New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default I think Wee Jas is the most....complex god thing in D&D

I think Wee Jas is the most complex god-thing , within D&D with many facets of her story line, instead of just being a common ideal given a face and name like other gods seem to be.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: I think Wee Jas is the most....complex god thing in D&D

I don't think I'm learned enough to say she's the most complex, but the gamemakers have definitely given me enough material on her to make her my favorite deity.

For the past two years, inevitably, one of the characters in the games I've made have had some dealings with her, making her their primary god. Notably, I don't know if any of them has actually worshiped her. She just has so much influence that she is hard to ignore.

I'm also working on a novel with her as a central figure. Doubt it'll ever get published, knowing the publishing industry as it is. Still, her personality was too much for me to ignore.
    If you have any interest, I'd love to bat around a few ideas I'm thinking about using with her, to see if they are within her character.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I dunno about that, she doesn't seem that complex and fleshed out to me, really. Sure, she is covered in some detail, but it's certainly nothing compared to the insanity that is Vecna's history. Could you give some examples on Wee Jas? I'm not finding very much, aside from standard info on the worshippers, holy days, her dogma, and a very interesting concept about her having hidden away much of her divine power in a "Well" of some sort.
    When in doubt, homebrew.
    If that doesn't work, use more homebrew.

Need more homebrew? Check out my Extended Homebrewer's Signature!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Wee Jas made it into Core, but she's really a Greyhawk god for a specific, ancient cultural group. As such, she's got the sort of detailed, seemingly contradictory theology that resembles gods from historical cultures, rather than the "we need a god of domain X for generic fantasy" that other gods tend to get.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

5. - Top - End - #5

I dunno about that, she doesn't seem that complex and fleshed out to me, really. Sure, she is covered in some detail, but it's certainly nothing compared to the insanity that is Vecna's history. Could you give some examples on Wee Jas? I'm not finding very much, aside from standard info on the worshippers, holy days, her dogma, and a very interesting concept about her having hidden away much of her divine power in a "Well" of some sort.
    Okay, if we're going to pull Vecna out...
    Vecna is definitely as much or more fleshed out than Wee Jas.

I think the point here is that Wee Jas is one of the more original D&D deities and has been substantially fleshed out enough to make her great to work with.
    Can anyone think of other deities that are at the level of Vecna and Wee Jas?

Much of the complexity of Wee Jas is pieced together from different places:
    - The Ruby Knight Vindicator Prestige Class in ToB.
    - Dragon Magazine 88 and 350.
    - On Hallowed Ground, Deities and Demigods, Complete Divine, and other deity sourcebooks.
    - Her relationships with other deities. Including her romance with her polar opposite Nerebo. Notably, Nerebo is a reverse of spellings on Oberon. People have theorized that this makes Wee Jas an alternate form of Titania.
    - The fact that she is a death god. But not a god that promotes death. She is specifically a god of Repose, which is a really unique position.
    - That she might be the single most knowledgeable being on the laws of the universe, and yet submits herself to her father and holes herself away in Acheron like a hermit.
    - Acheron. She has an Ice Palace in the deepest, darkest corner of the multiverse. Her position just gives her so much mystery.
    - Vanity. That this is in her portfolio is really interesting. Though, it's not necessarily a vanity of beauty. It is the vanity of meritocracy. You deserve to think highly of yourself if you've earned it. The ends justify the means. For this, her alignment leans towards evil.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

If nothing else, she has one of the best - if not the very best - deity-specific PrCs in 3.5, the Ruby Knight Vindicator.

And don't give me that "we can refluff it, we have the technology" hooey. Wee Jas got the originals, give her the credit.

But yeah. Not many deities can claim both LG paladins and LE necromancers under a single umbrella.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    But yeah. Not many deities can claim both LG paladins and LE necromancers under a single umbrella.
    Nothing quite as confusing and disturbing as being charged at by both paladins and blackguards under the same banner. Yeesh.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Their worship of the same god would not necessarily predispose them to work together if their other ideals are that different. I need hardly point out that schisms within a religion can be long-running, bloody affairs.
    As a DM, though, I would rule that since Wee Jas's clerics automatically channel negative rather than positive energy, she shouldn't be able to support paladins, RKV be damned. Core is higher priority than supplementals, and if you can't make an undead-turning cleric of a particular god, then you shouldn't have other characters, belonging to the same god, be able to turn undead.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    if you can't make an undead-turning cleric of a particular god, then you shouldn't have other characters, belonging to the same god, be able to turn undead.
    Hogwash!

Clearly the clerics are just "in the know" while the paladins are blind to the truth.
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #10

BardGuy

See, I think that if you want to go by the book, her paladins still channel positive energy.

If you don't want to go by RAW though? You've just found a perfect excuse to create a prestige class for your campaign. "Blackguards of Wee Jas" or something like that; paladins who use dark magic to promote good works.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Afgncaap5 View Post
    See, I think that if you want to go by the book, her paladins still channel positive energy.

If you don't want to go by RAW though? You've just found a perfect excuse to create a prestige class for your campaign. "Blackguards of Wee Jas" or something like that; paladins who use dark magic to promote good works.

Well the RKV is just nasty with someone who dips into Sanctified one, victim of a death spell or negative health? You get a chance to heal yourself, or counter whatever is trying to kill you, or just say screw it, you know your going to die anyways, and go supernova with no fear of a backlash.

Now as for paladins, I think this would also be a good time to bring up bone knight, as a good adaption of what a good aligned paladin may look like under wee jas.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon X View Post
    Okay, if we're going to pull Vecna out...
    Vecna is definitely as much or more fleshed out than Wee Jas.

I think the point here is that Wee Jas is one of the more original D&D deities and has been substantially fleshed out enough to make her great to work with.
    Can anyone think of other deities that are at the level of Vecna and Wee Jas?

Much of the complexity of Wee Jas is pieced together from different places:
    - The Ruby Knight Vindicator Prestige Class in ToB.
    - Dragon Magazine 88 and 350.
    - On Hallowed Ground, Deities and Demigods, Complete Divine, and other deity sourcebooks.
    - Her relationships with other deities. Including her romance with her polar opposite Nerebo. Notably, Nerebo is a reverse of spellings on Oberon. People have theorized that this makes Wee Jas an alternate form of Titania.
    - The fact that she is a death god. But not a god that promotes death. She is specifically a god of Repose, which is a really unique position.
    - That she might be the single most knowledgeable being on the laws of the universe, and yet submits herself to her father and holes herself away in Acheron like a hermit.
    - Acheron. She has an Ice Palace in the deepest, darkest corner of the multiverse. Her position just gives her so much mystery.
    - Vanity. That this is in her portfolio is really interesting. Though, it's not necessarily a vanity of beauty. It is the vanity of meritocracy. You deserve to think highly of yourself if you've earned it. The ends justify the means. For this, her alignment leans towards evil.
    The thing is, while Vecna has a lot written about him, I wouldn't call him fleshed out. He's basically "evil mastermind jerk", and all of his many accomplishments fall back on that theme. Compared to Wee Jas, who's got the sort of complexity and mystery that you described, I don't think he even compares.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    The thing is, while Vecna has a lot written about him, I wouldn't call him fleshed out.
    I don't think anyone would.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

what you did there... I see it
    I'm Batman...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kamin_Majere View Post
    what you did there... I see it
    [Kenstar] I don't get it. [/Kenstar] What is this blue for sarcasm? Never
    Last edited by dascarletm; 2014-04-22 at 05:21 PM.
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Vecna Looks like this,
    Show

Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Look at the way his legs are spread out. Was he a cavalryman in life?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Look at the way his legs are spread out. Was he a cavalryman in life?

No someone put him on a antimagic hat rack, his dangling and unable to get down.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

My favorite thing about Wee Jas is her relationship with death and the undead. We tend to think of gods of death as being all about undead as well, like they go hand in hand, but Wee Jas hates the undead. She tolerates them only if they're of dire importance, and destroys them as soon as they should be destroyed. Which is pretty cool.

I think Wee Jas and Olidammara are my favorite gods.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Which is a little weird, given that the Death domain, which she gives, focuses heavily on undead creation. That was always something that bothered me about the Death domain.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    The thing is, while Vecna has a lot written about him, I wouldn't call him fleshed out. He's basically "evil mastermind jerk", and all of his many accomplishments fall back on that theme. Compared to Wee Jas, who's got the sort of complexity and mystery that you described, I don't think he even compares.
    Yeah, it's kind of weird, he went from being a Dark Lord/Saurony type to a plotting schemer then he got locked up in Ravenloft, broke out and almost became the ultimate cosmic power in the multiverse, and is now a skulking schemer and not even a God of Saturday Morning Cartoon Villainy like Bane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I like the idea of a Blackguard who used to be a Paladin and never, not once, wavered in her devotion to Wee Jas.

I also like the idea of a colour-based "red and blue" team up between a RKV and a Sapphire Hierarch (although the latter might be a little upset at the former's tolerance of magic when used for certain purposes the latter thinks goes against the laws of nature).

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Which is a little weird, given that the Death domain, which she gives, focuses heavily on undead creation. That was always something that bothered me about the Death domain.
    IMC I replace it with the Repose domain.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/dom...m#reposeDomain

The other option is that the undead can only be created with the express permission of a high priest, and only for a limited purpose, and they have to be controlled at all times and destroyed if they get controlled by someone else (and destroyed anyhow when their usefulness is at an end).

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    My favorite thing about Wee Jas is her relationship with death and the undead. We tend to think of gods of death as being all about undead as well, like they go hand in hand, but Wee Jas hates the undead. She tolerates them only if they're of dire importance, and destroys them as soon as they should be destroyed. Which is pretty cool.

I think Wee Jas and Olidammara are my favorite gods.
    Honestly, I'm really just wondering why so many of the D&D death gods seem to love undeath so much. I can't think of anyone from real world mythology who would and it doesn't even make too much sense from an ingame perspective. Gods get the souls of their worshippers when said worshippers die. They don't get them when they become undead. Promoting undeath seems a great way of draining your own power.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Honestly, I'm really just wondering why so many of the D&D death gods seem to love undeath so much. I can't think of anyone from real world mythology who would and it doesn't even make too much sense from an ingame perspective. Gods get the souls of their worshippers when said worshippers die. They don't get them when they become undead. Promoting undeath seems a great way of draining your own power.
    A lich of Vecna can harm Pelor by raising pelorites as ghouls. (It goes without saying that they are raised is against their will)
    Wee Jas considers such an act to be unjustifiable despite the practical benefits.

That is why I like Wee Jas, she is not type-ist like Pelor and still has a better heart than Vecna.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2014-04-23 at 02:17 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees1 View Post
    A lich of Vecna can harm Pelor by raising pelorites as ghouls. (It goes without saying that they are raised is against their will)
    Wee Jas considers such an act to be unjustifiable despite the practical benefits.

That is why I like Wee Jas, she is not type-ist like Pelor and still has a better heart than Vecna.

Not sure where this is coming from, she is not against raising the dead, unless it is against the law to do such.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CyberThread View Post
    Not sure where this is coming from, she is not against raising the dead, unless it is against the law to do such.
    When I read the Dragon Magazine article it I though I read something about her only being okay with intelligent undead if the souls were willing. Especially if they are souls from her people(Suel?).

So she would be against a necromancer trapping a soul in the body of an intelligent undead against its will.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2014-04-23 at 03:02 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Yeah, it's kind of weird, he went from being a Dark Lord/Saurony type to a plotting schemer then he got locked up in Ravenloft, broke out and almost became the ultimate cosmic power in the multiverse, and is now a skulking schemer and not even a God of Saturday Morning Cartoon Villainy like Bane.
    So, in other words, Wee Jas is your archetypical sorceress, or cold or evil queen, or any number of magnificent tropes that can be applied to a beautiful and powerful woman, and Vecna... Is Skeletor.

29. - Top - End - #29

Kelemvor is similar in that sense. Death is a part of life, undead are abominations and need to be exterminated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Kelemvor is the same, only without the toleration if they're of dire importance.

Makes sense, if you think about it. Undeath is rather in opposition to Death.
    Last edited by Talya; 2014-04-23 at 09:05 AM.