1. - Top - End - #1441
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Spoiler: Paragons
    Show
    This chapter was everything I expected and more

Any thoughts on expected outcomes?

Thinking about how Hanno is seen due a change in aspects (having his connection with Judgement severed and all that), I wonder if his use of Recall as a collection of memories and personalities of heroes past combined with his more balanced perspective of cultural barriers may allow him to "Judge" in the sense of a "Jury of your peers". So he doesn't use the Seraphim /WESEEALLPOSSIBLEPATHSOFYOURLIFE/ that summarily executes you, but as a means of doing the best that can humanely be done as an avatar of Experience and drives to Do Good.

My musings on this is because doesn't that make a solution to Anaxares' Deadlock of Justice? What does Judgement play in this new balance if this is the case?
    Spoiler: Paragons
    Show
    I quite like it, because it shows the opposite side of the coin (pun very much intended) that Cat is one face of. She has to jump through all these hoops, play manipulative games, and fend off literal assassination attempts in order to keep control of the villains.

Now we are seeing for the first time a challenge to Hanno's authority and what he'll have to do to maintain control of the heroes. And the stakes are brutally high. Because there is no way that Christophe wouldn't immediately cause the entire Truce and Terms to crash and burn if Hanno gave him control peacefully. And trying to force the matter, well that would likely result in a lot of dead Heroes at the very least.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Titan in the Playground

No, The Fox is King is not an ordinary song - it is as much about becoming a Named Royal as The Girl who Climbed - just a Callow Name rather than Praesi ("centuries of Good Kings and Wizards of the West had associated Names with authority"). And if I'm not mistaken, the song was planted by Bard to try to railroad Cat into becoming a Name, possibly in opposition to Bard's, which Cat seems to have derailed by pretending to misidentify the song.
    Do you have actual evidence to support that the fox is king isnt an ordinary song?
    That Callow has tied names with authority isnt evidence.

New Chapter.
    Spoiler
    Show

I found it hilarious that both the heroines the Hunted Magician slept with knew of each other.
    And so used it to toy with him

Else, you also got to feel sympathy for Hanno. Seems very clearly that leading heroes is about as easy as leading villains at best.
    Certainly dont seem like anyone but Hanno is up for this task during wartime.
    Especially not with Christopher making a mess of things.

thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post

New Chapter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I found it hilarious that both the heroines the Hunted Magician slept with knew of each other.
    And so used it to toy with him
    Spoiler
    Show
    I know, right; best part of the chapter! Ahahahahahahahahahaha!

As for the rest of it, and That Moron... I can't. I just can't. Not if I plan to do anything useful with my day.

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Yeah, controlling villains is relatively easy. A big enough stick that you can enforce your will, and a big enough carrot that they'll continue working for you despite that. Try that on heroes, and empirical data suggests that half of them will come after you just on principle for bribing them. Massive oversimplification, I know, but gets the point across.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2020-06-05 at 03:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Ogre in the Playground

I thoroughly enjoyed the note that the Bitter Blacksmith and Blessed Artificer were messing with the Hunted Magician. How delightful.

Is it just me, or does the Mirror Knight seem even more uncompromising than usual this chapter. One might even say...severe. I think that this unprecedented magical Artifact created from an Aspect of a markedly single-minded woman just maaaaybe might have some kind of mental influence on its wielder.

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

As for the rest of it, and That Moron... I can't. I just can't. Not if I plan to do anything useful with my day.
    Awwww, I love your rants. Teasing me with one is just mean.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    I thoroughly enjoyed the note that the Bitter Blacksmith and Blessed Artificer were messing with the Hunted Magician. How delightful.

Is it just me, or does the Mirror Knight seem even more uncompromising than usual this chapter. One might even say...severe. I think that this unprecedented magical Artifact created from an Aspect of a markedly single-minded woman just maaaaybe might have some kind of mental influence on its wielder.
    I was thinking the same thing actually. Possession might be going too far, but it's definitely worse for him now.

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Titan in the Playground

That is actually a good observation. I had though it strange he seemed even more of an ass than usual.
    When his own point of view chapter had made him at least a little wellmeaning.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case, but it also could be that an... interested party has had a chat with him and sold him on the idea that he should be in charge, and this is MK's "understanding" (and I use the word quite wrongly) of what leadership is supposed to be.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Titan in the Playground

I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case, but it also could be that an... interested party has had a chat with him and sold him on the idea that he should be in charge, and this is MK's "understanding" (and I use the word quite wrongly) of what leadership is supposed to be.

Grey Wolf
    Nah.. he is not -that- stupid.
    I dont think an interested party could convince him of anything after unleashing 7 demons.
    Or sicking Fae on the Arsenal.

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler: Epitomes
    Show
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Whew that was so satisfying to read. It is what I was hoping for, as the words will actually set a better precedence for Heroic action over deed (though it is sometimes necessary).

While I know it is all likely that there was just enough commotion to draw Cat to the fray as the one able to mobilise defenses, I like the idea that her status as the officer of the Terms gave her a "gut check" that she was potentially about to gain a new Villain if Christophe fell from grace. I get that Providence sense more of an Above thing, but Below always gets it's due as well. It's a very slight chance (she didn't know about Tancred for example), but it could be a fun twist about Providence working for both sides as the Truce and Terms muddy the waters.

I greatly enjoyed this chapter.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

That was certainly a very shocking development. Hanno's ability to sift though other dead heroes for skills or magic tricks seems more and more broken.
    Now he is a multiclass monk-priest-fencer.
    I dont think he could have won the 7 demon fight. But i guess this did become a nice example of rock-scissor-paper.
    Where he did have the finesse required to fend off the Severance.

Else. I dont think Cat showing up there has anything to do with weird senses.
    For a start i find it quite likely she knew the heroes were having a little meeting.
    From there it seemed regular prudence to have people on guard in case something blew up.
    And behold, someone then runs though a door. Followed by a brawl seemingly intensive enough to crack stone.

Though certainly no chance of Christophe falling from grace for something so minor.
    Heroes are just about designed to go against regular authorithy for what they feel are the right thing to do.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Epitomes
    Show
    You know, I read the Guide to see a proper Villain done right, and Cat's been delivering in spades.

And yet, here we have a chapter of a a proper Hero done right. Go White Knight! He's the Hero every hero (and D&D Paladin) should want to be when they grow up. Taking down, nonlethally, even, the Mirror Knight, the man in invincible armor with the deadliest sword, using nothing but a sheathed blade, and only losing a few fingers? That is proper Hero stuff.

...and then he met Catherine, which hopefully means we get her take on all of this next. That'll be fun.

Also yes, it was quite cathartic to see the Mirror Knight get the smack down he had coming. Well smacked!

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show

That was certainly a very shocking development. Hanno's ability to sift though other dead heroes for skills or magic tricks seems more and more broken.
    Now he is a multiclass monk-priest-fencer.
    I dont think he could have won the 7 demon fight. But i guess this did become a nice example of rock-scissor-paper.
    Where he did have the finesse required to fend off the Severance.

Else. I dont think Cat showing up there has anything to do with weird senses.
    For a start i find it quite likely she knew the heroes were having a little meeting.
    From there it seemed regular prudence to have people on guard in case something blew up.
    And behold, someone then runs though a door. Followed by a brawl seemingly intensive enough to crack stone.

Though certainly no chance of Christophe falling from grace for something so minor.
    Heroes are just about designed to go against regular authorithy for what they feel are the right thing to do.

Spoiler
    Show
    The only reason I like the idea of a "narrative push" is because the past two chapters have Christophe portray Cat as this insidious devil who always scheming and unnaturally twisting people to her ends, while others have defended her. Having her respond on a supernatural cue after the commotion had blown up around this would be a hilarious bit of juxtaposition between the two portrayals of Cat.

However, only the Bard seems to have the means to "Wander" her way to know events she never could know.
    Last edited by Mith; 2020-06-09 at 09:07 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler
    Show
    This is also another excellent update that shows Hanno is as much a master of Story-Fu as Cat is, making them perfectly paired opposites on that front as well. His finale was beating Christophe's skull into the ground, but before that he was skillfully countering with dialogue every Story that could swing the clash in Christophe's favor.

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

This is also another excellent update that shows Hanno is as much a master of Story-Fu as Cat is, making them perfectly paired opposites on that front as well. His finale was beating Christophe's skull into the ground, but before that he was skillfully countering with dialogue every Story that could swing the clash in Christophe's favor.
    I dont think Hanno was messing around with story elements here.
    To me it seemed more like he was working politics. Trying his best to defuse the situation before it blew up to badly.
    Or more accuratly try and avoid both backing Christopher up a tree his pride would prevent him from crawling down.
    While also avoiding letting him gather support among the other heroes.

From Hanno's earlier chapters i dont think he tries to bend stories his way.
    Or even think about them. I just think he is genuine in his role. Is his role, not just playing it like Cat.
    At the same time, he is just also exceptionally skilled at dealing with dysfunctional people (heroes).

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show

I dont think Hanno was messing around with story elements here.
    To me it seemed more like he was working politics. Trying his best to defuse the situation before it blew up to badly.
    Or more accuratly try and avoid both backing Christopher up a tree his pride would prevent him from crawling down.
    While also avoiding letting him gather support among the other heroes.

From Hanno's earlier chapters i dont think he tries to bend stories his way.
    Or even think about them. I just think he is genuine in his role. Is his role, not just playing it like Cat.
    At the same time, he is just also exceptionally skilled at dealing with dysfunctional people (heroes).

Spoiler
    Show
    Agreed. I don't think he was trying to manipulate stories, he just is what everyone else pretends to be. A legitimately good person without a massive ego who was willing to maim himself and then risk his life to save the Mirror Knight from himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Agreed. I don't think he was trying to manipulate stories, he just is what everyone else pretends to be. A legitimately good person without a massive ego who was willing to maim himself and then risk his life to save the Mirror Knight from himself.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think Hanno was messing with story elements, but he is aware of those forces. See the fact that he describes the Mirror Knight as having lost the story of rebellion.

Thinking of Hanno's continued mirroring of Cat, I wonder if Cat can use the Secrets of Night to extract the experience of the drow using Night over time in a function akin to Recall? Or is such an ability scattered in pieces throughout all the drow through the harvesting of Night. The ability is extraordinarily useful to not have been in play before, but it doesn't seem like it has ever been used before Hanno.

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think Hanno was messing with story elements, but he is aware of those forces. See the fact that he describes the Mirror Knight as having lost the story of rebellion.

Thinking of Hanno's continued mirroring of Cat, I wonder if Cat can use the Secrets of Night to extract the experience of the drow using Night over time in a function akin to Recall? Or is such an ability scattered in pieces throughout all the drow through the harvesting of Night. The ability is extraordinarily useful to not have been in play before, but it doesn't seem like it has ever been used before Hanno.
    The Seraphim seem to have been truly impressed with Hanno, since he got some top tier powers. Recall is obviously crazy, but Ride isn't far behind. As the Black Knight put it, it's an attack that ignores all armor/defenses combined with an enormous speed boost; an almost guaranteed one-hit-kill if used properly (at that time, Hanno wasn't using it properly; I wonder if that's changed...).
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Titan in the Playground

Nahh.. i dont think it will be the case. Recall is very solidly Hanno's special stick.
    Im 100% certain Cat isnt going to get it. She has enough sticks as it is.

The Seraphim seem to have been truly impressed with Hanno, since he got some top tier powers. Recall is obviously crazy, but Ride isn't far behind. As the Black Knight put it, it's an attack that ignores all armor/defenses combined with an enormous speed boost; an almost guaranteed one-hit-kill if used properly (at that time, Hanno wasn't using it properly; I wonder if that's changed...).
    Ride sounded like a fairly common aspect though. Common enough that Black knew more of it than Hanno before he had a chance to grow in the wars.
    Now Hanno is casually making his horse explode into javlins of light.

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

The presence of Cat isnt that surprising. I mean she knows both knights. She probably had her soldiers on high alert and ready as soon as Hanno arrived.

I feel the motivations of mirror knight are still unclear. Does he stand for anything? Or is he just a prideful jerk who thinks all heroes good + all villains bad.

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Titan in the Playground

I feel the motivations of mirror knight are still unclear. Does he stand for anything?
    What he stands for seems pretty clear?
    Rescuing an innocent heroine, thats about to get executed just because she got manipulated by the Wandering Bard.

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rydiro View Post
    The presence of Cat isnt that surprising. I mean she knows both knights. She probably had her soldiers on high alert and ready as soon as Hanno arrived.

I feel the motivations of mirror knight are still unclear. Does he stand for anything? Or is he just a prideful jerk who thinks all heroes good + all villains bad.
    He's very much a child. Mirror Knight has a simplistic view of the world, which has little to know regard on reality. He wants to do what's right and fair, but he doesn't have a clue what that is.

Like the whole situation with the Red Ax. He doesn't think it's fair that the hero would end up being executed and the villain get away with not. Maybe it would be fair if the Haunted Magician would also be executed, but that doesn't mean the Red Ax should get away with murder.

Also he has a nasty tendency to forget that people without Names are still people with emotions and desires. Like saying that Callow's soldiers would 'do their duty' and keep fighting Nemmy if he killed Cat. He obviously hasn't actually talked to any of them in a while.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Titan in the Playground

Ride sounded like a fairly common aspect though. Common enough that Black knew more of it than Hanno before he had a chance to grow in the wars.
    He learned that trick from Recall, tho, specifically reviewing the memories of that one hero who actually took the time to study how using the Light worked much like how Praesi magic tradition studies how magic works. No way to know how skilled he would be with his Aspects if one of them didn't let him commune with heroes past and study all their best tricks.. he doesn't seem like a very horseman type and probably would not be super interested in learning all the ins and outs of Ride, but then we'd be talking about a hypothetical Completely Different Hanno so maybe he would. (As is, I bet he's picked up some other nasty surprises for that Aspect from previous White Knights that leaned into the mounted combatant thing more.)

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Titan in the Playground

The more he talks the talk and walks the walk, the more it feels like he equates his desires with Good, and anything that goes against them as Evil - i.e. not that different from our own "this is how NOT to play a Paladin" Miko. Although, fair's fair, he does not do the same pole-vaulting to conclusions that fit her worldview that Miko is also known for.

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    then we'd be talking about a hypothetical Completely Different Hanno
    Indeed. I do like how that was expressed in the chapter: Hanno no longer remembers if he was born right handed or left handed. Recall is an amazing power, but it is slowly removing all that was Hanno. That's a non-trivial sacrifice of his own Self, I have to say.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-06-10 at 01:17 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

What he stands for seems pretty clear?
    Rescuing an innocent heroine, thats about to get executed just because she got manipulated by the Wandering Bard.
    Yeah he thinks that, though that is not what happened. Even the red axe herself will probably testify to that. She did murder someone. And tried to murder the kingfisher. Its like the mirror knight does not even acknowlege the facts everyone else does. And replaces them with unfounded assumptions.

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yeah he thinks that, though that is not what happened. Even the red axe herself will probably testify to that. She did murder someone. And tried to murder the kingfisher. Its like the mirror knight does not even acknowlege the facts everyone else does. And replaces them with unfounded assumptions.
    MK IMO sees it as balance between teams. Team Evil is letting someone off, so Team Good should too. She's innocent due to her team affiliation, and those who aren't agreeing with him are betraying their team.

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    MK IMO sees it as balance between teams. Team Evil is letting someone off, so Team Good should too. She's innocent due to her team affiliation, and those who aren't agreeing with him are betraying their team.
    Which is a good argument for executing the hunted magician as well, because he knowingly supported an attack against the Arsenal. He contributed to far more deaths than red axe did. Letting him off the hook IS unfair.

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Which is a good argument for executing the hunted magician as well, because he knowingly supported an attack against the Arsenal. He contributed to far more deaths than red axe did. Letting him off the hook IS unfair.
    It's not a good argument, because it isn't a game and they aren't teams. It is the apocalypse and they are fighting for their lives, the Hunted Magician just gave them a weapon that may possibly win the war. Fair is a construct for when you are in a position of stability, they need survival.

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Nahh.. i dont think it will be the case. Recall is very solidly Hanno's special stick.
    Im 100% certain Cat isnt going to get it. She has enough sticks as it is.

To be clear, I am thinking of comparable skills. Recall allows Hanno to where the memories of previous Heroes like the Masks of Ashuran mystics (like the Face of Judgment in his origin), and over time he has assimilated these memories and skills into a more cohesive whole.

I was wondering if Cat is privy to what the Drow are able to do through Night as First Under Night that she can make an accelerated study. She doesn't get the same skill boost, but she also doesn't deal with any form of alienation/dissociation.