New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Epic Level Game - Chapter 3

Quote Originally Posted by DM7581 View Post
    The ordeal, while empowering, was also exhausting. You have little more than Cantrips available and will need to spend the next week or so (long rest) in recovering.

You are not prohibited to bed rest, so can engage with others during this time.

During this recovery, you have the opportunity to rebuild your spells known list, so you take the opportunity to retrain and refocus your energies.

Go ahead and give me a new list of spells known.
    I would like to assist Arcivus if it will not interfere with my long rest.

“Arcivus, is there anything I can offer assistance with?”

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier Alexis View Post
    I would like to assist Arcivus if it will not interfere with my long rest.

“Arcivus, is there anything I can offer assistance with?”
    Hold your horses. You woke up in the forest. Two days have passed, so you are ahead of everyone in the timeline...

(maybe that was a bad idea, but I'm running with it)

As you awake, you have a flash of a weird dream you had... something about a giant and dragon, or maybe a/the god of each at war. It was all dark and shadowy, with very little flashes of light. Enough to cloud a clear victor, but a painful and disturbing dream, nonetheless.

You did not "rest" well, but felt that little something being off.

Your Arcana/History/general Int knowledge will tell you that dragons and giants are/were adversaries, and even the good ones have trouble getting along. This may have rooted back to ancient times when the pecking order of creatures was first established - dragons securing their spot on top.

This is all you can think of in regards to the importance of this dream - if it is even important at all.
    Spoiler: Current Level/XP
    Show

Arcivus
    XP: 440,000/445,000
    Effective Level: 22

Dr. Nimm
    XP: 590,000/595,000
    Effective Level: 27

Xavier
    XP: 635,000/655,000
    Effective Level: 29

3. - Top - End - #393
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Divine Sense is one of your abilities. Vyncis as the obvious culprit, you can't his direction as well as everything nearby. While he himself does not trigger the sense, something about him does.

He carries the stench of a friend on him. He is not a fiend... but maybe it seems, he has been in contact with one. Whether devil or demon, you are not sure, but definitely something to take note of.
    Arcivus ponders his discovery. Searching for Xavier to ask for help. Xavier has a history of turning into a fiend, thus he must have knowledge about them, and might help out. Dr Nimm is distracted, so Arcivus ask Danae if she would be able to sneak around and perhaps spy on this mage.

(Arcivus know Danae's qualities better than I do, would it be unreasonable to ask her of this? Arcivus knows Danae would say yes in a heartbeat to try and prove herself)
    Spoiler: Arcivus Luscient
    Show

HP: 204/204
    AC: 22
    Stats: 25, 10, 18, 10, 12, 20
    Passive Perception: 11
    Saving Throws: Str 8 (13), Dex 1 (6), Con 11 (16), Wis 8 (13), Cha 11 (17)
    Aura of Protection +5 to all Saves for everyone within 30ft
    Aura of Courage/Devotion immunity to Frighten/Charm for everyone within 30ft
    Always under effect of Protection to Evil and Good

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ketiara View Post
    Arcivus ponders his discovery. Searching for Xavier to ask for help. Xavier has a history of turning into a fiend, thus he must have knowledge about them, and might help out. Dr Nimm is distracted, so Arcivus ask Danae if she would be able to sneak around and perhaps spy on this mage.

(Arcivus know Danae's qualities better than I do, would it be unreasonable to ask her of this? Arcivus knows Danae would say yes in a heartbeat to try and prove herself)
    To simplify, I'll re-collapse the timeline.

Xavier, when you come to, you start to realize that at least a day has passed. You head back to the ship. It is late in the day. Suddenly a small bird, among the other small wildlife around you (squirrels, rabbits, etc., all which scatter off if you approach), makes its presence known to you.

It lands on a small branch and looks intently at you. You pause for a second, your intuition kicking in. It may very well be a familiar to a wizard or some other magical creature.

It takes a good look at you and finally speaks out, but in the voice of a man:

Xavier Alexis. I have been looking for you and seek an audience. Ask for Rynn Xilos at the Frosty Ale tavern.

The bird then shakes off the enchantment, looks around and flies off. Clearly a simple Animal Messenger spell. Could this be a ranger or druid seeking you out? Why?

Xavier arrives at the ship later that day (well after the Vyncis incident) and you all have words.

Again, open forum to role-play.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

5. - Top - End - #395

SolithKnightGuy

To simplify, I'll re-collapse the timeline.

Xavier, when you come to, you start to realize that at least a day has passed. You head back to the ship. It is late in the day. Suddenly a small bird, among the other small wildlife around you (squirrels, rabbits, etc., all which scatter off if you approach), makes its presence known to you.

It lands on a small branch and looks intently at you. You pause for a second, your intuition kicking in. It may very well be a familiar to a wizard or some other magical creature.

It takes a good look at you and finally speaks out, but in the voice of a man:

Xavier Alexis. I have been looking for you and seek an audience. Ask for Rynn Xilos at the Frosty Ale tavern.

The bird then shakes off the enchantment, looks around and flies off. Clearly a simple Animal Messenger spell. Could this be a ranger or druid seeking you out? Why?

Xavier arrives at the ship later that day (well after the Vyncis incident) and you all have words.

Again, open forum to role-play.
    "I sensed an evil presence on the mage earlier, fiendish or demonic (do I know?). It's not him that is fiendish but he has been around one recently"
    Show

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"I sensed an evil presence on the mage earlier, fiendish or demonic (do I know?). It's not him that is fiendish but he has been around one recently"
    Fiendish, but not specifically a devil or demon.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

7. - Top - End - #397

Once it is possible, I will arrange a meeting with Arcivus, Dr. Nimm and Leena.

“Does anyone know where the Frosty Ale tavern is? I have been sent a message to contact someone named Rynn Xilos.”

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

“Does anyone know where the Frosty Ale tavern is? I have been sent a message to contact someone named Rynn Xilos.”
    Your roleplaying ability is nothing short of inspired...

Leena left the group to attend to personal matters, but asking around, you can find your way. The crew likely knows.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

9. - Top - End - #399

SolithKnightGuy

Having lost momentum with that fiendish thing, he put that aside and focus on the new task at hand

Arcivus is a man of action." That tavern cant be to hard to find, lets go. He gets up and opens the door. You guys comming?"
    Show

10. - Top - End - #400

“Yes, my friend.”

I follow Arcivus.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

“Yes, my friend.”

I follow Arcivus.
    I'll say you two head out. Nimm is busy with his crew and ship maintenance.

You arrive late in the day. The town is bustling. Merchants line the streets, as do numerous passerbys. You even see a group or 2 of young adventurers, not unlike yourselves some 10 years ago, haggling for a potion of healing, or simply upgrading their worn armor.

You notice the people recognizing you as you walk the town. Guards seem to envy you, damsels... let's just say something else. Whispers now and again can be heard.

Is it them?

Where is the gnome?

They are so cool!

A little boy, running around with a stick "challenges" Danae to a duel and they have a little fun. You have fans.

After asking around, you finally make it into the Frosty Ale.

The place is a bit older, and overcrowded. Clearly the size of the space never accounted for the volume they are seeing. By the decor, it may have been owned or run by dwarves. Most everything is wood carved, but with a distinct stone feel.

You take a quick look around and see a hooded figure sitting alone at a table. There are cleaned plates of food, and empty mugs from his eating and drinking. He is noticeable because it is crowded everywhere except for around him.

You are not sure if this is the "Rynn" you seek, but have a gut feeling that it just might be.

He is human-sized, maybe just under 6 feet. It is hard to make out his face under the hood, but he wields a pair of blades, strong over his back, light armor, a bow, and plenty of gear, as if he is ready to go wherever he needs to in the moment.

The second you notice him and take this in, he looks up directly at you both, as if he recognizes you. There is a single chair at his table, but he immediately gets up and adds to more from a nearby table.

It is loud in here with people, so he does not call out (nor would it seem appropriate), but it looks like you found your mystery stalker.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

12. - Top - End - #402

“What is your name friend?”

If he confirms he is who we are looking for, I will state the following:

“This is my trusted friend Arcivus. How did you contact me and how can we be of help?”

13. - Top - End - #403

SolithKnightGuy

I'll say you two head out. Nimm is busy with his crew and ship maintenance.

You arrive late in the day. The town is bustling. Merchants line the streets, as do numerous passerbys. You even see a group or 2 of young adventurers, not unlike yourselves some 10 years ago, haggling for a potion of healing, or simply upgrading their worn armor.

You notice the people recognizing you as you walk the town. Guards seem to envy you, damsels... let's just say something else. Whispers now and again can be heard.

Is it them?

Where is the gnome?

They are so cool!

A little boy, running around with a stick "challenges" Danae to a duel and they have a little fun. You have fans.
    Arcivus enjoy the attention and accepts handshakes and praises with practised humility.
    "...I are just doing my duty, to the people"
    "...you would have done the same, had a dragolich attacked your village..."
    "...oh you were talking about the tarrasque, I thought you were referring to the trip into hell to fight super demons and devils"
    "...all I do is for the people, and my god"

Arcivus is soaring high, now that Nimm is not around to keep him grounded.

Arcivus is smiling and in the best of moods when he sit on the second chair offered, and orders a mug of foaming beer and a glass of wine for Xavier (I'm imagining its wine not beer?)
    Last edited by Ketiara; 2020-05-09 at 03:45 PM.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Arcivus enjoy the attention and accepts handshakes and praises with practised humility.
    "...I are just doing my duty, to the people"
    "...you would have done the same, had a dragolich attacked your village..."
    "...oh you were talking about the tarrasque, I thought you were referring to the trip into hell to fight super demons and devils"
    "...all I do is for the people, and my god"

Arcivus is soaring high, now that Nimm is not around to keep him grounded.

Arcivus is smiling and in the best of moods when he sit on the second chair offered, and orders a mug of foaming beer and a glass of wine for Xavier (I'm imagining its wine not beer?)
    Both wine and beer is available. The stock and variety has gone up since Crassus' kingdom has moved in.

Rynn: Well met. You are some of the most talked about heroes of the realm. You were not hard to find.

Please sit. I have some information... possibly a favor to ask of you.

But first, about me. I've spent my life protecting the natural world against extraplanar threats. My family... in a village far from here, many years ago... were massacred. The Githyanki had invaded and plundered.

(Githyanki are an extraplanar race of beings, native to the astral plane)

I've spent most of my life protecting the natural world from creatures like these.

It seems that they may once again become a threat to our plane.

Do you have any understanding of what I speak?
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

15. - Top - End - #405

Both wine and beer is available. The stock and variety has gone up since Crassus' kingdom has moved in.

Rynn: Well met. You are some of the most talked about heroes of the realm. You were not hard to find.

Please sit. I have some information... possibly a favor to ask of you.

But first, about me. I've spent my life protecting the natural world against extraplanar threats. My family... in a village far from here, many years ago... were massacred. The Githyanki had invaded and plundered.

(Githyanki are an extraplanar race of beings, native to the astral plane)

I've spent most of my life protecting the natural world from creatures like these.

It seems that they may once again become a threat to our plane.

Do you have any understanding of what I speak?
    “So much has transpired lately, I do not clearly remember encountering Githyanki. However, I will help you.”

“Barkeep, I would like to try your finest beer!”

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Arcivus and Danae both are taken a bit back by Xavier's desire to partake in the vices of man. You both look at one another and shrug it off. It's been a long last couple of days.

You sit and drink and go on about each other. Rynn knows much about you all, which is not surprising, as word of your adventures has traveled far and wide.

You've not heard of him, but it would be unlikely that anyone would. He describes himself as a wanderer and protector or the natural world, protecting it from extraplanar threats. He has met friend and foe alike, but word of any heroics he has done rarely spills into the songs of the local tavern.

Speaking of, a bard troupe of 3 is singing of the exploits of Crassus and company and how they defended the small town of Cypress many years back. It goes on to how Crassus became king, Christopher Michael rose to serve Pelor, and Xavier went off to save the realm. It's all fun and games, and brings Xavier back. Some of it is outlandish and embellished... but such is the nature of tales.

Suddenly a heckler calls out.

Ha! That's NOT how it happened. Christopher was a fool. He near damn tried to get himself killed. Chosen by Pelor? Ha! More like pitied by Pelor!

He is lean, maybe a sea worn traveler. Chugs his ale and gestures for another. The bar goes a bit quiet for a second but then picks back up.

Xavier, there is something familiar about his voice. Your newly reduced intelligence has you at a loss in placing the voice, however.

Rynn: Well, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed...
    Last edited by DM7581; 2020-05-16 at 05:05 PM.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

17. - Top - End - #407

SolithKnightGuy

Arcivus and Danae both are taken a bit back by Xavier's desire to partake in the vices of man. You both look at one another and shrug it off. It's been a long last couple of days.

You sit and drink and go on about each other. Rynn knows much about you all, which is not surprising, as word of your adventures has traveled far and wide.

You've not heard of him, but it would be unlikely that anyone would. He describes himself as a wanderer and protector or the natural world, protecting it from extraplanar threats. He has met friend and foe alike, but word of any heroics he has done rarely spills into the songs of the local tavern.

