Ogre in the Playground

Default Ironcage Keep OoC

Alright everybody, welcome to the game.

Leo, human "paladin" cleric of Heironeous
    Looks finished to me.
    Frith Strigo, human cleric of St. Cuthbert
    Looks finished to me.
    Melrik, dwarf rogue
    Just needs to finish gear (assuming you have money left).
    Obergrym ab Glimmerfelz, dwarf barbarian
    Looks finished to me.
    Jade Bhar, human druid
    Looks finished to me. You could get a scroll with that remaining gold, if you wanted, +2cp.

You guys are looking good; pretty sturdy party, albeit no arcanist. Please check in and choose a speech color. I'll have an IC up sometime today. Also, when we get started, I'll convert my signature to have links to your sheets, as well as the initiative order, spell durations, statuses, etc. I'll have numbered grid-maps for exploration and combat.

I play things pretty by-the-book, fyi.

Reposting:
    Spoiler: house rules
    Show
    Hitpoints: Max at 1st, then modified rolls thereafter:
    1d4 = 1d3+1
    1d6 = 1d4+2
    1d8 = 1d6+2
    1d10 = 1d6+4
    1d12 = 1d8+4

Other Notes:
    -I will roll for anything you shouldn't know the result of.
    -fractional bab/saves, going from a bad save to a good save starts you at +1, not +2
    -Don't put ranks in appraise, craft, decipher script, or profession.
    -Don't specialize in mounted combat if you are medium-sized.
    -If you hit a target's AC on the number, you graze it for half damage, if it's a crit confirmation roll, you don't get the crit.
    -I may use a soft death rule, where -10 or lower just means you can't be stabilized until magically brought to -9 or higher; within a minute or two of below -9, you die for good.
    -Riding dogs have +2 nat armor.
    -Magic item identification will be a function of spellcraft, with a bonus from bardic knowledge, and the identify spell will give a +20 bonus, from here.
    -you can take your hand off/put it on a two-handed item as a free action, and switch a weapon to a free hand as a free action
    -if you are using both hands in combat already, you cannot make an off-hand attack with something else (armor spikes, unarmed strike, etc)
    -Combat maneuvers (bull rush, grapple, trip, etc.) against flat footed opponents gain +2
    -Strewn bodies are usually considered rubble, difficult terrain, or obstacles, and blood may make the floor slick.
    -Sometimes certain actions don't require the whole action, for instance: bending down to pick up an item - this might cost two squares of movement instead of an entire move action.
    -verbal components can be heard with a DC 0 listen check

I'm also going to hide my normal signature link here.

..........O L J F
    Last edited by Seharvepernfan; 2018-10-01 at 03:15 PM.
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ironcage Keep OoC

Obergrym shall speak in teal.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jade will speak in Lime. Also, when giving orders to Meep, she'll speak in italic lime. A scroll would be a good idea.
    Also, I'm sorry but I'm going on a class trip for 5 days so I won't be able to play for that time. Could you play my character?
    Last edited by Book Wombat; 2018-09-30 at 05:35 AM.
    . .-. .-. --- .-. / ....- ----- ....- ---... / -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. / -. --- - / ..-. .. -. -.. / --.- ..- . ... - .. --- -. / ---... -.--.-

Discord: Bookwhyrm#4020, feel free to DM.

Book Wombat's Extended Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    -. --- - / -- ..- -.-. .... / .... . .-. .

4. - Top - End - #4

Frith remembers his lessons: "Thou shalt speak in bolded brown."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Book Wombat View Post
    Also, I'm sorry but I'm going on a class trip for 5 days so I won't be able to play for that time. Could you play my character?
    Yeah, that's fine. I just realized Niobaran is on vacation too; they said so earlier in the recruitment thread, which is why he never finished his gear.
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, here we go: Ironcage Keep IC

Still waiting for Amana to check in, but you guys are free to get started. Never be afraid to ask me anything in the OoC thread. Always try to let me know what your character is currently holding, which route you take to a given position, and anything your character adds to their inventory. I also want to know your marching order and formation. I'll play Melrik and Jade somewhat passively until their players get back, but you guys can request them to do something, like scouting in melrik's case for instance.

We'll say Jade is holding her quarterstaff and her hawk is riding on her shoulder, and Melrik is holding his light crossbow, which is now loaded.

I rule that verbal components requires a DC 0 listen check to hear, the same as "talking"; just remembered this, so I'll add it to the "houserules".
    Last edited by Seharvepernfan; 2018-09-30 at 08:43 PM.
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

7. - Top - End - #7

HalflingRangerGuy

Hey. Sorry about the delay. Busy weekend. Is medium blue still available?

8. - Top - End - #8

Frith stands alongside Leo and Obergrym. It seems like Jade brings up the rear? Melrik can go scout ahead, but Frith would stay reasonable close, never further away than a 1-round sprint. (Unless Melrik would instruct him to stay further behind on account of something like this happening...)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Or use some druidic mumbo-jumbo to calm the birds,
    I did not think of that.
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure Obergrym did either, but it seems applicable: Calm Animals

No reason to think Obergrym would know the existance of that spell, but he might suspect something like it?! Anyways, that's why he didn't say anything, but just thought it to himself.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not sure Obergrym did either, but it seems applicable: Calm Animals

No reason to think Obergrym would know the existance of that spell, but he might suspect something like it?! Anyways, that's why he didn't say anything, but just thought it to himself.
    If he knows anything about druids or rangers, it's safe to say he knows they can affect animals like that, but they don't necessarily need a spell: wild empathy, which I had Jade try to do.

Melrik is purple until Niobaran gets back. Until then, if you want him to scout or do surprise attacks or whatever else, within reason, just say so.
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seharvepernfan View Post
    .. which I had Jade try to do.
    Obergrym disapproves. Not for any particular reason, not even because it failed. Just, he feels if anyone wants to speak to animals, they should get a dog. And in general, if what you need to say to it is either 'good boy' or 'kill!' - that should propably suffice.

[grumble]Talking to animals[/grumble]

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Just tell me what you do.
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

14. - Top - End - #14

HalflingRangerGuy

OK, I'm a bit torn in here. In a regular tabletop game, if I was playing a good character, I would have made questions in town about the whole situation and tried to understand it. I would compare stories and try to see it from different angles, making the trek with a lot more information about possible motivations. I'd probably approach the situation cautiously and maybe try to reason with the opposition.

OTOH, I do think that's not the point of this game. I think you're trying to make a straightforward dungeon crawl, with black and white morality. If that's the case, I'd be just bogging down the game with this kind of approach. Can I have some idea if that's the case. If it is, screw them, let's wander around, kill some sentient creatures because they have green skin and fangs and we don't, and then take their stuff.

Cheers.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry gents =)

It does seem the easiest way to ascertain whether they're going to attack us or not. Of course I do run the rist of them sounding the alarm, which I imagine is the entire purpose of this encounter. But at the end of it all, only Obergrym seems willing to kill them before they have the chance to sound the supposed alarm, so it's still a fitting solution.

16. - Top - End - #16

Fine with me. If it is a dungeon crawl, best to get it started.

EDIT: Of course, if we now get swarmed by orcs and don't even make it to room 1, we'll know who to blame.
    Last edited by PH7; 2018-10-03 at 02:08 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PH7 View Post
    we'll know who to blame.
    Yes - there is that, I suppose. Well, at least we'll go down swinging and swearing all the way =)

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by amanamana View Post
    In game terms, I suggest we advance in 5 foot increments, while readying actions. Leo and Jade ready actions to use ranged attacks in clearly aggressive opposition. Frith to Bless if there is too much enemies. Obergrym to charge (or just to close in, if it's too far away for it) or to attack anyone who closes on us (your call... Leo won't pretend you would actually follow too much intructions at this point).[/SPOILER]
    No, it's a good plan. But I think our banter has gone on long enough. If Frith still gets to answer, I feel like we'd be giving those orc gals enough time to check their immediate reply for spelling errors.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Obergrym is more than willing to follow any plan that happens to align perfectly with what he'd planned on doing anyways =)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

OK, I'm a bit torn in here. In a regular tabletop game, if I was playing a good character, I would have made questions in town about the whole situation and tried to understand it. I would compare stories and try to see it from different angles, making the trek with a lot more information about possible motivations. I'd probably approach the situation cautiously and maybe try to reason with the opposition.

OTOH, I do think that's not the point of this game. I think you're trying to make a straightforward dungeon crawl, with black and white morality. If that's the case, I'd be just bogging down the game with this kind of approach. Can I have some idea if that's the case. If it is, screw them,
    No, that's a legitimate concern. I admit I wasn't thinking much beyond "dwarf rogue sees unwitting orc victim", but he is NG and they do mostly seem to be potential non-combatants and you guys don't actually know if they're the raiders or not. DM tunnel vision. I don't really know what to say about it now, but if it were me I'd rather take more advantage of my scout than just throw caution to the wind. Oh well, the cat's out of the bag now, so let's see what happens. I want you to know I'm not upset or anything like that.

I did say you could make use of the village before setting out, btw.
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

21. - Top - End - #21

HalflingRangerGuy

Well, but the first post was us at the "dungeon gate" already.

But, as I worded about the ready actions, "Leo and Jade ready actions to use ranged attacks in clearly aggressive opposition.". If they do not try to attack us, we could talk. Also, I said that we could go slowly as the scout goes ahead. If he notices something important before we engage, he is free to speak up.

Cheers.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

It was in my very first post of the recruitment thread. Granted, that's been a while.

Don't worry though, you characters wouldn't know it, but there was nothing else to know. You could possibly have received some info from the people who found the aftermaths of the raids and potentially deduced some details about the raiders, but it's the same story every time, and the village elders told you everything they know.

Anyway, new IC post.
    Last edited by Seharvepernfan; 2018-10-03 at 08:28 PM.
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

You mean you jump down into the room?
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

24. - Top - End - #24

HalflingRangerGuy

OK. In the last week or so I've been realizing that, after long years without interacting with people on the internet (and longer years without interacting with people in English), I'm coming across as an ass more than I'm used to do. Don't get me wrong, I can be quite an ass when want to, but I'm not used to being unintentionally an ass so oftenly.

I apologize for any misunderstanding on my part. I'll refrain from this kind of comment in the future, if at all possible. This is absolutely not sarcastic or anything, I'm truly aware that it was a counterproductive remark.

Cheers.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seharvepernfan View Post
    You mean you jump down into the room?
    Who, Obergrym? Um, I was under the (propably groundless) impression that there were stairs. The manner of your asking makes it seem like a resoundingly bad idea. Which of course is enormously tempting, but uncharacteristically I'll wait for input from the others =)

I'm coming across as an ass
    No you're not. It was an entirely legitimate question. I mean, sure it had already been answered, but missing that is a forgivable human error. Don't worry about it =)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, Obergrym, and no there are no stairs. If you intentionally jump down, you can make a jump check to reduce the damage from falling (I rule that 10ft is 1d6 subdual), which if you're not in a stressful situation (and you're not), you can take 10 on. You can also just climb down onto the rubble pile below with no check, but that is slower and you'd need free hands.

And yeah, Amana, I think you're overthinking things here; at no point were you being an ass. You have nothing to apologize for.

I don't really understand why, but I have a tendency to confuse people. Like I said earlier, don't ever be afraid to ask me anything.
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

27. - Top - End - #27

HalflingRangerGuy

The manner of your asking makes it seem like a resoundingly bad idea. Which of course is enormously tempting, but uncharacteristically I'll wait for input from the others =)
    Do your thing, man. I assumed Obergrym would do something like that. Leo is an ordely and cautious young man, he'll probably not like it, but what is he going to do? Call you "Mr. Dwarf" in an annoyed tone of voice?

Cheers.
    Last edited by amanamana; 2018-10-04 at 12:23 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Hey guys. sorry I didn't post yesterday. Frith will take the proffered help to go down (though I think we'll all descend eventually).

29. - Top - End - #29

Hey everybody, I'm back from my trip.
    Also, if it's possible, I'll send Meep (the hawk) for some scouting at around the top of the tower.
    . .-. .-. --- .-. / ....- ----- ....- ---... / -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. / -. --- - / ..-. .. -. -.. / --.- ..- . ... - .. --- -. / ---... -.--.-

Discord: Bookwhyrm#4020, feel free to DM.

Book Wombat's Extended Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    -. --- - / -- ..- -.-. .... / .... . .-. .

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Tinypic is back up, so I have a map in the last IC post. Here it is, so you don't have to go back:
    Spoiler: map
    Show

Wombat, your hawk should know 7 tricks. I see one on it's sheet; I'm guessing you forgot to pick the rest. If you pick "seek" it can "scout" in a sense, but the trick doesn't say what happens if the animal finds anything or how far it will go while searching. I would say that knowing to screech at certain times or when commanded would be a trick of it's own, and can be included in other tricks like "seek". For the sake of getting on with things, I'll say if you devote 2 tricks to it, it can "seek" + "screech" (or seek + attack). Either way, it requires a handle animal check; your total bonus when handling meep is +7, you need to get a 10. Out of combat or other stressful situations, I'll say you can take 10.

Is Obergrym talking about the rope on the far side of the rift?

Also, Jade gave intends to give the light bauble to Frith, but he would need to hold it in hand if he's not wearing it in some fashion.

New IC post coming up.
    Last edited by Seharvepernfan; 2018-10-06 at 04:00 PM. Reason: correction
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies