Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122
Results 631 to 645 of 645
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freefall 3: Death Ray Byproducts

    I missed this by a few days, but Thurdad and Sam didn't sing karaoke, they sang a capella which isn't the same thing.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  2. - Top - End - #632
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Yuki Akuma's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Land of Angles

    Default Re: Freefall 3: Death Ray Byproducts

    Quote Originally Posted by TaRix View Post
    Sure, it's nice to have a spare, but why does the crew want another reactor, again?
    It's a legal requirement. They aren't allowed to leave orbit without two reactors. Because you really don't want to be in space when your sole reactor breaks down.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

    Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

  3. - Top - End - #633
    Orc in the Playground
     
    theangelJean's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Freefall 3: Death Ray Byproducts

    I think the second reactor is even referred to as only being necessary for life support (in case of an emergency). So if your main reactor breaks down, you can at least stay alive (or go into cold-sleep) until someone comes along to rescue you.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

  4. - Top - End - #634
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freefall 3: Death Ray Byproducts

    New comic

    Sam's approach is kinda backwards, but he has to work with what he's got.
    Also, can't argue with success.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

    Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")



  5. - Top - End - #635
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freefall 3: Death Ray Byproducts

    New comic

    Okay, this guy deserves having Sam inflicted on him.
    I really hope he solves The Morsel's problems- in exactly the way the fool doesn't want.
    Maybe Sam can get him to say "with any means necessary" or something like that.
    Still one of my favourite Babylon 5 moments.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

    Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")



  6. - Top - End - #636
    Orc in the Playground
     
    theangelJean's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Freefall 3: Death Ray Byproducts

    Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    New comic

    Okay, this guy deserves having Sam inflicted on him.
    I really hope he solves The Morsel's problems- in exactly the way the fool doesn't want.
    Maybe Sam can get him to say "with any means necessary" or something like that.
    Still one of my favourite Babylon 5 moments.
    The Morsel? Interesting nickname.

    I get that his name is De Morel, which is probably a play on "a"moral or "im"moral, but it just makes me think of mushrooms. And wonder if Dr Bowman referred to mushroom-heads at some point.

    Edit: full name Mr Ames De Morel. Ame (with a circonflex) being French for "soul". It's possible that the "de" is ironically denoting a descriptor and the guy is actually A Moral Soul. But his behaviour so far doesn't support it. Then again he does seem to be overwhelmingly convinced of his own rightness.
    Last edited by theangelJean; 2021-07-21 at 11:51 PM.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

  7. - Top - End - #637
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location

    Default Re: Freefall 3: Death Ray Byproducts

    Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    Edit: full name Mr Ames De Morel. Ame (with a circonflex) being French for "soul". It's possible that the "de" is ironically denoting a descriptor and the guy is actually A Moral Soul. But his behaviour so far doesn't support it. Then again he does seem to be overwhelmingly convinced of his own rightness.
    Well if we're reading too much into that, it'd translate to "soul of moral" maybe. Or perhaps "soul of morale". There's a bit of a funny false friend thing going on between French and English, where the nouns "moral" and "morale" are translated, respectively, as "morale" and "moral". E.g.
    "le moral du personnel" => "the morale of the personnel"
    "la morale de l'histoire" => "the moral of the story"

    Given how apparently part of the problem is a profound loss of motivation caused by inept leadership, it might be that the morale is a more pertinent reading here than the moral. Either way, it's certainly an ironic name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

  8. - Top - End - #638
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bristol, UK

    Default Re: Freefall 3: Death Ray Byproducts

    Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    The Morsel? Interesting nickname.

    I get that his name is De Morel, which is probably a play on "a"moral or "im"moral, but it just makes me think of mushrooms. And wonder if Dr Bowman referred to mushroom-heads at some point.

    Edit: full name Mr Ames De Morel. Ame (with a circonflex) being French for "soul". It's possible that the "de" is ironically denoting a descriptor and the guy is actually A Moral Soul. But his behaviour so far doesn't support it. Then again he does seem to be overwhelmingly convinced of his own rightness.
    I think the name if it means anything, which it probably doesn't, Bowman has nothing to do with bows for instance, then the reference will be to the mushrooms, probably to the "kept in the dark and fed bull****" meme.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

  9. - Top - End - #639
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Freefall 3: Death Ray Byproducts

    Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    The Morsel? Interesting nickname.

    I get that his name is De Morel, which is probably a play on "a"moral or "im"moral, but it just makes me think of mushrooms. And wonder if Dr Bowman referred to mushroom-heads at some point.

    Edit: full name Mr Ames De Morel. Ame (with a circonflex) being French for "soul". It's possible that the "de" is ironically denoting a descriptor and the guy is actually A Moral Soul. But his behaviour so far doesn't support it. Then again he does seem to be overwhelmingly convinced of his own rightness.
    Or maybe De Morel-ized? As in -- representative of this entire station which is is (so to speak) a company town after the company left.

    I say that because, sure right now he'd being portrayed as the schnook who tried to pay the protagonists with a reactor he knew wouldn't serve their needs, and they could just try to enact some just desserts and move on, but the overall plot arc seems to be that they will figure out how to rescue this station's economy. If so, De Morel is unlikely to get a thorough comeuppance, and thus I don't think he'll be made into quite the mustachio-twirling villains that Mr. Kornada was.

    Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    if it means anything, which it probably doesn't
    Or that, of course.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2021-07-22 at 07:04 AM.

  10. - Top - End - #640
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Freefall 3: Death Ray Byproducts

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Or maybe De Morel-ized? As in -- representative of this entire station which is is (so to speak) a company town after the company left.

    I say that because, sure right now he'd being portrayed as the schnook who tried to pay the protagonists with a reactor he knew wouldn't serve their needs
    Did he know that, though?
    and they could just try to enact some just desserts and move on, but the overall plot arc seems to be that they will figure out how to rescue this station's economy. If so, De Morel is unlikely to get a thorough comeuppance, and thus I don't think he'll be made into quite the mustachio-twirling villains that Mr. Kornada was.
    Kornada was more portrayed as utterly urresponsible than actively malicious.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  11. - Top - End - #641
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Freefall 3: Death Ray Byproducts

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Did he know that, though?
    It's certainly not clear, but the would-a-few-rolls-of-duct-tape-make-this-better bit leads me to believe that, at least at the moment, that's how he's being portrayed regardless. He's (and I'm sure there's a better word for this) the schnook that's not paying them what they wanted, and it remains to be seen if Sam is going to get what he wants by negotiating with him, fooling him, or working around him.

    Kornada was more portrayed as utterly urresponsible than actively malicious.
    Agree but not sure of the relevance. My point is that he was portrayed as an over-the-top antagonist -- one that the audience wouldn't feel bad with just about any form of comeuppance. And he got quite a comeuppance, and it felt cathartic. Everything we've seen so far (particularly the number of strips dedicated to discovering exactly why the station is in such economic plight and why exactly each part of it isn't paying each other and doing vital maintenance and such) suggests to me that the main plot arc here is the protagonist team figuring out how to make the station viable again, such that maintenance will happen and everyone won't die horribly, Winston's parents can continue to live there, Niomi can have gainful employ, and everyone live happily ever after (excepting the main cast who will move on to new adventures when the next story arc happens in 3-8 IRL years). Therefore it is my hypothesis that this De Morel guy is not going to get some epic just desserts, and as such won't turn out to be nearly the Karmically-acceptable-target that Kornada showed himself to be.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; Yesterday at 08:25 AM.

  12. - Top - End - #642
    Orc in the Playground
     
    theangelJean's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Freefall 3: Death Ray Byproducts

    Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I think the name if it means anything, which it probably doesn't, Bowman has nothing to do with bows for instance, then the reference will be to the mushrooms, probably to the "kept in the dark and fed bull****" meme.
    Oddly enough I think I *just* found out where the name Bowman came from, hang on....

    Quote Originally Posted by Tardis.wikia
    Dr. James Alistair Bowman: Dr Grace Holloway came up with the name "Dr. Bowman" for the Eighth Doctor whilst introducing him to others at the New Year's Eve party. (TV: Doctor Who) The Doctor subsequently used the "Dr. Bowman" alias on occasion, filling it out to "James Alistair Bowman".
    Just had to confirm dates to check - The telemovie was 1996, Freefall started in 1998.
    *edit*: the comic apparently started being published online in 1998 - wikifur says it started in a fanzine in 1989. Now I wonder when Dr Bowman and the name Bowman's Wolf were first introduced.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Well if we're reading too much into that, it'd translate to "soul of moral" maybe. Or perhaps "soul of morale". There's a bit of a funny false friend thing going on between French and English, where the nouns "moral" and "morale" are translated, respectively, as "morale" and "moral". E.g.
    "le moral du personnel" => "the morale of the personnel"
    "la morale de l'histoire" => "the moral of the story"

    Given how apparently part of the problem is a profound loss of motivation caused by inept leadership, it might be that the morale is a more pertinent reading here than the moral. Either way, it's certainly an ironic name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Or maybe De Morel-ized? As in -- representative of this entire station which is is (so to speak) a company town after the company left.
    I'm actually leaning towards this one now. Demoralised? I figure that's the way the workforce are feeling, both as a consequence of the factories not having a purpose, and probably also because of the attitude of this particular manager.

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    I say that because, sure right now he'd being portrayed as the schnook who tried to pay the protagonists with a reactor he knew wouldn't serve their needs, and they could just try to enact some just desserts and move on, but the overall plot arc seems to be that they will figure out how to rescue this station's economy. If so, De Morel is unlikely to get a thorough comeuppance, and thus I don't think he'll be made into quite the mustachio-twirling villains that Mr. Kornada was.
    I agree with Fyraltari that he didn't necessarily know that the reactor wouldn't serve their needs, but my take is that he didn't actually care. This guy isn't out to deliberately trick people into doing what he wants with the promise of a reward that doesn't eventuate. He is more about penny-pinching - that is, getting whatever he can without spending any money. If he can promise them something that he already has, and has no need of, who cares if it actually works for them. But I agree with Willie the Duck's predictions about the direction of the story, mostly...

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Agree but not sure of the relevance. My point is that he was portrayed as an over-the-top antagonist -- one that the audience wouldn't feel bad with just about any form of comeuppance. And he got quite a comeuppance, and it felt cathartic. Everything we've seen so far (particularly the number of strips dedicated to discovering exactly why the station is in such economic plight and why exactly each part of it isn't paying each other and doing vital maintenance and such) suggests to me that the main plot arc here is the protagonist team figuring out how to make the station viable again, such that maintenance will happen and everyone won't die horribly, Winston's parents can continue to live there, Niomi can have gainful employ, and everyone live happily ever after (excepting the main cast who will move on to new adventures when the next story arc happens in 3-8 IRL years). Therefore it is my hypothesis that this De Morel guy is going to get some epic just desserts, and as such won't turn out to be nearly the Karmically-acceptable-target that Kornada showed himself to be.
    I was with you right up until the last sentence. De Morel being comically punished or given an excessively "fitting" retribution wouldn't serve the purposes of anyone else in the comic - what they need is an economically viable space station. And unlike Kornada, he's not coming off as supremely self-serving. So I'm not sure what you mean by "some epic just desserts"?
    Last edited by theangelJean; Yesterday at 08:22 AM. Reason: comic dates
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

  13. - Top - End - #643
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Freefall 3: Death Ray Byproducts

    Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    I was with you right up until the last sentence. De Morel being comically punished or given an excessively "fitting" retribution wouldn't serve the purposes of anyone else in the comic - what they need is an economically viable space station. And unlike Kornada, he's not coming off as supremely self-serving. So I'm not sure what you mean by "some epic just desserts"?
    That's because I missed the negative. He is not going to get any epic just desserts like Kornada. Edited the original.

  14. - Top - End - #644
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    memnarch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In the mind.

    Default Re: Freefall 3: Death Ray Byproducts

    Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    Oddly enough I think I *just* found out where the name Bowman came from, hang on....



    Just had to confirm dates to check - The telemovie was 1996, Freefall started in 1998.
    *edit*: the comic apparently started being published online in 1998 - wikifur says it started in a fanzine in 1989. Now I wonder when Dr Bowman and the name Bowman's Wolf were first introduced.


    ...

    Comic #9 it turns out, at least for the name.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

    Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

  15. - Top - End - #645
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location

    Default Re: Freefall 3: Death Ray Byproducts

    Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    Oddly enough I think I *just* found out where the name Bowman came from, hang on....

    Just had to confirm dates to check - The telemovie was 1996, Freefall started in 1998.
    *edit*: the comic apparently started being published online in 1998 - wikifur says it started in a fanzine in 1989. Now I wonder when Dr Bowman and the name Bowman's Wolf were first introduced.
    Well, if you want "Dr. Bowman" to be a reference, there's a certain character named Dr. David Bowman in 2001: A Space Odyssey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •