Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Chortan's Guild re-recruitment (Pathfinder Monstrous Gestalt, Rotating DMs, 14th)

System: Pathfinder
    Player Count: 4 open positions, but see notes
    Style of Play: Highly variable.
    Allowed Content:
    • Non-variant 1st party Paizo available on d20 PF SRD is open game.
    • All other content (including Paizo content NOT on d20 PF SRD for any reason) must meet the following criteria:
      1. It must be accessible to all players
      2. It must be specifically requested
      3. It must be approved by an established participant (Jack_Simth, Illven, or Gunhaven)

Character Creation:
    • High Fantasy Point Buy (see Here: 20 points)
    • Starting Level 14 (exact). No XP progression; you gain one level for each completed adventure arc under a given DM. Wealth is reset to WBL at that time. Crafting permitted. Please don't abuse consumables.
    • PC Wealth by level for 14th
    • Gestalt (Monsters as PCs OK as class levels)
    • Fractional BAB/saves
    • Two traits
    • Backstory: Definitely have one. We are all assumed to have met, and be allied with each other for one reason or another.
    • Hitpoints/Health: Max first, average (round up) for the rest. So a d12 gets 7 HP (before Con), a d10 gets 6 hp (before con), and so on.
    • Alignment: Any, but MUST be a 'team player'. Those who sabotage their fellows, steal from their allies, or cannot accept a group decision are not the sort that survive very long in a dangerous environment.
    • One Free CR 2 (or less) template.

Other Notes:
    Rotating DM. Every accepted player is ALSO a DM. We all take turns on being the DM, and each of us runs a "guild mission' (a shortish story arc) - when your turn to DM is up, your PC is elsewhere doing ambiguous things in the background, not on screen. There will be no DMPC's. If a DM vanishes, that arc is dropped, and the next person's turn is up.

The next story arc is scheduled to be run by Gunhaven. Teaser:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunhaven View Post
    Once more Chortan approaches the assembled group of like-powered individuals and once more he speaks. ”The latest mission involves some hopefully minor investigation. We had received a request from the Golarion branch of some object streaking through the night sky. From the description I believe it to be a meteor and would like you to confirm such. If it isn’t then investigate what it was and return with a full report. Are there any questions?”
    If you have trouble coming up with adventuring ideas, here's a modest method intended to help inspire based on a lecture I heard while in high school:
    Spoiler
    Show

1) Come up with a listing of thematically-approrpiate nouns, and number them.
    Spoiler: example nouns
    Show
    1:Princess, 2:Queen, 3:Prince, 4:King, 5:Dragon, 6:Demon, 7:Devil, 8:Golem, 9:Wizard, 10:Priest, 11:Angel, 12:Archon, 13:Ghost, 14:Statue, 15:Castle, 16:Baby, 17:Ogre, 18:Unicorn, 19:Fairy, 20:Vampire

2) Come up with a listing of thematically-appropriate verbs that could go between two nouns, and number those.
    Spoiler: example verbs
    Show
    1:Marries, 2:Divorces, 3:Murders, 4:Eats, 5:Creates, 6:Destroys, 7:Fathers, 8:Captures, 9:Befriends, 10:Becomes, 11:Bears, 12:Kidnaps, 13:Rescues, 14:Controls, 15:Transforms, 16:Disgraces, 17:Promotes, 18:Enslaves, 19:Frees, 20:Instructs

3) Roll [Noun] [Verb] [Noun]. This is your 'seed' of an idea.
    Spoiler: example
    Show
    [roll0]: Golem Rescues Princess

4) Build a situation such that the roll might work as a three-word summary of what someone involved wants to happen. Then figure out how the guild might help or hinder those plans, who involved might approach the guild, and so on.
    Spoiler: example
    Show
    The princess Samantha was in-route to be delivered to a wedding to cement a treaty between two warring countries, when a red dragon swooped down on the caravan. Samantha's guards were quickly slain, but one her handmaidens escaped with an odd story: A giant stone cat got between the princess and the dragon's breath, snatched the princess up in it's teeth, and vanished with her. It is unclear what became of her, and the guild has been asked to retrieve her so that the wedding - and the peace - can commence.

5) Add some fluffy bits, and done.

The Simple templates are EVIL. Please don't use them.

Current cast:
    Player/Character Table
    Player Monster Race Classes Character Sheet Background
    Jack_Simth Ghost Nypmh Oracle / Druid Darshee Elazumin Dazeiros On Sheet
    Gunhaven Ghost Contemplative Incanter/Chronicler/Evangelist||Warpriest/Bard/Paladin Quill On Sheet
    Illven Succubus Unchained Rogue/ Diviner Heather Harrington On Sheet
    NOTE: These are provided as target optimizations to be in the ballpark with, not as records to beat. You'll notice, for instance, that Darshee Elazumin Dazeiros is a highly Charisma-focused build... that does NOT have a +6 Charisma Enhancement item. There's a reason for that. High optimization is not a problem; low optimization is not a problem. A problem happens when there is a high degree of difference in optimization levels within a party. The optimizer who can solo Great Wyrms in one round should not be in the same party as the Monk that can barely hit a tree. Neither is a "wrong" build - they just don't belong in the same party. The obviously perfect piece of equipment that's not present was a tuning choice to be in line with others' optimization levels (note: There has been a lot of attrition). Try to belong in our party.
    Additional Note: As of 2018-10-04, Quill and Heather are both pending level up.

Previous IC threads:
    Run by Jack_Simth
    Run by Illven

Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2018-12-10 at 07:30 AM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: Chortan's Guild re-recruitment (Pathfinder Monstrous Gestalt, Rotating DMs)

This sounds like a lot of fun to be honest! Irl I have about 4 years DM experience but I'm new to the site so I don't know how I'd fair dming on these forums lol all in all though, a monstrous gestalt game sounds right up my alley. Let me think of a character design and I'll get back to you.

I'll also be sure to check out those ICs you posted to see what the current party has been up to.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Chortan's Guild re-recruitment (Pathfinder Monstrous Gestalt, Rotating DMs)

I'd love to join up as a Devourer Shadow Lord Oracle of Juju. Have experience DMing off and on for about a decade.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I'm looking forward to seeing what all'y'all come up with.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default Re: Chortan's Guild re-recruitment (Pathfinder Monstrous Gestalt, Rotating DMs, 14th)

I'm interested. I have mediocre DM experience.

EDIT: How would an Alchemist/gunslinger work.
    Last edited by Sarven; 2018-10-09 at 10:39 AM.
    This is a signature.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Chortan's Guild re-recruitment (Pathfinder Monstrous Gestalt, Rotating DMs, 14th)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarven View Post
    I'm interested. I have mediocre DM experience.

EDIT: How would an Alchemist/gunslinger work.
    I imagine you'd want to find some way to combine the two, so that you can add your bombs to your shots. The Gun Chemist, perhaps.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

I didn't finish my submission in time for the original recruitment, so I definitely don't want to repeat that mistake. Please let me (re?)submit for inclusion Dreamscarred Press's Psionics and Lords of the Wild, and this Avowed class:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...a-psychic-bent

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    I imagine you'd want to find some way to combine the two so that you can add your bombs to your shots. The Gun Chemist, perhaps.
    I'm not sure about gun chemist actually. It feels kind of redundant and I feel I'm losing more than I'm gaining from that archetype I was thinking I'd take alchemist more for utility and buffs. I think I might take the psychonaut archetype.
    This is a signature.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

How's folks' sheets coming along?

10. - Top - End - #10

Didn't realize recruitment was still open. I'm halfway done! It's been awhile since I've made a monstrous gestalt. Just doing spells skills & items.

Edit: I'll write up a quick background soon but the gist is hes a soul eating shaman who was an orcish Oracle that got transformed into a devourer then tainted by longterm exposure to the plane of shadow and feeding on the souls within.
    Spoiler: background
    Show
    he was an Orc Oracle who was the strategist of his tribe but their leader, an Ogre Mage got corrupted by a demon and they ended up contracted into the blood war. Whilst fighting in the border between the Hells and the Abyss my char got caught in a planar rip and ended up in the far realm. Old buddy got his mind and body horrifically twisted by his time in the far realm and whether by chance or coincidence got spat out in the negative energy plane with his memories fragmented and a newfound terrible hunger for souls. From there he journeyed towards the plane of shadow. A few centuries of aimless wandering in that dim place let the darkness soak into his form, changing him slightly over time. The first soul he ever devoured was a blackguard named Albrecht and having no cohesive memories of his life as an orc the shaman took his name and used the fallen paladins memories to fill the gaps in his own. He has a need almost as pressing as the hunger which is to bring back his comrades from the far realm, whom he thinks is a retinue of knights. After spending time learning to get back to the material world and regain his oracular powers he is on the material world trying to prepare the way for his brethrens return by trying to gain more powers related to moving between the planes.
    Last edited by Feralgeist; 2018-10-15 at 08:52 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Math View Post
    I didn't finish my submission in time for the original recruitment, so I definitely don't want to repeat that mistake. Please let me (re?)submit for inclusion Dreamscarred Press's Psionics and Lords of the Wild, and this Avowed class:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...a-psychic-bent
    Missed this... links help evaluate.

Dreamscarred Press Psionics: Is OK by me.
    Lords of the Wild: Got a link?
    Avowed: First couple of links in the post seem dead. Got the right one?

12. - Top - End - #12

(13d8)[53] hp rollz!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen View Post
    [roll0] hp rollz!
    "Hitpoints/Health: Max first, average (round up) for the rest. So a d12 gets 7 HP (before Con), a d10 gets 6 hp (before con), and so on."
    So 14d8 would prove 8 (max first) + 5*13 = 73

Edit: So how's folks sheets coming?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

"Hitpoints/Health: Max first, average (round up) for the rest. So a d12 gets 7 HP (before Con), a d10 gets 6 hp (before con), and so on."
    So 14d8 would prove 8 (max first) + 5*13 = 73

Edit: So how's folks sheets coming?
    Nearly done. I've been a bit busy but I'm back now.
    This is a signature.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Missed this... links help evaluate.

Dreamscarred Press Psionics: Is OK by me.
    Lords of the Wild: Got a link?
    Avowed: First couple of links in the post seem dead. Got the right one?
    Oh my bad - There used to be a slick pdf there. I'm looking over the changes, but it looks like Avowed was moved to 2 google docs: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...rb9okNN60/edit and https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ZlHLk-es0/edit

The Lords of the Wild class I was eyeing was the Moonlight Meditant soulknife archetype - https://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-un...ight-meditant/.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Math View Post
    Oh my bad - There used to be a slick pdf there. I'm looking over the changes, but it looks like Avowed was moved to 2 google docs: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...rb9okNN60/edit and https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ZlHLk-es0/edit

The Lords of the Wild class I was eyeing was the Moonlight Meditant soulknife archetype - https://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-un...ight-meditant/.
    Moonlight Meditant seems OK enough (a bit tanky, but that's not a problem).

108 pages for Avowed. Do you have some thoughts already on which Pact, Clauses, Pulses, feats, and other character options you're planning on taking?

Edit: So how's folks characters coming along?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to drop out as I no longer have time for another game. I wish you the best of luck.
    This is a signature.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

So how are folks' sheets coming along?

19. - Top - End - #19

BarbarianGuy

I have interest! I'll make up a sheet, I'm thinking AdShifter/Fighter if that works
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Collins
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticHarmony View Post
    I have interest! I'll make up a sheet, I'm thinking AdShifter/Fighter if that works
    Probably. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

21. - Top - End - #21

BarbarianGuy

Requesting the Deadly Agility Feat for Tyson Stillwater

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-...gility-combat/

EDIT: Also, can Shifter Claws be improved with Improved Natural Attack?

EDIT EDIT: Still a WIP, but here is Tyson Stillwater
    Last edited by ChaoticHarmony; 2018-11-06 at 09:14 AM.
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Requesting the Deadly Agility Feat for Tyson Stillwater

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-...gility-combat/
    Should be fine.
    EDIT: Also, can Shifter Claws be improved with Improved Natural Attack?
    Yes, but going from 1d10 to 2d8 is only an average difference of 3.5 points of damage (which I suppose is better than some feats, so...)
    EDIT EDIT: Still a WIP, but here is Tyson Stillwater
    Nifty!

23. - Top - End - #23

BarbarianGuy

Should be fine.
    Thank you!

Yes, but going from 1d10 to 2d8 is only an average difference of 3.5 points of damage (which I suppose is better than some feats, so...)
    What's the average difference between 3d10 and 6d8?

Nifty!
    Thank you! Any recommendations to bring him around the same area of optimization as the others? Specifically items would be helpful

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

What's the average difference between 3d10 and 6d8?
    3 * 5.5 = 16.5

6 * 4.5 = 27

27 - 16.5 = 10.5
    Known among friends as "Ogres"

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    ...so as we can see, no internal consistency from WotC (unsurprising).

25. - Top - End - #25

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    3 * 5.5 = 16.5

6 * 4.5 = 27

27 - 16.5 = 10.5
    Thought it was something like that, thank you

So a INA spike + Improved Vital Strike does about 10 more damage on average than an IVS spike without INA. I think I'll stick with INA for that feat 😜
    Last edited by ChaoticHarmony; 2018-11-07 at 01:12 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

How do monster HD work in relation to gestalt? I see that Quill has 15 HD for instance (before leveling up), so I assume monsters with HD more than their CR are allowed, but I'm not sure what that means in terms of calculating saving throws and whatnot. If 14 CR and 17 HD worth of Magical Beast (good saves Fort/Ref) gestalt with 14 levels of Sorcerer (good saves Will), does that make 17 HD with all good saves? Or 14 with all good saves and 3 with slow Will saves? What does this mean in terms of prerequisites for feats/prestige?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    How do monster HD work in relation to gestalt? I see that Quill has 15 HD for instance (before leveling up), so I assume monsters with HD more than their CR are allowed, but I'm not sure what that means in terms of calculating saving throws and whatnot. If 14 CR and 17 HD worth of Magical Beast (good saves Fort/Ref) gestalt with 14 levels of Sorcerer (good saves Will), does that make 17 HD with all good saves? Or 14 with all good saves and 3 with slow Will saves? What does this mean in terms of prerequisites for feats/prestige?
    "Well". If you have a CR 14 beastie with 17 HD of magical beast (Fort/Ref, full bab, 2+Int), and pair that with Sorcerer-14 (Will, 1/2 BAB, 2+Int), you end up with:

14 HD of Good Will, 3 HD of Bad Will
    17 HD of Good Ref
    17 HD of Good Fort
    17 BAB
    17 * (2+Int) skill points (max ranks 17).
    and 9 feats (for HD 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, and 17).

28. - Top - End - #28

So... how does the ability point buy work with monster races?

29. - Top - End - #29

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth
    Where it's not noted otherwise:
    Take the creature's ability scores, and: Subtract 10 from the even scores, Subtract 11 from the odd scores. These are the adjustments.
    So 20 pt buy, then add your effective racial mods

30. - Top - End - #30

Thanks. It makes sense.

OK, next questi0n: how are level advancement handled for the monster HD? templates?
    What if the monster has a pretty smooth level progression, like... dragons?