New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread VI: Return of the Red Die

A342a: It dispels "effects" (plural) and even functions like break enchantment (also plural) so it would definitely get them both.

A342b: It neither removes nor circumvents the stunned condition, so that would prevent you from using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #782
    Troll in the Playground

Q 343

Does the Favored Package ability of the Geomancer (Spheres of Power Elementalist archetype) affect things that modify that package, such as Fog Mastery? What about talents that are based off of those packages, such as Destroy Element?

3. - Top - End - #783
    Colossus in the Playground

Q 344: I know of psionic repair, which is more or less the psionic version of mending. Is there a psionic version of make whole or make whole, greater?

4. - Top - End - #784
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

A 344: Not that I could find. I checked the entire power list. Reconstruction works on constructs, but nothing else.

5. - Top - End - #785

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    A 344: Not that I could find. I checked the entire power list. Reconstruction works on constructs, but nothing else.
    Thanks for looking; I also checked the whole list and found the same thing, but was really hoping I had missed something.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Thanks for looking; I also checked the whole list and found the same thing, but was really hoping I had missed something.
    I would advise asking the gm if either reconstruction or matter manipulation can be reworked to also repair objects.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    Q 343

Does the Favored Package ability of the Geomancer (Spheres of Power Elementalist archetype) affect things that modify that package, such as Fog Mastery? What about talents that are based off of those packages, such as Destroy Element?
    I could not find either fog mastery or destroy element online and I do not have the spheres books.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Titan in the Playground

These are questions probably better asked on the Drop Dead Studios Discord channel.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q345: I have the opportunity to get the PF Bestiary 1, 2, and 3 in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd printings. What're the differences between the printings?
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2021-08-22 at 10:56 PM.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Titan in the Playground

A345: Each printing is (potentially) going to be updated with various errata, making the 3rd printing the most up to date rules-wise. Not sure if they ever actually printed errata for any of the bestiaries though.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2021-08-23 at 01:51 AM.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    A345: Each printing is (potentially) going to be updated with various errata, making the 3rd printing the most up to date rules-wise. Not sure if they ever actually printed errata for any of the bestiaries though.
    Thanks. Now, to go look up the Bestiary erratas, if they exist.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2021-08-23 at 10:14 AM.

12. - Top - End - #792

A345 addendum: On each product's page, there should be an errata document listing what changed between printings. For example, the PF1 Bestiary 3 product page includes the 1st-to-2nd printing errata document that lists the changes by page number (e.g. changing the Adaro's bite damage.)

For B2 and B3 I'm only seeing a 2nd printing for each however, not a 3rd.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #793
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Q 346

Damage reduction states:

Whenever damage reduction completely negates the damage from an attack, it also negates most special effects that accompany the attack, such as injury poison, a monkÂ’s stunning, and injury-based disease. Damage Reduction does not negate touch attacks, energy damage dealt along with an attack, or energy drains. Nor does it affect poisons or diseases delivered by inhalation, ingestion, or contact.
    A question regarding the TOUCH part of the sentence.
    Does this mean that touch attacks of all forms, in pathfinder, ignore damage reduction?
    Or do they simply not have whatever other effects may be attached to said touch attacks negated if DR prevents all their damage?

Relevant applications being guns of course, as well as any spell that deals P / B or S damage on a melee or ranged touch attack. (And spheres of might stuff like shove, but that's outside the scope of this thread)

14. - Top - End - #794

Quote Originally Posted by kkplx View Post
    Q 346

Damage reduction states:

A question regarding the TOUCH part of the sentence.
    Does this mean that touch attacks of all forms, in pathfinder, ignore damage reduction?
    Or do they simply not have whatever other effects may be attached to said touch attacks negated if DR prevents all their damage?

Relevant applications being guns of course, as well as any spell that deals P / B or S damage on a melee or ranged touch attack. (And spheres of might stuff like shove, but that's outside the scope of this thread)
    A 346: Given that it states in doesn't "negate" touch attacks after using the word "negate" to refer to (essentially) rider effects, but uses the words "prevent" or "reduce" (not "negate") to refer to what it does to damage, it seems clear from context that "negate" refers to the rider effects.

If it did refer to the dame of a touch attack as well, it would raise questions about whether it failed to negate by allowing exactly one hp through, preventing no damage, or only failed to protect if the DR exceeds the damage, but works if the DR doesn't exceed the damage.

15. - Top - End - #795

Q 347
    Is there a Pathfinder Psychic Theurge or anything similar that is to divine casters what the cerebromancer is to arcane casters? Particularly a DSP one, but I am curious in general, too.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Q 347
    Is there a Pathfinder Psychic Theurge or anything similar that is to divine casters what the cerebromancer is to arcane casters? Particularly a DSP one, but I am curious in general, too.
    A347: I took a look and did not see one. Best I could find was a ranger prestige class.
    Last edited by Calthropstu; 2021-09-10 at 09:14 AM.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Q348

I've seen lots of Rogue builds recommend using Wand of Fog Cloud (or similar) along with Fog-cutting lenses (so I can still see) to get sneak attack. I want to make sure I understand the mechanics. I noticed that each of the fog causing methods drop from concealed to partially concealed at a 5-foot range, do I still get my denial to dex to trigger the sneak-attack at this range, or do I need to use a reach or ranged weapons to cause the Sneak attack?

From what I understand I would need to use stealth to get my denial to dex instead of merely relying on the fog, meaning that only my first attack would be a sneak attack, I would not be able to get a full-round attack of sneak attack off, and I would not be able to use stealth again at a penalty after attacking (like sniping). Making this a strictly inferior method to simply positioning myself in a flank with my ridiculously high acrobatics to pass through threatened space, and very much inferior to the Dazzling Display, Shatter Defenses, Violent display feat combo (not a PFS game, though I can definitely see why they banned it) Am I missing something? Is there some sort of hidden gem to this Fog Cloud tactic that I'm not seeing?

Trying to diversify my sneak attack options, but this doesn't seem to gain my anything over what my Scout Archetype brings to the table, and the gold could be better spent elsewhere (like saving for a wand of greater invisibility)

18. - Top - End - #798
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by BobertTheThird View Post
    Q348

I've seen lots of Rogue builds recommend using Wand of Fog Cloud (or similar) along with Fog-cutting lenses (so I can still see) to get sneak attack. I want to make sure I understand the mechanics. I noticed that each of the fog causing methods drop from concealed to partially concealed at a 5-foot range, do I still get my denial to dex to trigger the sneak-attack at this range, or do I need to use a reach or ranged weapons to cause the Sneak attack?

From what I understand I would need to use stealth to get my denial to dex instead of merely relying on the fog, meaning that only my first attack would be a sneak attack, I would not be able to get a full-round attack of sneak attack off, and I would not be able to use stealth again at a penalty after attacking (like sniping). Making this a strictly inferior method to simply positioning myself in a flank with my ridiculously high acrobatics to pass through threatened space, and very much inferior to the Dazzling Display, Shatter Defenses, Violent display feat combo (not a PFS game, though I can definitely see why they banned it) Am I missing something? Is there some sort of hidden gem to this Fog Cloud tactic that I'm not seeing?

Trying to diversify my sneak attack options, but this doesn't seem to gain my anything over what my Scout Archetype brings to the table, and the gold could be better spent elsewhere (like saving for a wand of greater invisibility)
    A348: The trick lies in a reach weapon such as kasiri gama.
    Last edited by Calthropstu; 2021-09-10 at 10:40 PM.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BobertTheThird View Post
    Q348

A348a: I don't think there's anything you're missing. It's an extremely inefficient way to gain Sneak Attack. You use a full round's worth of attacks just casting the spell, then another just to get into position, before finally on the third round you can Sneak Attack.

You're better off just making use of Hellcat Stealth (which gives you Hide in Plain Sight so you can just sneak wherever and whenever), Feint (which makes your opponent flatfooted), or both. Or, as you mentioned, Shatter Defenses as like a Thug Rogue with Cornugon Smash and Hurtful thrown in.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2021-09-10 at 10:59 PM.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Titan in the Playground

Q349: Other then levels in Titan Mauler Barbarian, or asking for the 3.5 Monkey Grip feat, are there any methods of negating or otherwise reducing the penalties of wielding a two-handed weapon one-handed?

edit 2: I did find the Lighten Weapon feat that might work. but it's 3rd party. So my DM might not allow it. Leaving it here for any future people that might be looking for an answer to this same question. ask your DM's.

@v Well that's a shame. Thanks for the effort!
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2021-09-13 at 12:22 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #801

Quarterstaff Master works with quarterstaffs, which you can then apply to other polearms if you take Spear Dancing Spiral for wielding those one-handed. Beyond that, I haven't had much luck other than an artifact.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #802
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q350: I just realized that Sorcerous Strike and its friends are worded thus (emphasis mine):

Benefit: When you gain this feat, you choose one bloodline power that you can use to affect a single opponent. If you make a successful unarmed strike against an opponent, in addition to dealing your unarmed strike damage, you can spend a swift action to deliver the effects of the chosen bloodline power to that opponent. Doing so provokes no attacks of opportunity.
    Since most of those bloodline powers have daily limits, does using these feats count against that limit, or are they just "delivering the effects" without actually spending them?
    Awesome avatar by Linklele. Thank you!

23. - Top - End - #803
    Titan in the Playground

A350: You still spend them, it just changes the delivery method from whatever it usually is to "on hit with unarmed strike".

Kinda like delivering a Touch spell with an unarmed strike, Natural Attack, Spell Storing, or Spellstrike.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Q351: (Path of War question) The Warpath Follower class template has:
    A warpath follower gains proficiency with his deity’s favored weapon (if any) or a single martial weapon of his choice in addition to his standard weapon proficiencies. This weapon is his favored weapon for the purpose of his warpath follower class features.
    Does this mean I couldn't select a simple weapon as my favored weapon?

25. - Top - End - #805

A351: As written the only way to do that would be for that simple weapon to be your deity's favored weapon, as then the "this weapon" would apply to that as well. (Perhaps it should say "one of these weapons" instead of "this weapon.")
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #806
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Q352

Vorpal and natural 20 vs Fortification (any). Do you get a % roll to maybe ignore Vorpal?
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Ettin in the Playground

A 352 Yes, you roll fortification, as vorpal requires the attack to be a crit. No crit, no beheading.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quick question, apologies if it's somewhat off topic, but I didn't want to open an entirely new thread just for this:

IIRC there is a thread compiling all guides and handbooks but my search has been unsuccessful.
    I am currently looking for handbooks for PF Rangers, Druids, Animal companions. Can anyone throw me the link?
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Firechanter View Post
    Quick question, apologies if it's somewhat off topic, but I didn't want to open an entirely new thread just for this:

IIRC there is a thread compiling all guides and handbooks but my search has been unsuccessful.
    I am currently looking for handbooks for PF Rangers, Druids, Animal companions. Can anyone throw me the link?
    This is not a RAW question.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

30. - Top - End - #810

Quote Originally Posted by Firechanter View Post

Google is your best bet but there is a compilation of sorts here: https://zenithgames.blogspot.com/201...er-guides.html
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy