New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread VI: Return of the Red Die

Q 119a: For the purposes of e.g. Slashing Grace, does a "slashing weapon" include weapons that deal multiple types of damage? That is, could you take Slashing Grace with a dagger, or is a dagger not a "slashing weapon" because it's not exclusively slashing? I'm not sure if "slashing weapon" is actually defined somewhere.

Q 119b: If you select a dagger with Slashing Grace, could you use the dagger to deal piercing damage and still gain the benefits of the feat?

2. - Top - End - #272
    Spamalot in the Playground

A119: Yes, weapons that do slashing + something else are slashing weapons. Rather than waste a precious feat though, I'd simply put the Agile property on my dagger.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #273
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A119: Yes, weapons that do slashing + something else are slashing weapons. Rather than waste a precious feat though, I'd simply put the Agile property on my dagger.
    If so, is it RAW-allowed to use said slashing weapon to do piercing damage while using Slashing Grace?

As for agile, in the campaign I'm currently in, buying and crafting are both heavily limited so that wasn't going to be a reliable option.

4. - Top - End - #274

Slashing Grace works with either damage type as written, yes. As long as the weapon itself qualifies (i.e. can do slashing damage) the specific type of damage you use doesn't "switch off" the feat.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

5. - Top - End - #275
    Halfling in the Playground

Q120 If you cast a grease spell then another grease spell the following round in the same area
    does everyone have to make another reflex save or does it have no effect other than duration?

6. - Top - End - #276
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

A120: They need to make another save. The spell says anyone in the area makes a save at the time of the cast, with no clause that prevents it if the ground was already greased.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grease
    A grease spell covers a solid surface with a layer of slippery grease. Any creature in the area when the spell is cast must make a successful Reflex save or fall.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q121
    Can bards use performances which rely on visual components, such as fascinate, if they have not ranks in a visual perform skill?

8. - Top - End - #278

A121: A better question might be which performances lack a visual component - I'd argue strongly that all of them have one.

But yes, if you somehow found one that didn't, you couldn't fascinate people with it.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #279

DwarfClericGuy

Q. 122: Are you immune to stun if you are under the effects of the spell gaseous form?

Q. 123: A character wearing a ring of invisibility attacks who also has pounce. Since all the attacks happen at the same moment, assuming the victim wasn't aware of the attack beforehand, would every attack do sneak attack damage (if applicable)? Thanks

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

A122: No. Gaseous form explicitly states what conditions/attacks you become immune to. Namely, poison, sneak attacks, and critical hits. You would still lose your turn if you became stunned, although you wouldn't need to drop what you're holding on account that you aren't carrying anything....

A123 No. A Ring of Invisibility allows to wearer to cast invisibility on themselves. According to the PFSRD, invisibility ends when a creature attacks, not after they've finished their action. The first attack of the pounce would gain the benefits of sneak attack since the target would be denied their dexterity bonus to AC due to being unaware of the attack. From then on, the target is aware of their attacker, (assuming this is not a surprise round, but then you wouldn't be able to perform a full-attack action anyways), and you are no longer invisible.
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

11. - Top - End - #281

DwarfClericGuy

OK thanks. Our interpretation of pounce was that every attack happens at once, so there's no 'first attack' so much as the entire attack is the first attack. But after re-reading pounce- it just allows you to make a full attack and doesn't say anything about them all going off at once. I did like the idea of a pouncer not being able to call off other attacks (like if she/he finds out the victim has a fire shield up), but oh well.

12. - Top - End - #282

A123 Addendum: Attacks during a full-attack are fast, but do not happen at the exact same moment. You can actually see how every attack turns out before assigning the next one - for example, if there is more than one target within reach and you kill the first one with your first couple of hits, youare free to assign any attacks you have left to the second target. You can also 5-foot-step once between any of the attacks in a full-attack without interrupting it.

As for "calling off other attacks" - you can explicitly (but only) do that after the first attack, replacing all your remaining attacks with a move action. So if you hit once and discover the foe has a fire shield, you can indeed stop and avoid taking a bunch of damage.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 124

A few questions regarding the Training weapon special ability and the Weapon Focus feat

124-A: Can you create a weapon with a non-specific WF? eg: can you have a +1 Longsword of Training with grants a generic "Weapon Focus", which you then apply to any weapon you want?

124-B: Assuming the previous answer is "No, the creator needs to specify it" does the weapon and the WF feat need be one and the same? Eg: Can you have a +1 Longsword of Training which gives WF:Short sword?

124-C: Does the creator need to have "Weapon Focus" for the specific weapon you want?
    eg: could a Wizard with WF:Rays create a Training weapon with WF:Short sword?
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2019-08-29 at 05:33 PM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

A 124a No, Weapon Focus requires a weapon to be focused on, regardless of how you get Weapon Focus.

A 124b No, it just needs to be a combat feat; it doesn't need to be applicable to the training weapon.

A 124c
    Quote Originally Posted by Inner Sea Intrigue, Training
    Requirements Craft Magic Arms and Armor, magic weapon, creator must have the chosen combat feat and its prerequisites
    You could increase the creation DC by 5 to get around that requirement, though, as normal.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

15. - Top - End - #285
    Halfling in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q125

How does the feat Sap Master
    Spoiler
    Show
    Whenever you use a bludgeoning weapon to deal nonlethal sneak attack damage to a flat-footed opponent, roll your sneak attack dice twice, totaling the results as your nonlethal sneak attack damage for that attack.
    interact with the bleed damage caused by the rogue talent Bleeding Attack
    Spoiler
    Show
    A rogue with this ability can cause living opponents to bleed by hitting them with a sneak attack. This attack causes the target to take 1 additional point of damage each round for each die of the rogue’s sneak attack (e.g., 4d6 equals 4 points of bleed).
    if at all? i.e. does the bleed damage key off of the rogue's Sneak Attack dice (per level) or the actual number of dice rolled?
    Last edited by Von Zinzer; 2019-08-30 at 09:06 PM. Reason: added bold
    Generation 6
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

A 125 Bleeding attack keys of the Rogue's Sneak attack dice according to their level. It's a subtle (and perhaps debatable) distinction. But Bleeding Attack doesn't say the damage is equal to the number of dice rolled.

Sap Master supports this by saying "roll Sneak Attack Dice twice", not "your sneak attack dice are doubled" suggesting that Sneak Attack Dice are a distinct entity.
    Last edited by TheFamilarRaven; 2019-09-01 at 05:16 PM.
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 126
    Bardic Countersong/counter of sightbased effects. What does this mean? If the party has a bard performing a dance-counter sightbased-, are they immune to a baselisks gaze attack? Is it the same with a banshees wail, or does this ability only counters illusions and other bard's performances? What can a bard counter?

Currently playing:
    Gardin Farawyn Saskeon of Efteria, Elven Bard und Oracle
    Faire Camoretta, Halfling Monk.

18. - Top - End - #288

A126: Countersong and Distraction are both explicit about what they can counter:

Countersong (Su): At 1st level, a bard learns to counter magic effects that depend on sound (but not spells that have verbal components.) Each round of the countersong he makes a Perform (keyboard, percussion, wind, string, or sing) skill check. Any creature within 30 feet of the bard (including the bard himself) that is affected by a sonic or language-dependent magical attack may use the bard’s Perform check result in place of its saving throw if, after the saving throw is rolled, the Perform check result proves to be higher. If a creature within range of the countersong is already under the effect of a non-instantaneous sonic or language-dependent magical attack, it gains another saving throw against the effect each round it hears the countersong, but it must use the bard’s Perform skill check result for the save. Countersong does not work on effects that don’t allow saves. Countersong relies on audible components.

Distraction (Su): At 1st level, a bard can use his performance to counter magic effects that depend on sight. Each round of the Distraction, he makes a Perform (act, comedy, dance, or oratory) skill check. Any creature within 30 feet of the bard (including the bard himself) that is affected by an illusion (pattern) or illusion (figment) magical attack may use the bard’s Perform check result in place of its saving throw if, after the saving throw is rolled, the Perform check result proves to be higher. If a creature within range of the Distraction is already under the effect of a non-instantaneous illusion (pattern) or illusion (figment) magical attack, it gains another saving throw against the effect each round it sees the Distraction, but it must use the bard’s Perform check result for the save. Distraction does not work on effects that don’t allow saves. Distraction relies on visual components.
    A gaze attack is not a figment or pattern, so Distraction provides no protection from it. A banshee's wail works like Wail of the Banshee, which is a sonic effect, so Countersong should work against it (though the sicken effect works even if you save, so Countersong does nothing there.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

Dunno if we want to break out PF2e questions to a separate thread but I guess for now this is where I'll ask my first one.

Q 127 Do Monks have a different casting stat for Ki powers than the stat they use for their class DC, like Champions have Strength for their Class DC but Charisma for determining their Devotion spell's attack modifier and save DC? I can't find anything in the class or in the spellcasting chapter that says they use a different stat except in Innate spells, which Focus spells are not.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Q128

Is there any way that I can make a character (either Human, Half Elf, or Tiefling) who is consistently able to mimic voices without relying an item or something that has limited uses in a day?
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

21. - Top - End - #291

A128: Yes - the Bluff skill can apparently be used to mimic voices, as evidenced by the Mummer's Ruff item. Even if you rule that you can only use Bluff this way if you have the item in question, there are still no limitations on its use, so have your character buy one and then optimize your Bluff check through various other means.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #292
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

A128, addendum:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Intrigue
    Disguise Is More Than Visual: Though the skill as presented in the Core Rulebook focuses on the visual aspects of disguise that a character prepares, later rules (such as the vocal alteration spell; see page 248 of Pathfinder RPG Ultimate Magic) have made it clear that there are other aspects, including voice, mannerisms, and phrasing. The trick is to distinguish between the use of the Bluff and the Disguise skills. Generally, Bluff checks cover telling actual lies to support a disguise, whereas Disguise checks cover the other aspects, such as imitating mannerisms and speech.
    Vocal Alteration also lends credence to disguise being the skill for vocal impersonation:
    Quote Originally Posted by Vocal Alteration
    [...] If this spell is used as part of a disguise, the target gets a +10 bonus on the Disguise check when trying to fool a listener. [...]
    I think it could be argued either way, but the passage from UI is the most directly-RAW thing I've seen.

23. - Top - End - #293

So the short answer is - pump Bluff and Disguise as much as possible, which any character can do.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Q129

Is it possible to Turn an undead swarm?
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

25. - Top - End - #295
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

A129: Yes. The only thing that seems like it would be applicable is this part:
    A swarm is immune to any spell or effect that targets a specific number of creatures (including single-target spells such as disintegrate), with the exception of mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, morale effects, patterns, and phantasms) if the swarm has an Intelligence score and a hive mind.
    Turn undead doesn't affect a specific number of creatures ("to cause all undead within 30 feet of you"), so this clause wouldn't exclude it. I don't see anything else about swarms that would exclude Turn Undead or anything about Turn Undead that would exclude swarms.
    Last edited by Elysiume; 2019-09-15 at 11:32 PM.

26. - Top - End - #296

A129 addendum: In 3.5, turning swarms is actually easier than turning normal creatures (the swarm counts as only having half HD). I would recommend bringing that ruling to PF. Of course, turning in PF doesn't work off HD, so you would have a bit more work to do for a conversion. One way to represent this ease might be to treat the undead swarm as if it had a number of "pseudo-negative levels" equal to half its HD, then recalculate its will save to avoid being turned or commanded accordingly.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Q130: I recently picked up a Page of Spell Knowledge with the Shadow Projection spell on it for my Bard (12)/sorcerer (1) character

Would i actually be able to use it? My reasoning is that like scrolls and wands, my one sorcerer level means that the spell is still technically "on my spell list", and i'm able to cast 4th level spells due to my bard levels, so i still have 4th level spell-slots to cast from.

is that... legal? Or would i specifically need enough levels in sorcerer to get access to 4th level spell slots in order to cast it?

@V well nuts.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2019-09-16 at 11:17 AM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #298

A130: The latter - you're allowed to use sorcerer pages generally, but you don't have the 4th-level sorcerer slots actually needed to cast this specific spell. (You could use a page of a 1st-level sorcerer spell just fine.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #299
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 131: if a cleric did not have 8h of uniterrupted rest, will they still be able to focus energy and use domain powers?

Currently playing:
    Gardin Farawyn Saskeon of Efteria, Elven Bard und Oracle
    Faire Camoretta, Halfling Monk.

30. - Top - End - #300

A 131: Yes. Channel energy and the domain powers are per day abilities and simply resets at midnight.

They can even prepare spells without rest.

A divine spellcaster chooses and prepares spells ahead of time, but unlike a wizard, does not require a period of rest to prepare spells.
    Last edited by Firest Kathon; 2019-09-18 at 04:38 AM.