New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread VI: Return of the Red Die

A38: You can but it would be a custom item, because the defined item (Brain Rot Poison) has a DC of 12. So you'll need GM approval.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #92
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A38: You can but it would be a custom item, because the defined item (Brain Rot Poison) has a DC of 12. So you'll need GM approval.
    A38: Addendum
    Technically, he could regardless. RAW, he's basically adding more doses into a single application, upping the DC by 2 per dose. It gets expensive doing it that way, buuuut... at least it's inarguable raw.
    Last edited by Calthropstu; 2019-01-08 at 05:49 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    A38: Addendum
    Technically, he could regardless. RAW, he's basically adding more doses into a single application, upping the DC by 2 per dose. It gets expensive doing it that way, buuuut... at least it's inarguable raw.
    Nah. For that, you'd need the actual doses to mix.

4. - Top - End - #94

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Nah. For that, you'd need the actual doses to mix.
    That, and I'm pretty sure the dose concentration rules apply when you're using the poisons, not when you're making them.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Q39: in what order is one's speed calculated? That is, the relationship between base speed, bonuses, penalties, and dealing with medium/heavy armor/loads.
    Last edited by MilleniaAntares; 2019-01-13 at 02:18 AM.
    My Homebrew Material, mostly focusing on Dreamscarred Press's Path of War and psionics material!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

A39: Always in relation to base speed.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Q40: If I'm statting up an Animated Object, can I apply the same features multiple times? I want to have an animated object that's really fast.
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

8. - Top - End - #98

Imp

Q41

On Aid another, what exactly is possible regarding spells?
    You can also use this standard action to help a friend in other ways, such as when he is affected by a spell, or to assist another character’s skill check.
    Can you ready an action to give a bonus to reflex save against a fireball? Do you both need to be adjacent to the caster?
    Can you aid another to give a bonus against the ongoing save from hold person?
    Can you aid another to give a bonus on the CL check to overcome an infernal wound when casting cure light wounds?

9. - Top - End - #99

A41 With the aid another action, you can normally (i.e. without a feat or class ability) only give a bonus to AC, attack rolls, or skill checks. The "affected by a spell" portion only refers to spells that allow allies of the target to help them, e.g. those which apply the fascinated condition, such as Hypnotism:

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinated
    A fascinated creature’s ally may shake it free of the spell as a standard action.
    So for the reflex save and hold person: No. For the CL check, you would need a feat such as Coven Caster.

10. - Top - End - #100

A41: It's very vague as to whether this line refers only to spells that specifically allow for allied help (e.g. Hypnotism and Sleep) or whether a readied Aid can be applied to all spells that have a saving throw. The devs have never clarified this point, but I'm inclined to go with the former - it's reminder text for those specific spells only.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #101

DwarfClericGuy

Q42:

I should know this, but if I have the Craft Arms and Armor feat and I'm making a masterwork plate into +2 plate, do I still need "magic vestment"? Same question on weapons- do I need one of the magic weapon spells?

12. - Top - End - #102

Quote Originally Posted by Sloanzilla View Post
    Q42:

I should know this, but if I have the Craft Arms and Armor feat and I'm making a masterwork plate into +2 plate, do I still need "magic vestment"? Same question on weapons- do I need one of the magic weapon spells?
    A42: The creation of magic weapons (without any special weapon abilities such as flaming) does not require spells, only a sufficient caster level to add the bonus. Normally, you can only add a +1 bonus per 3 caster levels. Likewise with armor. Bards, druids, rangers, and other magic-users who don't have magic weapon, greater magic weapon, or magic vestment on their spell lists can produce simple magic items with the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat just like a cleric can.
    Last edited by Powerdork; 2019-01-20 at 03:12 PM.
    The future is bright.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q43
    if i take improved trip as a monk bonus feat and have 13+ int, can i take greater trip as a normal feat? or do i still need the other feats listed in the prereq?
    obviously this would pertain to the other greater feats as well right?

14. - Top - End - #104

A34 You can take Greater Trip as a normal feat, but you must fulfill all prerequisites. It is the same for all other feats.

Note that the Maneuver Master archetype allows you to take the Greater feats as monk bonus feats (i.e. without fulfilling the prerequisites).

15. - Top - End - #105

A34 addendum: Another option is to take the Dirty Fighting feat, which was basically created so that "street fighters" could exist. Grab that and most if not all the "Improved X" and "Greater X" feats will be open to you.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #106

bit confused to the actual number we are on but..

Q44 does an animal companion have to meet the prerequisites for any feat it chooses from the list of animal feats if it has less than 3 int?
    wanted to get heavy armor prof, but not sure if i need light and medium first just like a not animal comp does

17. - Top - End - #107

A44: This has been one that's caused a lot of headache in the past. The Bestiary states the following:

Animal Traits:

Proficient with no armor unless trained for war.
    Presumably this refers to the "Combat Training" application of the Handle Animal skill, but no details are given on exactly what proficiency this grants. NPC Codex however has multiple examples of characters with combat-trained animals outfitted in barding, even characters that don't get an animal companion, and no indication that those animals are nonproficient. For example, one of the sample Aristocrats has a "combat trained" heavy horse wearing breastplate, which suggests that combat training gives at least Medium Armor Proficiency. So I read this as combat training granting the animal armor proficiencies for free. However other GMs may require your animal to spend its feats.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2019-01-24 at 12:00 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

18. - Top - End - #108

A44 extra shortly after i posted that i realized that quickly was guna be a ask the DM lol..we discussed and decided it will cost me A feat for whatever armor i wanted instead of making me go through the whole chain

19. - Top - End - #109

Q45: Summon Monster and Summon Nature’s Ally have a casting time of one round. I can think of three ways this could be interpreted:

1. The summoned creatures appear on the same round you cast the spell, and you can control them that round, but otherwise you can’t do anything.

2. The summoned creatures appear on the same round you cast the spell, but you can’t do anything with them until the next round.

3. The summoned creatures don’t appear until the round after you cast the spell.

Which of these is correct?
    Last edited by Dire Moose; 2019-01-31 at 01:15 PM.
    LGBTitp

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

A45:
    the monster doesn't appear until the next round. So round 1: Begin spell. Round 2: complete spell, Monster appears.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2019-01-31 at 01:18 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111

A45 addendum: Scenario #3 is the correct one as stated. Only addition is that, since it's a brand new round, you can then take your actions as normal. You can even start another summon.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #112

Q46
    Does the varient vicious opportunist for rogues/ninja have their ability trigger on every hit that qualifies? ( anytime you flank, they have a detrimental condition, or would be denied their dex bonus to ac you get a +2 bonus to damage)
    For example I have multiple attacks a round via high BaB or 2weapon fighting, as long as I'm flanking them each hit would trigger the extra +2 correct?

23. - Top - End - #113

A46: Are you referring to the 3rd-party archetype by Rite Publishing?

It's really poorly-written, but yes, it should trigger on each separate damage roll and therefore should trigger multiple times if you have multiple attacks that qualify.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #114

Q47
    The rules for the Magus' Spell Combat ability say "as a full-round action, he can make all of his attacks with his melee weapon at a –2 penalty and can also cast any spell from the magus spell list with a casting time of 1 standard action (any attack roll made as part of this spell also takes this penalty)."

From a strictly RAW perspective it seems that the only criteria a spell needs to meet to be cast with Spell Combat are that it a) appears on the magus spell list, and b) have a casting time of 1 standard action. Whether or not the spell is one of the Magus' prepared spells, or one of their spells known does is not taken into consideration, effectively allowing pseudo spontaneous casting off of the full Magus spell list. Is my interpretation correct, and if not why?
    Last edited by frogglesmash; 2019-02-05 at 03:50 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A47
    It must be a Magus spell you have prepared in one of your slots.
    Source: FAQ
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    Is my interpretation correct, and if not why?
    Context matters. The ability creates a specific exception/extension to how spell casting works, but is ultimately based on the core functionality of Magus spell casting itself. You can't read one without the other.

27. - Top - End - #117

Q48
    If an Exploiter Wizard takes the School Understanding exploit, does it still grant a bonus spell slot per spell level for use only with that school's spells?

28. - Top - End - #118

A48: No, all School Understanding gives you is school powers; it doesn't say anything about bonus spell slots, and the Exploiter Wizard already traded those away via the archetype in order to get exploits in the first place.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Q49 If a feral gnasher barbarian has only a bite attack and only attacks with that bite attack, does he add x1.5 his Str bonus on the damage?
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

A49: Yes, you add St+1/2 to damage so long as it's the only natural weapon he has.

Q50: I was always under the impression that even when dual-wielding weapons, the second attack granted only applies to full-round actions, similar to the extra attacks granted by high BAB. But the Two-weapon-fighting makes no mention of needing a full round action, merely "one extra attack per round". Would a Barbarian with an axe in each hand be able to move 40ft to an enemy, and then hit them once with each weapon? or would they need to already be standing next to the enemy?
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2019-02-17 at 11:00 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show