New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Home 24: A house in this market?

There's no place like home. Whether in the suburbs of Inside, a desolate mountain cabin, a dingy flat somewhere... this is where PCs live. This is a meta-location, as the houses themselves may be many kilometers apart from one another, or in separate dimensions.

If you want an address in this thread, please PM the creator of this thread and they will post the location in the OP.

OOC Rules:

1. Please post location tags on each post: It's important that there is a clear way to differentiate the locations in a meta-thread. Ex: [123 Generic Drive] or [Doe House]

2. The players who own each residence control what goes on within it: A residence cannot be godmodded. You can attempt to break in, burn it down, knock on the door, etc., but it is up to the player controlling the home to let you know what happens next. Players are permitted to make additional OoC rules, if they want, that apply to their own homes. By entering their property, you are agreeing to roleplay within their cosmology.

3. Play nice: If there are any disagreements between players please take it to one of the OOC threads or PMs.

Locations
    Spoiler
    Show
    154 Oceanside Drive Felandria
    An abnormally large two story suburban house sits in the center of a large parcel of land, although depending on the whims of the owner, Felandria, the house may be larger or smaller than usual when you visit, she welcomes company, just ring the doorbell, if you can reach it.
    Located in the Blue Zone in Inside.

Basil's Cabin UncleWolf, happyturtle
    In an especially woody and remote area, some ways from the city, a cabin sits in the woods. It doesn't seem much different from any of the other hunting cabins one sometimes runs across, except that its scale is sized for minotaurs rather than humans.

Brendan's Upstairs Recaiden, Bushranger
    The 'upstairs apartment' at Brendan's House of Hobbies. A fairly sizeable yet still cozy home for the proprietor, his wife, and their guests. Possibly infested with lionfish.

Hallowmere Lake happyturtle, UncleWolf
    Several hours away from the city, with no roads leading there, is a small lake surrounded by trees. On an island in the lake is a cabin, well built from fresh lumber and brick and connected to the land by a small bridge. The entrances of the house face East and West, allowing anyone who sits on the decks to watch the sunrise or sunset. There's a garage attached to it as well, and further additions seem to be in progress. A small metal sign hangs under the mailbox near the front entrance. On it, a pair of names is etched in by ornate laserwork: Sunny and Carl

House of the Rising Sun Ashen Lilies
    A Large house on a headland facing the Emerald Sea, which, by strange happenstance, borders both Town and Acronymia. Home to Natasha, Oracle of the Dawn, and occasionally Khiansa Daggerfall, adventurer, and Natasha's sometimes lover.
    Anyone can drop by to seek the Oracle's wisdom, or rest in the gardens, or just to say hi and share a pot of tea, but please PM, as the player may not read the thread.
    Further description.

Intermission Beans
    The divine realm of Carrie! The Intermission mostly consists of a great decagonal sort of tower, more wide than tall, filled with innumerable rooms for the deceased souls staying there until they move on to their afterlives. Also contained are the quartering complex for her "angels" the Sable Guides.

Jake Stevenson's Home happyturtle
    In the Victorian sector of Inside, Jacob Stevenson lives above his watchmaker shop and shares the space with his alter-ego, Augustus Acre. The room is a combination living room / bedroom, with well made furniture. The bed is a daybed, meant to work as either a sofa or bed, but because of that, it's the equivalent of a single sized modern bed. It isn't really appropriate for guests, so he rarely invites people here. Most people who wished to encounter Jake would meet him at his shop in Inside instead of his home.

Julie's Place Slii Arhem
    An apartment on the sixth floor of a fairly average apartment building. Julie Fiske, a succubus of moderate renown and very little esteem, lives here, leasing it from a dubious landlord.

New Rock Household blackouttwo, Artemis97
    A nice place in the city's suburban area, just inside the walls. It was specially built to appear larger on the inside than it does on the outside. It has the works - white picket fence, work shed out back, spacious basement (with attached laundry room), a study, kitchen, bedrooms, guest room (with it's own bathroom), living room, parlor, dining room, entry hall, three bathrooms... Everything a typical suburban family could want, complete with a nice hardwood floor.
    Darn shame Lucas and Lillith are turning the study into a room meant solely for displaying adventuring trophies, and Arthur's going to be using the workshed for his crazy experiments. The neighbors are going to complain, no doubt.

