Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread VI: Return of the Red Die

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Q 25

The spell Sadomasochism states:

Am I correct to assume this means ANY damage? Weapon damage, Sneak Attack damage, Damage caused by Spells, Ability damage, etc?
    A25: Yes, any roll which there is an attacker. Note, this does not apply to ongoing damage such as bleed, being on fire etc.

However, it would apply to anything classified as damage from any form of attack.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Q 26 a

For a first-level druid with a wolf companion, the wolf’s BAB is listed as +1 and its Strength is 13. For the wolf’s bite attack, is the total attack modifier just +1, or does it also add its Strength modifier (for a melee attack) for a total of +2?

Q 26 b

If the same wolf’s Strength is magically enhanced to 17, would the increased Strength modifier apply to the BAB for a total of +4?

Last edited by Palanan; 2018-12-07 at 03:18 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

A26 a: +2. A Druid's companion for the most part has the same statistics as the base animal. The attack modifier for a wolf's bite attack is +2 for a normal wolf, which is the same as its BaB plus strength modifier. As a Druid gains levelsn the BaB and strength of the wolf increases and will consequently increase the wolf's attack modifier.

A26 b: Yes. Increases to an animal companion's strength score increases their attack modifier accordingly.
    Last edited by TheFamilarRaven; 2018-12-07 at 04:15 PM.
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 27 A

Are you subject to the mechanics and limitations of winged flight if you are benefiting from a spell such as Flight of the Dragon or using an item such as Ring of Solar Wings?

Q 27 B

Either way, what are the limitations? I was never clear on how loads and armor interact with flight.

@edit: Sorry, wrong RAW thread.
    Last edited by TotallyNotEvil; 2018-12-09 at 10:47 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

A 27a Yes, but see part b.

A 27b There is no general difference between flight with wings or without, although specific (magic) sources of flight may give additional benefits (or limitations, e.g. the fly spell prohibits taking the run action while flying). On the other hand, e.g. the hover feat provides some of its benefits only when you have wings.

Considering armor and loads: medium and heavy armor and medium or heavy loads cause a reduction in speed and an Armor Check Penalty (on the fly skill) as usual. Mounts cannot fly with medium or heavy barding (= armor).

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Q28 Does dispel magic and/or and an antimagic field reverse the effects of baleful polymorph?

7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    Q28 Does dispel magic and/or and an antimagic field reverse the effects of baleful polymorph?
    A 28 Yes, but be careful what you mean by "reverse."
    Dispel magic would eliminate the baleful polymorph exactly like any other spell if the caster of the former succeeds on the dispel check. (Of course, I'm assuming the latter spell is actually getting dispelled; a regular dispel, AOE greater dispel, or insufficient CL greater dispel, might not hit it at all, if one/more higher-level spell(s) is dispelled first.) AMF suppresses all magical effects, so baleful polymorph would also be suppressed while the victim remains inside the AMF (and time spent inside it counts against the duration of the spell), but the spell would resume as normal for any remaining duration if the victim leaves the field (or if the field ends).
    Last edited by ezekielraiden; 2018-12-10 at 09:58 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

A28: Yes in both cases, with a caveat. Baleful Polymorph has a duration of 'Permanent,' which flat-out says that it is vulnerable to Dispel Magic (CRB6 216). Antimagic Field does not dispel ongoing magics within its area of effect (and a permanent magic IS ongoing), but it does suppress it. That would mean that the moment the subject leaves the area of the spell, the Baleful Polymorph reactivates.

Edit: I had to check to be sure on that. This would be the case for anything with a permanent duration. It would NOT be the case for a spell with an instantaneous duration. (Of course, the only polymorph-based spell that spell search finds with an instantaeous duration is the 5th level Half-blood Extraction from the ARG.)
    Last edited by Petrukio; 2018-12-10 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Checking on instantaneous

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Q29 Can you waterproof spellbooks and scrolls?

10. - Top - End - #70

Q29 Can you waterproof spellbooks and scrolls?
    A 29: Yes. A blessed book is inherently waterproof, and the spell book ward protects an object from all liquids for 1 day/level. Bit expensive for its effect early on, but at high level it's only a 2nd level spell slot once every 2+ weeks, that's not too shabby as long as you aren't carrying more than a few scrolls (or you could use a wand; 4500 is chump change for a high-level character and 3 days per charge means you could protect 10 scrolls for a month).

You might be able to persuade a DM to let you make a waterproof or boom ward spell permanent, or that some extra alchemical components (increasing the cost) could make a scroll waterproof.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    A 29: Yes. A blessed book is inherently waterproof, and the spell book ward protects an object from all liquids for 1 day/level. Bit expensive for its effect early on, but at high level it's only a 2nd level spell slot once every 2+ weeks, that's not too shabby as long as you aren't carrying more than a few scrolls (or you could use a wand; 4500 is chump change for a high-level character and 3 days per charge means you could protect 10 scrolls for a month).

You might be able to persuade a DM to let you make a waterproof or boom ward spell permanent, or that some extra alchemical components (increasing the cost) could make a scroll waterproof.
    I was asking since my character has the amphibious special quality and the river near the town we started in looks like a good hiding spot for a bunch of valuable scrolls.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Spamalot in the Playground

A29 addendum: For short trips through water, a waterproof bag (UE) is 5sp. Your best bet for long-term aquatic storage is a portable hole, as the interface will be sealed off when the cloth is folded, allowing you to get it as wet as you want (e.g. in your pocket, or under a rock on the riverbed) without affecting the contents.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Q30: Can a paladin smite evil using an alchemical bomb and if so what happens to the splash damage?

14. - Top - End - #74
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Recherché View Post
    Q30: Can a paladin smite evil using an alchemical bomb and if so what happens to the splash damage?
    A30: Yes. It is an attack. The splash damage, however, is unaffected because the smite is targeted. You deal extra damage to THAT CREATURE.

15. - Top - End - #75

A30a: Yes - bombs count as thrown splash weapons, so rules elements that work on those kinds of weapon attacks will work with them. This means yes to stuff like Smite and Judgement, and no to stuff like Sneak Attack or Studied Strike.

A30b: Splash damage would be unaffected, only the direct hit.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2018-12-21 at 02:05 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #76
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q 31
    Would a Magic Trap (not a spell trap or a mechanical trap) that affected victims with Simulacrum do so immediately or after the lengthy (for combat anyway) casting time of Simulacrum?

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

A31: There is no answer to that.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Q32: Is there any way (That you know of) to have Slings or sling-staffs use Strength for attack rolls instead of DEX? Trying to build a Strength-based slinger.

@V think the belt works for both normal sling and sling staff too, as they both count as thrown. it's pricy, but i think that's what i need. thanks!
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2018-12-26 at 05:21 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79

A32: I think Sling Glove + Belt of Mighty Hurling might do the trick. Slipslinger Style will let you use a Sling Glove with all the other sling-related feats.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Q35: It's been accidentally houseruled into two separate games that I've been in, but I'm just curious. Is there any official way for an Alchemist to hand off one of their bombs to somebody else for them to throw?
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

A35: Nope.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 36: How does Power attack influence the damage of a two-handed weapon?

Currently playing:
    Gardin Farawyn Saskeon of Efteria, Elven Bard und Oracle
    Faire Camoretta, Halfling Monk.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elvensilver View Post
    Q 36: How does Power attack influence the damage of a two-handed weapon?
    A 36: Bolding mine. Basically, at beginning levels, you do +2 damage with weapons, and +3 with two-handed weapons. These increase as you'd expect -1/+2/+3, -2/+4/+6, -3/+6/+9, -4/+8/+12. etc.

Power Attack: You can choose to take a –1 penalty on all melee attack rolls and combat maneuver checks to gain a +2 bonus on all melee damage rolls. This bonus to damage is increased by half (+50%) if you are making an attack with a two-handed weapon, a one handed weapon using two hands, or a primary natural weapon that adds 1-1/2 times your Strength modifier on damage rolls.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Q37 Would it violate a reincarnated druid’s code of conduct to become an evangelist (prestige class) of Haagenti?

25. - Top - End - #85

Q37 Would it violate a reincarnated druid’s code of conduct to become an evangelist (prestige class) of Haagenti?
    The linked pages make no mention of a code of conduct, so I'm not sure if there is a RAW answer to the question as asked.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    The linked pages make no mention of a code of conduct, so I'm not sure if there is a RAW answer to the question as asked.
    Oh, here is the druid’s code of conduct:

A druid who ceases to revere nature, changes to a prohibited alignment, or teaches the Druidic language to a nondruid loses all spells and druid abilities (including her animal companion, but not including weapon, armor, and shield proficiencies). She cannot thereafter gain levels as a druid until she atones (see the atonement spell description).

——

Its that first clause about revering nature that throws me for a loop.

27. - Top - End - #87

Oh, here is the druid’s code of conduct:

A druid who ceases to revere nature, changes to a prohibited alignment, or teaches the Druidic language to a nondruid loses all spells and druid abilities (including her animal companion, but not including weapon, armor, and shield proficiencies). She cannot thereafter gain levels as a druid until she atones (see the atonement spell description).

——

Its that first clause about revering nature that throws me for a loop.
    Yeah, this sounds far too much like a DM call. What is "reverence"? Is it worship? Is it recognition? We know Druids can still worship gods (at least in 3.5, and I don't think PF changed that). The Evangelist writeup mentions druid worshippers of Rovagug being likely Evangelist candidates, so the alignment or destruction aspects aren't a direct problem...

So I guess RAW doesn't say it *is* a problem, but doesn't say it *can't be* one either. So ask your DM.
    Last edited by ezekielraiden; 2019-01-06 at 11:21 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88

So alignment-wise, you're fine via the one-step rule provided your druid is CN or NE. That leaves "revere nature." Demons want to destroy everything, nature included, so I don't really see how you could choose one as your patron and still be fine. With that said, interpreting reverence is a GM/setting call and thus beyond the scope of this thread.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

A37 Addendum: Let´s clear this up a bit.

PHB RAW, neither Paladins nor Druids are connected to a divinity to receive their power, as long as they stay within their code.

Setting RAW, which in this case means Golarion, allows for the generic PHB case, but also allows for divine classes to work based on the connection to a divinity. See the now roughly 30 different (Anti-)Paladin Codes of Conduct we have right now. Druid is harder to pin down and give a definitive answer for, as the setting itself has various groups of practically dysfunctional Druid orders, at least when compared to the basic PHB RAW, as in we have Druids of Rovagug as well as Zon-Kuthon. Basically, in this case, it is next to impossible to extrapolate any clear RAW guideline, instead we have to work with the fall-back point of PHB RAW and grant exception to what is concretely mentioned, nothing more.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Pixie in the Playground

Q38. In the RAW for poison crafting it says - You can make poison with the Craft (alchemy) skill. The DC to make a poison is equal to its Fortitude save DC.

Does this mean I can make a Brain Rot poison which normally has a dc of 12 due to it's fort save of 12 more powerful by crafting it with a fort save of say 30, and result in a DC 30 craft check?