30’ and then cast Blood Control: Fortitude DC 18. If he fails he takes 10 points of damage at the start of his turn. Afterwards he can attempt to end it as a standard action. Osorkon takes 2 nonlethal damage.
    Show
    Pending

Show

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

"Don't worry about it."

Oathbreaker says, nonchalantly reaching into his bulging coin purse to produce the 20 GP for the requested room and meals for both of them.

"We should appear to be wealthy clients, yes?"

Oathbreaker says more quietly to Zadkiel once they are alone. He picks at the lavish food that is provided to them, clearly aware of how to eat most of the traditional dishes but just as clearly finding most of them not to his taste.
    Or maybe there is simply something on the ancient warrior's mind as he continues to fret until finally giving voice to his thoughts.

"While I understand the necessity of this deception, I find myself ill-suited to these sorts of hunts. Most of my . . . tasks have been more straightforward."

Oathbreaker hisses, making a slicing motion with his hand.

"Find the target. Eliminate the target. I know what I am to do, and to whom. This aimless . . . fishing for the one we wish to find is unfamiliar to me. Does it always feel this . . . purposeless?"

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ettin in the Playground

"I can make us some disguises, but a wealthy look will make us stick out once we're back out on the street."

Zadkiel sat up straight again at Oathbreaker's line of questioning. "There's always a purpose. How do we know who to eliminate, when they don't stand up and show themselves? And how do we know who best to eliminate, to cut the head off a conspiracy instead of dealing with one minion after another until, the gods forbid, one of them gets lucky? The enemy is out there, guaranteed, but sometimes you have to fish for him and see who bites."

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

The Narrows
    Graitore swung at the retreating man, unable to find purchase as the man slipped past his fingers. Osorkon's blood zipped through the air, seeping into the man's wounds and he spasmed as he ran; Osorkon had made contact. Graitore managed to keep up pace with the man, a fact he found extremely surprising. Just back off already! He jabbed straight with his dagger and as Graitore moved to dodge, his arm disappeared and then reappeared at an odd angle. Luckily, Graitore's armor blocked the blow. Once more, he ran away ducking around yet another corner at amazing speed.

Spoiler
    Show
    He failed his save vs. Blood Control and took his 10 damage. Graitore missed, but so did the Thief so yay! He's 70 ft away now, without line-of-sight, so no charging or Teleporting to catch up. You do get an AoO first though.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

29. - Top - End - #329

Osorkon continues to pressure the thief’s blood but divides his attention to keep pace. Osorkon looks at the building the thief ran behind and cut a fresh mark on his arm. ”Varp Vises. he calls as he draws a circle with his bloody dagger in the air. He disappears, only to reappear on top of the building at the corner. He shifts, feeling his stomach so a flip as he blinks a bit further along the building to keep up.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Osorkon spends a move action to concentrate. Then a standard to warp up to the building with a spell point if it’s farther than 65’. Finally using a swift to “Shift” 10’ to keep up.
    Osorkon takes 2 nonlethal, probably spends a spell point depending on the heights of the building, and spends another use of his shift. The thief takes 10 points of damage on his turn and can always spend a standard to remove my control afterwards with a fortitude save.
    Last edited by warper; 2019-04-30 at 02:20 PM.
    Show
    Pending

Show

30. - Top - End - #330

SwashbucklerGuy

As he feels his armor deflect the attack, Gratoire twists his torso allowing the blade to slide past him. Using the moment to his advantage, Gratoire brings his arm up over the thief's and quickly chops at the man's neck.
    "Why would I?!" he yells in response, continuing to give chase.
    Spoiler
    Show
    AOO (1d20+8)[22]
    Non lethal Damage (1d8+3)[5]
    Last edited by thegoldenfedora; 2019-04-30 at 02:26 PM.