New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread VI: Return of the Red Die

Q73

Can a gunslinger's duster be enchanted as armour would be? It provides an armour bonus but can it be further enchanted?
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

A72 Yes.

A73 No. It grants an armor bonus (same as e.g. the spell Mage Armor) but it is not a (physical) armor which could be enchanted.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Spamalot in the Playground

A73 correction: The question was whether the duster could be "further enchanted" which I take to mean asking if it's possible to increase the numbers it provides - the answer to that is yes (outside of PFS), but that would be a custom item requiring GM approval, similar to increasing the caster level on a crafted scroll above the minimum.

The duster itself is a wondrous item rather than armor so you couldn't add armor special abilities to it normally. However, you could combine it with something like Silken Ceremonial Armor or Bracers of Armor that has those special abilities applied, as those occupy a different slot (Armor or Wrists instead of Body, respectively.) The armor bonuses to AC would overlap instead of stacking, but you would still be able to make use of properties like Energy Resistance or Ghost Touch this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Q74 The rules on alcohol say a character can "onsume a number of alcoholic beverages equal to 1 plus double his Constitution modifier before being sickened for 1 hour equal to the number of drinks above this maximum." What is the time frame for consuming? For example, if my CON mod is 5, how quickly do I have to drink 12 drinks before I get sick?
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Proud member of the "I Love Anyway" Club

Thank you, Ceika, so much for the avatar!

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Q75
    Can an unchained monk/Magus combine Spell Combat and Flurry? U.Monk doesn't have the language about flurry being like two weapon fighting and is a full attack instead of a full round action.
    If you need me somewhere, don't hesitate to PM me. I have bad mental health days sometimes, so if I vanish that's probably why. PMs will help break me out of that.
    ~~~~~
    Games I'm Running:
    Digimon: Recollections (OoC)
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars (OoC)
    ~~~~~
    Kyoko-atar by Coronalwave

6. - Top - End - #186
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

A75: No. Flurry of Blows is a full-attack action, which is a full-round action. If you FoB, you don't have a full-round action left to do Spell Combat. SC is a full-round action that lets you make all of your attacks, but does not grant you a full-attack action that you can then use to FoB.
    At 1st level, a monk can make a flurry of blows as a full-attack action.
    At 1st level, a magus learns to cast spells and wield his weapons at the same time. [...] As a full-round action, he can make all of his attacks with his melee weapon at a –2 penalty and can also cast any spell from the magus spell list with a casting time of 1 standard action (any attack roll made as part of this spell also takes this penalty).

7. - Top - End - #187

RangerGuy

A74.

Inner Sea Taverns expands such thing. Pages 54 and 55 have rules for sober, tipsy, drunk, soused and passed out. To jump from one to another it's usually

If you consume an additional number of alcoholic drinks equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum 1) within an hour, or if you consume more than one alcoholic drink per hour for a number of hours equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum 1),
    Q76.

Rage Power Guarded Stance:

Benefit: The barbarian gains a +1 dodge bonus to her Armor Class against melee attacks for a number of rounds equal to the barbarian’s current Constitution modifier (minimum 1). This bonus increases by +1 for every 6 levels the barbarian has attained. Activating this ability is a move action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity.
    Is the Con+Modifier duration per rage or per day?
    Last edited by Fenryr; 2019-04-18 at 09:22 AM.
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

8. - Top - End - #188

A76: It's per rage - most of the time the duration will be moot, because (like all ongoing rage powers) it will end when your rage does even if it has duration left. The idea is that if you have enough rage rounds (and a long enough fight) to exceed the duration of this ability even if you're still raging, you will need a second move action to reactivate it.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 77

A psicrystal with the Informant archetype gets actual skill points (4+int) instead of sharing skills with its master.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative...tal-archetype/

However, there doesn't seem to be a list of class skills for them. Do they have class skills? Or are all skills non-class for them?

10. - Top - End - #190

A77: Looks like this one is by a... fourth party publisher? (i.e. not DSP) so it might just be an oversight on their part. Your best bet is to try and ask them what their intent was, but the default rule is that Constructs have no class skills at all.

With that said, something being a "cross-class skill" is much less of a problem in PF, it's only a 3-point difference generally.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2019-04-19 at 03:23 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 78: On the PFSRD, free actions are quoted as "rarely provoking attacks of opportunity". however, in the table with sample actions, no example of given of a free action that actually provokes an AoO. Is this just a round about way of saying "it's under the DM's purview"? Or are there actual examples of abilities or spell that actually say they provoke an AoO?
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A78 Without having dug around much, it could just be a (very) rare case of "future proofing" the rules (and/or protecting themselves from not-fully-implemented late edits).
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

13. - Top - End - #193
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

A 78: Short answer: I only know of one thing that says "you may X as a free action that provokes an attack of opportunity," but there are a number of options that let you take provoking actions as free actions. Mobility (Mythic) reads:
    Whenever you use Mobility, you gain a +6 dodge bonus to AC instead of the normal +4. In addition, once per round when an attack of opportunity provoked by your movement misses you, you may move 5 feet as a free action. This movement doesn’t count against your total overall movement for the round, but it does provoke attacks of opportunity.

Long answer: For a definite albeit less explicit option, Crossbow Mastery used to reload a crossbow you didn't take Rapid Reload with would provoke as a free action:
    The time required for you to reload any type of crossbow is reduced to a free action, regardless of the type of crossbow used. You can fire a crossbow as many times in a full attack action as you could attack if you were using a bow. Reloading a crossbow for the type of crossbow you chose when you took Rapid Reload no longer provokes attacks of opportunity.
    It's not common, but things that let you make a combat maneuver as a free action are what come to mind for this case. Sometimes they specify that it doesn't provoke, such as Shield Slam. Unseat doesn't specify, but it has Improved Bull Rush as a prereq, as does Charge Through for Improved Overrun. If you have something that lets you take feats with ignoring prereqs (like MoMS into Pummeling Bully), this would apply.

Probably Sea Hunter, Sliding Axe Throw, Wolf Style.

I'm not sure why they include that reminder text for free actions but not swift/immediate actions.
    Last edited by Elysiume; 2019-04-21 at 11:44 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q79
    Other than Improved Natural Armor and enhancement bonuses (e.g. barkskin, ironskin), what methods exist in PF to increase one's existing natural armor bonus while shapechange'd? I am aware of one source of size bonus to NA, legendary proportions, but something more long-term would be preferable. Anything other than class levels: equipment, spells, feats, whatever.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Q80

For the purposes of mounted combat, what size of mount can a human ride? Please quote, link, or refer directly to the rules that answer this query, as thus far I've not actually found near anything indicating anything.

Currently Running WW/Mafia: flat_footed's Fallout 3: Forecast--Rapidly Changing Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #196
    Bugbear in the Playground

A80: There are no explicit rules regulating rider vs mount size relations. However, before higher levels (and plenty of Str bonuses), you'll find that a vast majority of listed Medium sized animal companions (and many other Medium creatures noted as potential mounts) don't have the Str to carry a Medium rider and equipment without encumbrance penalties.

Moreover, the rather heavily implied RAI is that the mount must typically be at least one size category larger than the rider, just as in 3.5. This implied RAI can for example be seen in the Undersized Mount feat.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Q 81 For purposes of interaction with other modifiers, is a concentration check:
    • a caster level check?
    • an ability score check?
    • both?
    • neither?

Like, if I get a morale bonus to ability checks, will it improve my concentration roll?
    Last edited by Dimers; 2019-05-04 at 08:24 PM.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

18. - Top - End - #198

A81: It counts as both, if you have an ability or effect that modifies either.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Thankee. Q 82: Can a cleric fill domain spell slots with metamagicked domain spells of lower levels?
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

A 82 Yes. space
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

21. - Top - End - #201
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Q83: Gravebound witch uses command undead to gain an undead minion.

They then use posession to enter its body.

Another caster uses command undead on the posessed undead. What happens?
    Last edited by Calthropstu; 2019-05-05 at 08:17 PM.

22. - Top - End - #202

A83: It would work somewhat like using possession on a dominated living creature (or dominating a possessed one). I'm a bit tired to parse it at the moment, but the "Rules Interactions" passage I've linked should help you or another respondent untangle it.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #203
    Pixie in the Playground

Q84- Is there any way for a kineticist to increase their effective caster level for Unraveling Infusion's targeted dispel effect? Aside from halving the damage to get +2, that is.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A83: It would work somewhat like using possession on a dominated living creature (or dominating a possessed one). I'm a bit tired to parse it at the moment, but the "Rules Interactions" passage I've linked should help you or another respondent untangle it.
    Q83 addendum: I have read that and it does not address my main problem.

The gravewalker witch says it may possess a creature it controls. If the witch no longer controls the undead, can it maintain the possession?
    Last edited by Calthropstu; 2019-05-07 at 06:18 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

A83 addendum Wrestling for control on enchantments is usually done via rivaling charisma checks (that is RAI at least imho). But I'd say the topic is complex enough to be discussed in a separate thread.

See Charm Person:

The spell does not enable you to control the charmed person as if it were an automaton, but it perceives your words and actions in the most favorable way. You can try to give the subject orders, but you must win an opposed Charisma check to convince it to do anything it wouldn’t ordinarily do.
    Of course you roll vs. the (actually helpless) target of the spell so my addition here is tangential at best.
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-05-08 at 04:39 AM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    Q83 addendum: I have read that and it does not address my main problem.

The gravewalker witch says it may possess a creature it controls. If the witch no longer controls the undead, can it maintain the possession?
    A83 addendum: There's no real RAW answer to this. Closest approximation is the death of the host body at the point you lose control as you negate the initial condition that grants control.

27. - Top - End - #207

RedWizardGuy

Q85

Suppose you have a oracle 4, barbarian 2, rageprophet 4 character with the magical knack trait. Your base CL is 9, which is lower than your character level, so its fine.
    When you use moment of clarity a rageprophet class feature adds your barbarian levels to your CL, would this bring your CL to 11 for that round?
    Last edited by Selion; 2019-05-08 at 05:56 AM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A85Yes.
    Generally you get to choose order of effects. Magical Knack has a cap, but Rage Prophet does not, so you can choose to apply Knack first.

Psyren left this unanswered just to taunt me... Remember kids, friends don't let friends take levels in Rage Prophet!
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

29. - Top - End - #209

Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    A85Yes.
    Generally you get to choose order of effects. Magical Knack has a cap, but Rage Prophet does not, so you can choose to apply Knack first.

Psyren left this unanswered just to taunt me... Remember kids, friends don't let friends take levels in Rage Prophet!
    I do have a life, you know

A85 Addendum: Note that PrCs that lose caster levels are much less of a problem now that Prestigious Spellcaster exists. While a couple of feats are certainly more costly than a trait, you won't have any ambiguity about your caster level being able to exceed your HD that way.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 86

Can a Nightmare Dread use his terror when initiating a strike with a ranged weapon?

Relevant text:
    Quote Originally Posted by PFSRD
    At 2nd level, the nightmare gains the ability to channel a terror through his strikes. Once per round as a free action, the nightmare can channel a terror through his weapon when initiating a strike or using his devastating touch class feature against a creature he has Claimed.