New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: (IC 2) San Francisco by Night: A Requiem in Fog

Karl looks to Anna, "Let us get out of here, I don't fancy being caught by the dawn."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    Karl looks to Anna, "Let us get out of here, I don't fancy being caught by the dawn."
    Anna nodded to Karl, and she hoped Aisling was ok.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

When the goblet was finally passed to Aisling, the Gangrel took it in her single hand and gave the dark, bloody vitae within a tentative sniff before pressing it to her pale lips and drinking deeply.

"Tógfaidh mé fola fiáin na baniaide isteach ormsa agus beidh mé ina soitheach." murmured Aisling softly, falling back to her native tongue as she swallowed the dark, spicy vitae with a toothy grin.

Spoiler: Translation
    Show

I take the wild blood of the mother goddess into me and through it I will become her vessel.
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2019-02-06 at 01:37 AM.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Karl and Anna both raced the dawn (OOC: Either to their own homes or to the the shared haven). By the time they were safely hidden from the sun's rays, the blood was running sluggishly through their veins, and the sleep of eternity weighed heavily upon them.

There would be much to accomplish in the next several days... the fires of war were coming.

Scene

Aisling drinks from the goblet. The blood is still somehow hot in her mouth, as if taken from a still beating heart. No sooner has Aisling swallowed her mouthful of the wild and sweet Vitae, that she begins to hear the tinkling of bells, or is it some far off woman's laughter. A wave of something powerful hits Aisling, causing her to reel back as her vision becomes somehow intensified. The sensation is not unlike the experience of The Embrace, and dying and transforming into a vampire. Colors seem to become more intense, even in the low light of the room, swirling before Aisling's eyes in a kaleidoscope of wicked beauty.

The tinkling laughter becomes louder and louder, till Aisling joins in cackling and giggling... or did the noise always come from Aisling? The world around Aisling is now somehow different, mad and beautiful, as if some secret has been whispered in her ear and now everything is possible. It was like Aisling was communing with some far off parallel dimension, and she now saw the beauty and the bestial in all around her. The other Kindred appeared to her as they truly were, their masks revealing ravenous remorseless undead hunters. The Dark Mother offers power in creation and in destruction!

(OOC: I'm gonna let you respond to this sudden hallucination/experience, and then we will wrap this scene up soon)
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Like windows blown wide from a churning storm, Aisling reveled in the wild power that she felt. She had thought that swiftly darting through the wild places of home with her Sire had been the truest expression of that primordial vitae – but this? This was something entirely…more!

And Aisling wanted to drown in it.

If the Dark Mother offered power in creation and destruction, then Aisling would take that power into herself.

It was only the first step, but the spark of desire for that power had been lit.

And before she was done, Aisling would see it burn bright among the ashes of her enemies.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Breaking Point!

(4d10)[8][3][9][9](29)

I’d agree with the Bestial condition, for sure.

I’ve updated the character sheet with Cruac and the first ritual. She’s going to need to bump Manipulation and Occult up, since those are the two that are used to cast Cruac rituals at some point.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

OOC: Aisling maintains her Humanity, but gains the Bestial condition.

The strange blood was freeing, as if Aisling was suddenly aware of a power and reality that was previously closed to her. Though perhaps Mother Blackstar and Indra were still her enemies, Aisling was aware of the beauty and freedom of every single Kindred in the room. And the word "Kindred" was never more true, and Aisling was joining in a true union with the Circle. And with this union came a freedom in the Beast, a release and even indulgence for the animal urge that gnashed its teeth deep in Aisling's skull.

The meeting with D'Agostino was suddenly far off and unimportant, if it was even remembered. And when Aisling and her Beast were finished and sated the dawn was threatening to come and chase her home before the sun came up.

End Scene
    Show

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Interlude

I lit up from Reno
    I was trailed by twenty hounds
    Didn't get to sleep that night
    Till the morning came around
    I set out running but I'll take my time
    A friend of The Devil is a friend of mine
    If I get home before daylight
    I just might get some sleep tonight

-San Francisco's own Grateful Dead

Where San Francisco's Broadway transitions from a neon cesspool of run down strip clubs to an even more rundown Chinatown stands a famous bookstore known as City Lights. In the fiftees and sixties the store was at the heart of the Beat Poetry movement, but now it was just three stories of overpriced paperbacks and garbage sold to tourists. However, at night a secret basement opened up, and this belonged to the Crone.

It was the night following the Circle's gathering, and Aisling was still coming down off the strange blood she had drunk the night before. The volume of the night had been nearly muted. Aisling had awoken with a fully functional (if not slightly softer) new arm, and a Beast that was snarling with hunger. The ceiling that hung over Aisling and Indra was concrete decorated with a dark green mold. They sat at a long wooden table festooned with books and scrolls and a single computer. Indra seemed anxious to get started on their studies, or maybe she was just frustrated to be there with Aisling. She pushed a book in front of the Gangrel and opened it to the first page. It was a book of Latin American Poetry, and Aisling couldn't see anything particularly occult or even useful about it. "I want you to start by reading these poems. It shouldn't take you more than a night," Indra said with cold defiance, "and after that The Epic of Gilgamesh." She glared at Aisling, as if daring her to complain or protest, before adding, "And maybe in a century you'll be ready to learn some Cruac."

************************************************** *****************************

Afraid that Daniel would still be in her apartment at dawn, Anna had returned to the Sea Cliff haven to slumber and hide from the sun. She had checked her phone almost compulsively for a text or call from him, before allowing the sleep of death to overcome her, but there was nothing. So Anna had bundled up under a wrap of bed sheets after making sure all the blinds were drawn (they would need to work on sun-proofing the Haven). When the torpor took over, Anna was left alone and cold and dead, until the sun again set.

And when the fire in the sky had extinguished, and Anna's vitae returned her consciousness, she found Gabrielle perched at the side of the bed, holding Anna's phone. She looked more alive this evening, washed and put together and dressed in fresh clothing. She had a denim jacket on over a black T-shirt, and dark blue jeans that were shredded and stitched. Gabrielle's lips were painted a dark purple, and grinning at Anna. The lights were on in the well lit apartment, but the blinds were still drawn on every window. She held Anna's cellphone out to reveal a screen filled with text messages and missed calls, all from Daniel. "Someone has been trying to reach you all day my dear," she says playfully, though she hands Anna the phone to look at.

The text messages from Daniel are a collage of panic and apologies and pleas to meet again, peppered with the repeated question of "why won't you respond? Why won't you pick up?"

Gabrielle, still grinning asks playfully, "So what trouble did you get into last night?''

Karl had returned to his private home and office for the day. He had made a long and calculated list of things to accomplish in the nights ahead, and the dawn's sleep came on Karl as he meticulously planned how to tackle his various responsibilities.

But when sunset came, Karl was awoken by a the repeated and thunderous pounding on the door of his sun-proofed room. Gabe's scent was nearby, but there was also another mortal's scent, familiar but out of place in Karl's haven. The pounding was still coming. The door was of course locked, but he wasn't trying to lock.

"Karl, you up yet?" it was Gabe, his voice sounded anxious and maybe a little frustrated. The mortal scent was nearby. There were two heartbeats on the other side of the door, nearby, warm.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl rubs at a kink in his neck as he sits up. It had been bothering him every morning without fail for the past decade or so. One would think that sort of thing would be managed by the vitae, it certainly healed worse.

Not knowing who the second mortal was, he quickly checks himself for any visible signs of something being off before answering the door. "Yeah, yeah, I'm up. Is something the matter?"
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

Anna took the phone and cracked a half smile despite herself as she looked through the various messages. Then at Gabrielle’s prompting her face became serious again. She was about to speak but gave the ghoul a once over, noting her improved appearance.

“The best kind,” Anna said, “you look better. Keep doing well and maybe I’ll introduce you next time.”
    The young kindred shoved off her sheets and stood up, walking to the closet, talking as she changed.
    “A lot is happening,” she said, pulling on a pair of dark pants and redoing her ponytail. She looked at her Kevlar vest for a moment, then handed it to Gabrielle.

“Put that on,” she said.

She tapped out a quick message to Daniel while she spoke: hi! Sorry it took so long to get back to you, but honestly did you forget I sometimes don’t have phone access? Yes, I want to see you too, tonight if you can. I have some exciting news!

“Things are going to get interesting in a few days...” she said as she looked up.
    “Gabrielle, it goes under your clothes,” Anna said, looking up at the ghoul with the vest, “here, let me adjust these straps...”
    She helped Gabrielle put the vest on as she talked.
    “I’m going to buy more. Everyone is going to have them,” Anna said, “but you need it more than I do right now. Have you ever used a gun before?”

She stopped and realized she was probably scaring Gabrielle half to death. She moved over and looked close into the slightly taller girl’s eyes.
    “Everything is going to be fine,” she said, bringing a hand to Gabrielle’s cheek, “I just want to be as prepared as possible.”

She returned to preparing.
    “If you don’t know how to use a gun, you’ll need to take a class, or at the very least go to a shooting range, tonight or tomorrow night, or the following day,” she said, “schedule it first, and whatever night you’re free you’re coming hunting with me. We’re gonna fill you up until you can’t take any more.”
    She paused as she realized the double entendre and looked up to if Gabrielle noticed.

“Is Bernardo here?” she asked, “oh, that reminds me...”
    She tapped out a quick message to Aisling asking for permission to hunt with Bernardo and Gabrielle, to fill them up with vitae. Then she asked the same of Karl with Gabe, or if he was alright to handle it on his own.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-02-10 at 08:57 PM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Gabe's voice coming from the other side of the door is tense and sounds a little frustrated. "You tell me!" he replies. Karl's neck sends one last shock of pain as he reaches and unlocks the door. Gabe crosses his arms across his chest defiantly as the door opens inward, and behind the Ghoul, Karl sees the familiar form of his nephew, Fredrick Rugg.

"I'm sorry to come unannounced," the man says looking down at his shoes, "I mean I did try to contact you today, but I guess you were asleep and all."

Gabe cuts him off, growling, "He called the office as well this morning. I told him not to come." He turns back and shoots Fred a laser of scorn.

"Again, I apologize," Fred says shrugging his shoulders. He looks up for a second, and uncomfortably says, "Some weird things were happening in LA. I felt like I was being followed, so I guess I figured the best thing to do was to come back here." The man's words a just a little slurred, and Karl now gets a whiff of bourbon on the man's distant breath.

“The best kind,” Anna said, “you look better. Keep doing well and maybe I’ll introduce you next time.”
    The young kindred shoved off her sheets and stood up, walking to the closet, talking as she changed.
    “A lot is happening,” she said, pulling on a pair of dark pants and redoing her ponytail. She looked at her Kevlar vest for a moment, then handed it to Gabrielle.

“Put that on,” she said.
    Gabrielle looks at the armored vest with confusion, and when she takes it from Anna it's clear the ghoul has misjudged the weight as it nearly rips her shoulder apart. "Why? Are we going somewhere dangerous?" Gabrielle's voice is equal parts curiosity and complaint.

She tapped out a quick message to Daniel while she spoke: hi! Sorry it took so long to get back to you, but honestly did you forget I sometimes don’t have phone access? Yes, I want to see you too, tonight if you can. I have some exciting news!

“Things are going to get interesting in a few days...” she said as she looked up.
    “Gabrielle, it goes under your clothes,” Anna said, looking up at the ghoul with the vest, “here, let me adjust these straps...”
    She helped Gabrielle put the vest on as she talked.
    “I’m going to buy more. Everyone is going to have them,” Anna said, “but you need it more than I do right now. Have you ever used a gun before?”

She stopped and realized she was probably scaring Gabrielle half to death. She moved over and looked close into the slightly taller girl’s eyes.
    “Everything is going to be fine,” she said, bringing a hand to Gabrielle’s cheek, “I just want to be as prepared as possible.”
    Gabrielle doesn't fight the vampire in donning the kevlar vest. "I mean, I took a marksman ship course for self defense," Gabrielle says, before grabbing a black leather purse and removing a very small pistol to show Anna. (OOC: Gabrielle has a point of firearms on her sheet, otherwise I wouldn't contradict your text.)

whatever night you’re free you’re coming hunting with me. We’re gonna fill you up until you can’t take any more.”
    She paused as she realized the double entendre and looked up to if Gabrielle noticed.
    Gabrielle's eyes instantly light up, and Anna notices the subtle parting of her mouth so that the small pink tongue can lick her lips. "Are we going now?" the Ghoul asks excitedly, placing the gun pack in her purse. In response to Anna's final question, Gabrielle says, "No, Bernardo isn't here, he went out a little bit ago to get us dinner. He should be back in maybe a half hour."
    Show

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

“Great,” Anna said, with a superfluous sigh of relief when Gabrielle said she could use a gun, “though that’s kind of puny, we’ll need something that packs a bit more punch.”

She nodded.
    “Okay, half an hour,” Anna said, “I need to make some phone calls, then we’re going to go shopping and then hunting, and hopefully Aisling gets back to me and says it’s okay for you to feed from me, or maybe she’ll come with us. Either way you two are staying with one of us when you’re not at the haven.”

“Find a Disney world vacation and cruise package for three while we wait for him would you?” she said, “something awesome. And an Alaska cruise for two. And first class plane tickets.”

She sent pulse messages to Karl and Aisling to let them know what she was planning with regards to taking the ghouls hunting, then called Celestine first.

In the back of her mind, she mentally prepared herself for what would be the toughest conversation of the next two days, meeting Daniel and possibly his new girlfriend.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-02-11 at 09:43 AM.
    TC for short

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl sighs, "Its okay Gabe. Actually, I need to speak with you both, so this is convenient timing. Something's happened that you need to know about. Please, lets have a seat and talk."

Once people are settled, he asks Fred, "Just what have you noticed in LA?"

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

When glacial blue eyes had slowly cracked open, bringing her from deep and restless dreams, Aisling felt…different. It was a sense of purpose, of belonging that lit a fire in her veins and sang with something old. Not to say she wasn’t happy with her found family – Karl and Anna – and her Ghouls, but this wasn’t the same thing. Each of them had a place in the city.

Now, so did Aisling.

Despite Indra’s nastiness and generally unpleasant and hate-filled demeanor, the Gangrel devoured whatever information was placed in front of her with the starving abandon of one long hungering.

”What does poetry and old stories have to do with the Dark Mother?” Aisling asked at last, having worked her way through a couple of the poems in the book. Her glacial eyes turned to her mentor curiously. She wasn’t complaining, exactly. But her Beast seemed more active. More alive. Maybe it was her own hunger. Maybe it was memories of the injuries this very same Indra had inflicted upon her. The notion of sitting and reading things that may have been deflecting her attentions was…unsettling.

”A century?” Aisling scoffed, turning her gaze back to the book. ”I am already over two centuries old. What is another?”

Aisling took a moment, and pulled her cellphone out with her new arm – strange though the sensation was – and saw the incoming message from Anna.

She fired off a quick response that it was okay to take Bernardo and Gabrielle out, but to be careful. That much was a given, of course. The Gangrel made mention that she had information to give to the rest of her Coterie, but she would not be back quite yet as she was finishing her business with the Circle of Crone.

Then she sent a quick text to Bernardo and Gabrielle themselves.

It was a simple message. Telling each of them how much she loved them and for them not to worry – she was safe and had done much to ensure they would be protected. Aisling finished the messages to her Ghouls with a promise to spend some time with them when she was done her business with the Circle.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Fred shrugs uncomfortably at Karl's question. "I don't know," he says hesitantly, before his speech becomes rushed and he says, "but for the last day or two I had the strong sense I was being followed. Maybe it was just paranoia, but I swear this one thug followed me up and down Sunset boulevard. I even tried escaping him by going into an old guitar shop, but he followed me in, pretending like he wasn't looking."

Gabe sneers at this outburst, leaning back in the expensive leather office chair.

"I don't know," continues Fred, his tone slowing, "but I started to feel unsafe. I made my husband go out of town for the weekend, and came here."

(OOC: Daishain, please give me a Wits+Empathy roll)

”What does poetry and old stories have to do with the Dark Mother?” Aisling asked at last, having worked her way through a couple of the poems in the book. Her glacial eyes turned to her mentor curiously. She wasn’t complaining, exactly. But her Beast seemed more active. More alive. Maybe it was her own hunger. Maybe it was memories of the injuries this very same Indra had inflicted upon her. The notion of sitting and reading things that may have been deflecting her attentions was…unsettling.
    Indra lets out a mocking laugh and incredulously she says, "I knew you were going to be a problem. Listen, our Covenant gathers lore and power from all cultures. We find the dark truth behind every myth or fairy tale. For you to learn our ways and master Cruac, you will need to have a solid grasp of the various cultures that we draw from." She crosses her arms as if daring Aisling to defy her logic.

”A century?” Aisling scoffed, turning her gaze back to the book. ”I am already over two centuries old. What is another?”
    At this Indra rolls her eyes and scowls. "Perez is a fool to believe he can trust you," she says, "Mother Blackstar only brought you back to help us decipher Gazren's tome, little good that did."
    Show

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

It was several hours later when Anna arrived at El Fina, the famous Italian restaurant that Daniel had agreed to meet her at. Located in the outer Mission, it was an alabaster brick building decorated with palm fronds, and it shone in the city's streetlights and hazy neon.

Walking into the restaurant, Anna was assaulted by 90's pop rock, the din of loud conversation, and oppressively bright fluorescent. A well bodied hostess in a revealing top and with too many tattoos greeted Anna as she entered. But Anna could see that Daniel and his new girlfriend, Ariel, were already seated at a round white table drinking wine. Daniel waved and the girl smiled. Ariel was beautiful. The light of the room clung to her, highlighting her vitality (and mortality), in a way that The Blush of life would never do for a Mekhet. The wine had brought a flush to her tanned cheeks, and her flowing brown curls clung to her long neck and shoulders like some sort of pagan halo.

Daniel stood as Anna approached, visibly uncomfortable. Reaching out a hand to the vampire, he said, "This is my old friend Anna." though he clearly forgot to finish the introduction. Ariel smiled warmly, her lips pulling back to reveal near perfect teeth. The fire from the table candle lit up her large brown eyes.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

Anna had been preparing herself for this for over a day. It was her idea to meet after all. Still, seeing the mortal like this (after glancing around to make sure there were no other Kindred or ghouls present) made her want to rip the girl’s throat out, until she caught sight of the candle. Before she even moved to the table she leaned closer to the tattooed hostess.

“My friends are there, but could we move the candle off the table please?” she asked.

That taken care of, she greeted both of them.

“Hi, you must be Ariel,” Anna said with a beaming smile and arms open for a hug. She had to make this work, if she ever wanted to have long term contact with Daniel.

“So glad to finally meet you. Daniel’s told me so much about you, and I’m so happy for both of you,” she said.

She sat down neatly and spread the napkin over her lap before looking to Ariel again.

“I don’t know what to talk about. Has he told you all my dirty secrets yet?” she asked, completely ignoring Daniel, “or was he being proper?”

So young. So beautiful and vibrant. Anna thought about what she would look like in ten years. Fifteen years. Twenty-five years. While Anna would never age. Would stay young and beautiful forever.

She smiled again.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-02-12 at 09:05 PM.
    TC for short

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl winces, "Almost certainly one of Schultz's men. Schultz is a thug with too much power, too few morals, and a personal grudge against me. He shouldn't be a problem for much longer, but that just means more danger in the short term."

"Okay, Fred? I need you to pay attention. I won't go into the intricacies of kindred politics in detail right now, but as I'm sure you can imagine, it gets rather convoluted and ugly. There's going to be a bit of a... let's call it a turf war, shortly. I uncovered proof that the leader of the local kindred community has committed a grave crime, and other factions are going to use it in a play for control. Most people will never notice something's going on, but blood will be shed in the background."

"I won't be on the front lines of this. Heck, I didn't want to get caught up in something like this at all, but it has happened anyways, and chances are that Schultz is going to try and take a shot at me at some point."

"Unfortunately, and this is where the two of you come in, chances are that even if I succeed in staying out of their reach, they'll try to target those I care about instead. The first time I learned of your existence Fred, Schultz was the one to tell me about you. Moments later, he threatened to have you killed. And that was when he just wanted to convince me to toe a line."

"We should still have two days before things kick off, so we need to discuss, plan, and prepare. Gabe, we need to talk about security. I don't think remaining in the office is wise, nor would it be good for you to stay at home for now. Lets work to secure the new haven instead. Fred, I am inclined to pay for you and your husband to go on vacation somewhere remote until this is settled. Is that what you would prefer?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I forgot to specifically mention it before, but Karl would've been especially thorough in clearing his place for bugs, even if it was not among those they know for sure that schultz is spying on.

Karl wouldn't be gushing all of this out, and instead feel his way through it. If Fred looks like he's going to freak out and bail before his finishes, he'll stop and deal with that.

Also, in regards to the plan to send Fred off, I assume that there are some places in the world in particular where the Prince's and the Sherrif's reach is essentially nil. Belonging to a vampire community that wouldn't do either of them favors regardless of boons offered for instance.

Oh, P.S. reminder, Fred is Karl's grandson. Although claiming they are nephew and uncle is probably a good cover story.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

”That….” Aisling began haltingly, looking back up to Indra from her seat with a small, thoughtful frown. ”Is a good point. I can…appreciate…how gathering lore would make sense to build a foundation. Which cultures do our Covenant primarily take from?” There was a spark of curiosity behind her eyes. Perhaps Aisling was truly interested.

Or perhaps she simply sought to do what was necessary to prove Indra and Blackstar wrong.

Mother Blackstar sought to brute force something that would require a gentler touch. Perhaps some patience. I expected more from the leader of our Covenant.” Aisling retorted. ”Truly, would it not have been better to try a lighter hand? Instead of locking me in a cell and torturing me? Now…now…Blackstar no longer has my book, and I will uncover its secrets. For a Covenant that…by your own implication…seeks out dark secrets and truths…our leader seems to possess a temperament more in line with the brutality of the Lancea.”

Aisling turns back to the book of poetry before her, and flips the page over while beginning to read once again. Her eyes do not return to Indra when she speaks again next.

”I could have been a good friend to yourself and Mother Blackstar. If Gazren taught me one thing in our time in the wilds….it is that sometimes you must entice to get what you want. Not blindly thrash about like a swaddling babe.”

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Anna had been preparing herself for this for over a day. It was her idea to meet after all. Still, seeing the mortal like this (after glancing around to make sure there were no other Kindred or ghouls present) made her want to rip the girl’s throat out, until she caught sight of the candle. Before she even moved to the table she leaned closer to the tattooed hostess.

“My friends are there, but could we move the candle off the table please?” she asked
    The hostess gladly takes the candle away. It was a relatively small table for three people, and hopefully that meant they would be ordering lots of food, thus requiring more table space. But even without the candle, Ariel still seemed to glow in the room. Her beauty and warm vitality was undeniable.

(OOC: On that note, can I assume Anna has activated Blush?)

“Hi, you must be Ariel,” Anna said with a beaming smile and arms open for a hug. She had to make this work, if she ever wanted to have long term contact with Daniel.

“So glad to finally meet you. Daniel’s told me so much about you, and I’m so happy for both of you,” she said.
    Ariel reciprocates the hug, her wide smile again exposing pearly white perfect teeth. "Awww, it's so good to meet you too", she says in a lilting saccharine voice before again sitting down. She wraps her fingers into Daniels, which causes the now sweating man to twitch uncomfortably. Perspiration was gathering both at his hairline and in little beats above his upper lip, but he gave the girl a firm squeeze.

“I don’t know what to talk about. Has he told you all my dirty secrets yet?” she asked, completely ignoring Daniel, “or was he being proper?”
    The statement practically causes Daniel to convulse in his chair. Ariel gives him a scolding look before coolly turning back to Anna and saying, "Oh, I mean I've heard a lot. It's so tragic what happened between the two of you." She gives Anna a warm and pitying look, though perhaps there was a backhanded jab behind the words. "But, I'm so lucky to have Daniel now. He is just the smartest, most caring man I know." She smiles warmly at Anna, as her free hand moves to caress his upper arm.

Fred listens quietly, nodding his head slowly as Karl pontificates. It is clear that much of what is being said is overwhelming for the poor mortal, though he does his best to follow. His eyes are just a little glazed, and it's clear the man has at least a gentle buzz helping him through the conversation.

Gabe, we need to talk about security. I don't think remaining in the office is wise, nor would it be good for you to stay at home for now. Lets work to secure the new haven instead.
    Gabe nods his head in agreement. An empty grin spreads across the Ghoul's lips and he says, "I've been looking forward to seeing your new digs anyways." He then nods his head in Fred's direction and says, "But don't you think it was a bit of a security risk for him returning here. Him coming here again puts him and you at greater risk." There is something bitter and vicious behind Gabe's words, though Fred seems unaware if it.

Fred, I am inclined to pay for you and your husband to go on vacation somewhere remote until this is settled. Is that what you would prefer?
    "That would be fine," Fredrick says, nodding his head apparently completely at peace with the idea, "as long as you can promise we will be safe. Do you have somewhere we can go?"

Spoiler: OOC Reply
    Show
    Also, in regards to the plan to send Fred off, I assume that there are some places in the world in particular where the Prince's and the Sherrif's reach is essentially nil. Belonging to a vampire community that wouldn't do either of them favors regardless of boons offered for instance.
    There are likely Kindred wherever Karl sends his grandson. That said, it would be hard for Karl to determine how far The Sheriff's reach extends. Perhaps Karl has some allies or contacts of his own, or can make use of his Invictus resources to help guarantee the man's safety on their trip??? Otherwise, perhaps this is something Karl should offer a boon to an Invictus for? Not saying you have to, just some ideas.

Defiantly, Indra says, "Mother Blackstar is a great leader! How dare you challenge her authority or decisions!" The woman's lips curl back to expose long fangs, her eyes dark and filled with a dark hunger. She rises from her chair and Aisling can feel the bestial challenge welling up in the vampire, and it stirs something equally monstrous and out of control within the Gangrel.

(OOC: Don't forget Aisling has both the Bestial and Competitive conditions applied to her. Not that it would be smart, but definitely something you could consider ;)
    Show

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

Spoiler
    Show
    yes, blush of life active, for sure. Not going to look like death in front of the competition.

"Oh caring for sure, smartest, ehhh," she said jokingly, "he can get himself into some ridiculous situations. There was this one time..."
    Anna continued telling a story about how Daniel misjudged a situation and completely embarrassed himself, and then moving on to several others.

"So there he is, flour all over his hair, the floor, the plants, everywhere, and his parents and damn president of the university walk in, his mom takes one look at him, and says without batting an eyelash 'I asked you to buy FLOWERS!'" Anna finished.

After the laughter died down, Anna got a bit more serious.

"I'm sure you'll hear all the stories eventually, his mom is great, I love her to death," Anna said.
    She let the smile fade from her lips.
    "That's one of the reasons we broke up actually," she continued, "we're Chinese you know, and his mom really wants grandkids-"
    She seemed to catch herself.

"Not that I'm suggesting anything for you guys yet, really pretty much every mom in Hong Kong is like that," she said with a nervous laugh, "but I um.."

"I mean I know she would have accepted me, that's just how she is, but deep down I know she'd... because I can't, um," Anna said, starting to stutter a bit. She called up the bitterness she'd felt when she realized Daniel had followed her to San Francisco, but only just after she'd been Embraced. The emotional impact of the understanding her option to bear her own children was gone forever. Her option of having a life with him was gone forever. And it was her own fault. She let the emotion wash over her face.
    "She really wants grandchildren, and I can't-," she said, as if unable to finish the sentence. She slipped a hand to her stomach.
    "I didn't want to do that to her," she said.

She let the pity last for just a few seconds before snapping out of it.

"But like I said, ancient history, plus it's not like I could have any kind of actual relationship these days anyway, what with my job that I love completely," she said with a grin, "some of the people are real oddballs,"

murdering monsters

"the hours are ridiculous,"

I can never see the sun again

"but the perks are great."

Eternal youth

"So, to show how completely happy I am for the both of you, I pulled a string or two," she said with a small smile.

"Seven day six night Alaskan cruise, and first class round trip tickets for two," she said, "I really wish the best for both of you, and I hope we can be friends for years and years."
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-02-13 at 09:50 AM.
    TC for short

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Daniel fidgets through Anna's story, looking like he is trying very hard to hold his flu infested bowels while waiting for an occupied lavatory. Ariel seems not to notice and gives a hearty musical laugh at the end of the story, that could very well not be forced. She adds, "That's hilarious," as she squeezes Daniel's hand.

She listens with stark concern as Anna talks about her problems, nodding her head sympathetically and adding, "You poor dear." Daniel's eyes narrow with confusion as Anna talks, not sure what to make of this revelation.

So, to show how completely happy I am for the both of you, I pulled a string or two," she said with a small smile.

"Seven day six night Alaskan cruise, and first class round trip tickets for two," she said, "I really wish the best for both of you, and I hope we can be friends for years and years."
    The statement draws shock and concern across Ariel's face. She turns her attention to Daniel as if to say, 'what the hell'. Daniel has nearly stood up in his chair at this, his face now drained of all color. He stammers the word "what" a few times, before finally managing, "Anna, why did you do that? There's no need. I mean, that's very kind of you. We appreciate your kindness, but... I mean, what?" He has released Ariel's hand now, and appears to be somewhere between anger and rigor mortis. Suddenly regaining a modicum of control, Daniel says with a measured voice, "Anna, could we talk outside, maybe just for a moment?"
    Show

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

“You don’t like the gift?” Anna asked as she followed Daniel out of the restaurant.

As soon as they were outside and the door closed, her demeanor changed completely.

“Daniel, you need to convince her to go,” she said, glancing around to see if they were being observed, “you can guess the kind of stuff I’m mixed up in and things are going to get pretty bad around here in a day or two, and I still care about you, a lot. I don’t think anyone knows who you are, but if they do, they might come for you to get to me.”

She paused, looking up into his eyes, pleading with hers.

“I can tell you care about her, a lot,” she said quietly, “I wish it could be me, but it can’t, I can’t have a normal life anymore. Go be with her, you can always talk to me whenever you want.”

“This way everyone can be happy,” she said.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-02-14 at 09:45 AM.
    TC for short

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl frowns, wondering how much was actually getting through to Fred in his state.

In response to Gabe, Karl narrows his eyes and states, "Yes, it was a risk that should have been avoided. But he's even less prepared for this world than you were. You were trained to think about security protocol and had seen plenty of the ugly side of this existence. In spite of the difference, I don't recall you handling it perfectly either. We'll teach him to do better, and deal with whatever issues crop up."

Turning back to Fred he says, "We'll need to work out the details, but I'm thinking Europe. Perhaps the United Kingdom? Do you and your spouse have active passports?"
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-02-14 at 09:11 PM.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Daniel sits on Anna's words for a second, but they only seem to boil his anger. "What the Hell Anna. You can't.... damn it, it's just not fair." His face is flushed, seeming to almost glow in the otherwise grey city fog. "I mean, first last night... and now this," Daniel's voice softens a little, but his eyes are still wild and all whites. He runs his hand through his hair.

Anna can see the arteries bulging in his neck and the way they pulse, can smell his warm humanness, piquing her hunger for him again, even in his confusion and frustration (or maybe because of it).

Daniel crosses his arms defiantly over his chest and asks, "What have you gotten yourself into this time?"

Fred nods his head and says, "Ya. We try to do an international trip every year. We were in London a few years ago, maybe three." A sudden concern spreads across the man's face again and he says urgently, "You don't think they can follow us there, do you?" He looks from Karl to Gabe, then back to Karl, clearly hoping to find some promise of comfort and safety.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Anna

Anna sat down on a low rock near one of the palm fronds.

"I really shouldn't tell you but... think of it as like a gang war," Anna said, "shootings, kidnappings, maybe a bombing or three. Or maybe nothing."

She sighed.

"I know it's not fair," she said, looking up at the clouds reflecting the glow of the city, "I'm pretty sure I got the worse end of the deal though. I gave up searching for my parents' killers when I was finally getting close, and abandoned my entire life, because... because they told me if I didn't feed them info from inside the police force, they were going to hurt you, or kill you. I never told you that, but I never would have broken up with you if it wasn't to save your life."

She looked at Daniel.
    "I couldn't let that happen, and I couldn't help any of the Triads," she said, "so I left. And I got into something else in America."
    She hugged herself.
    "I didn't know you were going to follow me," she whispered, "but I dealt with your anger and your hurt because I deserved it, and because at least you were still alive. This kind of career, I can't have close relationships, and I can't leave. My mentor thinks I should cut off all contact with you, that it'll be better in the long run, but I can't, I just can't do that. I don't _want_ to do that."

She checked to make sure Ariel wasn't watching or listening.

"I thought maybe, you know, we could be just friends, and I tried so hard. But then last night I just.. I couldn't help myself, and I really loved it, and-"
    She closed her eyes.
    "I want to do it again," she whispered.

She swallowed unnecessarily.
    "You know that back home practically every guy who is anyone has someone on the side," Anna said, "I don't mind being your mistress."
    She took a shuddering breath.
    "And if you don't want to, that's okay too, I promise we can just be friends," she said, "but you have to take the trip. I'm getting my uncle and his family out too."
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-02-15 at 10:20 AM.
    TC for short

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"I know it's not fair," she said, looking up at the clouds reflecting the glow of the city, "I'm pretty sure I got the worse end of the deal though. I gave up searching for my parents' killers when I was finally getting close, and abandoned my entire life, because... because they told me if I didn't feed them info from inside the police force, they were going to hurt you, or kill you. I never told you that, but I never would have broken up with you if it wasn't to save your life."

She looked at Daniel.
    "I couldn't let that happen, and I couldn't help any of the Triads," she said, "so I left. And I got into something else in America."
    She hugged herself.
    "I didn't know you were going to follow me," she whispered, "but I dealt with your anger and your hurt because I deserved it, and because at least you were still alive. This kind of career, I can't have close relationships, and I can't leave. My mentor thinks I should cut off all contact with you, that it'll be better in the long run, but I can't, I just can't do that. I don't _want_ to do that."
    Daniel listens quietly as Anna talks, not moving to interrupt. His eyes darken as she describes everything in the past, the color draining slightly from his face. The poor man has an almost tragic expression of being lost... the same face he wore when Anna had left him the first time.

However, Daniel's brow rises slightly when Anna mentions 'her mentor' and a sudden look of envy passes his countenance.

"I thought maybe, you know, we could be just friends, and I tried so hard. But then last night I just.. I couldn't help myself, and I really loved it, and-"
    She closed her eyes.
    "I want to do it again," she whispered.

She swallowed unnecessarily.
    "You know that back home practically every guy who is anyone has someone on the side," Anna said, "I don't mind being your mistress."
    She took a shuddering breath.
    "And if you don't want to, that's okay too, I promise we can just be friends," she said, "but you have to take the trip. I'm getting my uncle and his family out too."
    Anna's words, and her sudden proximity seem to bring a convulsive agony to the poor mortal. Daniel was literally shuddering, and Anna could feel his increased body temperature, could hear his increased heartbeat, could practically taste his blood on her tongue again... if she only reached out to take it.

(OOC: Please give me Seduction; Manipulation + Persuasion +1 + Majesty if you've got it)
    Show

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    Fred nods his head and says, "Ya. We try to do an international trip every year. We were in London a few years ago, maybe three." A sudden concern spreads across the man's face again and he says urgently, "You don't think they can follow us there, do you?" He looks from Karl to Gabe, then back to Karl, clearly hoping to find some promise of comfort and safety.
    Karl shakes his head, "They should have no influence there, and I'll be taking steps to minimize the risk that you'll be followed. Further, they'll have plenty to focus on shortly other than keeping track of you."

"If all goes well, it won't be long until it is over."

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Daniel's trembling subsides, his face softening, his eyes softening. For an instant he reaches out, as if to embrace Anna, but stifles the impulse. Defeated, the man says, "It's not fair. I can't help but love you Anna. I don't think I ever got over you... and now I don't know if I ever will." Daniel hangs his head low, his eyes watering and locked on his shoes. "But I can't give up everything with Ariel either. I don't know what to do. I'm sorry." He is rambling now, his words falling faster and faster over each other, "And it's not fair that after what happened last night you are pushing me away. Pushing me out of this city."

Daniel looks up from the ground, his face flushed with blood, raw pain and love tearing lines into his face. He is so delicate, so utterly human, and so appetizing. Finally giving in, Daniel reaches a hand out and locks his fingers into Anna's, quickly asking, "What do you want of me? What do you want me to do?" His big brown eyes are wide and lost, seeming to hunt for purchase on Anna's face. His hand is warm in the San Francisco night, a warmth only imitated by a trick of Anna’s preternatural blood.

Fred nods his head, seeming to find some small comfort in this. He says, "If you can get me and my husband safely there, I will convince him to come. I trust your Karl; I don't know if I should, but I do." The conversation seems to have sobered the man, and he offers a hand to shake. Once reciprocated, he pulls Karl into a tight embrace; the embrace of family, or perhaps of lovers.

But he released Karl quickly and mutters, "Christ you're cold. I mean, my apologies, I just didn't expect that." He stumbles over his words, managing to add, "Though I guess it makes sense." Once the sudden shock passes, he thanks Karl again and asks, "Is there anything else I should know, or something I can do?"
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2019-02-16 at 10:27 AM.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Trying to interject a bit of humor into the situation, Karl gives a faint smile and says, "warn me next time, and I'll take a hot bath first."

"In any case, if there is something you can think of, I won't turn down help. But for now, I just want you to stay safe. I have spent most of my existence on this planet believing that the last scrap of real good I'd had in this world was gone. Now that I've found you, I don't think I could bear losing you Enkel."

"I want to be a part of your life, in some small way, if you would have me. When this is over, it should be safe to have regular contact. Perhaps you could tell others we are uncle and nephew? That would likely be believable."

"But uh, is there anything you want to know? About me, or kindred in general, or heck just being a private detective."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-02-16 at 07:18 PM.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

“You don’t have to give up anything,” Anna replied.

“Take the tickets, go have a great time with Ariel,” she said, “I’ll still be here when you get back. Hopefully this will be the last time something like this happens but honestly if you get a week long cruise out of it it’s not such a bad deal right?”
    She smiled weakly.

“And if I can be friends with her, or at least on friendly terms, then we’ll still be able to see each other from time to time,” Anna said.

“I want you to be happy with someone, and get married and have kids and watch them grow up,” Anna said, “I’m so sorry I messed everything up so badly but you should know I’ll always be here for you.”
    TC for short