New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 40 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread VI: Return of the Red Die

A 249 You have to activate Lingering Pain after you hit. If you wait until your turn ends, it's no longer after the hit, so you've allowed the trigger to expire. As you've specified that you have already used your swift during the turn, you're ineligible to use an immediate action, which according to the CRB:
    Quote Originally Posted by Combat, Immediate Actions
    Using an immediate action on your turn is the same as using a swift action and counts as your swift action for that turn.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

2. - Top - End - #572
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q250
    Subjects of Raise Dead and similar know the alignment of the caster and can choose to ignore the call back to life, yes?

What of oozes and vermin and other mindless entities. Without a mind they dont have the mentality to make that decision, that choice.

Do they just come in back to life?

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ogre in the Playground

A250

Actually, the pathfinder version of Raise Dead makes no stipulation that the creature being raised knows who is resurrecting them, much less their alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by PFSRD
    You restore life to a deceased creature. You can raise a creature that has been dead for no longer than 1 day per caster level. In addition, the subject’s soul must be free and willing to return. If the subject’s soul is not willing to return, the spell does not work; therefore, a subject that wants to return receives no saving throw.
    Mindless creatures act on instinct, so if their instinct tells them to be alive rather than dead, then they'll accept the raise dead attempt.
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheFamilarRaven View Post
    A250

Actually, the pathfinder version of Raise Dead makes no stipulation that the creature being raised knows who is resurrecting them, much less their alignment.
    Actually this is incorrect - Pathfinder does contain this stipulation, it's just not contained in the Raise Dead entry. Instead, it's part of the general Magic chapter and applies to all spells that return creatures to life. CRB 208:

Revivification against One’s Will

A soul can’t be returned to life if it doesn’t wish to be. A soul knows the name, alignment, and patron deity (if any) of the character attempting to revive it and may refuse to return on that basis.
    With that said, it's questionable whether an ooze has enough of a "soul" to be raised in the first place - but if it does, I'd imagine that it wouldn't be able to process any of the information being provided by the spell, and simply want to return out of sheer self-preservation if nothing else.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #575
    Titan in the Playground

Q 251

If I cast a spell with duration "1 round", does the duration end at the start of my next turn or the end of it?
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

6. - Top - End - #576

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Q 251

If I cast a spell with duration "1 round", does the duration end at the start of my next turn or the end of it?
    Start of your next turn. Relevant rule is in the CRB:

Effects that last a certain number of rounds end just before the same initiative count that they began on.
    Remember, it was active for the turn/round you cast it on too, so if it was active until the end of your next turn it would actually be two turns/rounds.

So for example - if you cast Vanish at level 1, you have enough time to take a move action (and maybe a swift+immediate if you have those) while invisible, before the spell runs out - you won't have time to do another standard action on your following turn.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #577

Q252

the Gongorinan's Oviposition SU ability says it otherwise works like Baleful Polymorph.
    Baleful Polymorph only allows small and smaller animals.

Oviposition can turn a creature into a animal, aberration, magical beast, or vermin.

It's obvious that the type restriction of the linked baleful Polymorph is overridden by the Oviposition ability.

What about the size limitation?
    Does that word "a" override the small and smaller limitation?

EDIT It doesnt say any. It says "a".
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2020-08-01 at 01:26 PM.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ettin in the Playground

A 252 RAW, it didn't override the size or HD restriction of Baleful Polymorph, so those both are still in effect for Oviposition. The only differences are the expanded choice of creature type and the autofail of the Will save of BP.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

9. - Top - End - #579
    Titan in the Playground

Q 253: Will someone realize they've been targeted by some kind of charm spell if they succeed the save, but didn't realize the person was casting it?

Lets say i'm attempting to cast a "Charm person" spell on someone stealthily, be it from a hidden location, or right in front of them with some means of disguising or avoiding the obvious casting (i.e. still spell and silent spell for example). The target has failed their perception check to know i'm casting a spell, but they succeeded on their will save to avoid being charmed. Are they aware that someone tried to charm them? or are they blissfully ignorant? What about when the charm ends?

I know you become aware of the spell "Dominate person" being used on you when you fail the save and then the duration expires, but what about Charm?

@V Good to know! thanks!
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2020-08-01 at 11:47 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #580
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 253

You're aware that you shook off some kind of effect, but you don't know specifically what it was.

A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

11. - Top - End - #581

A253 addendum: A spell merely being still and silent doesn't make it automatically impossible for an onlooker/target to notice. In PF, spells generally carry visual or otherwise cosmetic displays (e.g. the glowy hand-circles seen in art, like those on the cover of the Core Rulebook.) There are feats and abilities that help you to misdirect such observers from noticing these displays, but they always provide characters a chance to notice what you're doing.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #582

Q254

Does an Arcanotheign's Command Undead feat actually DO anything since it's only listed channel ability doesn't even channel negative or positive energy?

Q255
    What is the caster level of the Bloodless Vessel's SLAs?
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2020-08-03 at 06:03 PM.

13. - Top - End - #583

A254: Even though their channel energy doesn't specify negative energy, this is most likely the ability they're intended to use to power that feat.

A255: SLA caster levels default to the monster's HD unless otherwise specified.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #584
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Q255
    What is the caster level of the Bloodless Vessel's SLAs?
    A255: Caster level 10, as listed in the statblock under "Offense".

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ogre in the Playground

Q256
    Does a negative level affect your actual character level for the purposes of working out the effects of spells that are dependent on the target's level - e.g. Holy Word?
    From the RAW, it doesn't seem to say so - the closest it gets is that level-dependent variables such as spellcasting are affected for the character who has the negative level (i.e. your Fireball is one dice smaller).
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2020-08-06 at 08:18 AM. Reason: typo

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ettin in the Playground

A 256 No. Filler to also say 'no'.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

17. - Top - End - #587
    Titan in the Playground

Q257: If i have a Ring of Spell Knowledge that is currently holding the spell "A", Is it permanently locked like that? Or could i overwrite "A" and replace it with the spell "B" using the same ring?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #588

A257: As written, nothing stops you from teaching a new spell to the ring, "overwriting" one that's already in it. It holds a single spell and there are rules for teaching it a spell, but the teaching rule does not require the ring to be empty.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #589
    Pixie in the Playground

Q258: The feat Kobold Flood allows you to make a grapple check to force an opponent to stay prone, it never states that you nor your opponent become grappled, but at the end it has the confusing clause of "For the target to stand, it must succeed at a combat maneuver check to break your grapple." When using the Kobold Flood Feat do you become grappled as part of the usage of the feat?

Q259: For feats, like Kobold Flood, where you replace the usual effect of a combat maneuver with another effect does it still provoke an Attack of Opportunity if you lack the 'improved (maneuver)' feat?

Q260: The Mouser Archetype of Swashbuckler's ability 'underfoot assault' allows them to move into their opponent's space, it has a second clause stating how the Mouser reacts while in that space. If a mouser moves into their opponent's space in a way other than using underfoot assault do they still have the advantages of the 'underfoot assault's second clause?

Q261: Tiny and smaller creatures are explicitly spelled out as being able to attack things in their own square. Can any creature make an attack against a creature within their own square?

Q261b: A creature with a reach weapon does not usually threaten within 5 feet of themselves. If a creature can attack a creature in their own space, can they do so while wielding a reach weapon?

Thank you so much for your time! I understand that these may be up to interpretation, but appreciate any attempts! ((sorry there are so many))
    Last edited by Zeros; 2020-08-12 at 01:20 PM.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Ettin in the Playground

A 258 Kobold Flood doesn't replace the normal grapple effect of performing a grapple combat maneuver, it adds an additional effect when you grapple in that specific circumstance. So you and your target are both grappled, as normal.

A 259 Yes.

A 260 No.

A 261 Yes.

A 261b If they use a weapon that isn't the reach weapon, yes, like if you change the reach weapon to one hand and punch it with the now free hand with a gauntlet or unarmed attack.
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2020-08-13 at 08:05 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

21. - Top - End - #591
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks, 3.5 more

Q262: Does your own square count as adjacent? For example, if you were a swashbuckler mouser archetype with 'step up' and your opponent 5-foot stepped away from you, could you use step up to move to the 'adjacent' square that is their own square?

Q263: If you grapple an opponent, and thus are the controlling grappler, is it possible to make full round attacks while grappling the opponent?

Q263b: If your opponent has grappled you, and thus they are the controlling grappler, is it possible for you to make full round attacks while they are grappling you?

Q264: According to the climb skill you need 2 hands free to climb, but the boarding axe when in hand provides a +2 circumstance bonus to climb. Can you climb while wielding a boarding axe?
    Last edited by Zeros; 2020-08-13 at 10:26 PM.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeros View Post
    Thanks, 3.5 more

Q262: Does your own square count as adjacent? For example, if you were a swashbuckler mouser archetype with 'step up' and your opponent 5-foot stepped away from you, could you use step up to move to the 'adjacent' square that is their own square?
    A262: The same square as an opponent is by definition not adjacent to them.

Q263: If you grapple an opponent, and thus are the controlling grappler, is it possible to make full round attacks while grappling the opponent?
    A263: Maintaining a Grapple typically takes a standard action, but if you could reduce maintaining to a Swift or below, yes.

Q263b: If your opponent has grappled you, and thus they are the controlling grappler, is it possible for you to make full round attacks while they are grappling you?
    A263B: Yes, though not with a 2H weapon.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ettin in the Playground

A 264 By RAW, no, unless you have more than 2 hands. RAI, I think the boarding axe is supposed to give you a grip on surfaces you wouldn't otherwise find a grip, so it's intended that you should be able to climb while wielding one.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

24. - Top - End - #594
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 265

In regards to the Path of War Elemental Flux maneuver Energy Spark:

You fill the air with elemental energy, which explodes as you strike your target. When you make an attack (including a strike), you can initiate this boost to fire a ray of energy at a creature within 30 feet. This ray requires a ranged touch attack to hit and deals 3d6 points of damage of your active element’s associated energy type.

The wording has me confused. Does this maneuver change the original attack into the ray or is the ray in addition to the original attack? Also if the original attack was a strike does the ray apply the strike's effects?

Thanks

25. - Top - End - #595

A264 addendum: This is the same kind of issue as the Dan Bong with grapples. PF unfortunately hasn't been very clear on the designer intent with weapons that are intended to give a bonus to things that need your hands to be free.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ogre in the Playground

A 265: The is ray a separate attack that is triggered by either an attack or a strike. You can target the creature you just attacked, or another creature within 30ft by activating this boost. And as a maneuver, this ranged attack does not provoke an AoO.

Note how the is no language that says the strike or attack is altered to be a ray. The only language is that when an attack or strike is made, you can initiate the boost to fire a ray, implying it's an addition to the regular action, as many boosts are.
    Last edited by TheFamilarRaven; 2020-08-14 at 08:13 PM.
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Hello, can you help me?

Q 266: As a fighter I can take feat - Advanced armor training at 3rd level and select one Advanced armor training option. There is Master Armorer from which I get Craft Magic Arms and Armor and Master Craftsman feats. How does work Master Craftsman in case of character of 3rd lvl?

Q 267: Do Brawler stack level with Fighter to determine AC from Advanced armor training -Armor specialization, due to Martial Training?
    Last edited by MizuDevil; 2020-08-17 at 01:17 AM.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ettin in the Playground

A 266 Like it normally does; your effective CL for making magic armor is 3, equal to your BAB as per Master Armorer, so you can make +1 armor and shields.

A 267 The general rules for hybrid classes is that they don't stack with their parent class unless specified. Brawler's Martial Training doesn't say it stacks with Fighter levels, so they don't.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 268 Does a dueling dagger in the off-hand interfere with Aldori Swordlord/Aldori defender/Duelist abilities?
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Chivalry View Post
    Q 268 Does a dueling dagger in the off-hand interfere with Aldori Swordlord/Aldori defender/Duelist abilities?
    A268:
    Duelist: No, so long as you don't attack with it.

Swordlord: Yes. You cannot wield an offhand weapon or shield at all.

Defender: No, there is no mention of hands at all.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2020-08-17 at 10:59 PM.