New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: (IC 2) San Francisco by Night: A Requiem in Fog

There was a tense moment where Aisling simply stared at Gabrielle. In shock, frustration and a good deal of anger. Muscles were tight and tense and teeth gritted to bite back a retort that would likely do more damage and escalate the situation.

Oh, how she wanted to tear into the stupid human for daring to try and block her from her ghoul. No….she wasn’t really her ghoul. Aisling hadn’t fed her enough to force the blood bond, and it was clear that Gabrielle’s loyalties were still with Estella, despite the Daeva’s final death.

So Aisling stared at Gabrielle, hard, and struggled to build up her walls to close off the raging torrent of emotion she felt churning inside her.

If this is how she wanted to do it, then fine!

”You look ridiculous!” Aisling snapped at the blonde mortal that Gabrielle had in her sway. ”And if you value your bits, I would suggest you watch your tone with me.”

Finally, turning to the Ghoul, Aisling sighed heavily, shoulders sagging as if the fight suddenly went out of her.

”Fine, Gabrielle. Have it your way. Enjoy your….admirer’s while you can. It will not last forever.” She said wearily. The implication was strong – that the Vitae she had been using would eventually burn itself out and she wouldn’t have these nifty tricks to fall back on. ”If this is your choice, then so be it.”

With that said, the Gangrel turned to make her way out of the club and back to Bernardo.

This was not going how she had hoped.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Gabrielle seems deaf to Aisling's words, as she becomes swallowed up in her throng of warm bodies, and the jackhammer base begins to pound again.

The girl can feel hundreds of mortal eyes on her as she leaves the dance floor. As Aisling walks out the door, the bouncer gives a quick double take and calls out, "HEY! How did you..." but Aisling is already halfway down the cue on legs powered by fury. The Gangrel's vision is red hot, nails digging deep into the flesh of her palms instinctively.

Bernardo's face goes pale when he sees her, and he clumsily mumbles, "Is everything okay?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So honestly, it seems like the club scene may have been a good point for a Frenzy check, but you kinda played past that (which is totally fine). However I think Aisling gaining the Bestial condition makes sense given how pissed she is, and her Gangrel nature. Sound fair?
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl smiles without a hint of humor. "Then as I suspected, you are not the one I need to be talking to. Who is on night dispatch and how do I get in touch with them? And before you mention coming back during daylight hours. The person who actually handled the incident will have gone home by then, the odds of someone else figuring out what I need to know are fairly poor."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-10-18 at 08:40 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Annoyance spilling over to outright anger, the guard pushes his kindle onto the desk and stands up. "Sir," he says the word sternly as if it were an accusation, "Ambulance dispatch is managed by an organization not affiliated with the hospital. And I don't think there's much more I can do for you. And I think it is time for you to leave." He points to the door through which Karl had entered, blood shot eyes glaring darkly.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Sorry, not trying to make this difficult for you, just playing it realistically. That said, Karl probably wants to check out the ED, and he does have Obfuscate, right?
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Ignoring the bouncer – just another stupid, wretched brute – Aisling made a beeline for Bernardo, seething frustration burning heavy in her chest. It felt like she was suffocating – if such a thing could even happen to a vampire.

”No.” Aisling said, mannerisms tense and erratic and expression torn somewhere between rage and grief. It was as if she couldn’t decide what emotion to feel and it was all far too overwhelming.

”Gabrielle has decided she does not need us. Me. Anymore.”

Show

Absolutely fair.

I was thinking it’d be an appropriate time for Frenzy checks as well. I tried to play to that extent, but next time I can toss a roll in if I think it’s appropriate if you’d like.

I’ll mark it on her character sheet and stat box. It’s an…interesting condition to have. Going to make dealing with her a bit touchier in the immediate future.

Spoiler: Stat Block
    Show

Humanity: 5
    Willpower: 4/6
    Health 7
    Blood Pool: 7/10
    Beats/EXP: 2/1
    Tilts/Conditions: Bestial

Spoiler: Aspirations:
    Show

1. Become known to the Kindred so she is safe from predation.
    2a. Reveal the truth behind her past insofar as how it relates to her Sire, the book and Mother Blackstar's interest.
    2b. Learn all the secrets from the Book of Gazren.
    3a. Destroy Mother Blackstar and take what is hers so it can never hurt Aisling again.
    3b. Investigate the attackers to find out who was truly responsible and why.
    3c. Discover the secrets of Cruac.

Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-10-19 at 12:25 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Bernardo takes a step towards Aisling, one eyebrow raised. "Really?" he says with true surprise in his voice, "Are you sure about that?" Suddenly Bernardo is studying Aisling with his eyes, trying to read through her. He adds, "Did she say why?"
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl simply turns and walks out, but can't help saying as he goes, "Typical, people always stick to doing just the lazy part of their jobs when there's something unusual."

Irritated now, the old man looks for a way back in, some activity he could blend into as he infiltrated the place.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The security officer looks like he is about to burst with some snide remark for just a moment, but he clearly stifles the impulse.

As Karl steps outside the building, his gaze falls on the well lit ambulance drop off. Relative to the rest of the property, there was some activity, with EMT's busily folding up a stretcher to load into the back of large white ambulance. There were also sliding glass doors here, but these seemed to be electronically locked in the open position, and even from about 50 yards away, Karl could here human commotion coming from inside the Emergency Department.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Slipping into the grey areas on the edge of human perception, Karl smoothly walks up to the ER entrance and inside. He won't be able to question anyone this way, but if he follows the activity, he might get lucky.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The Emergency room is relatively quiet, except for the occasional beep of some monitoring machine or stopped IV. Unlike in a more modern hospital, San Francisco General's ED is really just a t-section of hallways with patient rooms created by dividing the hallways with curtains. Circular nursing stations are set up in the center of these curtained off hallways, where nurses in dark maroon colored scrubs sit chatting or working at computers. Occasionally a nurse will stand up and move quickly towards a patient room, sometimes responding to the calls of a distressed patient

No one seems to pay any attention to Karl as he makes his way into the Emergency room. In the center of the t-shaped ED is a square of computer monitors, each one listing patient beds by number and initials, showing vitals and the nurse responsible for the patient.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    Bernardo takes a step towards Aisling, one eyebrow raised. "Really?" he says with true surprise in his voice, "Are you sure about that?" Suddenly Bernardo is studying Aisling with his eyes, trying to read through her. He adds, "Did she say why?"
    "Yes!" Aisling snaps, a flush of that old frustration rising like bile in the back of her throat. "She said we didn't care about Estella. There is a whole throng of mortals that Gabrielle has enthralled using the blood gifts that come with the vitae." Aisling whispered, leaning in towards Bernardo's ear to speak so no one could hear. The Gangrel grabbed his arm above the elbow and pulled Bernardo away from the club and down the street.

"I'm afraid of what could happen to you or Gabrielle if the wrong person took an interest in you. I want to keep you all safe. But she makes it so hard."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Bernardo nods his head deep with understanding. He waits till Aisling has finished and then gently says, "Well how much have we tried to find out what happened to Estella?" He lets the question sit there for a moment before continuing, "I know that if you disappeared I would try to spend all my waking hours trying to find you... and we haven't really done that with Estella." The look Bernardo flashes is filled with anxiety and concern.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl grimaced. Of course the information he needed would not just be on display. He could likely find it amongst all these papers here, but that would almost certainly take a great deal of time while rubbing elbows with these busy nurses. Especially since he did not know the system. Obfuscation has its limits. Best to just check the beds.

Karl moves on down the rows, taking a quick glance in each space for anyone that appears to fit the victim he saw earlier.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Though the sun was not yet up, Karl could feel it's rising presence as if the air in the ED was some how becoming slowly thicker and warmer; a tropical humidity. He knew he had limited time to conduct his search of the ED, but even moving with haste, it took a little over a half hour of moving up and down the ER halls to find his man. Attached to several long IVs running saline and blood, the man lay battered on a soiled hospital gurney. His face was bloated and bruised, and a face mask had been placed over his split lips to run humidified high flow oxygen. A thick tube had been inserted into the right side of the man's chest and was draining a bloody orange fluid into a collecting bag. The victim's scent reminded Karl more of a slaughtered cow than that of a human, but the visceral display still piqued the vampire's hunger.

A quick read of the man's hospital wristband read Carlos Medina, age 17, followed by a medical record number that was unimportant to Karl. Fortunately, none of the nurses seemed to mind Karl's presence looming over the man like an avatar of death, but the Mekhet knew that he could not stay long, for the sun's rise would surely chase him home.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl checks the man's, no, the boy's chart. He tries to get a sense of how likely it is the boy will live through this ordeal.

If it seems more promising than that first glance suggests, he will make notes on the boys identity and depart.

If on the other hand, the boy's death seems to be certain, Karl will look for a syringe. Drawing a little bit of vitae, he would inject it into the IV port. He will try to use just enough to help heal the worst of it without making the boy's recovery seem miraculous or have other effects that are difficult to explain away

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Karl looks around for a paper chart but finds none. However, the digital monitor above the boy's bed shows his blood pressure, heart rate, respiratory rate and oxygen saturations. Karl was no medic, but as far as he could tell the kid was relatively stable. Pressure could be a little higher, and heart rate a little slower, but nothing screamed that the kid was eminently dying.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Nodding to himself, Karl takes notes on the boy's identity and slips back out of the hospital, racing for his home ahead of the dawn. Before shutting down for the day, he'll add Carlos to the list of things for Gabe to take a look at during his shift.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Bernardo's words seemed to have something of a calming effect on Aisling, and she ended up offering the ghoul a soft smile. But her eyes were still flickering dangerously - the Beast hiding in plain sight behind them.

"You are sweet." Aisling says. "But you are also correct. I had thought that we would need to get answers regarding it, but I do not even know where to start asking questions. I do not want to bring threats against us so early."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Bernardo nods his head. "I don't either," he says somberly, "but I don't think that is why Gabrielle is upset." Shrugging, Bernardo looks back at the club and the line filled with impatient would-be patrons. "Let's just go home," he says uncomfortably. Bernardo slips his warm live hand into Aisling's cold dead one and gives it a tender squeeze.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Act 2 Scene v

“Loneliness will sit over our roofs with brooding wings.”
    ― Bram Stoker, Dracula

Katie sat across from Anna in a plastic boot at the Honey Tiger, a bubble tea and donut shop on the boarder of China Town and Broadway. This late the shop was fairly quiet, and the two did not have to worry about eavesdroppers. Katie was not as heavily made up as the night before, though her cheeks were flushed as she quietly sipped at her "Thai Iced Bubble Tea". The drink was a radioactive orange, with big black beads of tapioca settled heavily at the bottom. "Uh, I'm sorry if I was a little... much last night" Katie says uncomfortably, eyes down on the table.

Anna could see the humility and sincerity in her cousin's face.

Show
    Please confirm whether or not Anna is using blush of life, and if she has purchased anything to "eat/drink". One vitae has been spent for waking, Anna is now at 9.

Gabe yawns lazily, slumped in his giant black leather business chair. He sits across Karl in their "meeting room", with several manila folders stacked up in front of him. "You sure are piling a lot of work up for me" he says trying to sound nonchalant, though Karl can hear the desperation in the Ghouls head.

It had only been a few days, maybe a week since Karl had last fed Gabe, but the Mekhet could already hear the anxious hunger in the man's voice, see it in the ghoul's dark twitchy eyes. "But I got some good information for you. I think I have a little more on Spooky, which you might find interesting... he's not as clandestine as he first appears." Gabe grins awkwardly, probing Karl for a complimentary response. The ghoul was so pathetically see through. He pushes a folder towards Karl, but keeps the palm of his hand pressed on the paper. Leaning forward, Gabe hastily adds, "But is there any chance I could... get some more first?"

Show
    Karl spends one vitae to wake and is now down to 7.

The fury was still upon Aisling when she woke. The red anger of the Beast was heavily colored by the aching hunger in Aisling's gut. She had not fed enough recently, spent too much vitae. Her chest ached, her head ached, every artery extending all the way to her finger tips ached like each one was pulled towards snapping. The rage pulled Aisling from her roiling dreams nearly instantly. The smell of food was close.

Bernardo was sitting at Aisling's side, seeming to observe her. Perhaps it was Aisling's hunger, but there was worry behind the man's eyes. No, the look was real. Aisling could smell the man's sweat, it was ripe with fear, and it stoked Aisling's hunger and her need for violence. "Good morning" Bernardo says in a in a rushed voice, "Uh, how are you feeling?" Maybe he can see the Beast behind Aisling's eyes, or maybe he is hiding something!

Show
    Aisling spends one Vitae to wake and is now at 5. I am playing up her hunger a bit and mixing it with her condition
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2018-10-24 at 09:05 AM.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

Spoiler
    Show
    yes, anna will use blush of life to hang out with her cousin, down to 8

"Ugh, it's fine," Anna replied, "I've definitely been there too."

She smiled, then sighed.

"Listen, I didn't just ask you out to go shopping," she said, growing serious, "unlike your mom who, like most moms, still sees you as a seven year old kid, I know you're a big girl and you're responsible for your own decisions, but that doesn't mean I can't help you out, make sure you have all the facts. Jay seems to like you, but you know your parents would never approve. I want you to know whatever you decide, I'm on your side, okay?"

She nodded reassuringly before dropping the evidence.

"I didn't facebook stalk your boyfriend," Anna continued, "I did a background check. He's involved with MS-13. They're a pretty large gang, spanning all the way from here to Mexico. Seems your boyfriend is a low level member, mostly involved in petty stuff so far, but he was recently involved in a shootout with the police."

Anna swiped through documents on her phone, showing her cousin what she'd found.

Spoiler
    Show
    facts about Jay based on what I (player) can remember. Anna will be certain to only state the facts she got from Karl and from her police contact.

Anna watched Katie's reaction to this news carefully, to see if she was surprised.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

When Anna first mentions MS13, Katie looks at her dumbly, possibly not comprehending what "MS13" is. As Anna continues on, her face screws up with a mix of confusion and anger. Her cheeks redden and her eyes become glassy as if threatening tears. "Wait, what?" Katie says loudly, grabbing the phone away from her cousin. She begins swiftly flipping between the photos of papers with fine type and the images printed by Karl's ghoul. Not looking up, she says, "You did a background check? I don't understand. What were you trying to prove? Jay is a nice guy!"

There was now a slight tremble to the girl's hands.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl sighs, "You're weeks early, and besides I seem to recall having given you extra the last time in case it was needful. Perhaps I should not have done that if this is the response."

"Remember when we started this? We both agreed that you would get what you needed and when you needed it. Not more, and not before. We both wanted it that way, because anything else was a sure path to letting the addiction rule your mind. Remember?"

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The ghoul crosses his arms across his chest, and under his breath growls, "It's not like you couldn't get more." He huffs, then sits back upright, and pushes the file across to Karl. The file is marked "SPOOKY" in big childish green marker.

The file contains a number of bank statements indicating a massive amount of money being siphoned through various accounts owned by Spooky. Obviously, the money is far more than the man could make through just his bar. The file also contains information on a contact of Spooky's, a man named Andre Chilton. The only significant information on Chilton was that he was likely involved in dealing designer amphetamines to well to do tech heads in San Francisco.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Anna

“Kate, it’s okay,” Anna said, “you can keep dating him if you want. Like I said, I think he likes you, but I want you to go in with your eyes open. And, you don’t have to decide now.”

She gently took her phone back.

“Don’t take it personally, I’d do a background check on anyone getting close to me who had the word ‘fight’ tattooed on their face,” she added.

“So we’re going to take some precautions,” she said, “this is a burner phone.”
    She put the slim phone down on the table.

“Carry it with you all the time, hidden, in your sock maybe,” she said, “if you get in trouble and you lose your phone, you can call me, or the cops.”

“Remember, I’m on your side,” she said.

“Do you still want that Kate Spade?” she asked as if nothing was out of the ordinary.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-10-24 at 07:00 PM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Rolling over, Aisling groaned as she felt the burning hunger sitting in her stomach like hot lead. The Gangrel pushed herself up on her elbows, following the scent of blood with her nose until she was pressed against Bernardo.

"I'm hungry." Aisling says in a voice muffled by the ghouls side, "I need to feed soon."

Suddenly, Aisling stilled as she scented the bitter tang of Bernardo's fear.

"What is wrong? You are afraid of something. Is...is it me?"

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"You know that being able to get more isn't the point Gabe. Now, how do you think this Chilton fellow relates to this mess?"

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Katie rises from her seat, face growing more red by the moment. "This is so ****ed up" she scowls. Then attending to her cousin, Katie says "This is America Anna," and with this she waves one hand overhead as if indicating the bubble tea operation, "you can't just... you don't just go snooping on other people like that!" But the girl does not step away from the table. Still standing, stooped over the table, Katie says softly, "I mean, I know everything that happened to you in China. And I appreciate that you are just trying to protect me Anna, trust me I do, but... I don't appreciate this."

She looks long and hard at Anna, waiting to see how her cousin reacts.

************************************************** *************************

"Oh, it's nothing," Bernardo blubbers, "I'm not...afraid." The ghoul peers over his shoulder anxiously. The motion suddenly helps Aisling become aware of the scent of another mortal in the room. It's Gabrielle, she is here in the attic somewhere; Aisling can hear her heartbeat as well as smell her warm sweet blood.

Perhaps unaware of his companion's realization, Bernardo says, "Uh, Gabrielle came back this morning. She's looked pretty out of it when she came home; was barely standing. She's still asleep." Bernardo steps aside and Aisling can see the insolent ghoul collapsed in the corner. The girl is still clad in the same clothes from the night before, and they reek of sweat and the odors of various other kine. Sleeping soundly, Gabrielle's chest moves in rather shallow raspy breaths, her heart rate a little faster than normal.

************************************************** ***************************

Eyes narrowing for just a moment's defiance, Gabe sighs and says, "My guess is that he's selling Spooky's supply. MS13 is into all kinds of drug running. The only thing that doesn't really fit is that amphetamines aren't really their thing. Mostly the gang is involved in running cocaine and heroine past the border; that and child prostitutes and illegal arms." Gabe pauses for a moment, and now the Ghoul is talking like his old self. There is that shine of clever reasoning sparkling in the man's eyes. "But I don't think Spooky is like most of the gang members. He isn't muscle, and he's smart. So maybe this is a side deal or something. Just a guess though."
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

Anna’s face fell slightly at the mention of her past.

“Hong Kong. And you _don’t_ know,” Anna said softly, her eyes growing glassy with tears. She blinked them away quickly.

“Katherine, I was nineteen, in school,” she said, looking up, “same as you are now. I’m sorry I made you upset, but I hoped you’d rather know than not. What if the first time you found out is when you got arrested, or worse, caught a bullet?”

She sighed.
    “I didn’t tell your mom and dad, because it’s your life.”

“You have to decide what to do now,” she said, “call it fake news and ignore it, break it off, understand the risks to yourself and your parents and keep going anyway. Whatever you do I’ll support you.”

“Take the phone, think about it, I mean really think about it,” she said, “and if you need help, or you want to ask advice, or just want to go shopping, you now have two ways to get in touch.”
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-10-25 at 10:39 PM.
    TC for short

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Gabrielle is back?

How foolish did she have to be to spurn Aisling and then have the audacity to return to the haven?

The Gangrel pushed down a bubbling growl that hung low in her throat as she smelled the Ghoul’s presence. Her irritation and hunger were blending together, and Aisling found her mind frustratingly hazy.

”Did…she say anything to you?” Aisling asked, trying to keep the snarl from her voice. Aisling slowly disentangled herself from Bernardo, and crawled across the room towards Gabrielle. The Gangrel leaned in, sniffing at Gabrielle closely, trying to pick out any scents that may indicate something tainting her blood.

Aisling did not want to get second-hand exposure to whatever the Ghoul was on if…when she fed.