New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 52021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread VI: Return of the Red Die

Q345:

Bard with archetype Duettist gets familiar and at 4th level familiar can use masters bardic performance's. But with:
    Each round that the familiar performs consumes 2 rounds of the duettist’s bardic performance.

Question: There is Performances that have instant effects (Wordstrike and Weird Words from Sound Striker archetypes) and mustn't be maintained all the time. Will familiar consume 2 rounds per use or it don`t counts as "Each round performance" and will cost only one round per use?

2. - Top - End - #872
    Titan in the Playground

A345: It still consumes rounds, and all "start a performance", so you treat it as the Familiar consuming +1 round over the master's use. regardless.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Q346:
    Will starting any Bardic Performance cancel the effect of the Triple Time masterpiece (Which lasts one hour after completing performance)?

4. - Top - End - #874
    Ettin in the Playground

A 346 Yes, you can only maintain one bardic performance at a time.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

5. - Top - End - #875
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Q347:
    Starting Weird Words bardic performance is always standard action. But after starting it is free action to maintain?

6. - Top - End - #876
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MizuDevil View Post
    Q347:
    Starting Weird Words bardic performance is always standard action. But after starting it is free action to maintain?
    A347: Weird Words is not sustained.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 348: Detect Evil/Good/Law/Chaos detects the aura of aligned outsiders. Does this include native outsiders, i. e. would a good aligned tiefling ranger have as strong an aura as a human cleric of the same level?

Currently playing:
    Gardin Farawyn Saskeon of Efteria, Elven Bard und Oracle
    Faire Camoretta, Halfling Monk.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Bugbear in the Playground

A348: As written, yes, although deciding otherwise might be a reasonable houserule.
    Last edited by Seto; 2022-05-01 at 08:02 AM.
    My True Neutral Handbook, a resource for creating and playing TN characters.

Check out my extended signature and the "Gitp regulars as..." that I've been honored with!

9. - Top - End - #879
    Ogre in the Playground

Some questions that have come up in a game I'm currently playing in.

Q 349: In Pathfinder, do all Large creatures take up a 10x10 space? Or are some of them 5x10. My DM insists many Large creatures are 5x10, but I can't find anything to that effect on d20PFSRD.org, and I'm suspicious he's just stuck in 3.0. Either way, can you point me to a quote?

Q 350: In Pathfinder, is Knowledge (Local) one skill or many? That is, if I'm from the Material Plane, and I find myself in the Feywilds (exactly the situation I'm in), would Knowledge (Local) ranks I gained back home help me know prominent Feywilds figures? The DM's been asking us if we have ranks in Knowledge (Local) since we got here, and I just don't see why any of us would have the relevant training. Though I guess I could put some ranks in next level-up.

Q 351: In Pathfinder, are enemies flat-footed (and thus Sneak-Attack-able) before they take their first turn? Or are they only flat-footed in a surprise round? On one occasion, the Rogue in the party went before an enemy, and I suggested this would allow him to use Sneak Attack, but the DM said that would only be true if we'd gotten a surprise round.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Some questions that have come up in a game I'm currently playing in.

Q 349: In Pathfinder, do all Large creatures take up a 10x10 space? Or are some of them 5x10. My DM insists many Large creatures are 5x10, but I can't find anything to that effect on d20PFSRD.org, and I'm suspicious he's just stuck in 3.0. Either way, can you point me to a quote?
    A349: Yes, sizes are standardized in Pathfinder entirely based on size category. However, the Reach does change depending on whether you are Large (Long) or Large (Tall) even though they both take up a 10 ft. space; specifically Large (Long) does not by default have Reach (unless specified in their stablock) while Large (Tall) is assumed to have Reach by default unless otherwise specified). Source.

Q 350: In Pathfinder, is Knowledge (Local) one skill or many? That is, if I'm from the Material Plane, and I find myself in the Feywilds (exactly the situation I'm in), would Knowledge (Local) ranks I gained back home help me know prominent Feywilds figures? The DM's been asking us if we have ranks in Knowledge (Local) since we got here, and I just don't see why any of us would have the relevant training. Though I guess I could put some ranks in next level-up.
    A350: Yes, Local is one skill. It is used to know "legends, personalities, inhabitants, laws, customs, traditions, humanoids" (Source.). However, I would say there's a strong argument to be made that knowing anything about how things go on in the Feywilds is a Nature or Planes check depending. Still, if your GM is being merciful and taking the skill entirely at face value, I wouldn't complain much. It ultimately is of minimal impact, and I would assume they're ruling for that because it's just simpler that way.

Q 351: In Pathfinder, are enemies flat-footed (and thus Sneak-Attack-able) before they take their first turn? Or are they only flat-footed in a surprise round? On one occasion, the Rogue in the party went before an enemy, and I suggested this would allow him to use Sneak Attack, but the DM said that would only be true if we'd gotten a surprise round.
    A351: Yes, creatures are ALWAYS flatfooted before their first action in a combat, barring some sepcial ability (eg. Uncanny Dodge).

At the start of a battle, before you have had a chance to act (specifically, before your first regular turn in the initiative order), you are flat-footed. You can’t use your Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) while flat-footed. Barbarians and rogues of high enough level have the uncanny dodge extraordinary ability, which means that they cannot be caught flat-footed. Characters with uncanny dodge retain their Dexterity bonus to their AC and can make attacks of opportunity before they have acted in the first round of combat. A flat-footed character can’t make attacks of opportunity, unless he has the Combat Reflexes feat.
    Direct link.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2022-05-13 at 04:28 AM.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Q352. What is the natural armor of the dire bat animal companion of a 7th level druid (bat shaman archetype)? The animal companion table says it gets +4, while the Bestiary says a 7th level dire bat animal companion has +3 natural armor... Do they stack?

12. - Top - End - #882
    Ettin in the Playground

A 352 It's as the animal companion table says. Companion stats and monster stats are completely different things. The Dire Bat companion has a base natural armor of +0, +4 for being a 7th level companion.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

13. - Top - End - #883
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    A 352 It's as the animal companion table says. Companion stats and monster stats are completely different things. The Dire Bat companion has a base natural armor of +0, +4 for being a 7th level companion.
    At the bottom of the link you posted it says "7th-Level Advancement: Size Large; AC +3 natural armor; Attack bite (1d8); Ability Scores Str +8, Dex -2, Con +4." That doesn't apply at all?

14. - Top - End - #884
    Titan in the Playground

It applies. They're both bonuses, so they stack.

Say so right there on the Animal Companions rules page.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Armor Bonus
    The number noted here is an improvement to the animal companion’s existing natural armor bonus.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ettin in the Playground

As Rynjin said, the size increase to natural armor does stack, if you chose to allow the growth spurt, as that's a character choice. I... forgot about size increases. You could maintain size and go with a Dex and Con increase but I feel like that's not often taken unless you're playing in an underground/indoor campaign where a large or even medium companion would be hampered.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

16. - Top - End - #886
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Q353. Can a haramaki or silken ceremonial be enchanted like regular armor?

17. - Top - End - #887
    Titan in the Playground

A353: They are armor.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q354: Does the entangled condition imposed by the spell Entangle count as being “anchored to an immobile object or tethered by an opposing force”?

E.g. could a character (say a barbarian of a common medium race since that makes the numbers round) that failed their save and became entangled, choose to forgo attempting to break free and simply try to walk through the spell, at a speed of 10 ft/move action (base 30, +10, halved for entangled, halved for difficult terrain).

If not what would be an example of the entangled condition where a character could move?

19. - Top - End - #889
    Titan in the Playground

A354: Entangle both secures the target to the ground by description (the weeds and plants are attached to the ground, and are now wrapped around the target) and by text implication (targets "end their movement" and may "break free" with a Str or Escape Artist check after a failed save, and may "move normally" on a successful save).

An example of an Entangled effect that does not necessarily anchor the target is the effect of a successful Net toss.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Titan in the Playground

Q355

Cast "time stop" while already in a time stop. What happens?

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #891
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Q355

Cast "time stop" while already in a time stop. What happens?
    A355: RAW is fuzzy, but probably the same thing that happens when you cast any other spell on yourself twice. Current iteration of the spell ends, and the "refreshed" spell takes precedence. Any effects "queued" in Time Stop go off and then the new Time Stop begins, rolling 1d4+1 rounds to determine duration.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Halfling in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #37: 3d12+1

Q188

Is there any official or semi-official answer as to whether a Psychodermist Occultist qualifies for panoplies if their trophies are integrated into the appropriate item?

23. - Top - End - #893
    Halfling in the Playground

Goblin

Q356

Is there any official or even semi-official (like the author posting somewhere) clarification on if a Psychodermist Occultist can use panoplies, assume they integrate their trophies into the appropriate magic item?

24. - Top - End - #894
    Titan in the Playground

A357: The issue with Psychodermist and Panoplies comes down to Panoplies not just requiring a specific Implement School, but a specific item. Your trophies qualify for the former but not the latter.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2022-06-02 at 10:38 PM.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q358 (I think) - Re: A swashbuckler's Opportune Parry and Riposte - what happens with Natural 20s?

Quote Originally Posted by The SRD states
    The swashbuckler makes an attack roll as if she were making an attack of opportunity; for each size category the attacking creature is larger than the swashbuckler, the swashbuckler takes a –2 penalty on this roll. If her result is greater than the attacking creature’s result, the creature’s attack automatically misses.
    And attack rolls automatically hit on a natural 20. So what happens in the following three scenarios?

i) The attacker's roll is a natural 20 but the swashbuckler's parrying roll has a higher total though not a natural 20.
    ii) The attacker's roll is not a 20 but the swashbuckler's parrying roll has a lower total but is a natural 20.
    iii) Both rolls are natural 20s.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    Q358 (I think) - Re: A swashbuckler's Opportune Parry and Riposte - what happens with Natural 20s?

And attack rolls automatically hit on a natural 20. So what happens in the following three scenarios?

i) The attacker's roll is a natural 20 but the swashbuckler's parrying roll has a higher total though not a natural 20.
    ii) The attacker's roll is not a 20 but the swashbuckler's parrying roll has a lower total but is a natural 20.
    iii) Both rolls are natural 20s.
    A358: There's a FAQ that applies to this:

Natural 20 and Natural 1: On attack rolls and saving throws, a natural 20 is an automatic success and a natural 1 is an automatic failure. But should I treat them differently than other results when deciding if a roll succeeded or failed by 5 or more, when comparing two opposed attack rolls to see which is a higher result, or other similar situations?
    No, unless a specific rule tells you otherwise, treat a natural 20 or natural 1 result on an attack roll or saving throw the same as any other result when comparing the total result to other numbers. For example, if a fighter rolls a natural 1 for a total of 31 against the wizard’s AC of 33, the attack misses by 5 or less and destroys one of the wizard’s mirror images.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q359: Is there any spell, class or similar that gives intelligence to mindless undeads? Something akin to Awaken Undead from 3.5?

28. - Top - End - #898
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 360: What counts as "expensive material components" for the purpose of spell-like abilities creatures summoned with a Summon Monster spell can cast? The example given is Wish with a a cost of 25,000 GP cost, which doesn't really give a lower limit.

Currently playing:
    Gardin Farawyn Saskeon of Efteria, Elven Bard und Oracle
    Faire Camoretta, Halfling Monk.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Titan in the Playground

A360: "Expensive" material components are material components that cost more than 1 gp. I.e. the ones that don't come for free in every Spell Component Pouch.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    A360: "Expensive" material components are material components that cost more than 1 gp. I.e. the ones that don't come for free in every Spell Component Pouch.
    1 gp or more, you mean.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.