New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391

Default Re: Freefall 3: Death Ray Byproducts

Sam makes a good point. Being locateable is something I try to avoid as well.

2. - Top - End - #392

I wonder if Sam views making people lose sleep while trying to figure out how he finagled them as a game.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    I wonder if Sam views making people lose sleep while trying to figure out how he finagled them as a game.
    Not sure about that, but we do know, he likes to outsource the creation of cunning plans to other people.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Not sure about that, but we do know, he likes to outsource the creation of cunning plans to other people.
    Like when he bilked the robots out of money?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Exactly what I had in mind and simply did not have time to find the right strip. :)

6. - Top - End - #396

That's going to be a problem for Helix, isn't it? No charge port and no data compression means he pretty much is tied to the ship.

7. - Top - End - #397

Florence and Winston explaining how they met is less fun than going and rereading it.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Bugbear in the Playground

I laughed at today's punchline. Has he been holding on to that one for years or is it a repeat? Either way, worth it.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    I laughed at today's punchline. Has he been holding on to that one for years or is it a repeat? Either way, worth it.
    He's totally been planning to use that the whole trip.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Bugbear in the Playground

Heh. That works, but I meant the author. I was just wondering if it's come up before.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

11. - Top - End - #401

No, but Winston's probably been thinking about it since he and Flo mixed ball-throwing and a theoretical discussion.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Troll in the Playground

I have to say that Mr Thurmad is actually on the spot with the main issues that needed to be addressed in the relationship between Winston and Florence.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    I have to say that Mr Thurmad is actually on the spot with the main issues that needed to be addressed in the relationship between Winston and Florence.
    Considering who he's married to, he probably has a lot of experience with this kind of arguments.
    Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #404
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Considering who he's married to, he probably has a lot of experience with this kind of arguments.
    Before we have seen Winston's parents I kind of expected him to be far more against the whole idea of an inter-species relationship. Now that I consider, who is he married to, him being on the level makes more sense on the grounds of his marriage actually lasting for a long time. He is less about strict banning of ideas and far more simply being cautious and maybe sceptic.
    Last edited by Radar; 2020-11-02 at 06:53 AM.

15. - Top - End - #405

Dad's right, that kind of intelligent discussion can ruin you for talking to humans. Fortunately, the majority of the population on Jean is AIs.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Orc in the Playground

I just started reading freefall about a week ago. I like it a lot. I am at page 2489.
    I plan to get up to date in a few days.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D&D_Fan View Post
    I just started reading freefall about a week ago. I like it a lot. I am at page 2489.
    I plan to get up to date in a few days.
    Did you use the speedreader site? It is very convenient for reading the archives.

18. - Top - End - #408

I just love some of the conversations we get in this comic.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Orc in the Playground

I am now up to date with Freefall. Yay!

20. - Top - End - #410

Godammit, now I want to know what "What's Opera Doc?" sounds like in Klingon.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

"Everything sounds better in the original Klingon."
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

22. - Top - End - #412
    Troll in the Playground

I do not know about that, but you might be able to dig out Klingon Christmas Carol as there are some recordings. Aside from that I obviously found some people on YouTube singing in Klingon.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by D&D_Fan View Post
    I am now up to date with Freefall. Yay!
    I just did a full archive re-read myself. The early strips were a lot more uneven than I remembered, and the author took a lot longer than I remembered to find the strip's overall tone. Still, glad I did it.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ah, singularity preachers. Always full of grand pronouncements of what the future is, but never having a good handle on specifics. Not that I think edge is wrong that Florence is wolf ancestors couldn't even comprehend how different are is, but I am not sure that my ancestors would fare much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

25. - Top - End - #415

I'm pretty sure my great-grandparents couldn't figure out how my thought process works. Forget about the australopithecines.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

I never thought of the singularity as being relative, before. That's interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Ah, singularity preachers. Always full of grand pronouncements of what the future is, but never having a good handle on specifics.
    I mean, is it really surprising that people can't describe in specifics a society that's incomprehensible to us?
    Not that I think edge is wrong that Florence is wolf ancestors couldn't even comprehend how different are is, but I am not sure that my ancestors would fare much better.
    In Florence's case, these ancestors are her biological parents, so it's quite sharper a turn than anything we know in real life.
    I'm pretty sure my great-grandparents couldn't figure out how my thought process works. Forget about the australopithecines.
    I'm sorry what? You really think your great grandparents would see you as some kind of alien being?
    Forum Wisdom

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

I'm sorry what? You really think your great grandparents would see you as some kind of alien being?
    Well, considering such people would be three generations back.....so....about 120 years ago.....

there has been changes in that time, and basically changes bring changes in culture and behavior. there are some things that people do today that mystify me, okay? like just to use a safe example, what person 120 years would get the concepts of internet memes? the concept of those people on twitter who literally post everything they do on twitter just because they can? or look at smart phones, those would basically be magic to them, small little rectangle that somehow does so many things, that would be science fiction to them at best and not even one they would see coming. because no one saw the computer miniaturization thing coming, no one. not even the science fiction writers decades after the people your talking about, because they thought? that such a thing would thousands of years down the line.

they wouldn't know who Superman is, who Batman is, because they lived before superhero comics were a thing, black and white steamboat mickey mouse would be a new development to them. they just wouldn't have any context for anything thats happening now or what we're talking about, they wouldn't understand fandoms of these complex fictional universes, or why we do this or that.

like just because they're technically in a modern industrial age like ours, doesn't mean they'd fit right in. culture shock is a thing. like your talking about early 1900's at the latest. early 1900's and 2020 are vastly different beasts, especially as tech advances.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Well, considering such people would be three generations back.....so....about 120 years ago.....

there has been changes in that time, and basically changes bring changes in culture and behavior. there are some things that people do today that mystify me, okay? like just to use a safe example, what person 120 years would get the concepts of internet memes? the concept of those people on twitter who literally post everything they do on twitter just because they can? or look at smart phones, those would basically be magic to them, small little rectangle that somehow does so many things, that would be science fiction to them at best and not even one they would see coming. because no one saw the computer miniaturization thing coming, no one. not even the science fiction writers decades after the people your talking about, because they thought? that such a thing would thousands of years down the line.

they wouldn't know who Superman is, who Batman is, because they lived before superhero comics were a thing, black and white steamboat mickey mouse would be a new development to them. they just wouldn't have any context for anything thats happening now or what we're talking about, they wouldn't understand fandoms of these complex fictional universes, or why we do this or that.

like just because they're technically in a modern industrial age like ours, doesn't mean they'd fit right in. culture shock is a thing. like your talking about early 1900's at the latest. early 1900's and 2020 are vastly different beasts, especially as tech advances.
    Culture shock is a thing. "Not understanding my thought process" is several orders of magnitude greater than that.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-11-18 at 06:12 AM.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

Culture shock is a thing. "Not understanding my thought process" is several orders of magnitude greater than that.
    From my experiences not understanding other peoples thought processes is quite common among humanity, so I don't see your point. there are tons of people whose decisions and actions mystify me.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

30. - Top - End - #420
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    From my experiences not understanding other peoples thought processes is quite common among humanity, so I don't see your point. there are tons of people whose decisions and actions mystify me.
    You understand the process but not the starting point. If you had a better understanding of their culture/background you would understand their actions just fine.
    Forum Wisdom