New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread VI: Return of the Red Die

Q 269: If a Monk archetype trades away the Stunning Fist class feature, but the Monk later selects it as one of his normal feats, does he gain any of the improved benefits of the feat that he normally would? Some of the increased benefits of Stunning First are contained in the monk class feature (like the ability to inflict conditions other than dazed), but others are contained in the text for the feat itself (like how many times per day the Monk can use it). RAW, it seems to me like the Monk would gain the increased uses-per-day but not the ability to inflict other conditions, but I might be wrong.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KatsOfLoathing View Post
    Q 269: If a Monk archetype trades away the Stunning Fist class feature, but the Monk later selects it as one of his normal feats, does he gain any of the improved benefits of the feat that he normally would? Some of the increased benefits of Stunning First are contained in the monk class feature (like the ability to inflict conditions other than dazed), but others are contained in the text for the feat itself (like how many times per day the Monk can use it). RAW, it seems to me like the Monk would gain the increased uses-per-day but not the ability to inflict other conditions, but I might be wrong.
    A 269: Based on the text of the Feat itself, you get the extra uses per day, since you are still a Monk, and "A monk may attempt a stunning attack a number of times per day equal to his monk level, plus one more time per day for every four levels he has in classes other than monk."

But you would not gain the ability to inflict other conditions, as that is a function of the class feature "Stunning Fist" which is separate from the Feat "Stunning Fist" (see also: the difference between the Alchemist's Throw Anything class feature and the Throw Anything Feat). In short, I see no reason your original interpretation would be incorrect.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q270

Would the Alter Ego, Trompe L'oeil, Simulacrum or similar of a character with a Tulpa have a Tulpa of its own?

4. - Top - End - #604
    Pixie in the Playground

Q271: When attacking from invisibility with more than one attack, does the target lose its dexterity bonus to AC for all the attacks or just the first attack?

Q272: When attacking from being stealthed with more than one attack, does the target lose its dexterity bonus t AC for all the attacks or just the first attack?

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ettin in the Playground

A 271/272 These both run off the Stealth rules, Invisibility just grants a hefty bonus to stealth. So after your first attack, your position is given away, so you're no longer creating the conditions where you're catching the target flat-footed. There are mitigations to this, such as Greater Invisibility, where it doesn't end after an attack, or Sniping, in which you immediately rehide after attacking from range.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

6. - Top - End - #606
    Pixie in the Playground

Q273: Jaguar Pounce from the slayer talent options. It allows you to get a free trip attempt as an immediate action when you successfully deal sneak attack damage. If you deal sneak attack damage with a ranged weapon (from within 30 feet), would you still be able to make a trip attempt with that attack despite being at ranged?

7. - Top - End - #607
    Spamalot in the Playground

yuk Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread VI: Return of the Red Die

A270: No data available.

A273: These maneuvers are melee-only by default - an ability that invokes them must specifically say it is usable at range for you to override that restriction.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #608
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Q274:If fighters Bravery was replaced to Unflinching by Unbreakable archetype, will Sash of the War Champion magic items increase Unflinching as do with Bravery?

9. - Top - End - #609
    Titan in the Playground

Q275: looking at Seducer's Eyes as a spell, while Inner Sea Gods is fine for our campaign, there is a bit of confusion on it. Apparently some spells in Inner Sea Gods require the caster to be a follower of a specific god. My character follows no gods, but some at my table think Seducer's Eyes might be a spell for followers of Calistria only. Can anyone confirm / deny?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #610

A274: As written no, because Unflinching doesn't say it counts as Bravery for X.

That archetype in general is pretty weak, because giving up Weapon Training and Armor Training means you (a) lose access to the advanced versions which contain a lot of Fighter buffs and (b) you become incompatible with a lot of far better archetypes. In fact, one of the advanced weapon training options lets you apply Bravery to all your will saves anyway, and that's just one option among many.

A275: You don't have to be Calistrian; though if you're not, your GM may require you to use the research rules. From the beginning of the spells chapter:

Many of the spells in this chapter originated with the faithful of a particular deity and are more common among the worshipers of that god. Such spells are denoted with the god’s name in parentheses after the spell’s name. Worshipers of a spell’s associated deity always treat the spell as common, and need not research it in order to prepare or learn it. Despite this, all the spells in this chapter are available to members of other faiths, though some temples or religious organizations may proscribe the use of specific spells. Additionally, arcane spellcasters have unlocked the secrets of casting particular spells.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #611
    Banned

Q276

I have Question about grab. Grab RAW:

"If a creature with this special attack hits with the indicated attack (usually a claw or bite attack), it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. Unless otherwise noted, grab can only be used against targets of a size equal to or smaller than the creature with this ability. If the creature can use grab on creatures of other sizes, it is noted in the creature’s Special Attacks line. The creature has the option to conduct the grapple normally, or simply use the part of its body it used in the grab to hold the opponent. If it chooses to do the latter, it takes a –20 penalty on its CMB check to make and maintain the grapple, but does not gain the grappled condition itself. A successful hold does not deal any extra damage unless the creature also has the constrict special attack. If the creature does not constrict, each successful grapple check it makes during successive rounds automatically deals the damage indicated for the attack that established the hold. Otherwise, it deals constriction damage as well (the amount is given in the creature’s descriptive text).

Creatures with the grab special attack receive a +4 bonus on combat maneuver checks made to start and maintain a grapple."

I Have question about this part " If the creature does not constrict, each successful grapple check it makes during successive rounds automatically deals the damage indicated for the attack that established the hold."

If i have 3 Natural attacks with grab, when i am making full attack action on a successful 1st attack with this natural attack I can grapple enemy. Then I can make 2nd and 3rd natural attack as part of full attack action and after each of them i can make grapple check (if i successfully hited them). Will it make bonus damage to enemy for a successful grapple check after 1st one?

12. - Top - End - #612
    Bugbear in the Playground

A276: No. Key words from your quote: "during successive rounds". The Grapple check included with Grab is made to start a grapple, not maintain it. Once a grapple is started (both opponents getting the grappled condition), Grab becomes redundant. So you don't get the damage from maintaining a grapple by hitting several Grabs, just like you couldn't start a grapple, reposition the opponent and pin it in the same turn with several Grabs.
    As a rule, you don't start and maintain a grapple in the same round.
    You could however, Grab a creature several times in the same round, by releasing the grapple every time as a free action before attacking again. It wouldn't get you the damage from maintaining the grapple though.
    Last edited by Seto; 2020-08-22 at 04:40 PM.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Q277:
    Dervish Sikke:
    In addition, the bonuses granted by a bard’s inspire courage and inspire competence class features are increased by 1.
    Dawnflower Dervish:
    This works like bardic performance, except that the Dawnflower dervish’s performances grant double their normal bonuses, but these bonuses only affect him.
    Would a level 1 Dawnflower Dervish (whose inspire courage normally gives +1) get +3 (double, then add one) or +4 (add one, then double) from their battle dance?
    Last edited by Elysiume; 2020-08-23 at 10:36 PM.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Titan in the Playground

A227: Looks like it should be +4. It changes the bonus to +2, then doubles it.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q278

A medium humanoid carrying either his light or medium load (i do not recall which) climbs down a hewn stone airshaft at a steep angle (practically straight down but not quite). The shaft is sqared so there are corners to brace against.
    The character is a third level unchained barbarian and is carrying a small character who is so light they're nearly tiny size. He had to remove his armor to make the DC.
    Their normal move speed is 30 ft.

If they climb almost straight down for a day and a night how far have they gone?

I'm trying to get them from the foothills of the Aspodell Mountains north of Piren's Bluff down into the Gallery of Wonders or even deeper into Candlestone Caverns.
    I told them they'd climbed a day and a night but I was guessing and now I'm second guessing that guess. Assistance would be appreciated.
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2020-08-25 at 03:20 PM.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 278

A character with a movement speed of 40 feet (30 feet with a medium load) can normally climb 20 feet (15 feet) per round double moving.

Assuming from the description of the scenario that the character is able to meet the DC by taking 10, he can climb continuously without risk of falling.

However, for traveling over long distances, the rules assume slower movement or rest breaks will use up half your movement speed, so we must measure using a speed of 10 feet (~ 7.5 feet). Extrapolating from the table for Movement and Distance, he can climb 8 miles (6 miles) in a standard 8 hour day, or 1 mile per hour (0.75 mph), without becoming fatigued.

Trying to move faster or longer will risk fatigue and nonlethal damage. Every extra hour of moving requires a Constitution check with a DC starting at 10 and increasing by 2 for every additional hour. Failing this check results in fatigue and 1d6 nonlethal damage.

Under these conditions, climbing a full 24 hours is barely possible, although having a way to heal the nonlethal damage that will start to accrue definitely makes it doable. If done, the character will have climbed down 24 miles (18 miles if encumbered).
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Q279: In Brawler’s Flurry says that "She does not need to use two different weapons to use this ability.". So if I have only one weapon in my main hand I can make Two-wepon fighting with it using Brawler`s flurry?

18. - Top - End - #618
    Ettin in the Playground

A 279 Yes, or if you have one weapon that takes up both your hands that otherwise meets the requirements of Brawler's Flurry, like a Sansetsukon.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

19. - Top - End - #619
    Troll in the Playground

Q 280

Do fast healing and regeneration stack? Ex: If I have fast healing 1 and regeneration 1 do I heal 1 or 2 HP a turn?

20. - Top - End - #620
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    Q 280

Do fast healing and regeneration stack? Ex: If I have fast healing 1 and regeneration 1 do I heal 1 or 2 HP a turn?
    A280: They do not stack, but they can sometimes overlap in favorable ways. Eg. if you have Regeneration 5/Acid but Fast Healing 3 (with no shutoff circumstance), you still get Fast Healing 3 when doused with
    acid.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Troll in the Playground

And Zamiel is back again!

Q 281
    If I have a weapon with rend twice do I apply both if I fulfill the condition or do I just pick the larger of the two?

22. - Top - End - #622
    Troll in the Playground

Q 282 Is there a way for a Gunslinger to use Int instead of Wis for his Grit Points?
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

A282: Siege Gunner from Inner Sea Combat has:
    Grit (Ex): A siege gunner relies less on luck and intuition and more on cold calculation and wit. The number of grit points a siege gunner gains each day and her maximum grit are based on the siege gunner’s Intelligence modifier rather than her Wisdom modifier.
    The rest of it is...very siege-weapon focused, as you might imagine.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Q283a:
    Quote Originally Posted by Symbol of Death
    As a default, a symbol of death is triggered whenever a creature does one or more of the following, as you select: looks at the rune; reads the rune; touches the rune; passes over the rune; or passes through a portal bearing the rune. Regardless of the trigger method or methods chosen, a creature more than 60 feet from a symbol of death can't trigger it (even if it meets one or more of the triggering conditions, such as reading the rune). Once the spell is cast, a symbol of death's triggering conditions cannot be changed.

[...]

You can also set special triggering limitations of your own. These can be as simple or elaborate as you desire. Special conditions for triggering a symbol of death can be based on a creature's name, identity, or alignment, but otherwise must be based on observable actions or qualities. Intangibles such as level, class, HD, and hit points don't qualify.
    I'm not clear as to whether "triggering limitations" means that it must be in addition to the existing triggers (e.g. "this only applies to a lawful evil creature that isn't wearing a yellow shirt") or if you could pick an entirely new one. For example, could you base the trigger on each of:
    1. A non-evil creature interrupts me while I am talking, while this symbol is exposed
    2. The object covering the sigil is removed, regardless of whether anyone is looking at or interacting with the sigil itself
    3. An evil creature enters the room without openly carrying a holy symbol of a good-aligned deity

Basically, other than the 60' limit (and general burst targeting), can you set the triggering criteria to anything observable, regardless of whether the triggering creature has interacted with the rune (including looking at or touching it)?

Q238b: If that section allows you to specify entirely new triggers, can you add multiple?
    Last edited by Elysiume; 2020-09-09 at 02:42 AM.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 281 Clarification Could you please clarify what is a "weapon with rend"? I was not able to find a rend weapon property.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Firest Kathon View Post
    Q 281 Clarification Could you please clarify what is a "weapon with rend"? I was not able to find a rend weapon property.
    I'll second this clarification request. The only thing I can find is Rending Claw Blade which explicitly states it counts as a rend and does not stack with other rends, compared to something like Rending Claws which seems to grant a pseudo-rend and doesn't mention rend in any capacity. I'm not sure how you end up with multiple explicitly-rend abilities other than the claw blade, but it seems fairly dependent on the source. I'm leaning towards it applying only once (based on my reading of the universal monster ability), but that may depend on how the multiple rend sources phrase things.
    Last edited by Elysiume; 2020-09-09 at 03:27 AM.

27. - Top - End - #627

A283: If the trigger is observable there is very little limit, due to the "as elaborate as you desire" clause. So yes, you can stack triggers as per your three examples. The PHB example for this spell says "a lawful good creature approaches" so no attempt to study the symbol is necessary if you set up an appropriate trigger.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

28. - Top - End - #628
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q284

More of a clarification really, but am I reading this right?

With the Greater Gift of Consumption Hex, failing any Fortitude save essentially means you succeed? So I could, say, roll 1 against a finger of death and end up completely safe while the nearest enemy ends up rolling a save-or-die? And even if the enemy saves, I've just avoided a save-or-die despite rolling a 1?

29. - Top - End - #629

A284: Finger of Death isn't actually a SoD in PF - and unfortunately, being a Player Companion item this one isn't written as clearly as it could have been. It appears to say that the target must be hexed with Gift of Consumption before you can then affect them with Greater Gift of Consumption, so bypassing your fort saves in this way takes at least a round of setup with each target, assuming they even fail the first one.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #630
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q285 Can a creature "catch fire" from multiple sources; For example, Blistering Invective spell + Burn ability of a Fire Elemental. And would such creatures take the fire damage from "catching fire" from both sources, or only the source that deals the largest amount of damage?