New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 40 FirstFirst ... 722232425262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread VI: Return of the Red Die

Q373

Does the crafting rule that lets you ignore a prerequisite by increasing the DC by 5 also apply to special prerequisites? specific item in question is a silver smite bracelet crafted by a nonpaladin

2. - Top - End - #932
    Ettin in the Playground

A 373 Yes. The only thing the difficulty increase can't replace is the item creation feat. Special prereqs like being a dwarf or nonpaladin can be emulated with that +5 increase.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

3. - Top - End - #933
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 374: What exactly happens when you cast Greater Magic Weapon on a flask of Alchemist's Fire? Does the ranged touch attack gain the enhancement bonus? Does the damage on a direct hit gain the enhancement bonus? Does the splash damage gain the enhancement bonus? Does the damage in the following round gain the enhancement bonus?

4. - Top - End - #934
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Q 374: What exactly happens when you cast Greater Magic Weapon on a flask of Alchemist's Fire? Does the ranged touch attack gain the enhancement bonus? Does the damage on a direct hit gain the enhancement bonus? Does the splash damage gain the enhancement bonus? Does the damage in the following round gain the enhancement bonus?
    A374: I'm fairly certain all but the last point are a "yes". The burning damage isn't technically damage from the weapon, but from a condition applied by it. But it should boost attack, damage, and splash damage (as splash damage is just "minimum direct hit damage").

5. - Top - End - #935
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Q 375
    How does the enforcer feat work when your character is invisible? Can you still cause the shaken condition if your enemy can’t see you?

6. - Top - End - #936

Quote Originally Posted by M’aiq View Post
    Q 375
    How does the enforcer feat work when your character is invisible? Can you still cause the shaken condition if your enemy can’t see you?
    A 375:
    enforcer just provides a demoralize attempt, but that requires you to be visible and audible, so it is worthless unless your target has see invisibility, true sight, or some other exotic sense that makes you not invisible.
    https://aonprd.com/Skills.aspx?ItemName=Intimidate
    Quote Originally Posted by PFSRD
    You can only threaten an opponent in this way if they are within 30 feet and can clearly see and hear you.
    Last edited by exelsisxax; 2022-12-03 at 09:02 PM.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    A 374: in addition 1to what Rynjin said, the splash damage does not gain the bonus, since GMW adds to damage rolls and splash damage is not a roll.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

8. - Top - End - #938
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q376: Touch of Law (Sp): You can touch a willing creature as a standard action, infusing it with the power of divine order and allowing it to treat all attack rolls, skill checks, ability checks, and saving throws for 1 round as if the natural d20 roll resulted in an 11. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier.

How does the "allow" work exactly?
    1) Does the creature decides at the beginning of their turn and then HAVE to treat all the rolls as 11?
    2) They decide before rolling each die if they want to treat that die as 11 instead of rolling?
    3) They can decide after rolling to treat the result at 11?

My gut says it's 2) on the flimsy ground that "all" is not "every" and that replacing the result after the roll would have probably been called out more explicitly, but would like to hear if there's a clearer reading of the ability.
    Hector Morris Ashburnum-Whit - Curse of the Crimson Throne - IC / OoC
    Bosek of Kuru - A Falling Star - IC / OoC
    Gifu Lavoi - Heritage of Kings - IC / OoC

9. - Top - End - #939

Q377 Can an Archeologist bard activate masterpieces whose activation time is 1 standard action as swift actions, since archeologist luck is swift action?

10. - Top - End - #940

A377 No, archeologist luck is its own ability with its own action cost to activate, it doesn't grant the ability to use other bardic performances as a swift action

11. - Top - End - #941

Q378 How does the powerless prophecy oracle curse interact with the lookout teamwork feat?

12. - Top - End - #942
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ciopo View Post
    Q378 How does the powerless prophecy oracle curse interact with the lookout teamwork feat?
    A378: Your Initiative is moved to your Initiative roll or your Ally's -1 (whichever is higher) and then you take no actions.

"Act in the surprise round" has a specific meaning in the rules, and is considered a more general rule. Going by the basic precept that specific (your Oracle curse which prevents you from ever taking actions during a surprise round) trumps general, you still get no actions.

In essence, Powerless Prophecy allows you to "act in the surprise round" (you have an Initiative, you do technically have an action you could take in the form of Flash of Insight) but does not allow you to take any actions.

Lookout works as normal for your ally however, and so you are always a valid "trigger" for Lookout for them.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2023-01-10 at 09:49 AM.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Titan in the Playground

Q379:

Does a druid’s animal companion heal naturally overnight, and if so, does the amount of healing correspond to the druid’s level, or some other factor?

I can’t find any reference to animal companions’ healing in the CRB, so not sure if there are any specific rules on this.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Titan in the Playground

A379: All creatures follow the same rules on natural healing.

Natural Healing
    With a full night’s rest (8 hours of sleep or more), you recover 1 hit point per character level. Any significant interruption during your rest prevents you from healing that night.

If you undergo complete bed rest for an entire day and night, you recover twice your character level in hit points.

It would be up to GM discretion on whether an Animal Companion's character level corresponds to the Druid's level (since Animal Companion is sort of a "class", they even have archetypes) or their Hit Dice though.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2023-01-11 at 05:06 PM.

15. - Top - End - #945

A380 are the pei zin practitioner and the spirit guide archetypes of oracle compatible? at a first glance going by aonprd they seem to be compatible, but if you go to the details they both replace bonus class skills from the mistery? but one of them captions them as bonus skill, whereas the other caption the "change done" as to the class skills... herolab allows taking them together, but I'm not convinced that is correct

16. - Top - End - #946
    Titan in the Playground

A380: HeroLab is frequently wrong, and this is one of those cases. Both archetypes replace or alter the same feature (class skills from Mystery) in different ways. As such, the archetypes are not compatible.

Mind; most GMs in my experience would be amenable to houseruling otherwise.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q381: I start as Level 1, doing medium XP progression, and gain 5000XP. Am I now exactly level 3 or am I level 2 with 2000XP missing until level 3?

Currently playing:
    Gardin Farawyn Saskeon of Efteria, Elven Bard und Oracle
    Faire Camoretta, Halfling Monk.

18. - Top - End - #948

A381: You are exactly level 3. The number of experience points listed in the character advancement table is "Experience Point Total", not "Experience Point to this Level".
    Awesome avatar by Linklele. Thank you!

19. - Top - End - #949
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Q382: Which item(s), if any, can an Aegis wearing Crystal Spaulders (which takes up the armor slot) also wear so as to get access to armor enhancements?

20. - Top - End - #950

A382: The traditional alternative source for armor is Bracers of Armor. They can be enchanted like normal armors, including armor special abilities, but not including armor special abilities with a flag gp cost.

Sorry, I didn’t realize you already get an armor bonus.
    Last edited by ahyangyi; 2023-01-26 at 03:41 PM.
    Awesome avatar by Linklele. Thank you!

21. - Top - End - #951
    Ettin in the Playground

A 382 dispute I think that was tradition but errata may have added this clause.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bracers of Armor
    If the wearer receives a larger armor bonus from another source, the bracers of armor cease functioning and do not grant their armor bonus or their armor special abilities.
    So it no longer works, unfortunately.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

22. - Top - End - #952
    Titan in the Playground

A 382: You would use a shield.

23. - Top - End - #953
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 383: Using the rules for retraining racial traits, can a Human switch their +2 to a different ability score?

24. - Top - End - #954
    Titan in the Playground

A384: RAW is fuzzy. The ability score increase is a "racial trait", and while the section for retraining racial traits does mention ALTERNATE racial traits by name, it doesn't specify ONLY alternate racial traits.

As far as RAI goes, who knows?

FWIW, I'd allow it as a GM; you can already retrain ability score increases from levelup, so why not your racials?
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2023-01-27 at 11:55 AM.

25. - Top - End - #955
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A284: Finger of Death isn't actually a SoD in PF - and unfortunately, being a Player Companion item this one isn't written as clearly as it could have been. It appears to say that the target must be hexed with Gift of Consumption before you can then affect them with Greater Gift of Consumption, so bypassing your fort saves in this way takes at least a round of setup with each target, assuming they even fail the first one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gift of Consumption (Su)
    The witch curses a creature to share any effects that target her vitality. Whenever the witch is exposed to an effect that requires her to attempt a Fortitude save, as an immediate action she can curse a creature within 30 feet to share the effect. The hexed creature must also attempt a Fortitude save at the same DC as the witch’s, and on a failure it is subject to the same effects as the witch. Regardless of the outcome of the saving throw, the creature can’t be targeted by this hex again for 1 day. This hex does not function with effects that require additional types of saves, such as phantasmal killer.

Bold for Clarification: I don't think it requires a round to setup, but it is only once per day per target for a saving throw redirection and requires the use of an immediate action; meaning once per turn and only if you are not surprised.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Titan in the Playground

Q384: suppose I make an unarmed bull rush or disarm or trip (and hit), can I use a swift action to tack on a School Strike or Hex Strike?

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

27. - Top - End - #957
    Ettin in the Playground

A 384 No, a combat maneuver isn't an unarmed strike regardless of how it's accomplished. A follow-up like from Greater Trip performed with an unarmed strike could, though.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

28. - Top - End - #958
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 385: If a Shaman with the Life spirit has the Enhanced Cures hex (which boosts Cure spells) and the Healing hex (which duplicates the Cure Light Wounds spell), does the Healing hex gain the benefits of the Enhanced Cures hex?

29. - Top - End - #959

A385 no, using a supernatural abilities is not casting a spell, even when the Su ability says it acts like one. That means also no spell resistance applies to them, can't be counterspelled, cannot be modified with metamagic, doesn't provoke AoO, doesn't require concentration check, etc.
    Last edited by DrMartin; 2023-02-10 at 01:26 AM.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    A 384 No, a combat maneuver isn't an unarmed strike regardless of how it's accomplished.
    Source please? Or did you mean that "this is how you personally would rule it"?