Speaking of, a bard troupe of 3 is singing of the exploits of Crassus and company and how they defended the small town of Cypress many years back. It goes on to how Crassus became king, Christopher Michael rose to serve Pelor, and Xavier went off to save the realm. It's all fun and games, and brings Xavier back. Some of it is outlandish and embellished... but such is the nature of tales.

Suddenly a heckler calls out.

Ha! That's NOT how it happened. Christopher was a fool. He near damn tried to get himself killed. Chosen by Pelor? Ha! More like pitied by Pelor!

He is lean, maybe a sea worn traveler. Chugs his ale and gestures for another. The bar goes a bit quiet for a second but then picks back up.

Xavier, there is something familiar about his voice. Your newly reduced intelligence has you at a loss in placing the voice, however.

Rynn: Well, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed...
    Did arcivus experience the episode with Christopher himself?
    Show

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Did arcivus experience the episode with Christopher himself?
    No, this was about a decade ago. You were just starting off as a squire to Rurik at the time. Your father had already fallen to darkness, but you were basically what Danae is to you.

Come to think of it, Xavier looks very young for someone who should be in his mid-life 30s (Arcivus should be late 20s in age for comparison).

To be fair, Xavier has taken on a few "forms," some of which were foreign bodies, but in what you consider to be his "natural" state, he looks no older than 20.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

19. - Top - End - #409

SolithKnightGuy

No, this was about a decade ago. You were just starting off as a squire to Rurik at the time. Your father had already fallen to darkness, but you were basically what Danae is to you.

Come to think of it, Xavier looks very young for someone who should be in his mid-life 30s (Arcivus should be late 20s in age for comparison).

To be fair, Xavier has taken on a few "forms," some of which were foreign bodies, but in what you consider to be his "natural" state, he looks no older than 20.
    Arcivus' first response would normally be to speak up in defence! But spending time with people using brain instead of brawn, has cautioned him.
    And fear of looking foolish if he is wrong.
    He look at X for signs how to proceed
    Show

20. - Top - End - #410

I will address the heckler.

“And, who are you, good sir?”

21. - Top - End - #411

SolithKnightGuy

I will address the heckler.

“And, who are you, good sir?”
    But what about the banter about saint Christopher, were there some truths to what the man said?
    Show

22. - Top - End - #412

But what about the banter about saint Christopher, were there some truths to what the man said?
    “I never considered Christopher Michael anything but a wise and faithful servant of Pelor. My memory is somewhat hazy but he may be talking about an incident involving some gargoyles. Regardless, I only wish to speak to that man because he is familiar to me and I am having trouble placing him.

I care not to argue the veracity of incidents so long passed. As far as I witnessed in our travels, Christopher Michael behaved most heroically.”

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The heckler looks up and you catch eye.

Well, I'll be, if it isn't... Xavier? Ha! The man himself! What are you doing in a hole like this?

He looks a bit older, and hasn't aged well, but its him. Old Robert Jones from Cypress all those years back.

It was him who was with Christopher when he died in that vampire's castle. It was him who actually recruited Crassus from a simple mercenary who would eventually rise to rule. It was him to had you all set out to sea on some of your greatest adventures.

And the sea still sits on him. Behind the smell of alcohol, that is.

He gets up, but looks to be just a tad out of shape from whence you remember him, and gives you a warm Cypress embrace. He may be a little inebriated.

You are a bit stunned. Haven't seen him in years.
    Last edited by DM7581; 2020-05-22 at 06:13 AM.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

“I never considered Christopher Michael anything but a wise and faithful servant of Pelor. My memory is somewhat hazy but he may be talking about an incident involving some gargoyles. Regardless, I only wish to speak to that man because he is familiar to me and I am having trouble placing him.

I care not to argue the veracity of incidents so long passed. As far as I witnessed in our travels, Christopher Michael behaved most heroically.”
    In truth, Christopher, pre-Saint, was a bit of a troublemaker. Always had a cigar in his mouth and would flick it into many of his fallen foes to set them ablaze.

It was a bit twisted, but Pelor is regarded as the god of the sun, so maybe the heat/fire thing was not too out of line.

It was Christopher who planted quite a many seed in Crassus in the ways of religion. As you all camped out inbetween adventures, you recall Christopher trying to impart some insight. It looks like some of that stuck, as Crassus now seems more zealous than a simple warrior king, but rather one with divine inspirations, if not aspirations.
    Last edited by DM7581; 2020-05-22 at 12:11 PM.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

25. - Top - End - #415

“Robert Jones! It is good to see you again. It has really been too long. Much has happened since our travels and my memories could certainly use some refreshment. Please join us.

Allow me to introduce my friends Arcivus and Danae as well as our most recent acquaintance Rynn.”

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Robert Jones History

You all sit and talk a while. Quite a throwback, but with a new friend in Rynn.

Robert Jones was originally played by my younger brother Joe. It was him and Christopher Michael (played by a friend named Chris) who launched the campaign. They hired Crassus early on as a warrior/mercenary and met with Xavier a short while later at a nearby town. The rest is history.

Their ventures spanned the small island, but Jones always had a love for the sea. When the group disbanded (around the end of the AD&D 2e era; friends had moved away, Rick went on to the Air Force, and the campaign paused), Crassus stayed behind to rule, Xavier ventured out alone, and we never really revisited Robert Jones.

He was originally a Dual-Class Fighter then Thief. He seems out of adventuring shape.

--

He tells you that he is one of Crassus' premiere captains. When asked to take on more responsibilities in the kingdom, he declined, enjoying the sea faring life far too much. They keep in touch, but Robert has retired from adventuring.
    Last edited by DM7581; 2020-05-23 at 08:40 AM.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

27. - Top - End - #417

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Robert Jones History

Robert Jones was originally played by my younger brother Joe. It was him and Christopher Michael (played by a friend named Chris) who launched the campaign. They hired Crassus early on as a warrior/mercenary and met with Xavier a short while later at a nearby town. The rest is history.

Their ventures spanned the small island, but Jones always had a love for the sea. When the group disbanded (around the end of the AD&D 2e era; friends had moved away, Rick went on to the Air Force, and the campaign paused), Crassus stayed behind to rule, Xavier ventured out alone, and we never really revisited Robert Jones.

He was originally a Dual-Class Fighter then Thief. He seems out of adventuring shape.

--

He tells you that he is one of Crassus' premiere captains. When asked to take on more responsibilities in the kingdom, he declined, enjoying the sea faring life far too much. They keep in touch, but Robert has retired from adventuring.
    Arcivus salutes when presented, and wait for the opportune moment.

"Whats new to report from the oceans?" Arcivus asks ...continuing with "on land we've been busy with Tarrasques, Fiends, Dragons and other beings of evil and elemental sort. Popping up frequently. With the vastness of the oceans I cant imagine what might be surfacing out there".
    Show

28. - Top - End - #418

Default Re: Robert Jones History

--

I will take this opportunity to gain some insight about the perception of Bear Ghost within Crassus’ kingdom.

“I am very glad to see you are well Robert. And, I do have something I could use your help with. What can you tell me about how people feel about Bear Ghost? Or, have you heard anything of note from reputable sources? I believe an alliance between Crassus and Bear Ghost may be vital to the survival of the realm.”

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ocean's been rather calm. Have lost a few ships, but such are the risks... not much going on there. A few trips back and forth for supplies.

Not sure about this Bear fellow. Been busy between here and Cypress. Population has grown, so expansion is the cure, I suppose. A lot of sick people. Lack of faith.

Well, lady luck has been good to me (belches, gestures for another ale).

Not much from him, but nice to see a familiar face after all these years.

As you are catching up, a small group of young adventurers enters the tavern and plop at a seat. They spill over some coin on the table, divvying it up. It catches your eye, because not too long ago, you did the same sort of thing: narrowly escape certain doom, horde trameasure, save someone or something, slay a terrible monster. As Robert kicks back another with you, you overhear their conversation.

Man, that was the biggest spider I've ever seen!

(You've seen your fair share of giant spiders, some as big as horses. You chuckle it off and turn away until...)

Yeah, it could probably eat an entire house. Good thing we got out of there in time. Sure hope it doesnt come this way.

Spiders, even of the monstrous variety, are not known to get this big. You are not sure if they are simply exaggerating their story as young adventurers, and being overly load in their boasting, of if they are being sincere.

Perhaps something to bring to Dr. Nimm's attention since he loves exploring the unnatural in an otherwise natural world.

Rynn sits quietly, very patient, as well, hoping to have captured your attention with his request.
    Last edited by DM7581; 2020-06-01 at 08:50 PM.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Three Items going on (recap):

Rynn Xilo asks for some inter-planar assistance.

Robert Jones run in. Does not seem to be the adventuring types and makes runs back and forth from Cypress to main land.

Small group of young adventurers discussing recent encounter with larger-than-life spider.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier