New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Epic Level Game - Chapter 3

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Nimm View Post
    I use my grenadier feature and toss a 4d8 fire bomb as an action and bonus action.

28: 23 damage
    30: 27 damage
    These bombs are at disadvantage, but you hit anyway. The creature rears its many heads in anger as the fire scars its rubbery skin.

Xavier maneuvers away as he blasts the creature with yet more fire.

Danae moves into a safe position and stands fast as Arcivus closes in to face the creature 1-1.

The troll then sets its eyes on Dr. Nimm, after being blasted twice by fire from him.

A flurry of swings of claws and bites reign down, catching Nimm for 36 damage. Of note, the disgusting maws of the creature seem poisonous, but the good doctor has built up quite an immunity to such effects.

Arcivus finally closes in.

FYI: The bonus action to shove needs to be taken after the attack action, so you cannot knock prone and then swing. It is swing and then knock prone... kind of weakens the build, but it is the official ruling.

Nevertheless, all of Arcivus' attacks hit. The troll seems to be reeling a bit from the onslaught, but does not relent. It seems to babble to itself and you all, incoherently, in what sounds like a mesh of giant and gibberish.

Total damage taken this round: 122. Not bad! The troll looks very hurt.

Leena tends to Reli with a Cure Wounds Spell (at 4th Level, for 20 HP). Her bond with Reli is such that they both gain the benefit of the spell!

She then gestures for Danae to stand back, and then calls out to you all over the howling winds.

Leena: Keep with the fire! It looks weak!

Danae can act unless Arcivus orders otherwise, aside from that, give me Xavier and Dr. Nimm one more time. Arcivus, you go after the troll.

--

Initiative:

Leena: 31 (HP: 142/144; Reli HP: 55/80)
    Danae: 16
    Xavier: 14 (HP: 140/162)
    Dr. Nimm: 14 (HP: 125/183)
    Dire Troll: 11 (225 damage?)
    Arcivus: 8 (HP: 182/204)
    Spoiler: Current Level/XP
    Show

Arcivus
    XP: 440,000/445,000
    Effective Level: 22

Dr. Nimm
    XP: 590,000/595,000
    Effective Level: 27

Xavier
    XP: 635,000/655,000
    Effective Level: 29

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

As my action, I activate Energy Beam (Fire) and inflict 4d8 (15) damage on the creature. A DC 22 Dexterity Save negates the damage.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Action: disengage

Move max speed away from troll

Bonus action: acid bomb. 24 to hit w disadvantage. 28 damage.

Rupert, move in!

Rupert moves next to the troll.
    Spoiler: Downtime projects
    Show

-Fort Knox safe
    -Custom mundane armor/weapons for squires
    -Buy scrolls at Frost dale
    -Transcribe bought scrolls and Asmodeus scrolls.
    -Collaborate with Xavier on automaton crew design
    -Potions for Arcivus : Haste, Enhance ability, blur, fly(or whatever he wants). As many as downtime allows, up to about 3 or so max.
    -Potions for myself: Fog cloud (smoke bomb), zone of truth (truth serum), sleep (sleep grenade).
    -Change SMART cannon to hand held

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Action: disengage

Move max speed away from troll

Bonus action: acid bomb. 24 to hit w disadvantage. 28 damage.

Rupert, move in!

Rupert moves next to the troll.
    The fire blasts both hit. The creature looks burnt all over, yet still somehow stands.

Rupert scuttles forward(?) and the troll goes next.

More annoyed by the familiar than threatened, he takes a swing at it with his claws, but focuses the brunt of his assault or Arcivus.

Not sure if you had a reaction of sorts on this, but poor little Rupert has an AC of 13 and only 1 HP. The claw swipe hits and he flops over lifeless, twitching slightly as he lets out a little squeak.

The remaining swipes are focused on Arcivus, another flurry of claws and bites, who inflicts a total of 8 damage (after resistance). The bulk of the blows are avoided, with only 1 claw swipe having any meaningful force behind it.

On to Arcivus.

--

Initiative:

Dire Troll: 11 (250+ damage)
    Arcivus: 8 (HP: 174/204)
    Last edited by DM7581; 2018-12-02 at 02:11 PM.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

5. - Top - End - #65

"Rupert is a magical creature imbued with the power of alchemy. Death is little more than a power nap to him."

"Nevertheless, it was cowardly and crass of you to attack a tiny defenseless creature. Pray you don't live till the next round of combat!"
    Show

-Fort Knox safe
    -Potions for Arcivus : Haste, Enhance ability, blur, fly(or whatever he wants). As many as downtime allows, up to about 3 or so max.
    -Potions for myself: Fog cloud (smoke bomb), zone of truth (truth serum), sleep (sleep grenade).

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Rupert is a magical creature imbued with the power of alchemy. Death is little more than a power nap to him."

"Nevertheless, it was cowardly and crass of you to attack a tiny defenseless creature. Pray you don't live till the next round of combat!"
    Still wondering why you had him rush the front lines. In my head it is funny, but only when I envision it as a cartoon. When I imagine everything to be lifelike, its kind of sick.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

7. - Top - End - #67

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DM7581 View Post
    The fire blasts both hit. The creature looks burnt all over, yet still somehow stands.

Rupert scuttles forward(?) and the troll goes next.

More annoyed by the familiar than threatened, he takes a swing at it with his claws, but focuses the brunt of his assault or Arcivus.

Not sure if you had a reaction of sorts on this, but poor little Rupert has an AC of 13 and only 1 HP. The claw swipe hits and he flops over lifeless, twitching slightly as he lets out a little squeak.

The remaining swipes are focused on Arcivus, another flurry of claws and bites, who inflicts a total of 8 damage (after resistance). The bulk of the blows are avoided, with only 1 claw swipe having any meaningful force behind it.

On to Arcivus.

--

Initiative:

Dire Troll: 11 (250+ damage)
    Arcivus: 8 (HP: 174/204)
    I take it that I didnt manage to knock over the troll, because you havnt mentioned that it stood up again.

Arcivus strike at the troll:
    Roll: 1 MISS!
    Roll: 11 + 16 = 27 ; (1d8)6 + 10+ (1d8)2 + (3d8)15 = 33
    Knock prone: 11+13 = 24 (athletics)
    Spoiler: Arcivus Luscient
    Show

HP: 204/204
    AC: 22
    Stats: 25, 10, 18, 10, 12, 20
    Passive Perception: 11
    Saving Throws: Str 8 (13), Dex 1 (6), Con 11 (16), Wis 8 (13), Cha 11 (17)
    Aura of Protection +5 to all Saves for everyone within 30ft
    Aura of Courage/Devotion immunity to Frighten/Charm for everyone within 30ft
    Always under effect of Protection to Evil and Good

8. - Top - End - #68

Still wondering why you had him rush the front lines. In my head it is funny, but only when I envision it as a cartoon. When I imagine everything to be lifelike, its kind of sick.
    I didn't think a mighty troll would notice or even care about a little fox.
    Show

-Fort Knox safe

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ketiara View Post
    I take it that I didnt manage to knock over the troll, because you havnt mentioned that it stood up again.

Arcivus strike at the troll:
    Roll: 1 MISS!
    Roll: 11 + 16 = 27 ; (1d8)6 + 10+ (1d8)2 + (3d8)15 = 33
    Knock prone: 11+13 = 24 (athletics)
    The sole blow lands the troll on its back. It lies there twitching. It won’t die unless exposed to fire or acid - and you have a round to make that decision.

Leena stands fast as she suspects that Nimm might have a scheme or sorts up his sleeve, despite the fact that she hates giants with a passion. This one is like none other that she or any of you have ever faced.

What’ll it be? Kill it or something else?
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

10. - Top - End - #70

SolithKnightGuy

The sole blow lands the troll on its back. It lies there twitching. It won’t die unless exposed to fire or acid - and you have a round to make that decision.

Leena stands fast as she suspects that Nimm might have a scheme or sorts up his sleeve, despite the fact that she hates giants with a passion. This one is like none other that she or any of you have ever faced.

What’ll it be? Kill it or something else?
    Arcivus figures Nimm wants to harvest a gland or spleen or something like that, and spend some time trying to secure the area for unseen threaths... perception: 19+1 = 20
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71

"Perhaps this troll could be put to good use. Should we offer it a chance to join Bear Ghost's tribe?"

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier Alexis View Post
    "Perhaps this troll could be put to good use. Should we offer it a chance to join Bear Ghost's tribe?"
    ::Already has dissection tools in hand:: "Errm... I was thinking of cutting it open and studying it. I must know how it got two heads! Imagine if I had two heads. The possibilities are astonishing! Twice the cognition. I could work on two separate designs at the same time. Read two books at the same time. Read one book twice as fast! I would never waste time sleeping! Each head merely takes turns! This is a breakthrough, Xavier! A breakthrough! "
    Show

-Fort Knox safe

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

::Already has dissection tools in hand:: "Errm... I was thinking of cutting it open and studying it. I must know how it got two heads! Imagine if I had two heads. The possibilities are astonishing! Twice the cognition. I could work on two separate designs at the same time. Read two books at the same time. Read one book twice as fast! I would never waste time sleeping! Each head merely takes turns! This is a breakthrough, Xavier! A breakthrough! "
    Leena: Well, this isn't the worst place to take a rest... It looks like it was a small camp site at one point. We have the mountains at our back and good cover with the trees...

The troll remains alive, and Dr. Nimm can work on a live specimen for as long as he likes. He simply needs to stab it or dab some acid (continued use of fire is more difficult in the cold and snowy conditions).

--

Dr. Nimm coins this a Dire Troll. It may be the first of its kind, at least the first that has ever been discovered. After cutting it open and exploring the innards, it is revealed that the creature probably went mad at some point and succumbed to cannibalism. There is a fair amount of wild game, so it was likely not due to lack of food, but something else.

In its continuing descent to madness, it starts using the limbs of the creatures it would slay, namely other trolls, and attach arms, even heads, and other appendages to itself, as it would continue to grow to an even larger size due to the interaction of its new diet.

At this point, the creature becomes solitary and has either killed all of its former clan mates or has driven them off. The remainder of its life would likely have been in "solitude," though the fact that it had multiple heads, likely from former prey, and all with differing personalities, would suggest that the creature would never be truly alone.

As far as it joining Bear Ghost's tribe... not really an option. It would succumb to cannibalism and try to eat other clan members and generally be a destructive force. There really is no socially acceptable place for a creature like this to exist.

--

You all hang out a bit and take a break (bathroom, food, drink, sit), if only to let Dr. Nimm work on the fresh specimen. A limb can be severed, and continue to grow, but might act very bestial if not contained. Same goes for a head. Parts may eventually regenerate into a full troll, but it would take some time. Not sure if this is something you would want to experiment on.

We moving on, resting (a short rest is 8 hours), or something else?
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

14. - Top - End - #74

SolithKnightGuy

Leena: Well, this isn't the worst place to take a rest... It looks like it was a small camp site at one point. We have the mountains at our back and good cover with the trees...

The troll remains alive, and Dr. Nimm can work on a live specimen for as long as he likes. He simply needs to stab it or dab some acid (continued use of fire is more difficult in the cold and snowy conditions).

--

Dr. Nimm coins this a Dire Troll. It may be the first of its kind, at least the first that has ever been discovered. After cutting it open and exploring the innards, it is revealed that the creature probably went mad at some point and succumbed to cannibalism. There is a fair amount of wild game, so it was likely not due to lack of food, but something else.

In its continuing descent to madness, it starts using the limbs of the creatures it would slay, namely other trolls, and attach arms, even heads, and other appendages to itself, as it would continue to grow to an even larger size due to the interaction of its new diet.

At this point, the creature becomes solitary and has either killed all of its former clan mates or has driven them off. The remainder of its life would likely have been in "solitude," though the fact that it had multiple heads, likely from former prey, and all with differing personalities, would suggest that the creature would never be truly alone.

As far as it joining Bear Ghost's tribe... not really an option. It would succumb to cannibalism and try to eat other clan members and generally be a destructive force. There really is no socially acceptable place for a creature like this to exist.

--

You all hang out a bit and take a break (bathroom, food, drink, sit), if only to let Dr. Nimm work on the fresh specimen. A limb can be severed, and continue to grow, but might act very bestial if not contained. Same goes for a head. Parts may eventually regenerate into a full troll, but it would take some time. Not sure if this is something you would want to experiment on.

We moving on, resting (a short rest is 8 hours), or something else?
    Arcivus rests and pray whenever possible. He never know when he can rest next time, so whenever the chance arises he take it. During this time, he observe Nimm.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75

"Fascinating. Fascinating."

I remove a finger from each of its hands and one eye and one ear from each head.

"I will grow these and observe the results. I'm interested to see if it will grow a 3 headed troll again or grow the original troll."
    Show

-Fort Knox safe

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Fascinating. Fascinating."

I remove a finger from each of its hands and one eye and one ear from each head.

"I will grow these and observe the results. I'm interested to see if it will grow a 3 headed troll again or grow the original troll."
    Remember that starvation is a thing. if it takes too long to grow a part, it will eventually whither.

This is not 100% inline with how troll regeneration is explained, but since we are merging science here, it needs to be explainable.

That being said, a limb will continue to regenerate, but without a way to sustain it, it will effectively "starve" before it can grow into its own new body.

You may be able to do it, but it will take time and resources.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

17. - Top - End - #77

For now I try a nutrient bath using some of my rations, boiling the food to a broth and using alchemical preservatives and minerals to slow down the spoiling of both the broth and the organs.

I place the parts in specimen containers. One one set of parts I add a bit of healing potion to the broth. Take notes and check progress the next day.
    Last edited by Dr_Nimm; 2018-12-08 at 10:31 AM.
    Show

-Fort Knox safe

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

For now I try a nutrient bath using some of my rations, boiling the food to a broth and using alchemical preservatives and minerals to slow down the spoiling of both the broth and the organs.

I place the parts in specimen containers. One one set of parts I add a bit of healing potion to the broth. Take notes and check progress the next day.
    Cool. I may ask for some checks in the coming days.

An to answer Xavier, your Psi Points recover after a long rest (7 days), not a short rest (8 hours). You all rested prior to coming here. How many have you used since?

--

In any event, not wanting to sit for 8 hours, and the day still young, you begin to climb the mountain. I'd typically call for checks here, but Arcivus is strong enough to assist where needed, as is Mr. Benson. Leena and Reli fare well on their own.

Visibility is limited and the combination of ice, snow, and wind make this very rough terrain. About an hour or so into it, you can barely make out a few flying creatures circling a bit overhead. It is hard to make them out. At this distance they look like very big birds. You see at least 3.

It is going to take a LONG time to climb this mountain. Think Everest, which I read can take about 2 months. I will say that you are all equivalent to expert climbers, if not due to supernatural abilities, so should make this shorter. The fastest recorded time for anyone to have climbed Everest is about 11 hours.

I'll say you can all do it in around 12 hours, with minimal stops, but you will be severely winded (exhaustion). Taking more time to stop/rest will help minimize this. Magic may help. Whats the call?
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

19. - Top - End - #79

Cool. I may ask for some checks in the coming days.

An to answer Xavier, your Psi Points recover after a long rest (7 days), not a short rest (8 hours). You all rested prior to coming here. How many have you used since?

--

In any event, not wanting to sit for 8 hours, and the day still young, you begin to climb the mountain. I'd typically call for checks here, but Arcivus is strong enough to assist where needed, as is Mr. Benson. Leena and Reli fare well on their own.

Visibility is limited and the combination of ice, snow, and wind make this very rough terrain. About an hour or so into it, you can barely make out a few flying creatures circling a bit overhead. It is hard to make them out. At this distance they look like very big birds. You see at least 3.

It is going to take a LONG time to climb this mountain. Think Everest, which I read can take about 2 months. I will say that you are all equivalent to expert climbers, if not due to supernatural abilities, so should make this shorter. The fastest recorded time for anyone to have climbed Everest is about 11 hours.

I'll say you can all do it in around 12 hours, with minimal stops, but you will be severely winded (exhaustion). Taking more time to stop/rest will help minimize this. Magic may help. Whats the call?
    Two 6 hour shifts
    Show

-Fort Knox safe

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Two 6 hour shifts
    Leena couldn't care less (she would just push on), and everyone else heed's Dr. Nimm's advice...

The first few hours go by fairly uneventful. You keep your eye on the circling birds. They seem to notice you, but at the range that they are at, keep a fairly safe distance. The cold is blistering. Everyone is bundled up. You manage through a few slips and falls, but nothing treacherous. This path is clearly made for much larger creatures, at least frost giants, which you suspect may have had a presence here at one time or another.

After 6 hours, everyone is fairly exhausted...

Arcivus has suffered 2 levels of exhaustion (disadvantage on ability checks, speed halved).

Dr. Nimm and Xavier each suffer 1 level of exhaustion (only disadvantage on ability checks).

Only a long rest removes exhaustion, so you can push on or use magic to restore your vitality.

You take a short rest that night, as the day closes. Leena prepares a fire and finds a suitable place to rest. You all snack on some dried foods.

Any conversation or roleplay worth noting before settling in for the night?
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

21. - Top - End - #81

Is there a concoction I can make to restore exhaustion?
    Show

-Fort Knox safe

22. - Top - End - #82

With my portable lab and class bonus, how long will it take for me to brew a potion of vitality?

I can also cast greater resto
    Show

-Fort Knox safe

23. - Top - End - #83

SolithKnightGuy

Leena couldn't care less (she would just push on), and everyone else heed's Dr. Nimm's advice...

The first few hours go by fairly uneventful. You keep your eye on the circling birds. They seem to notice you, but at the range that they are at, keep a fairly safe distance. The cold is blistering. Everyone is bundled up. You manage through a few slips and falls, but nothing treacherous. This path is clearly made for much larger creatures, at least frost giants, which you suspect may have had a presence here at one time or another.

After 6 hours, everyone is fairly exhausted...

Arcivus has suffered 2 levels of exhaustion (disadvantage on ability checks, speed halved).

Dr. Nimm and Xavier each suffer 1 level of exhaustion (only disadvantage on ability checks).

Only a long rest removes exhaustion, so you can push on or use magic to restore your vitality.

You take a short rest that night, as the day closes. Leena prepares a fire and finds a suitable place to rest. You all snack on some dried foods.

Any conversation or roleplay worth noting before settling in for the night?
    Arcivus is very embarrassed about his exhaustion, blames his armor if anyone asks. :)
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Arcivus is very embarrassed about his exhaustion, blames his armor if anyone asks. :)
    Indeed, with your speed halved, it will double the amount of time for day 2 to 12 hours...

The potion will cost you 500 GP and take about 10 days for 1.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

25. - Top - End - #85

Indeed, with your speed halved, it will double the amount of time for day 2 to 12 hours...

The potion will cost you 500 GP and take about 10 days for 1.
    Who are you talking to?

Remember I have a class bonus and an artifact that speeds potion making
    Show

-Fort Knox safe

26. - Top - End - #86

"Come, my friends. I will attempt to let the power of our minds relieve our fatigue."

I use Psionic Mastery 4 times, which grants me 11 special psi points per use, to heal our group.

I activate Psionic Restoration (Restore Vigor) to negate all levels of exhaustion from Arcivus, Dr. Nimm and I, spending 7 special psi points per level of exhaustion.

With the remaining 4 special psi points per use of Psionic Mastery, I activate Psionic Restoration (Mend Wounds) and heal any injured allies 4d8 hit points. Rolls are 14, 23, 18 and 12.

I also use Mystical Recovery so every psi point I use heals me by 1 hit point.

I change my psychic focus to Mastery of Air, allowing me to ignore difficult terrain while walking. It also grants me immunity to damage caused from falling.

27. - Top - End - #87

During this time I perform the ritual to find familiar. However, I bring back Rupert in a different form, per the spell descriptor.

"I will recreate Rupert in a form that complements his intelligence. He shall be reborn as a parrot"
    Show

-Fort Knox safe

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier Alexis View Post
    "Come, my friends. I will attempt to let the power of our minds relieve our fatigue."

I use Psionic Mastery 4 times, which grants me 11 special psi points per use, to heal our group.

I activate Psionic Restoration (Restore Vigor) to negate all levels of exhaustion from Arcivus, Dr. Nimm and I, spending 7 special psi points per level of exhaustion.

With the remaining 4 special psi points per use of Psionic Mastery, I activate Psionic Restoration (Mend Wounds) and heal any injured allies 4d8 hit points. Rolls are 14, 23, 18 and 12.

I also use Mystical Recovery so every psi point I use heals me by 1 hit point.

I change my psychic focus to Mastery of Air, allowing me to ignore difficult terrain while walking. It also grants me immunity to damage caused from falling.
    "Most impressive! To manifest this with neither incantation nor alchemy defies all known occult sciences and arcanologies!"
    Last edited by Dr_Nimm; 2018-12-10 at 09:26 PM.
    Show

-Fort Knox safe

29. - Top - End - #89

"Most impressive! To manifest this with neither incantation nor alchemy defies all known occult sciences and arcanologies!"
    "Perhaps there is a way to preserve this psionic vessel if we are successful in restoring my magical abilities. If so, you can gain a further understanding of psionic abilities."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You all notice that Leena has been mostly unaffected by the rough terrain and is usually ahead of you all (and often times scouting a bit ahead and/or waiting). The cold weather is a bit rough for all though, yet she seems more at home than anyone else.

--

So you all estimate a similar journey for the next part of the trip and take a short rest.

It is a cold and wet night, with a mixture of both rain and snow. Loud cracks of thunder and lightning can be heard and seen throughout the night as well. The harsh winds make rest uncomfortable at best, and the silhouettes of the giant circling birds has yet to fade. Wolves howl off into the distance, barely audible over the loud winds. Mr. Benson stands vigilant at guard, but is eventually joined by Leena after her brief trance.

"Day" breaks, but aside from a bit more light, the conditions continue. Leena has a small, but nourishing meal prepped as you awaken, as she seems to somehow keep a fire lit with the little mountain cover that she has.

You all head off after your mourning routines. Xavier mediates in silence. Dr. Nimm has his morning pipe as he scribbles and jots notes in his tome. Arcivus and Danae sit in prayer and some light morning calisthenics.

--

About 2 hours in, Leena halts you all. Visibility has gotten very bad, maybe 50 feet at most due in part both to the rain, snow, and rising fog. In order to speak, one must yell, and she seems apprehensive to do so. She is gesturing at you all pointing to your sides and behind you, waving her fingers in a circle.

Let me get your marching order (Leena and Reli are up front, but someone can be beside or right behind them) as well as an Int check to try to figure out what she is trying to convey. If you have the Survival skill, feel free to add that in.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier