New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: OOTS #1142 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by masonwheeler View Post
    How would "the slightest disagreement" between Thor and the Dark One create a new Snarl? I thought it only emerged after Ages of infighting between four entire pantheons, and required so much disagreement over such a long period of time that its creation was so subtle that none of them noticed and so it took them all off guard.

Also... does Thor's comment there sound like foreshadowing to anyone else? Calling it now: they'll destroy the Snarl by creating a counter-Snarl with the Dark One's help and having the two annihilate each other.
    If Loki thinks "unmake the world" is something they could do within 10 minutes, it seems likely that they could create a world in a relatively short amount of time. (A day? A week? A month? A year?) It might have literally been a matter of minutes between "Hey guys, let's create a new world together!" to "What the heck just happened to Ares!?"

And the gods definitely seem to have a better-safe-than-shredded-to-bits-sorry policy. They might not know how big a snarl has to be to be deadly, but they also REALLY don't want to find out.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by A.A.King View Post
    "My Fault"? I'm guessing the whole idea of creating the Goblin race as XP Fodder for Clerics was Thor's idea?
    That's my bet as well... emphasis on "bet."

When you wake up one morning with a killer hangover and a race of followers who have to die in battle or be damned forever, you gotta make sure they have something to fight.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

How would "the slightest disagreement" between Thor and the Dark One create a new Snarl? I thought it only emerged after Ages of infighting between four entire pantheons, and required so much disagreement over such a long period of time that its creation was so subtle that none of them noticed and so it took them all off guard.
    /COULD/ create one. Could being the operative word there. They probably don't know exactly what it took to make the snarl appear, so he doesn't want to risk making the situation even worse by adding in another mini-snarl.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting, now we know why the gods can't just wait out for another Dark One. Arising has to happen without their input, if they intentionnally made things so that new gods would arise they would not get a new quiddity. I believe that may also explain why there is so few ascended mortals: they had to get the pre-existing gods approval.

However that doesn't expalin why the Dark One can't help for the next world (apart from being a contrarian). I hope Thor explains next strip.
    That happened only once. The gods don't know the exact causes and are not willing to experiment. How much disagreement is too much? How many gods need to be involved? For how long? Nobody knows and nobody wants to find out. Better safe than sorry.

Also... does Thor's comment there sound like foreshadowing to anyone else? Calling it now: they'll destroy the Snarl by creating a counter-Snarl with the Dark One's help and having the two annihilate each other.
    I don't think you can destroy chaos by throwing more chaos at it. Same goes for anger, discord disagreement and all of the other things the Snarl was born of.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    And the gods definitely seem to have a better-safe-than-shredded-to-bits-sorry policy. They might not know how big a snarl has to be to be deadly, but they also REALLY don't want to find out.
    Some of them, at least. The Godsmoot made it abundantly clear that "The Gods" as a single organization with a single policy is not a thing in any way in this world.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fan67 View Post
    I wonder if he really tried to kill Dark One.

I also wonder what is his plan of reasoning with him.
    CG god of barbarians sees a new LE god of monsters
    I wonder...
    As for the colour - the goblin who became the dark one was purple (anyone know what specific subrace that is supposed to be?)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    If Loki thinks "unmake the world" is something they could do within 10 minutes, it seems likely that they could create a world in a relatively short amount of time. (A day? A week? A month? A year?) It might have literally been a matter of minutes between "Hey guys, let's create a new world together!" to "What the heck just happened to Ares!?"

As a anyone who ever built sandcastles can tell you, destruction is generally must faster than construction.
    Forum Wisdom

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I don't think you can destroy chaos by throwing more chaos at it. Same goes for anger, discord disagreement and all of the other things the Snarl was born of.
    Why not? It worked in Dragonlance. Repeatedly.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Five gold says the snarl thing will be solved by cooperation and not more fighting.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Also, the energy output of a Snarl-antiSnarl reaction might eradicate the multiverse.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

"...totally Metal"

Thor said METAL!

I'm totally in the tank(ard) for this!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Why not? It worked in Dragonlance. Repeatedly.
    If you say so. I don't know what that is.
    Forum Wisdom

13. - Top - End - #43
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Some of them, at least. The Godsmoot made it abundantly clear that "The Gods" as a single organization with a single policy is not a thing in any way in this world.
    I think "Let's not get anywhere near creating another Snarl" and "Let's keep the Snarl locked up" are literally the only two things that they unanimously support.

As a anyone who ever built sandcastles can tell you, destruction is generally must faster than construction.

True, so maybe hours instead of minutes. But the point is, there's a strong possibility that it was a lot less than "ages".

NOTE: I'm gonna go back and look at what Shojo says. I realize his exposition has an asterix on it for potential inaccuracies, but it's the best account we have until and unless Thor (or one of the other gods) provides more exposition.

EDIT: OK, Shojo says the Snarl grew with each passing day, so we are taking on a scale of days, at least.
    Last edited by Grey Watcher; 2018-09-29 at 11:11 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    As for the colour - the goblin who became the dark one was purple (anyone know what specific subrace that is supposed to be?)
    I'm pretty sure he's just a regular goblin with various unusual traits. The skin color in particular may be a riff on Drizzt Do'Urden's purple eyes.
    Spoiler
    Show

Do you surmise it's wise to have laser beams emitting from your eyes?
    -They Might Be Giants, "The Lady and the Tiger"

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Considering Thor has full control over his image of the Dark One, it's funny that he has him glare angrily at Minrah, Durkon and himself.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agnostik View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I for one would totally be fine with 100-200 strips of this Thor and the Dark One sitcom. A series of hilarious misunderstandings would cause each episode to end with a new Snarl unmaking creation but it'd be back to normal at the start of the next one.
    You could call it The God Couple.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

17. - Top - End - #47
    Colossus in the Playground

A D&D novel series, and attached campaign setting, of hotly debated qualify. Known for such gems as "too much good makes you evil" and for elves who are essentially Nazis because they're the first race created by the gods of good.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Barbarian in the Playground

It took four years to build the World Trade Centers, but only two hours to bring them down.
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    CG god of barbarians sees a new LE god of monsters
    I wonder...
    I think he was supposed to be unique.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    A D&D novel series, and attached campaign setting, of hotly debated qualify. Known for such gems as "too much good makes you evil" and for elves who are essentially Nazis because they're the first race created by the gods of good.
    Thanks for the info. I will go on a limb and say that if that is representative of the logic that is valid in these parts, then its ideas on how to defeat a creature of pure chaos are not worth investigating.
    Forum Wisdom

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coventry View Post
    There is no way that Red Cloak (the goblin) will forgive all that has happened.

Wait ... will Durkon end up wearing The Red Cloak (thereby becoming the new HPoDO) once all is said and done?!?

Nope. I think I should forget that thought...
    I’ve been thinking this for a few strips now. Ill type up my theory tomorrow if I have time.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quinton250 View Post

I’ve been thinking this for a few strips now. Ill type up my theory tomorrow if I have time.
    I hope your theory accounts for Redcloak specifying that the Crimson Mantle only works for a goblinoid cleric.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

Ah, that's why he needs Durkon.

Only Nixon could go to China.
    "It's often uncomfortable, but in the long run it makes more sense to deal with reality."
    - Michael Abrash

"The more discipline you have, the more freedom you have."
    - Bjork

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Coventry View Post
    There is no way that Red Cloak (the goblin) will forgive all that has happened.

Wait ... will Durkon end up wearing The Red Cloak (thereby becoming the new HPoDO) once all is said and done?!?

Nope. I think I should forget that thought...
    That is why we never see Durkon's father, he was clearly Red Cloak's niece.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I suppose that's why they Rich stated that they can't simply kill The Dark One anymore, because it might create a second snarl.

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    I didn't think they could create more snarls. Of course, they didn't mention color theory until now.
    Why woulnd't they be able to make more Snarls? Color theory only explains why they can't get rid of the original, it doesn't change anything about how the Snarl was created.

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by blademan9999 View Post
    I suppose that's why they Rich stated that they can't simply kill The Dark One anymore, because it might create a second snarl.
    No, they couldn't kill the Dark One anymore because he after being a good for a bit he's built up a lot of soul power. Rich explained that as well.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

The original trilogy came out in the late 80's and it was awesome. The later works...not so much, IMO. But the original trilogy spawned the Kender i.e. a halfling-type race of universal kleptomaniacs.

OT: Thor is demonstrating an enormous amount of humility. I cannot help but wonder what Loki is like.

And given that Loki sent Hilgya to join Nale and the Linear Group way back when I wonder if we'll get a face to face between those two. Hopefully one that doesn't involve Hilgya's death.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    When the best outcome of a plan is 'an evil Lich obtains supreme power and conquers most of if not all the world,' you need a better plan.
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun The frumious Bandersnatch!”

"Eeeek!!!!"

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

Knowing all this can't be good for Durkon's life-post resurection.

Roy:We have freed you from Hel. Are you back to your Thor loving-self?

Durkon: Have I told you of the good news about The Dark One?

30. - Top - End - #60

BlueWizardGirl

All pretty much as I expected; to me, the most interesting piece of new information here is that the other gods are already aware of The Plan.

I do think there's potential for successful negotiations here. The main goal of the Dark One and of Redcloak is to create a world where goblinoids are treated equally; the point of the Plan is to gain control of the Snarl in order to be able to have a strong negotiating position. If the Dark One can obtain concessions on the status of goblinoids by agreeing to help the other gods, rather than by threatening them, that's just as advantageous for him as well as being less risky. It achives his current objective, just using a carrot rather than a stick.

Also, it's not like any of the the other times Redcloak has had the option of choosing to give up the Plan. Here, he wouldn't be being asked to accept the inequality of goblins that is built into the structure of the world; he'd be being given a similar (and better) option for addressing it. There's at least a possibility that he'd go for it.

It really is an option that allows all sides to get what they want; the main obstacle is lack of trust.
    Last edited by LadyEowyn; 2018-09-29 at 12:34 PM.