Silvery Ship Lost Deep
    It looks like this field has been marred by a silvery teardrop of epic proportions. Easily fifty feet tall and about 90 feet long, it seems to have impacted the surface at a definite angle, leaving a long furrow behind it. This teardrop is covered in bumps and smooth protrusions, but the exact make-up can vary greatly from day to day. Doors, hatches, doorbells, cameras, and other things come and go on its surface. The inside is uniformly silvery, and the maze of halls, and rooms makes it hard to keep your bearings. Physics seems to stop caring, and looping hallways, physically impossible curves, and doors that open into the wrong places are the rule here. The entire ship is constructed of an amazingly durable material… No telling what it is, but it will take really, really strong weapons to break it if it can be broken. There is no evidence of weapons in the ship… but it’s possible they just haven’t been seen yet.

Skullfort Recaiden, LordDeathkeeper
    A flying magical battlestation in the form of a giant black stone skull, looking down over a small farming town. Located over the hills not far from the Dancing Fox Inn. Home to the knight Leah, her squire Koshal, the mercenary Kestrel, and Mist.

Stormguard Tower Recaiden, Fenric, LordDeathkeeper
    A five-turreted wizards' tower located in a forest clearing far from any city. The building is spatially impossible and the grounds are full of unusual plants and animals found nowhere else.
    Anyone looking for help is welcome.

Archive
    Spoiler
    Show
    Home 23
    Home 22: Our neighborhood watch is extra vigilant
    Home 21: Housebroken gazebos now permitted
    Home 20: Refurbished
    Home 19: Please Contact Your Friendly Neighborhood Realtor
    Home 18: Where Everybody Knows Your Name
    Home 17: Where you know all your friends and all your enemies
    Home 16: Home is Where the Phylactery is
    Home 15: A Fixer-Upper
    Home 14: Oddly Squishy
    Home 13: Insert Silly Title Here
    Home 12: Home, Home and Deranged
    Home 11
    Home 10
    Home 9
    Home 8
    Home 7
    Home 6: Jiggity Jig
    Home 5: Somewhere to take your family
    Home 4: Plenty of Space
    Home 3: Third Time's the Charm
    Home 2: Home is where the cabinet is
    Home 1

This thread is managed by Gulaghar. He will create the new thread when this one reached 50 pages. Please contact him for updates to the OP.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Home 24: A house in this market?

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Thad's Apartment]

"So what you're saying is," Vivi says, just finishing a mouthful of egg, "That if I can hide this satchel of yours, it will be much easier to keep you here? Very good, this is well noted." The 'goddess' gives a scrumptious little smirk and goes on with her breakfast as Lucy explains Sam's relationship with her...

Then asks that all important question. Vivi just loves that grin of Lucy's, she will love turning it into a look of shock just as much. "And to elaborate further, what happened last time was that my husband so thoroughly wore out Thad, the dear boy couldn't walk for the better part of a day. I had a delightful time teasing them both about it."

"Ooh, yes, do me!" Vivi exclaims softly (and in far too lascivious a tone) when Thad holds up the whiskey. She shoves her glass over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Thad's Apartment]

"Oh." Lucy falls silent for a moment as the gears turn sloooowly in her mind, piecing together what it all means. "Oh. Ohhhhh, I see. Uh, bodyguard, huh? I-I guess the fact that I'm still in one piece and not getting thrown out means I didn't do anything wrong?" She asks hesitantly, with just a hint of nervousness to her voice. If Thad is on bodyguard duty, that probably means he's considerably more dangerous than he looks.

And danger is bad. But she isn't in danger, right? Unless suggesting there might be something between Vivi and Thad was maybe offensive or something? "Uhh, sorry?" She offers uncertainly, glancing back at Thad.

...even now it's still kind of hard to tear her gaze away from Vivi.

"A stiff drink does kind of sound good now, yes, but I might kind of need the whole bottle for it to, um, do much. A-a-and Vivi, you're a- you're a wonderful tease b-but pleeeease don't joke about the satchel?" She asks, turning back to Vivi with wide, pleading eyes and a slight quiver to her lip. Yes she's playing it up a little bit, but if anything that might be more to mask the fact that she's genuinely a little distressed by that joke rather than trying to provoke a reaction from her "goddess".

Thad's Apartment

Thad fills the glass for Vivi before gently passing the bottle over to Lucy. "No worries. Vivi is tougher than she looks and you can probably tease and poke at her all you want and you'll be square with both me and Sarcadian." He says, trying to soothe the obvious worries. "She's entirely too "humble" for her own good and could probably be taken down a couple notches and we all know it." He adds with a grin. "Though really, if you need a place to crash for a night or whatever, just stop on by and let me know, even if Vivi isn't here. Fair warning however, I suspect she'd be cross with me if you stopped by and I didn't tell her, considering the glow she's got at the moment." He admits, gesturing at Vivi with his thumb pointed at her to prove his point.

"I think you made a lasting impression."

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    [A Hotel Room]

Sam reaches up to put a thankful hand on Dory's shoulder.
    Also, Pippin leaps onto the bed and begins trying to get attention from one of them. He's a very fluffy green and purple cat with a tiny little horn.
    "Hey, Dory. It's been a rough, uh period. Riverside's been, uh, you know. Can't go back to the place you helped me get until we get a better idea of what's there or not. Roommate's been taking it rougher than me. Uh, and well...
    You know that Halloween was me and Sherrel's thing? I bet you did; you always know everything. There's another party this year, but I can't do costumes like she used to. And it's just not the same going alone, even if I want to go. Stick it to her, you know? Well maybe not like that. But uh, yeah."
    He looks up, winking at her.
    "You interested in playing fairy godmother and plus one for this pig?"
    Hotel Room

"Nah, I totally get it."
    Dory admits, pressing her shoulder into Sam's hand before hopping off of his back to pet the odd cat. "But I gotta say, you fight dirty. Here I was all set to make a deal and you want to take me to a big shindig? Gonna have to call us square on this one. Alright. So!" She says, snow leopard tail swaying as she picks up the cat to hold it while she looks at Sam with a keen eye. "Any restrictions on your get up or do I get to decide?"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Post Re: Home 24: A house in this market?

[Underground Racetrack]

Isaac immediately gets a big, goofy grin on his face.
    ”They must have very well made saddles to stay on. And the beetles must either be very well suited to this or have been given ideal terrain. Further...”
    This muttering will continue. Isaac is a very inquisitive person.

[Countryside]

Koshal comes up for air and swims for sure. After spending some time dripping, he does his best to dry off as best he can and find a nice sunny spot to meditate. Maybe if he waits something will happen. And praying for guidance doesn’t usually hurt. If nothing else he’ll use the sun to dry off and ask around town once he’s ready.

[A Hotel Room]

Sam positively beams at Dory. Pippin appreciates the attention, purring immediately.
    ”Restrictions? Well given your history...” Sam glances at the closet, where the suit she made for him hangs. It’s a wrinkled mess from being shoved in his bag in his escape from the Gardens, and could use some repairing, but it was sentimental enough for him to save. It had been the start of his second chance, his escape from Skyside. And it had made him feel classy for the first time in his life.
    ”You’re one for one, honestly. As long as you’re not planning on making me wear something lewd or like, a tutu I’ll probably be fine? I always used to go as pig-themed video game stuff but you can switch themes. But you’re going to need something, too.” he reminds the Broker.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

[Lake Cabin - Private Party]

This innuendo is getting a little out of hand. Cass can't help but roll her eyes a little, even as she takes the confection and eats it, chasing it with a nip if of the schnapps.

"So good of you to share a snack with us."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

"We'll have to pay her back somehow. I should hurry and get my own place, so I can treat you to something from my homeland," Fayyaad says, taking a sip himself. "I don't know if I can get something that'd compare to a sorcerous tower or a cabin in the woods, but I'll do my best."

[Underground Racetrack]

Iknika does her best to tell him about the beetles. She's not learned in zoology, but she is interested in them.

"They've got special saddles, but they have to train how to stay in them, too. The beetles are made to quickly get through tunnels. I'm not sure if they were always this way or goblins bred them. Maybe both."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Electra's smile turns from sultry to pleased, despite Cass's eyeroll. She hums a note to her self and sings a line.

"o/~ The Good Book says it's better to give than to recieve, I do my BEST to do my part. Nothin' in my pockets, I got nothin' up my sleeve. I keep my magic in my HEART!o/~" She pauses a moment, then laughs.

"Sorry, it just popped into my head and I couldn't resist." She grins as she sits back down, and takes a sip of the peppermint schnapps herself, then begins to roast another marshmallow. "I think an apartment in the city would suit you, Fayyaad. It would be less busy than Trog's, but still have plenty of people around."
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Raindrop District Apartment

"If I ever bite you, you'll die slowly and painfully from an infection, and then turn into a zombie too. It's how someone got me. I was just doing normal EMT work, patient got chompy, and now I have to eat this stuff every week or I'll go crazy and probably get killed trying to jump someone who doesn't deserve it. Not fun. I don't recommend it. I used to be a lot prettier," Jen explains, echoing a comment she made about her condition when she was talking to Calm Reed not too long ago. There's a bit of blood running down her chin, but she either doesn't seem to notice, doesn't care, or is leaving it there on purpose as part of a last-ditch effort to scare Fidelia off. Honestly, I haven't a clue which one it might be.

"Also, I'm not going to make you eat people or anything. You'll still be eating normal food, you'll just be the only one doing it. Well, you and Romero, I mean. He-" Jen gets cut off, because Romero hears his name and immediately starts whining for attention, clambering up onto the couch to try to stick his face in Jen's own. Unfortunately this means she needs to get the plate with Bandanna Man's flesh away from Romero, just in case, so she unthinkingly passes it onto Fidelia while she tries to give the big whiny baby his scritches and pets.
    The pale-faced urchin nods, a little bit of her color returning as the shock of it all fades. Okay, this isn't so bad. Just gotta make sure to double-check whatever you take from the fridge, try not to stare too much at any severed heads or tupperwares full of hands, and make sure your landlord doesn't get suspiciously snuggly or anything. How hard can it be?

"You've, um, got some blood..." Fidelia comments, indicating the area with on own face. She almost reached out to wipe it off with the sleeve of her cloak, just wanting to help, but two things stopped her - firstly, recalling with embarrassment that civilized folk aren't supposed to do that, they use a napkin or something proper. Secondly, the freshly-harvested plate of mystery meat shoved into the beggars hands. Fidelia eeps in shock, staring down at the contents with wide eyes. She looked up at Romero and Jen, then to the side to see if there's a tall place she can put the plate out of reach from the attention-hungry doggo, before concluding that it's probably for the best that she just holds onto it and shifts it so her body blocks it from Romero's view.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Trick or Treating]

It's that time of the year.

That time of year when children dress up as awful little sugar-crazed gremlins and prance about demanding candy from strangers lest they visit horrible pranks upon them if they decline.

Or, well, the prank thing doesn't happen so much. At least not from the youngsters.

It's usually the angsty teens that wander around smashing pumpkins, tossing toilet paper into trees, and pelting cars with eggs.

The little ones, though? This is just some time to have oodles of fun and collect sweets. Oodles of fun because who DOESN'T like dressing up?

And eating candy.

Case in point?

One Khannie Vallarm.

Her costume is largely self-made this year, though it's something of an odd hodgepodge. She's wearing an odd poncho of once brightly colored fabric, though now it's faded by age. Every now and again a little neon flash runs along it, as though fiber-optics were worked into its weave. She's got a gauntlet that looks like it could have once belonged to a suit of power armor about one size too big for her. And on the other hand? A form fitting glove with an intricately carved bit of metal protecting the forearm. She's got a pretty normal pair of jeans on (mostly because she didn't find any pants) and a thankfully matching set of hi-tech boots. She's pretty sure they used to let someone fly or jump super high or skate along the ground or something, but now they just make a really cool fizzling pop of sparks when she tries to make them do stuff. On one shoulder is a brassy colored pauldron with flat-topped studs sticking out of it, worn opposite from her big gauntlet. A hood is pulled over her head and her eyes obscured by a cracked visor. At her hip is something that LOOKS like it might have been some kind of energy sword at some point before it broke.

And, of course, she has a little satchel over her shoulder for carrying candy.

What's Khannie this year?

Why, an adventurer of course.

Because that's what adventurers do. They cobble together gear from all the neat magical swag they collect.

Khannie is pretty sure none of this stuff is magical or functional, but it all LOOKS really neat. And that's the part that matters most, in the end.

The totally normal little human girl hops up a short flight of stairs and knocks loudly at the door, wondering what neat people might be inside.

"Trick or treat!"

((Simple idea here. Young PCs trick or treating (or playing pranks if they're jerks). Anyone can join in on the candy hunt, or have someone answer a door. Who knows how they get to some of the more remote places. The Nexus is weird like that.))
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Countryside]

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Koshal comes up for air and swims for sure. After spending some time dripping, he does his best to dry off as best he can and find a nice sunny spot to meditate. Maybe if he waits something will happen. And praying for guidance doesn’t usually hurt. If nothing else he’ll use the sun to dry off and ask around town once he’s ready.
    Koshal is likely to notice that his clothes are missing, and there are strange footprints on the shore (an odd bird? Someone walking on their toes?).

Dune is probably quite spooked, but I think Faye won't have noticed anything at all.

[Trick or Treating]

The door slams open, and a gust of wind blows out from the darkened doorway. Vines writhe outward at the corner of the door and sprout into pumpkins that then carve themselves into leering jack-o-lanterns, each of which starts cackling aloud.

A disembodied clawed hand floats out and offers Khannie a caramel apple.
    "Happy Spooktober, little space hero."
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2018-10-09 at 09:55 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Underground Racetrack

”Probably at least a little selective breeding to push them into having more ergonomic shells. “ He does seem to be putting a lot of thought into this.
    ”Which ones you’re favorite?” he asks suddenly.

Countryside

Koshal shouts and says something Leah probably wouldn’t approve of if she understood. He responds immediately and with efficiency fueled by rage (and unpleasant dripping). Koshal unslings and loads his crossbow from Dune’s gear and sets off after the footprints, his two animals in tow.
    They took his sword.

11. - Top - End - #11

[Trick or Treating]

At the suitably spooky display, Khannie's eyes widen behind her visor as she gives a scream of equal parts delight and fright!

"That was so cool and scary! Thanks!"
    she cheers as she accepts the apple, apparently not that worried over old tales of trapped candy. That razor blades in apples thing happened once in the eighties at a Halloween party, perpetrated by a disgruntled family member against other family members he didn't like. Sadly it was blown out of proportion into a 'this could happen to YOUR CHILDREN and this is why you should be TERRIFIED!' media circus which largely resulted in the death of wonderful home-made treats.

Big win for companies that make pre-packed candy, though.

Since she doesn't want to put the sticky apple in her bag, she begins eating it on the spot.

"How did you do the pumpkin thing?" she asks, though her words are pretty garbled due to the caramel stuck between her teeth.

Nom nom nom.

Delicious apple.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

[Thad's Apartment]

"I would be very cross," Viviana says daintily. She hadn't even been sure why Lucy was apologizing. "The boy says I'm tougher than I look, but you need the whole bottle? Goodness dear. You really must explain to me what you are, as I can certainly tell you're no human. And what is the situation with this satchel, hmm? I sense genuine concern. I'm very good at reading young people, as I'm sure you have both already perceived. Trying to keep things from me is pointless."

"Speaking of which, if she does show up here and I am not informed so I might plan an immediate rendezvous, I am taking your apartment away Thad," Vivi turns up her nose and sniffs.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

13. - Top - End - #13

Default [Countryside]

The footprints meander around the shore, come to a great tangle of similar prints about a quarter turn around the lake (at its closest point to the town). A lot of them lead into the water. But if Koshal is careful about following the right set, he'll eventually come upon his equipment!

And the person who took it, of course.
    Up in a tree, a little hobbit-ish figure sits on a branch. In place of hair he has dark crystals like those broken on the shore, and his nails, claws really, are the same material. He's got Koshal's shirt on backwards (and it's far too big) and other articles of clothing draped here and there. He's chewing on the sword.

[Trick or Treating]

The apple contains no razors, and isn't even cursed.
    "Just a bit of ventriloquism to make it seem like they laugh."

The darkness recedes a bit, and a woman in a Magtok costume steps out to wave at Khannie.

"That and some encouragement to grow is all they need."
    Actually, it takes much more than encouragement to pull of sudden laughing pumpkins. Cleo is a wizard, after all. It takes magical encouragement at the least, and maybe stealing the spirit from the pumpkin seeds.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2018-10-09 at 05:12 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

[Underground Racetrack]

"Hmmm." Iknika looks on at the racing beetles. "This one," she says, pointing at a broad, red-shelled beetle. "It's not very fast, but it just keeps on going and still outpaces the others."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

"You could end up in a big palace or a castle," says Cass, grinning mischieviously. "Show the both of us up."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

"Don't apologize for singing, Electra. I think we both appreciate it," Fayyaad says, grinning, before turning back to Cass. "I don't know where I'd get one of those. My family home wasn't quite a palace, but it was close. Here I'll take something more humble that I've earned myself."

17. - Top - End - #17

[Trick or Treating!]

"That's super cool," Khannie concludes. Magic is the best. "Your Spooktober decorations are super awesome! And thanks for the caramel apple! It's really good! Happy Spooktober!"

And that said, she turns around and marches back down the stairs, her mission at this location complete.

As she tromps along the sidewalk, admiring fake skeletons, grave stones, goofy spiders that look nothing like spiders, and other less awesome Spooktober Of course, not everyone could have amazing magical decorations. And they would kind of lose their coolness if EVERYONE had them. She gnaws on her caramel apple as she walks, eventually discarding it in a trash bin disguised as a giant, usually round skeleton. Some other kids have pretty neat costumes. Some super fancy. Some the simple sort you get at stores. Some home made. But all fun! She spots at least one person who probably used some kind of transformation magic for their costume, but she's pretty sure that's cheating.

And she doesn't want to be a cheating cheater.

No sir!

She waves at another batch of trick or treaters as she nears them. It's kind of weird being out here on her own. Even if she PROBABLY isn't alone. She's pretty sure Zebes might be lurking around somewhere keeping an eye on her. Or maybe that weird dog of Mister Morne's. That dog really liked her for some reason.

18. - Top - End - #18

A minute or two later, after Romero's been gently asked to give Jen some space, she wipes her face, reaches for her plate back, and clears her throat, trying to reassert some measure of dignity and decorum after the silly nonsense that just befell her.

"So I don't have much in the way of rules, but for as long as you're here, you'll sleep on the couch, shower or bathe at least twice a day, be nice to Romero, don't let him eat anything weird, and..." Jen pauses to think, trying to figure out if there's anything that might be obvious to her, that wouldn't be so apparent to someone who's lived on the street all their life.

"I guess don't move anything around without asking first? I dunno, just don't be a problem, I guess. Oh, and we should probably try to find you something to wear besides those rags." Jen almost immediately regrets her words, knowing this means the stinky homeless girl is going to be wearing one of her home outfits and she's probably never going to see those clothes again. I mean, don't get her wrong, Fidelia seems nice so far, and kind of cute, in an abused shelter rescue puppy sort of way, but she's almost definitely not getting anything back for all the time and resources sunk into this girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Underground Racetrack]

"Hmmm." Iknika looks on at the racing beetles. "This one," she says, pointing at a broad, red-shelled beetle. "It's not very fast, but it just keeps on going and still outpaces the others."
    [Underground Racetrack]

"Endurance can beat out other things, with the right circumstances." Isaac says with a sage nod.
    "That's the goal when you're wading into a fight in full plate, isn't it?" he asks her, smiling this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    The footprints meander around the shore, come to a great tangle of similar prints about a quarter turn around the lake (at its closest point to the town). A lot of them lead into the water. But if Koshal is careful about following the right set, he'll eventually come upon his equipment!

And the person who took it, of course.
    Up in a tree, a little hobbit-ish figure sits on a branch. In place of hair he has dark crystals like those broken on the shore, and his nails, claws really, are the same material. He's got Koshal's shirt on backwards (and it's far too big) and other articles of clothing draped here and there. He's chewing on the sword.
    [Countryside]

Koshal, thoroughly livid at the sight of possible damage to his sword and the blatant disrespect to good gear, enters the clearing brandishing his crossbow.
    "Evildoer beware, I am on errantry for the goddess Message. Relinquish your ill-gotten goods and return to your place forthwith or I shall place judgement upon you." he intones.
    "That means 'imma shoot you with this big crossbow if you don't gimme my stuff back."

Faye reaches his side, growling.

20. - Top - End - #20

NinjaGuy

"Maybe you can find an abandoned one? There's all sorts of ruins and stuff away from the cities," Electra says, as she pulls her 'mallow out of the fire and makes herself a smore. She takes a bite and chews thoughtfully for a moment, then grins at both Cass and Fayyaad. "We could help you clear it of monsters if you find one."
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

21. - Top - End - #21

Fidelia is only too happy to return the plate, making an attempt to keep her eyes off the contents as much as she can manage without spilling the contents. As much as she didn't want to think about Jen's dietary requirements, the last thing she wanted to do was kick off her stay by ruining her host's couch. She couldn't imagine what a sofa this comfy had cost her.

"Of course." The girl responds simply, listening to Jen's terms and conditions with studious diligence. The comment on her clothing prompts her to look down at herself, blushing as she noted for the first time the shabbiness of her garments. It wasn't like they were falling apart, but they had seen far better days. "I guess it's been a while...." Fidelia admits sheepishly.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

22. - Top - End - #22

Default [Countryside]

The figure pauses, stops biting the sword to look at Koshal and apparently listen to what he has to say.

From his expression, it seems like perhaps he doesn't speak Language. But he does start to return Koshal's gear.

Well.

He hurls the sword at the minotaur, point first.
    While screeching at the top of his lungs.
    That counts for something, right?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #23

[Trick or Treating]

The other batch of trick or treaters is a pair of young dwarves, arguing with each other about candy.

One (who is only just getting his stubble in) is wearing a costume made of a shiny teal material, with three big googly eyes attached.

Tuxxu, A towering three eyed flea! It has two stubby horns and it has a gaunt appearance. Its turquoise exoskeleton is waxy. Beware its noxious secretions!

The other (her beard is growing in nicely, 2 or so centimetres long) has a costume of bone with a giant rib cage wrapped around her with a horn protruding from her head like some kind of messed up unicorn.

Gened, A towering starling with external ribs! It has a long, straight horn and it undulates rhythmically. Its ash grey feathers are patchy. Beware its poisonous vapors!

They both have silk bags filled a third up with candy, and they look away from some intense trade negotiations to assail Khannie.

Hey, is this chocolatey thing worth two, or three of these smaller hard fruity things? The older asks, waving a tiny chocolate bar at Khannie. The younger (and I suppose I should reveal at this point for convenience if nothing else that he is called Endok and his older sister Olon) is holding a pair of hard lemon candies.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

[Trick or Treating!]

Khannie is contemplating whether or not to eat more of her candy now.

Though... Zebes had been pretty clear that you're supposed to wait until after the trick or treating is over before you eat anything. With an exception for hand-made treats that don't have wrappers, since you can't really put those in your bad. Those have to be eaten on the spot. She finds herself teetering on the brink of breaking the rules when suddenly a pair of dorfs call out to her! She glances up from her bag, sling sit back over her shoulder, and hops up to join them.

Khannie isn't sure what they're supposed to be. Both of them look pretty weird. And those costumes might have been something alive at some point maybe? Either way, they were put together great! She really likes them. Their question, though, she isn't sure how she's supposed to know that.

"I like the candy bars more," Khannie replies with as much confidence and bravado as she can muster. "Chocolate is the best. So they're worth at least three of the lemon drops. But how many depends on what kind of chocolate bar it is. Some of them are better than other ones."

She's doing a pretty good job of sounding authoritative even though she has no idea whether or not what she's saying is actually true.

How would you even tell what they're worth? Find a big bag of them, look at the price, and then count the candy bars and divide the price by that much? That sounds like it would be a lot of work.

"I'm Khannie Vallarm and I'm an adventurer! What are you guys supposed to be?" she asks curiously. Finding out about their costume is probably worth some candy advice, right?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

[Underground Racetrack]

"Full plate isn't as heavy as people make it out to be," Iknika says with a bit of a know-it-all expression. "But it is a knight's job to go and weather enemy blows so others don't have to. Like magicians."

((Lilies said I could post first.))

Fayyaad raises his eyebrows.

"Now that didn't occur to me. But I think that's how Cassandra got her tower. And adventuring together worked well for the two of us. So there might be something here."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's true. I do have some experience with refurbishing abandoned real estate." Well, the old Watchtower/Vigil base was that, anyway. Calling her current tower 'abandoned' at the time is a bit of a stretch she had to commit some perfectly good wizard murder for it.

"We do seem to a knack talent for finding adventure."
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2018-10-11 at 06:38 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Jen wordlessly walks out of the room, and then comes back with a couple of shirts, which she sets about holding up against Fidelia's chest, trying to gauge exactly what would and wouldn't fit her. Hrm, these would be a little big on her, wouldn't they? Darn. She might need to take her out and buy something from the mall.

...I mean, that's if Fidelia's even still here by the end of the week, of course. Obviously she's going to have run away by then, and Jen won't have to keep fretting over her well-being, comfort and safety. There's no real chance she actually means that life debt stuff, don't be ridiculous.

"What happened between you and the bandanna boys, anyway? At first I thought it was just a mugging, but you don't seem like the right kind of target for that, no offense. They also seemed too angry to be...I don't know if there's a right way to phrase this, but...having fun with you? You know, in a curtains sense? Plus I don't know if they'd have stayed to fight if it was just that," Jen makes a face, trying to gloss over the implications and move on from that subject as quickly and cleanly as possible.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

28. - Top - End - #28

Fidelia watches as Jen tries to assess her size with slight embarrassment, realizing she had no idea what it was herself. Beggars couldn't really be choosers, and serviceable clothes were hard to find in the gutters and alleyways of Skyside. Hell, she'd even heard rumors of slavers exploiting this fact by baiting the homeless into ambushes with a big ol' waterproof coat or a really warm blanket.

"T-they tried at first, y-yesterday... but I broke free and gutted one of them. They... they didn't like that." She shifted uncomfortably, looking away with a troubled expression and pulling her legs a little closer. An uncomfortable silence hung in the air for a moment before she took a shaky breath, returning her gaze to Jen with a sniffle. "T-they were about to finally kill me when you intervened."
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

29. - Top - End - #29

Jen takes a moment or two to process this in silence. She doesn't normally get to hear the story of mugging victims or abused slaves or anyone else she's inadvertently helped on her mission for food and justice. They've all run away, or thanked her and then run away, which is a reasonable thing to do when confronted with a stranger who jumps into dark alleys and kills people.

"Fidelia, do you need a hug or something?" Can she even be hugged in her current state? Those assclown thugs roughed her up pretty bad, and the less she moves around, the sooner she'll get better and not have to wear all that gauze and bandages and stuff.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

30. - Top - End - #30

NinjaGuy

Electra nods and smiles at Cass.

"Well, we probably wouldn't have started working for MERC if we were adverse to adventure. The profession does call for some audacity, after all." She grins at Fayyaad. "Is there any particular area of the Nexus that appeals to you as far as a place you'd like to have a home?"