New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Epic Level Game - Chapter 3

Quote Originally Posted by DM7581 View Post
    You all notice that Leena has been mostly unaffected by the rough terrain and is usually ahead of you all (and often times scouting a bit ahead and/or waiting). The cold weather is a bit rough for all though, yet she seems more at home than anyone else.

--

So you all estimate a similar journey for the next part of the trip and take a short rest.

It is a cold and wet night, with a mixture of both rain and snow. Loud cracks of thunder and lightning can be heard and seen throughout the night as well. The harsh winds make rest uncomfortable at best, and the silhouettes of the giant circling birds has yet to fade. Wolves howl off into the distance, barely audible over the loud winds. Mr. Benson stands vigilant at guard, but is eventually joined by Leena after her brief trance.

"Day" breaks, but aside from a bit more light, the conditions continue. Leena has a small, but nourishing meal prepped as you awaken, as she seems to somehow keep a fire lit with the little mountain cover that she has.

You all head off after your mourning routines. Xavier mediates in silence. Dr. Nimm has his morning pipe as he scribbles and jots notes in his tome. Arcivus and Danae sit in prayer and some light morning calisthenics.

--

About 2 hours in, Leena halts you all. Visibility has gotten very bad, maybe 50 feet at most due in part both to the rain, snow, and rising fog. In order to speak, one must yell, and she seems apprehensive to do so. She is gesturing at you all pointing to your sides and behind you, waving her fingers in a circle.

Let me get your marching order (Leena and Reli are up front, but someone can be beside or right behind them) as well as an Int check to try to figure out what she is trying to convey. If you have the Survival skill, feel free to add that in.
    Intelligence check 17+6 = 23.

I stay about 5 feet behind Arcivus.

I change my Psychic Focus to Telepathic Contact. This allows me to telepathically communicate with up to six creatures at once.

Instead of yelling, I communicate telepathically with Leena and the rest of our group.

"Leena, speak to me using your thoughts and I will relay the information to our allies."

I relay all information Leena gives me to everyone else.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier Alexis View Post
    Intelligence check 17+6 = 23.

I stay about 5 feet behind Arcivus.

I change my Psychic Focus to Telepathic Contact. This allows me to telepathically communicate with up to six creatures at once.

Instead of yelling, I communicate telepathically with Leena and the rest of our group.

"Leena, speak to me using your thoughts and I will relay the information to our allies."

I relay all information Leena gives me to everyone else.
    Relieved from his exhaustion and with evergrowing respect for Xavier, Arcivus takes lead (with Leena infront scouting), protecting Xavier, and Nimm behind him.
    With a good survival roll Arcivus may perhaps do some good: 18+1 =19.
    Spoiler: Arcivus Luscient
    Show

HP: 204/204
    AC: 22
    Stats: 25, 10, 18, 10, 12, 20
    Passive Perception: 11
    Saving Throws: Str 8 (13), Dex 1 (6), Con 11 (16), Wis 8 (13), Cha 11 (17)
    Aura of Protection +5 to all Saves for everyone within 30ft
    Aura of Courage/Devotion immunity to Frighten/Charm for everyone within 30ft
    Always under effect of Protection to Evil and Good

3. - Top - End - #93

You all notice that Leena has been mostly unaffected by the rough terrain and is usually ahead of you all (and often times scouting a bit ahead and/or waiting). The cold weather is a bit rough for all though, yet she seems more at home than anyone else.

--

So you all estimate a similar journey for the next part of the trip and take a short rest.

It is a cold and wet night, with a mixture of both rain and snow. Loud cracks of thunder and lightning can be heard and seen throughout the night as well. The harsh winds make rest uncomfortable at best, and the silhouettes of the giant circling birds has yet to fade. Wolves howl off into the distance, barely audible over the loud winds. Mr. Benson stands vigilant at guard, but is eventually joined by Leena after her brief trance.

"Day" breaks, but aside from a bit more light, the conditions continue. Leena has a small, but nourishing meal prepped as you awaken, as she seems to somehow keep a fire lit with the little mountain cover that she has.

You all head off after your mourning routines. Xavier mediates in silence. Dr. Nimm has his morning pipe as he scribbles and jots notes in his tome. Arcivus and Danae sit in prayer and some light morning calisthenics.

--

About 2 hours in, Leena halts you all. Visibility has gotten very bad, maybe 50 feet at most due in part both to the rain, snow, and rising fog. In order to speak, one must yell, and she seems apprehensive to do so. She is gesturing at you all pointing to your sides and behind you, waving her fingers in a circle.

Let me get your marching order (Leena and Reli are up front, but someone can be beside or right behind them) as well as an Int check to try to figure out what she is trying to convey. If you have the Survival skill, feel free to add that in.
    I follow the March order given by Archie.

LOL Int check 12
    Spoiler: Downtime projects
    Show

-Fort Knox safe
    -Custom mundane armor/weapons for squires
    -Buy scrolls at Frost dale
    -Transcribe bought scrolls and Asmodeus scrolls.
    -Collaborate with Xavier on automaton crew design
    -Potions for Arcivus : Haste, Enhance ability, blur, fly(or whatever he wants). As many as downtime allows, up to about 3 or so max.
    -Potions for myself: Fog cloud (smoke bomb), zone of truth (truth serum), sleep (sleep grenade).
    -Change SMART cannon to hand held

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Nimm View Post
    I follow the March order given by Archie.

LOL Int check 12
    We will say that the order is as follows:

Leena w/ Reli at point
    Arcivus about 10 feet behind, with Danae within 5 feet of him
    Xavier and Dr. Nimm about 10 feet behind him, 5 feet apart from each other
    Mr. Benson covering the rear

Arcivus and Xavier immediately understand what is going on. Apparently you are all being circled, as if in an ambush. Dr. Nimm simply saw her waiving around, and did not make much of her wild gestures, attributing them to her feral and unsophisticated nature.

FYI Xavier: Changing your Psychic Focus can be done as a Bonus Action on your turn, so while you understand that something is about to happen, yu cannot react quickly enough to convey the message to Dr. Nimm. Danae and Mr. Benson seem to not have gotten the drift either.

Suddenly, massive white wolves--winter wolves--come within view, surrounding you all from all sides. Too many to count.

Leena reacts quick and opens fire on 1 of the 2 at point. She then has Reli charge in and face off against it in melee.

Nat 20 for the arrow for 54 damage. Reli charges forward and snaps twice at the same one, hitting both times for 23. The second bite drops the creature, as Reli continues to maul and snap at the body as it goes limp.

The wolf near Reli engages with him, biting Reli now, with a crit for 13 damage.

The remaining wolves close around you and catch you all, simultaneously, with a blast of freezing wind. Depending on where you are, you get hit with a different number of breaths. Being in the middle (Arcivus, Danae, Xavier, and Dr. Nimm) puts you at the greatest risk...

Leena takes a total of 23 cold damage.
    Arcivus takes 105 cold damage. Let's just say that Danae is down and not looking good...
    Xavier takes 52 cold damage.
    Dr. Nimm takes 60 cold damage.
    Mr. Benson takes 35 cold damage.

There are 11 wolves. 1 is engaged in front with Reli, 4 are on each of your flanks, and 2 are at the rear.

Let's go Arcivus and Xavier. Dr. Nimm cannot act this round since he is surprised. Remember that ranged attacks are at disadvantage and visibility is limited. You can get around the noise once Xavier activates his Telepathic Contact.

--

Initiative:

Leena/Reli: 30 (Leena: 121/144; Reli: 67/80)
    Winter Wolves: 21 (11 remaining)
    Arcivus/Danae: 13 (Arcivus: 99/204)
    Xavier: 12 (HP: 110/162)
    Dr. Nimm/Mr. Benson: 12 (both surprised; Dr. Nimm: 123/183, Mr. Benson: 45/80)
    Spoiler: Current Level/XP
    Show

Arcivus
    XP: 440,000/445,000
    Effective Level: 22

Dr. Nimm
    XP: 590,000/595,000
    Effective Level: 27

Xavier
    XP: 635,000/655,000
    Effective Level: 29

5. - Top - End - #95

"Leena grows more savage by the day. Waving her arms about like a frustrated chimpanzee -
    WOOOOOOLVES!"
    Show

-Fort Knox safe
    -Potions for Arcivus : Haste, Enhance ability, blur, fly(or whatever he wants). As many as downtime allows, up to about 3 or so max.
    -Potions for myself: Fog cloud (smoke bomb), zone of truth (truth serum), sleep (sleep grenade).

6. - Top - End - #96

As my reaction, I activate Adaptive Body (Adaptive Shield) to grant myself resistance to the cold damage the wolves just inflicted on me. This resistance lasts until the end of my next turn.

As my action, I activate Psionic Restoration (Mend Wounds) to heal Arcivus 7d8 (25) hit points.

7. - Top - End - #97

SolithKnightGuy

We will say that the order is as follows:

Leena w/ Reli at point
    Arcivus about 10 feet behind, with Danae within 5 feet of him
    Xavier and Dr. Nimm about 10 feet behind him, 5 feet apart from each other
    Mr. Benson covering the rear

Arcivus and Xavier immediately understand what is going on. Apparently you are all being circled, as if in an ambush. Dr. Nimm simply saw her waiving around, and did not make much of her wild gestures, attributing them to her feral and unsophisticated nature.

FYI Xavier: Changing your Psychic Focus can be done as a Bonus Action on your turn, so while you understand that something is about to happen, yu cannot react quickly enough to convey the message to Dr. Nimm. Danae and Mr. Benson seem to not have gotten the drift either.

Suddenly, massive white wolves--winter wolves--come within view, surrounding you all from all sides. Too many to count.

Leena reacts quick and opens fire on 1 of the 2 at point. She then has Reli charge in and face off against it in melee.

Nat 20 for the arrow for 54 damage. Reli charges forward and snaps twice at the same one, hitting both times for 23. The second bite drops the creature, as Reli continues to maul and snap at the body as it goes limp.

The wolf near Reli engages with him, biting Reli now, with a crit for 13 damage.

The remaining wolves close around you and catch you all, simultaneously, with a blast of freezing wind. Depending on where you are, you get hit with a different number of breaths. Being in the middle (Arcivus, Danae, Xavier, and Dr. Nimm) puts you at the greatest risk...

Leena takes a total of 23 cold damage.
    Arcivus takes 105 cold damage. Let's just say that Danae is down and not looking good...
    Xavier takes 52 cold damage.
    Dr. Nimm takes 60 cold damage.
    Mr. Benson takes 35 cold damage.

There are 11 wolves. 1 is engaged in front with Reli, 4 are on each of your flanks, and 2 are at the rear.

Let's go Arcivus and Xavier. Dr. Nimm cannot act this round since he is surprised. Remember that ranged attacks are at disadvantage and visibility is limited. You can get around the noise once Xavier activates his Telepathic Contact.

--

Initiative:

Leena/Reli: 30 (Leena: 121/144; Reli: 67/80)
    Arcivus/Danae: 13 (Arcivus: 99/204)
    Xavier: 12 (HP: 110/162)
    Dr. Nimm/Mr. Benson: 12 (both surprised; Dr. Nimm: 123/183, Mr. Benson: 45/80)
    If Arcivus actually managed to make one of the saves, he uses his reaction (and shield master feat) to completely avoid the damage.

Arcivus then use his LOH to fully heal Danae and then a bonus action to cast sanctuary on her. And then push her out of harms way.
    "Move out of here, dont get caught in their blasts"
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ketiara View Post
    If Arcivus actually managed to make one of the saves, he uses his reaction (and shield master feat) to completely avoid the damage.

Arcivus then use his LOH to fully heal Danae and then a bonus action to cast sanctuary on her. And then push her out of harms way.
    "Move out of here, dont get caught in their blasts"
    Modified everyone's HP, including two of Arcivus' successful saves.

Leena goes again and fires now at the wolf engaged with Reli. Reli then continues to snap at the wolf. They combine (no crits this time) for 57 damage. The wolf at point is still up.

Frustrated at not dropping Reli with a crit, this one now breathes a blast of cold, catching only Reli and Leena. They only take 7 damage a piece.

The rest dive in to attack or breath once again. It is a flurry of large white bodies and flurries of snow and wind, with the wolves cold breath, snaps, and snarls, the only thing that can be felt and heard in the fray!

Since Arcivus used his action to protect Danae, I will give an additional bonus to her saves.

Leena is hit by another 2 blasts and engaged in melee by a wolf. She takes an additional 15 damage.

Arcivus, Xavier, and Dr. Nimm are hit by 3 more blasts each and are engaged in melee by a wolf each. HP damage is updated below and includes all resistances.

Danae was safely placed at the center, with Arcivus at her guard.

We go Arcivus (Danae), Xavier, and Nimm (Benson).

--

Initiative:

Leena/Reli: 30 (Leena: 99/144; Reli: 60/80)
    Arcivus/Danae: 13 (Arcivus: 123/204)
    Xavier: 12 (HP: 126/162)
    Dr. Nimm/Mr. Benson: 12 (Dr. Nimm: 86/183, Mr. Benson: 14/80)
    Last edited by DM7581; 2018-12-20 at 11:28 PM.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

9. - Top - End - #99

SolithKnightGuy

Modified everyone's HP, including two of Arcivus' successful saves.

Leena goes again and fires now at the wolf engaged with Reli. Reli then continues to snap at the wolf. They combine (no crits this time) for 57 damage. The wolf at point is still up.

Frustrated at not dropping Reli with a crit, this one now breathes a blast of cold, catching only Reli and Leena. They only take 7 damage a piece.

The rest dive in to attack or breath once again. It is a flurry of large white bodies and flurries of snow and wind, with the wolves cold breath, snaps, and snarls, the only thing that can be felt and heard in the fray!

Since Arcivus used his action to protect Danae, I will give an additional bonus to her saves.

Leena is hit by another 2 blasts and engaged in melee by a wolf. She takes an additional 15 damage.

Arcivus, Xavier, and Dr. Nimm are hit by 3 more blasts each and are engaged in melee by a wolf each. HP damage is updated below and includes all resistances.

Danae was safely placed at the center, with Arcivus at her guard.

We go Arcivus (Danae), Xavier, and Nimm (Benson).

--

Initiative:

Arcivus chops down on the nearest wolf hoping to cleave it in half.
    1: 16+3 = 19 ; (1d8)3 +10 + (1d8)5 + (2d8)12 = 30 dam
    2: 16+4 = 29 ; (1d8)2 +10 + (1d8)3 + (2d8)13 = 28 dam

then as a bonus action he knock the creature over (or tries to)
    Athletics: 2+13 = 15

"Danae you must move out of the breath zone of these beasts... I cant allow for you to die!"
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Arcivus chops down on the nearest wolf hoping to cleave it in half.
    1: 16+3 = 19 ; (1d8)3 +10 + (1d8)5 + (2d8)12 = 30 dam
    2: 16+4 = 29 ; (1d8)2 +10 + (1d8)3 + (2d8)13 = 28 dam

then as a bonus action he knock the creature over (or tries to)
    Athletics: 2+13 = 15

"Danae you must move out of the breath zone of these beasts... I cant allow for you to die!"
    You swipe at the front wolf on the left side. Both attacks hit, but the wolf still stands. Your kick to knock the wolf fails (he is large, so imagine that you are looking at him, almost face to face). It snarls and snaps at you after your strikes, which draw blood.

Danae takes the Disengage action and positions herself opposite the same, weakened wolf, but still within line of sight (bout 20 feet). The one wolf notices this, as a glimmer of intelligence is seen in its eyes. It snarls and yaps at the others in what seems like a primitive form of communication.

Spoiler: ONLY if you know/speak the Winter Wolf language...
    Show

The girl is weakest. We take her, leave the rest!

We go to Xavier and then Nimm.

There are quite a few left (only 1 is dead of 12). The one fighting Reli as well as the one on Arcivus are injured. The rest (10) are unscathed.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

11. - Top - End - #101

I activate Psychic Disruption (Mind Storm) and target as many wolves as possible. I inflict 6d8 (32) psychic damage.

Each creature in a 20-foot-radius sphere must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, a target takes 6d8 psychic damage and suffers disadvantage on all saving throws until the end of my next turn.

On a successful save, a creature takes half as much damage.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I activate Psychic Disruption (Mind Storm) and target as many wolves as possible. I inflict 6d8 (32) psychic damage.

Each creature in a 20-foot-radius sphere must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, a target takes 6d8 psychic damage and suffers disadvantage on all saving throws until the end of my next turn.

On a successful save, a creature takes half as much damage.
    You get all of the wolves, except for the one at point that Reli moved forward to engage with. The others are basically surrounding you all, so are all well within 20 feet of you.

The weakened wolf in front of Arcivus goes down, but the others are still up. Most of them look like they took the full effect of the rippling blast, but its hard to tell.

Down to 10 wolves, many of which look a little shaken, but not noticeably injured.

Dr. Nimm! And don't forget about Mr. Benson!

--

Initiative:

Winter Wolves: 21 (10 remaining)
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

13. - Top - End - #103

Can you describe the natural surroundings in more detail?

The wolves are basically surrounding us in a pie slice even fashion or are they in scattered clusters?
    Show

-Fort Knox safe

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Can you describe the natural surroundings in more detail?

The wolves are basically surrounding us in a pie slice even fashion or are they in scattered clusters?
    More or less pie slice even, except that one at point and the one near Arcivus on the left flank are down.

Check the messenger drawing sent.

As far as the terrain, you are along a wide cliff path, with the mountain to your left. The path is at least 50 feet wide and you all are more or less centered due to the rougher terrain at the cliff base, and well away from the cliff itself to not be a casualty to falling. There are trees scattered here and there, along the base, as well as stones and other rubble.

The main path is fairly scarce, as it seems that it had been trekked by giants for some time (up until recently at least), so there are no trees or any other obstacles.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

15. - Top - End - #105

It seems I can catch 3 wolves with a fireball if I detonate it further out. Therefore, I have Mr Benson attempt to push a 4th wolf into the blast radius if you're using that rule.

Athletics 17 + prof bonus if he has one.

If you're not using that rule or it's simply not possible, consider that his attack roll for 12 damage.

"Mr Benson! JUDO PROTOCOLS!"

My fireball does 37 damage.
    Show

-Fort Knox safe

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It seems I can catch 3 wolves with a fireball if I detonate it further out. Therefore, I have Mr Benson attempt to push a 4th wolf into the blast radius if you're using that rule.

Athletics 17 + prof bonus if he has one.

If you're not using that rule or it's simply not possible, consider that his attack roll for 12 damage.

"Mr Benson! JUDO PROTOCOLS!"

My fireball does 37 damage.
    I like it.

Here is Mr. Benson's stat block for you... it should have been on your sheet, or at least one of the copies I sent you with updates.

Spoiler: Mr. Benson
    Show

Golem: Mister Benson (Large Construct)
    18 (+4), 10 (+0), 20 (+5), 4 (-3), 10 (+0), 2 (-4)
    HP: 14/80
    AC: 18
    Speed: 30
    Saves: Str +10, Dex +6, Con +11, Int +3, Wis +6, Cha +2
    Advantage on saves against magic
    Resistance to non-magical/non-adamantine weapon attacks
    Attack: 2 Slams (+13, 2d8+10 B dam)

That being said, this is basically a Str vs. Str check, Benson having a +4.

The winter wolves seem equally strong. Mr. Benson grabs on to the 2 front arms of the creature as he tries to lift it and...

Mr. Benson: 17+4=22
    Winter Wolf: 4+4=8

Success! He flips the wolf backward, staggering it a few feet, just as you let off your blast. This is a close call, because he was only able to move him about 5 feet. I'm thinking of making this 10 feet... just for the sake of scaling with creature size, but in the end the result is the same.

Your fireball goes off and catches all 4 of them. While all of them seem to have taken the brunt of the blast, none are dead. Their coats are charred and they look pretty weak, however.

Top of the round...

Reli continues to face off against the wolf at point, one-to-one. He snaps at it twice, the first bit knocking it prone. He inflicts 26 damage.

Leena sees the 4 wolves, fairly grouped together, and takes the opportunity to unleash a spell of her own. She draws and looses and arrow, which crackles with electrical energy as it is released. It strikes the wolf at center right, the wolf is shocked by the electricity, which momentarily lights up the area, and shocks the 2 adjacent to it. All 3 are electrocuted from her Lightning Arrow spell, and drop to the ground, with a not much more than a few loud yelps and muscle twitches.

The wolves go next and seem a bit scattered.

Spoiler: Winter Wolf
    Show

Retreat! Get the weak one!

The prone wolf at point gets up and uses the Disengage action to retreat out of sight.

The one at the rear near Mr. Benson retreats as well.

The remaining 4 (left side), simultaneously, make a grab for Danae as they flee. This leaves them open for an attack.

Arcivus, Xavier, and Mr. Benson can all swing at the wolf nearest them that is fleeing. The fourth wolf was closest to Leena, but she is wielding a bow and is not threatening it in melee.

--

Initiative:

Winter Wolves: 21 (7 remaining)
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

17. - Top - End - #107

I attack one of the fleeing wolves with my dagger.

Attack roll is 11+8 = 19.

Damage roll is 4+2 = 6.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I attack one of the fleeing wolves with my dagger.

Attack roll is 11+8 = 19.

Damage roll is 4+2 = 6.
    Xavier let's off an effeminate whimper as he slashes pathetically at the fleeing wolf. The sharp blade barely nicks its skin under its heavy coat.

In embarrassment, he nearly soils himself as well.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

19. - Top - End - #109

SolithKnightGuy

I like it.

Here is Mr. Benson's stat block for you... it should have been on your sheet, or at least one of the copies I sent you with updates.

Spoiler: Mr. Benson
    Show

Golem: Mister Benson (Large Construct)
    18 (+4), 10 (+0), 20 (+5), 4 (-3), 10 (+0), 2 (-4)
    HP: 14/80
    AC: 18
    Speed: 30
    Saves: Str +10, Dex +6, Con +11, Int +3, Wis +6, Cha +2
    Advantage on saves against magic
    Resistance to non-magical/non-adamantine weapon attacks
    Attack: 2 Slams (+13, 2d8+10 B dam)

That being said, this is basically a Str vs. Str check, Benson having a +4.

The winter wolves seem equally strong. Mr. Benson grabs on to the 2 front arms of the creature as he tries to lift it and...

Mr. Benson: 17+4=22
    Winter Wolf: 4+4=8

Success! He flips the wolf backward, staggering it a few feet, just as you let off your blast. This is a close call, because he was only able to move him about 5 feet. I'm thinking of making this 10 feet... just for the sake of scaling with creature size, but in the end the result is the same.

Your fireball goes off and catches all 4 of them. While all of them seem to have taken the brunt of the blast, none are dead. Their coats are charred and they look pretty weak, however.

Top of the round...

Reli continues to face off against the wolf at point, one-to-one. He snaps at it twice, the first bit knocking it prone. He inflicts 26 damage.

Leena sees the 4 wolves, fairly grouped together, and takes the opportunity to unleash a spell of her own. She draws and looses and arrow, which crackles with electrical energy as it is released. It strikes the wolf at center right, the wolf is shocked by the electricity, which momentarily lights up the area, and shocks the 2 adjacent to it. All 3 are electrocuted from her Lightning Arrow spell, and drop to the ground, with a not much more than a few loud yelps and muscle twitches.

The wolves go next and seem a bit scattered.

Spoiler: Winter Wolf
    Show

Retreat! Get the weak one!

The prone wolf at point gets up and uses the Disengage action to retreat out of sight.

The one at the rear near Mr. Benson retreats as well.

The remaining 4 (left side), simultaneously, make a grab for Danae as they flee. This leaves them open for an attack.

Arcivus, Xavier, and Mr. Benson can all swing at the wolf nearest them that is fleeing. The fourth wolf was closest to Leena, but she is wielding a bow and is not threatening it in melee.

--

Initiative:

Arcivus swings at the wolf:
    11+17=28 ; (1d8)6+10 (1d8)3 + 1st lvl spell(2d8)8 = 27 dam.

Arcivus tries to further their flight by yelling: intimidate 20
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Arcivus swings at the wolf:
    11+17=28 ; (1d8)6+10 (1d8)3 + 1st lvl spell(2d8)8 = 27 dam.

Arcivus tries to further their flight by yelling: intimidate 20
    Further indeed.

Mr. Benson gets a hit in for 25 damage, but then one of the wolves grapples Danae, and drags her off!

The remaining 3 stay close behind, as if in a diamond formation, and they seem to be moving a bit slower than they could be moving if not for dragging away an unwilling victim.

Due to the weather and fog, they quickly move just within sight (about 30 feet out). Danae is behind taken by the wolf at point in this group of 4, heading to the left (let's say it is West for simplicity). The remaining 3 that fled are currently out of sight...

Arcivus can go. Danae's attempt to free herself...

Fails (by a single point!), so she is still grappled and being dragged off.

--

Initiative:

Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

21. - Top - End - #111

SolithKnightGuy

Further indeed.

Mr. Benson gets a hit in for 25 damage, but then one of the wolves grapples Danae, and drags her off!

The remaining 3 stay close behind, as if in a diamond formation, and they seem to be moving a bit slower than they could be moving if not for dragging away an unwilling victim.

Due to the weather and fog, they quickly move just within sight (about 30 feet out). Danae is behind taken by the wolf at point in this group of 4, heading to the left (let's say it is West for simplicity). The remaining 3 that fled are currently out of sight...

Arcivus can go. Danae's attempt to free herself...

Fails (by a single point!), so she is still grappled and being dragged off.

--

Initiative:

Remember that Danae has winged boots... So she takes off as soon as she gets the chance, I would think.

Arcivus moves in the direction of the wolf that has Danae. And if he gets a visual he throws a javelin at the wolf.
    18+15 = 33 ; 15 damage
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Remember that Danae has winged boots... So she takes off as soon as she gets the chance, I would think.

Arcivus moves in the direction of the wolf that has Danae. And if he gets a visual he throws a javelin at the wolf.
    18+15 = 33 ; 15 damage
    You close in as quick as you can, and are able to keep pace with the wolves. There is one right ahead of you, 2 at the flanks, and then the one at point with Danae.

Your attack is at disadvantage (all range attacks are due to the inclement weather), but (15) it still hits. The wolf is still, up though, and it has your javelin sticking out of it, so it is easy to spot.

Xavier, you go! Then Dr. Nimm!

--

Initiative:

Last edited by DM7581; 2019-01-08 at 02:56 PM.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

23. - Top - End - #113

"Arcivus, I will attempt to control the wolf that has Danae and bring it to you. Prepare to strike!"

As my action, I activate Telepathic Contact (Broken Will) and target the wolf carrying Danae.

Upon the wolf failing a DC 22 Intelligence Save, I choose its movement and action on its next turn.

I will have the wolf move to Arcivus and drop Danae at his feet.

As my bonus action, I activate Mystical Recovery, regaining 5 hit points.

After this, I have 57 psi points remaining.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Arcivus, I will attempt to control the wolf that has Danae and bring it to you. Prepare to strike!"

As my action, I activate Telepathic Contact (Broken Will) and target the wolf carrying Danae.

Upon the wolf failing a DC 22 Intelligence Save, I choose its movement and action on its next turn.

I will have the wolf move to Arcivus and drop Danae at his feet.

As my bonus action, I activate Mystical Recovery, regaining 5 hit points.

After this, I have 57 psi points remaining.
    Very good. The effect seems to be working, as the wolf hesitates and looks back at you all (cannot take its action until its own turn though).

Dr. Nimm!
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

25. - Top - End - #115

"Mr Benson, retrieve Danae from the jaws of the beast!"

"Colleagues, I will release a soporofic vapor that will react with elements in the air. Beware!" I cast hypnotic pattern. DC 21.
    Show

-Fort Knox safe

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Mr Benson, retrieve Danae from the jaws of the beast!"

"Colleagues, I will release a soporofic vapor that will react with elements in the air. Beware!" I cast hypnotic pattern. DC 21.
    Mr Benson dashes forward. He will have to go "through" 2 other wolves tot get to the lead wolf, who is only about 30 feet away from him.

The 2 wolves snap at him (opportunity attacks), one hits and he takes 7 damage. The wolf nearly knocks him prone as he advances toward the lead wolf.

Your Hypnotic Pattern catches the 4 wolves in the diamond formation (Mr. Benson is not affected). 2 of them seem affected, while 2 others freeze and stand motionless, in a daze.

The wolf holding Danae is not affected (neither is the one at the rear), but Mr. Benson engages to free Danae.

He succeeds! He pulls the creatures jaws open and Danae falls to the ground, prone.

Seeing an opening, Leena has Reli engage this same wolf just as she opens fire with her bow for 16 damage.

Just as Reli is closing on the lead wold, another tackles him from out of the darkness (Readied action), interrupting his path. Reli snaps at this one instead, twice for 30 damage.

Another wolf appears out of the fog and howls out. The wolves begin to retreat, leaving Danae alone, with their tails between their legs.

3 wolves remain. 2 will remain incapacitated for up to a minute. The last is under Xavier's effect and he can dictate how it acts. It would have dropped Danae, but Danae was wrestled free by Mr. Benson. Instead, it "guides" Danae back to Arcivus and ends its turn. When it comes to it looks confused and panicked, as it looks for its pack mates.

That wraps up the combat sequence.

What do you do with the remaining wolves?
    Last edited by DM7581; 2019-01-13 at 12:39 PM.
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

27. - Top - End - #117

"Let's free the other two. They don't know any better."

I autopsy one of the dead ones. I want to know how they do their frost breath.
    Show

-Fort Knox safe

28. - Top - End - #118

If I need to change my command to the wolf I have control over, I will tell the wolf to flee.

"Begone!"

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

If I need to change my command to the wolf I have control over, I will tell the wolf to flee.

"Begone!"
    The wolves flee into the darkness. Dr. Nimm has Mr. Benson carry along one of the wolf bodies for examination later. The conditions in the wild are too uncivilized for the type of work that he would do here, so he thinks it better to save it for the ship (along with his regenerating troll parts).

Are you all good to move on, rest, anything else?
    Show

Arcivus

Dr. Nimm

Xavier

30. - Top - End - #120

The wolves flee into the darkness. Dr. Nimm has Mr. Benson carry along one of the wolf bodies for examination later. The conditions in the wild are too uncivilized for the type of work that he would do here, so he thinks it better to save it for the ship (along with his regenerating troll parts).

Are you all good to move on, rest, anything else?
    Leena, do you spot an area suitable for a short rest?
    Show

-Fort Knox safe