New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: [Another Dimension]

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    Yone's earrings catch the light a little more than normal for a moment. Oliver has given his word.
    I tilt my head curiously.
    "This was a long time ago. Surely you're not in a hurry? What changed - more justice, or less friendship?"
    I don't trust this guy, but I think he means well.
    "But, as I said - the base is inside a crashed spaceship in the North Forest. It looks like it's still a ruin - we never used much of the space. On the second subdeck of the center section is where you want to be. Watch out for the robots." I hand over a passkey that should get him into the files. "Now, BC might have the evidence, if there is any to be found, on her personal drive instead of the HQ system. It'd be on the Main Page then, but you'd be on your own as to hacking in."
    Oliver doesn't hesitate before saying, "More justice. Still don't care much for the law, but I know when something isn't right."

Oliver takes the passkey. "Right. North Forest...er, where is that again?"
    After 2 years of silence, I reappear!

Place your bets now, how long until I disappear again

2. - Top - End - #722
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Home 24: A house in this market?

[Underside]

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    "Is it real enough to ride? I mean, it's real enough to pull the cart, but would riding it too put more stress on how not-dead it is?" Cheasadh's not got much experience with spirits, but she'd hate to be sat on an ox when the ox decides it's had enough of existing and disappears. Since then she'd be falling, and oxen aren't exactly small.

She's also mistaking it for a ghost, which might not be fully accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleWolf View Post

"Yes, but just two at a time."
    Pathfinder tells the children. "And thank him after you get on. He may be an ox, but he deserves respect." He points out. "And with luck, perhaps the people here will at least like the mead even if it proves to be stronger than their usual fare." But still, they must move on and Pathfinder will lead the ox-drawn cart behind the others. As he says, the children can climb onto the ox as long as they'e gentle about it. The ox is cool to the touch and slightly spongy, as if it weren't all the way in reality or at the least fully physical.
    "Okay!" Brinika wastes little time climbing on the ox's back. "Thank you, spirit-ox!"

The family head into the wide tunnel entrance and head into the colony. Soon the light shining through the entrance disappears and the tunnel is illuminated by bowls of a sticky glowing substance carved into the walls, as well as the occasional shaft letting in the sunlight. The passage is a wide as a large road, and the ox moves through a crowd of goblins.

Reelshka navigates through a series of twists and turns, eventually leading the family through a bridge suspended above a massive chasm, lit with countless lights and swarming with activity like an anthill.

"That's... well, it's not our house down there, but we live in a place like this," Brinika tells Cheasadh. As she speaks, an enormous beetle skitters past them, carrying a goblin on its back. After some more time, the family reaches a massive, intricate elevator reaching down into the depths. They'll take a place and wait for it to come down. More goblins and some other people fill the space as well.

"Let's review what we'll have to do," Reelshka says. "Pathfinder and I will petition to have Balthuk and Maltrika written into the existing family record. Tuskfang is already there. And you'll have to show them the paperwork and petition to have Cheasadh officially written in. It's happened before, too."

"Yes, I've heard of a family not far from our cave adopting a young drow boy. He seems like a nice kid."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicHobbit View Post
    Oliver doesn't hesitate before saying, "More justice. Still don't care much for the law, but I know when something isn't right."

Oliver takes the passkey. "Right. North Forest...er, where is that again?"
    I'm skeptical. Does he really, or does he just take things at face value out of desire to be a hero? That's mean, I realize. Well, I didn't say it to him.
    "Well, it's north of Inside, obviously..."

I step over to a cupboard and get out a copy of a map, one where I've added the HQ and its entrances in red marker.
    "Here."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #724
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I'm skeptical. Does he really, or does he just take things at face value out of desire to be a hero? That's mean, I realize. Well, I didn't say it to him.
    "Well, it's north of Inside, obviously..."

I step over to a cupboard and get out a copy of a map, one where I've added the HQ and its entrances in red marker.
    "Here."
    Oliver snorts.[COLOR="#339900"]"Well, I know it's north of somewhere, but with all of the pocket dimensions it's hard to tell exactly where..."/COLOR]

He takes the map, looking over it, then nods. "Alright, thank you for your time."

5. - Top - End - #725

"I'm glad to be of help."
    With a smile, I usher Oliver back outside. It's true, beyond the arch 'North' would cease to have any meaning, and the Nexus's geography is prone to vast Alterations. Keeps the map-makers busy. But he should find his way without much trouble. I wonder if he'll manage to sneak in.

I'm going to have to look into this myself. What has BC gotten tangled up in? The place did start to get more violent after the Chimera Incident, for all that I said. And there are some places Oliver can't easily go that might have information. The Sparrow Court? The Empire of Lights? I'd better get the chariot ready. And prepare for a long trip.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2019-03-10 at 12:16 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #726
    Orc in the Playground

Underside

Cheasadh will join Brinika, looking around at everything going on around her. There's a giant beetle going so fast, that's awesome! That's a bridge over a massive drop, that's also awesome! And here's one of those moving chambers, which she likes riding in when she can. This one's bigger than the others she's seen, and probably goes further, too. It's all really cool, and she wants to see all of it.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

7. - Top - End - #727
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"I'm glad to be of help."
    With a smile, I usher Oliver back outside. It's true, beyond the arch 'North' would cease to have any meaning, and the Nexus's geography is prone to vast Alterations. Keeps the map-makers busy. But he should find his way without much trouble. I wonder if he'll manage to sneak in.

I'm going to have to look into this myself. What has BC gotten tangled up in? The place did start to get more violent after the Chimera Incident, for all that I said. And there are some places Oliver can't easily go that might have information. The Sparrow Court? The Empire of Lights? I'd better get the chariot ready. And prepare for a long trip.
    Oliver looks at the map a moment longer, then begins to head off to where the North Forest is, a confidence in his step that suggests he has no idea how hard this place me be to rob.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ogre in the Playground

Aran's Condo

Ursagridd nods and agrees with the explanation, but it does go over his head. Also impresses him, simply because he doesn't understand it. He'll dry himself with a towel, too, after he shakes himself to get the worst off.
    Aran’s Condo

Once Ursagridd exits the bathroom he might be attracted to the smell of cooking eggs.
    ”So. Have fun?” Aran asks wryly, loud enough to be heard from the other room.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

9. - Top - End - #729

Default [BC's HQ]

Well, it's someone's home.

Oliver looks at the map a moment longer, then begins to head off to where the North Forest is, a confidence in his step that suggests he has no idea how hard this place me be to rob.
    The map leads him true, though it's quite a trip. Out of the Annex, away from the cliffside, over the river and through the woods.
    Let's not waste time dwelling on the wind and rain, the were-crocodiles that harry travelers as they pass, the times the trail faded away to leave visitors lost, or anything like that. I'm sure it was no trouble to Oliver.

Suddenly he comes on the headquarters, almost stumbling over it. The place isn't immediately apparent as anything more than further tangle of tree and underbrush. It's terribly overgrown. But then another step and one can see the awful gap in the canopy where the trees where knocked aside and flattened, the artificial lines - here too smooth, there too straight - underneath the moss and brush.

Off to his right, the shattered bridge is one way in.
    Around to the left, up against that hill, there's the main entrance.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #730
    Orc in the Playground

Aran's Condo

"Yes, indeed! Truly a marvel. I could not mimic it on such a small scale." Because Ursagridd can summon storms, though it's outside his main abilities and therefore he's not as good at it as some spirits are. Well, less 'summon storms' and more 'make it rain'. He can't put enough power into it to make a proper storm, just a heavy rain shower.

Ursagridd comes into the room with cooking eggs, following his nose. He hasn't put clothes on yet, though. Or rather, he hasn't conjured his usual suit of furs from nothing.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ogre in the Playground

[Aran’s Condo]

”Well, that’s good. I made you breakfast. Would you mind putting your outfit back on before you sit in my chairs? Otherwise I’ll get a damp imprint of you on them.” he says wryly. Though Ursagridd might notice Aran eyeing him as he serves the eggs onto a plate. Aran gets the distinct impression that something is strange here but still can’t place it. It’s probably the handsome bear spirit living in his house now.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Orc in the Playground

Aran's Condo

"Ah, right. Clothes, yes." Ursagridd nods and his fur clothes come back, a black-furred tunic and brown furry trousers.

Ursagridd is a little too distracted by the smell of cooking eggs to make much note of where Aran's eyes are pointing, since eggs are eggs and very nice.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Ogre in the Playground

[Aran’s Condo]

Aran pushes the plate over to Ursagridd.
    ”Well, take it, don’t be shy.” he gives the spirit a fork as well.
    ”I imagine we have things to do today.”

14. - Top - End - #734
    Orc in the Playground

Aran's Condo

"Yes, we need to figure out how you can use my power. I can guide you into your powers and show you how to use them, but I do not know what you will be able to do. Your power, whilst you get it from me, is your own, and is shaped by who you are." He takes the plate of eggs and starts to eat, quite quickly too. He likes eggs, it turns out.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: [BC's HQ]

The map leads him true, though it's quite a trip. Out of the Annex, away from the cliffside, over the river and through the woods.
    Let's not waste time dwelling on the wind and rain, the were-crocodiles that harry travelers as they pass, the times the trail faded away to leave visitors lost, or anything like that. I'm sure it was no trouble to Oliver.

Suddenly he comes on the headquarters, almost stumbling over it. The place isn't immediately apparent as anything more than further tangle of tree and underbrush. It's terribly overgrown. But then another step and one can see the awful gap in the canopy where the trees where knocked aside and flattened, the artificial lines - here too smooth, there too straight - underneath the moss and brush.

Off to his right, the shattered bridge is one way in.
    Around to the left, up against that hill, there's the main entrance.
    Bit of trouble, actually. Nothing serious though.

Oliver looks from one to the other for a moment, then decides that if he wants to pretend he'd like a job there, the main entrance would be best. So he walks over toward the main entrance, praying nothing pops out and shoots at him.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ogre in the Playground

Underside

Pathfinder very pointedly does not look anywhere close to the direction of down. The Wolfen may be brave in many ways, but when it came to heights he would vastly prefer to have his paws on solid earth. Only when they are off the bridge will he relax and shake off the tension that'd been building up in his body. "Y-Yes, that sounds like a plan. And hopefully the bri-, pardon, the gifts will help speed the process along."

Unlike the Shaman, the spirit-ox has absolutely no problems with heights and seems to just mosey along happily.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Titan in the Playground

[Underside]

The elevator descends into the underground with surprising silence. Once it arrives, it's in an open space on the bottom of the chasm, where the passengers can disembark into four directions. Reelshka leads the family in the direction the bridge was leading into, through a small side-passage along the side of the underground valley.

The passage leads towards a large construction built into the wall, with a runic goblin script reading "Family Archives". The doors open as the family approach, along with some other goblins. They enter a very large room with a central column that seems covered in a runic script, as are the walls. The only parts not covered in writings are a series of doors on the far side. Some goblins in robes mill about, and one of them cries in dismay when he sees Reelshka.

"One below, it's her again!"

"Shut up!" another one hisses, before shuffling over to the family. "So, uh... Mrs. Trollfinger, here to write in another member of your family?"

"Two, actually. And my sister is here to declare adoption."

"That's right. Cheasadh here is our daughter now."
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-03-16 at 05:28 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Orc in the Playground

Underside

Cheasadh smiles at the goblin in robes. "Hi! I'm Cheasadh, pleased to meet you!" She's smiling and dressed smartly and waves, and hopes he waves back. Though that seems unlikely.

She's interested in the surroundings, but currently far more interested in the people. The robed goblins look very interesting, so they're what she's concentrating on at the moment.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KerfuffleMach2 View Post
    [Ravanys' Home]

Ravanys heads straight to her room and shuts the door behind her. The sounds of a shower can be heard moments later.

Meanwhile, the drones and robot go back to where they came from. Right after that, Hannah steps out of her room, still looking a bit skittish.

She glances to Sardus and flashes him a quick grin.

Well...that was something, huh? Uh...what the hell were those things?
    "Umm... yeah... I'm sorry I didn't do a better job protecting you," Sardis grouses.

Seems he takes the mission his mom gave him pretty seriously.

"Those were the gross pod people mom is worried about. Maybe we should use that detector you made to be sure there aren't any hiding anywhere?" he suggests.

That would probably be wise.

Having a gross worm eat one of them from the inside out would be a bad time.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Halfling in the Playground

[Sagittarius Roof]

Fettina mostly watches and lies still, awestruck, as Nora goes through her mighty ritual. Around the time the beams of light appear, Fettina lies straight instead of with her hands behind her head, trying to seem more respectful toward the powers at work here.

Nothing prepares her for that scythe. Fettina screams as loud as she can muster, sitting bolt upright and snatching at the front of her throat. "What the ****. Nora, what the ****! What is the matter with you!" She could have warned a girl her magic was going to be so damned terrifying! "I thought I was dead!"

[Sagittarius Towers]

"Oh, god, oh no, honey, you don't want these hands in there," Fettina stutters, though she laughs a little as well, holding up her hands in a helpless gesture. "I've got-- I've got something better. No need for any s-sewing," she says. "Hang tight for a second, okay? Don't be scared. I'll be right back!"

Fettina will go to her room as fast as she can. She darts here and there in the apartment, returning to Cantata's side with a blade-clash flutter of steel wings. She is so nervous she just sort of opens the canister she holds and tips it out over Cantata's wound without any form of explanation. A thousand tiny silver particles swarm out and coat her wound like so much glitter. After another moment, they have disappeared - as has any sign of that injury, save for a rapidly disappearing white scar.

Fettina breathes out a sigh of relief.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

21. - Top - End - #741

Bit of trouble, actually. Nothing serious though.

Oliver looks from one to the other for a moment, then decides that if he wants to pretend he'd like a job there, the main entrance would be best. So he walks over toward the main entrance, praying nothing pops out and shoots at him.
    We don't shoot everything at moves here. This is supposed to be an abandoned ruin, after all. Just finding the main entrance is to one's credit.

Inside, the hallway it tilted at about a 30 degree angle. The place is overgrown with ivy and lichen - but the lights are on. According to the map, you'll want to slide down about nine fathoms and turn right. There's a Sign/Puppet/Dog lounging in the lower doorway.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #742
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Keeping an eye on the sign-puppet-dog-thing, Oliver follows the instructions on the map. While the thing may very well be stationed to keep out people like him, no use in attacking or questioning it if it's just a thing that's there.

23. - Top - End - #743

Default [BC's HQ]

It suddenly stops being
    has always been more than a thing that's just there!
    The...dog...

The puppet hops to its feet and doffs its little hat smoothly.
    "Are you lost, sir?"
    It squeaks.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ogre in the Playground

Aran's Condo

"Yes, we need to figure out how you can use my power. I can guide you into your powers and show you how to use them, but I do not know what you will be able to do. Your power, whilst you get it from me, is your own, and is shaped by who you are." He takes the plate of eggs and starts to eat, quite quickly too. He likes eggs, it turns out.
    [Aran’s Condo]

Aran serves his own plate and begins scarfing down breakfast at a similar speed and portion to Ursagridd. He hadn’t done that much physically in the last day and yet he felt horribly hungry.
    ”Well, how do we do that?” he asks.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

It suddenly stops being
    has always been more than a thing that's just there!
    The...dog...

The puppet hops to its feet and doffs its little hat smoothly.
    "Are you lost, sir?"
    It squeaks.
    Oliver jumps a little when the puppet stands up, then says, "Er...no, actually. I wished to become part of the cartel I know is here." He may sound nervous, but that's part of the lie. He's feigning nervousness about doing this, rather than nervousness about lying. Lying and sneaking happen to be Oliver's forte.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Orc in the Playground

Aran's Condo

"Hmm. I'm not sure. I've not done this for a long time." Ursagridd thinks a moment. "Meditation, I think. Try and find what's inside you, how the power reacts to your body. Do you know how to meditate?" Hopefully he learnt how when trying to get in contact with his natural powers, before he was desperate enough to approach Ursagridd.

27. - Top - End - #747

Oliver jumps a little when the puppet stands up, then says, "Er...no, actually. I wished to become part of the cartel I know is here." He may sound nervous, but that's part of the lie. He's feigning nervousness about doing this, rather than nervousness about lying. Lying and sneaking happen to be Oliver's forte.
    The puppet nods, yes, nods carefully before replacing its hat and placing its hands together.
    "Keep talking."
    "Why us, when there's gotta be jobs closer to the city?"
    "And why you? What's your story?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

28. - Top - End - #748
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

The puppet nods, yes, nods carefully before replacing its hat and placing its hands together.
    "Keep talking."
    "Why us, when there's gotta be jobs closer to the city?"
    "And why you? What's your story?"
    "Simple. You're the greatest such cartel I've heard of. Oliver thinks a moment on the next two questions. "I used to be a robber. Best of my time, or so I'd like to think. Eventually I was converted to the side of good. Stole from villains, gave to heroes. But now, good is..." He sighs. "It's just so boring. Committing crimes without any noble reason behind it was so much more fun. Hence, I am here."

29. - Top - End - #749
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Sagittarius Towers]

"Oh, god, oh no, honey, you don't want these hands in there," Fettina stutters, though she laughs a little as well, holding up her hands in a helpless gesture. "I've got-- I've got something better. No need for any s-sewing," she says. "Hang tight for a second, okay? Don't be scared. I'll be right back!"

Fettina will go to her room as fast as she can. She darts here and there in the apartment, returning to Cantata's side with a blade-clash flutter of steel wings. She is so nervous she just sort of opens the canister she holds and tips it out over Cantata's wound without any form of explanation. A thousand tiny silver particles swarm out and coat her wound like so much glitter. After another moment, they have disappeared - as has any sign of that injury, save for a rapidly disappearing white scar.

Fettina breathes out a sigh of relief.
    Sagittarius Towers

The songstress watches Fettina flit and flutter about the space, her brow creased in worry. The throbbing pain in her side reminds her to keep putting pressure and she briefly pulls her attention away to redouble her efforts. Gods, I hope I didn't get any blood on the couch, Cantata can't help but fret; I mean really, Tina is so terrified by this whole thing, the last thing she needs is a nice red stain to act as some sort of unsightly reminder of the night's events.

It's kind of funny, actually. The very sight of her new friend so distraught for her well-being almost hurts Cantata as much as the stab wound - she actually can't help but let a dark and voiceless laugh slip past her lips, which doesn't do her physical pain any favors.

Cantata isn't given very long to be left alone with her thoughts as Tina rushes back, and her eyes light up as soon as she arrives. When the canister is presented she recoils almost minutely, instinctively wary of people administering strange and foreign medicines - but just a quickly her posture relaxes, and her hand glides away from the injury. Her eyes lift up to meet Tina's even as she winces at the medicine's touch; she won't let herself think about whatever work it's doing. She doesn't need to. All she needs to do is trust... or failing that, focus on that gorgeous face enough to not notice it working.

...And after all that, she looks suddenly taken aback when she realizes all that steeling herself was for something so utterly quick and painless. The silent, nervous laugh says it all; well don't I look like a fool?
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2019-03-20 at 11:46 PM.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

30. - Top - End - #750

"Simple. You're the greatest such cartel I've heard of. Oliver thinks a moment on the next two questions. "I used to be a robber. Best of my time, or so I'd like to think. Eventually I was converted to the side of good. Stole from villains, gave to heroes. But now, good is..." He sighs. "It's just so boring. Committing crimes without any noble reason behind it was so much more fun. Hence, I am here."
    "Oh dear."

"That's the most boring history I've ever heard." The voice drifts out from all around Oliver, behind, overhead, past the suddenly-lifeless-seeming puppet.
    "And you must not have heard of all our noble aims: species saved, revenge taken, tyrannies overthrown."
    "I'm not sure you'll fit in at all." The speaker tries to sound ominous, but it doesn't quite come across well.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine