New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Epic Level Game - Chapter 3

"This isn't a matter of evil, but of ignorance." I go over historic examples of giants doing what is honorable and true rather than through fear and lies.

Using the historian feat, I grant Xavier + 5 to his persuasion (or was it advantage?)
    Spoiler: Downtime projects
    Show

-Fort Knox safe
    -Custom mundane armor/weapons for squires
    -Buy scrolls at Frost dale
    -Transcribe bought scrolls and Asmodeus scrolls.
    -Collaborate with Xavier on automaton crew design
    -Potions for Arcivus : Haste, Enhance ability, blur, fly(or whatever he wants). As many as downtime allows, up to about 3 or so max.
    -Potions for myself: Fog cloud (smoke bomb), zone of truth (truth serum), sleep (sleep grenade).
    -Change SMART cannon to hand held

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Nimm View Post
    "This isn't a matter of evil, but of ignorance." I go over historic examples of giants doing what is honorable and true rather than through fear and lies.

Using the historian feat, I grant Xavier + 5 to his persuasion (or was it advantage?)
    The cloud giant smiles at you... it is a bit unsettling.

Yes, you are correct. I will help you, if you swear to spare my life. Do we have a deal?

He looks at you all, but particularly Arcivus, as his holy/righteousness is very noticeable.
    Spoiler: Current Level/XP
    Show

Arcivus
    XP: 440,000/445,000
    Effective Level: 22

Dr. Nimm
    XP: 590,000/595,000
    Effective Level: 27

Xavier
    XP: 635,000/655,000
    Effective Level: 29

3. - Top - End - #273

Quote Originally Posted by DM7581 View Post
    The cloud giant smiles at you... it is a bit unsettling.

Yes, you are correct. I will help you, if you swear to spare my life. Do we have a deal?

He looks at you all, but particularly Arcivus, as his holy/righteousness is very noticeable.
    "Well, great Cloudy One, this is starting to sound like a contract, sir. In that case, we must clarify details. You are not sworn to help us, for that only begets resentment, especially in such a mighty and dignified race as to which you belong.

" Help us only if you choose. If not, we merely ask that you reconsider your ways, cease and desist, and hasten from this area forthwith, and we will spare your life. Failure to abide by these terms will result in immediate nullification and indeed a reversal of the terms described herein. Ie: you will become an actual cloud after we transmogrify your majestic physical form into lifeless vapors, to drift in this crisp altitudinous air for all eternity. "
    Show

-Fort Knox safe
    -Potions for Arcivus : Haste, Enhance ability, blur, fly(or whatever he wants). As many as downtime allows, up to about 3 or so max.
    -Potions for myself: Fog cloud (smoke bomb), zone of truth (truth serum), sleep (sleep grenade).

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Well, great Cloudy One, this is starting to sound like a contract, sir. In that case, we must clarify details. You are not sworn to help us, for that only begets resentment, especially in such a mighty and dignified race as to which you belong.

" Help us only if you choose. If not, we merely ask that you reconsider your ways, cease and desist, and hasten from this area forthwith, and we will spare your life. Failure to abide by these terms will result in immediate nullification and indeed a reversal of the terms described herein. Ie: you will become an actual cloud after we transmogrify your majestic physical form into lifeless vapors, to drift in this crisp altitudinous air for all eternity. "
    So there is no confusion, the cloud giant seems willing to betray the storm giant (cloud/storm form), so long as you agree not to kill him. I think you're confusing the two.
    Last edited by DM7581; 2019-11-27 at 05:15 PM.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

5. - Top - End - #275

Dr Nimm is never confused. Only misinformed.

I was addressing the giant that is not in quintessent form, the one who is nearly dead. I'm aware that it's a cloudy distinction but Dr Nimm is a sucker for irony.
    Show

-Fort Knox safe

6. - Top - End - #276

I cast fog cloud and stand just inside it, using a cantrip to cast a baleful light beneath me and waving my hands mystically.

"I am the true master of storms. Obey me!" I shocking grasp a passing gopher. "Die fool! Muahahahhaha!"
    Last edited by Dr_Nimm; 2019-11-27 at 06:53 PM.
    Show

-Fort Knox safe

7. - Top - End - #277

SolithKnightGuy

I cast fog cloud and stand just inside it, using a cantrip to cast a baleful light beneath me and waving my hands mystically.

"I am the true master of storms. Obey me!" I shocking grasp a passing gopher. "Die fool! Muahahahhaha!"
    Absolutely brilliant! Arcivus is awestruck by nimms display of brilliance

Edit: goes without saying that arcivus is following Nimms lead, and stand down.
    Last edited by Ketiara; 2019-11-28 at 12:49 PM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The cloud giant is not amused by Dr. Nimm's nonsense and snarls, angrily.

Cloud: (Common tongue) You waste your time and your breath. Begone with you!

Then a loud boom is heard, with a thundering voice echoing for all to hear above.

Storm: (in Giant tongue, speaking to the cloud giant) You betray me? Was not your life sworn? Very well, then I will take it!

Suddenly, the form of the storm giant can be seen amongst the swirling clouds. It rears back and flings a javelin of pure mist that strikes the cloud giant (22 damage).

We move on to Arcivus. The cloud giant looks as if he is about to flee, eyeing the darkness to his left, your right (eastward).

--

Initiative:

Cloud Giant: 20
    Xavier: 16 (HP: 137/162, 21 Temp HP)
    Nimm: 14 (HP: 141/183, 21 Temp HP)
    Storm Giant Quintessent: 12 (storm form)
    Arcivus: 5 (HP: 160/204, 8 Temp HP)
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

9. - Top - End - #279

Then a loud boom is heard, with a thundering voice echoing for all to hear above.

Storm: (in Giant tongue, speaking to the cloud giant) You betray me? Was not your life sworn? Very well, then I will take it!

Suddenly, the form of the storm giant can be seen amongst the swirling clouds. It rears back and flings a javelin of pure mist that strikes the cloud giant (22 damage).

We move on to Arcivus. The cloud giant looks as if he is about to flee, eyeing the darkness to his left, your right (eastward).

--

Initiative:

"I only sought to bring levity to this grim situation. I fancy myself a bit of a performer, you see."

"Friends, strike the quintessent now!"
    Last edited by Dr_Nimm; 2019-12-01 at 05:45 PM.
    Show

-Fort Knox safe

10. - Top - End - #280

SolithKnightGuy

--

Initiative:

Arcivus, knowing how to read the enemy in battle, follow the storm giants gaze (perception 7+15 = 22)

And he then try to block the storm strike. Arcivus consider the contract nimm made as valid, and will try an protect the giant, as part of not harming him.
    He will jump shield first trying to catch the lightning. (Atlethics 13+13 =26. Imagine the classic scene from just about every bodyguard movie)

Edit: B and I posted at the same time, but I continue with my action.
    Last edited by Ketiara; 2019-12-01 at 06:00 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ketiara View Post
    Arcivus, knowing how to read the enemy in battle, follow the storm giants gaze (perception 7+15 = 22)

And he then try to block the storm strike. Arcivus consider the contract nimm made as valid, and will try an protect the giant, as part of not harming him.
    He will jump shield first trying to catch the lightning. (Atlethics 13+13 =26. Imagine the classic scene from just about every bodyguard movie)

Edit: B and I posted at the same time, but I continue with my action.
    It is hard to see the storm giant's eyes at this distance, but it is not the first time you have seen a mist javelin flung your way.

You try to intercept the attack, but the javelin strikes unerringly. You are sure that you would have been able to deflect any other attack. There is something special about the "magic" of this javelin.

RULE OF COOL ON THIS. Normally, you would have had to prepare a Ready action to intercept, but I'll allow it this one time.

Cloud: Fool, he never misses! And he cannot be defeated!

The cloud giant takes his action to run off (Disengage) and stomps off to the right. As you look up into the storm, the silhouette of the storm giant has once again vanished back into the storm clouds.

Spoiler: Dr. Nimm's Exceptional Intelligence
    Show

There seems to be some sort of relationship between this ongoing storm and the storm giant. While they are separate entities, and he is able to operate independently, the storm itself is somehow tied to him - it offers some form of protection, but hovers very low (at the mouth of the cave opening above [like a volcano] instead of amongst the clouds above) and is stationary. It is truly an unnatural, or supernatural phenomenon.

Perhaps the storm itself is the secret to defeating him.

Xavier, Nimm!
    Last edited by DM7581; 2019-12-03 at 12:05 PM.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

12. - Top - End - #282
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Clearly, the diplomatic approach has failed."

I activate Mind Thrust and inflict 4d10+8 (28) psychic damage on the storm giant.

A DC 22 Intelligence Save negates the damage.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier Alexis View Post
    "Clearly, the diplomatic approach has failed."

I activate Mind Thrust and inflict 4d10+8 (28) psychic damage on the storm giant.

As you scan for the storm giant, you can neither see him clearly or even sense his consciousness, psychically.

You suspect that your attack will be completely ineffective and can change your action if you want.

Nimm, feel fee to act as well.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

14. - Top - End - #284

Thumbs up Re: Epic Level Game - Chapter 3

"We must disperse or relocate the storm clouds! I will attempt to disperse the clouds via intense heat. If my theory is correct, the heat will cause the vapors in the clouds to essentially become steam, which will rise and condense along the cooler surface of the cave walls and pool on the floor. If you have any other ideas, now is the time!"

I cast incendiary cloud on the clouds!

" Archie, I will need to maintain concentration. Guard me! Mr. Benson, guard me as well! "
    Last edited by Dr_Nimm; 2019-12-15 at 02:02 PM.
    Show

-Fort Knox safe

15. - Top - End - #285

"I have no reason to doubt your conclusion Dr. Nimm. I will attempt to use heat."

I activate Energy Beam (Fire) and inflict 4d8+8 (30) damage on the storm giant. A DC 22 Dexterity Save negates the damage.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Both Xavier's power and Nimm's spell have no effect.

Incendiary Cloud does not affect weather, despite its name, but you are on the right track.

That being said, the cloud is in the giant's space, and yo notice that he does not resurface (materialize) from the clouds to attack.

Arcivus, who was probably ready to brace for another javelin or lightning strike breathes a sigh of relief.

The storm clouds continue to rumble however.

Arcivus, you can take an action, then we will circle back around.

--

Initiative:

Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

17. - Top - End - #287

Incendiary Cloud does not affect weather, despite its name, but you are on the right track.

That being said, the cloud is in the giant's space, and yo notice that he does not resurface (materialize) from the clouds to attack.

Arcivus, who was probably ready to brace for another javelin or lightning strike breathes a sigh of relief.

--

Initiative:

"We need to disperse that cloud somehow."
    Show

-Fort Knox safe

18. - Top - End - #288

SolithKnightGuy

--

Initiative:

Arcivus has no idea how to fight what cant be hit... He ready to do what is asked by Nimm og Xavier...
    Spoiler: Arcivus Luscient
    Show

HP: 204/204
    AC: 22
    Stats: 25, 10, 18, 10, 12, 20
    Passive Perception: 11
    Saving Throws: Str 8 (13), Dex 1 (6), Con 11 (16), Wis 8 (13), Cha 11 (17)
    Aura of Protection +5 to all Saves for everyone within 30ft
    Aura of Courage/Devotion immunity to Frighten/Charm for everyone within 30ft
    Always under effect of Protection to Evil and Good

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Have I stumped you all?

Ha, ha. Not my intention. Try to figure something out.

--

The cloud giant has successfully fled. It grows a little more quiet below, where Leena, Reli, and Danae had been, presumably fighting off another threat.

The only noise heard is that of the rumbling and grumbling storm giant.

He tends to appear quickly and strike, then vanishes a moment later. You might be able to time (Ready) a strike on him when he appears, but when he is dispersed, he is unable to be harmed. Otherwise, in a minute or 2, he will eventually wear you all down.

His next strike is at Dr. Nimm again, 2 swirling javelins strike unerringly for 39 total damage.

Storm: You lack the power to defeat me... Ha, ha... you are weak!

I'll say we are at the top of the round (a round passed in hesitation).

You all can act or try to figure something out.

--

Initiative:

Nimm: 14 (HP: 123/183)
    Last edited by DM7581; 2019-12-30 at 08:55 PM.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

20. - Top - End - #290

"I have decided to experiment with non binary gender and my pronoun which you will refer to us will be 'they' or The Nimm Doctors."

I ready an action to cast disintegrate when it pops out.
    Show

-Fort Knox safe

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"I have decided to experiment with non binary gender and my pronoun which you will refer to us will be 'they' or The Nimm Doctors."

I ready an action to cast disintegrate when it pops out.
    Xavier can take an action before we proceed.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

22. - Top - End - #292

I ready an action.

I activate Mind Thrust and inflict 4d10+8 (30) psychic damage on the storm giant the next time it reveals itself.

23. - Top - End - #293

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier Alexis View Post
    I ready an action.

I activate Mind Thrust and inflict 4d10+8 (30) psychic damage on the storm giant the next time it reveals itself.

Arcivus readys a strike, and position himself Where it makes the most sense.. and ofc within 30ft of nimm and X.

Perceptioncheck 19, what sounds come from the crew?
    Show

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sorry, holidays, new year, new baby, etc.

Plus the site was down when I tried to post last week, so I wanted to give it a few days.

--

Everyone has their eyes on the storm cloud, waiting for the giant to manifest and strike...

His voice once again booms out.

Storm Giant: Ha, ha, ha, ha! You are STRONG! And stubborn! However... I WILL NOT fall to the likes of you! Tell me, what is is that you want? Why have you come here?

Spoiler: Passive Insight: Arcivus and Dr. Nimm only
    Show

He is beaten, or badly injured. Giants (in Dr. Nimm's interpretation) and warriors (Arcivus' interpretation) never like to show weakness, and he isn't, but you suspect that 1-2 more blows will finish him. He is still somehow invulnerable while in storm form and will recuperate in time, but is protecting his pride in just now respecting you all.

FYI: You are all here to retrieve some sort of material to assist Xavier to go back to a Sorcerer. The guy can't decide what he want to be when he grows up.

At first silver dragon components seemed the key. Dr. Nimm now has his mind on what he could possibly learn from this storm giant.

You can speak, act at will, but I will keep the initiative tracker up... just in case.

(sound of impending doom...)

--

Initiative (we are somewhat out of combat, but you all remain on edge):

Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

25. - Top - End - #295

"We are searching for silver dragon we believe resides around here. Do you know of it or any other dragons around this area?"

26. - Top - End - #296

SolithKnightGuy

Sorry, holidays, new year, new baby, etc.

Plus the site was down when I tried to post last week, so I wanted to give it a few days.

--

Everyone has their eyes on the storm cloud, waiting for the giant to manifest and strike...

His voice once again booms out.

Storm Giant: Ha, ha, ha, ha! You are STRONG! And stubborn! However... I WILL NOT fall to the likes of you! Tell me, what is is that you want? Why have you come here?

Spoiler: Passive Insight: Arcivus and Dr. Nimm only
    Show

He is beaten, or badly injured. Giants (in Dr. Nimm's interpretation) and warriors (Arcivus' interpretation) never like to show weakness, and he isn't, but you suspect that 1-2 more blows will finish him. He is still somehow invulnerable while in storm form and will recuperate in time, but is protecting his pride in just now respecting you all.

FYI: You are all here to retrieve some sort of material to assist Xavier to go back to a Sorcerer. The guy can't decide what he want to be when he grows up.

At first silver dragon components seemed the key. Dr. Nimm now has his mind on what he could possibly learn from this storm giant.

You can speak, act at will, but I will keep the initiative tracker up... just in case.

(sound of impending doom...)

--

Initiative (we are somewhat out of combat, but you all remain on edge):

My good creature, you have been a fierce advisary, but none of us will get away from this with all our lives intact, unless we stop.
    If you help us, we will continue on our quest, leave you and yours alone, and come with peace if we ever return. What do you say? Persuasion: 12+12 = 24
    Show

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

My good creature, you have been a fierce advisary, but none of us will get away from this with all our lives intact, unless we stop.
    If you help us, we will continue on our quest, leave you and yours alone, and come with peace if we ever return. What do you say? Persuasion: 12+12 = 24
    Amidst the storm cloud, you can sense the giant is pleased with your compliment.

Thunder continues to crack as the winds settle a bit.

Hmmm, yes. You too have been hardy, even beating some of strongest warriors.

Unfortunately, this place has been abandoned by any dragons that may have called this place home...

But, you have shown to be worthy adversaries. Perhaps I can help. What is it that you seek?

He still seems apprehensive about reappearing before you, and remains among the clouds above.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

28. - Top - End - #298

Unfortunately, this place has been abandoned by any dragons that may have called this place home...

But, you have shown to be worthy adversaries. Perhaps I can help. What is it that you seek?
    I address the cloud.

"Dr. Nimm must answer that since everything hinges on his expertise."

Then, I address Dr. Nimm.

"Dr. Nimm?"

29. - Top - End - #299

SolithKnightGuy

Amidst the storm cloud, you can sense the giant is pleased with your compliment.

Thunder continues to crack as the winds settle a bit.

He still seems apprehensive about reappearing before you, and remains among the clouds above.
    The good Dr. is lost in his own thoughts, so Arcivus steps in.

"My good and powerful friend here, has been altered in a way that his magic works diffrently. We set out to find a dragon to help out, since his magic was originally of draconic origin. But seeing your display of power... And I might be totally wrong, a point which Nimm frequently points out, but could you help us with the magic part"?

Arcivus doesnt quite know how to proceede from here... and is quite impressed with himself by the way.

He turn to Xavier... and with a low voice. "he is quite powerful, and more powerful than most dragons, what if he could help restore your chaotic powers"
    Show

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The good Dr. is lost in his own thoughts, so Arcivus steps in.

"My good and powerful friend here, has been altered in a way that his magic works diffrently. We set out to find a dragon to help out, since his magic was originally of draconic origin. But seeing your display of power... And I might be totally wrong, a point which Nimm frequently points out, but could you help us with the magic part"?

Arcivus doesnt quite know how to proceede from here... and is quite impressed with himself by the way.

He turn to Xavier... and with a low voice. "he is quite powerful, and more powerful than most dragons, what if he could help restore your chaotic powers"
    The storm clouds soften. He seems to appreciate your respectful tone. He also seems to have heard your whisper to Xavier.

Hmmm... yes... there is magic in you. Or there was. I will help you, but only if you agree to one condition.

(Pauses)

I have foreseen what lies ahead for the realm. Both for my kind and for you mortals.

(He either uses mortals and men interchangeably or truly believes himself to be above a mortal form. You've never encountered a giant like this, so the latter case is not entirely implausible)

Promise that you will not forget who your friends are. And if there be a call for help, you will answer it.

In giant lore, storm giants are said to possess foresight and are thought somewhat as oracles. Perhaps he sees or senses something in your future that is yet to come.
    Last edited by DM7581; 2020-02-27 at 07:52 AM.