A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 85
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    The Sultan's Claw, Somewhere North of Katapesh | Midday

    The cracked earth sighs under the influence of the hot midday sun, which hangs high overhead, unleashing its relentless rays upon travelers below. A small caravan of adventurers riding camels braves the harsh elements, traveling somewhere deep into the wild scrublands. This group, in particular, has traveled almost a week from the quiet desert town of Solku to... out here, in the desolate wastes of northern Katapesh. The travel has been fairly uneventful, framed by a backdrop of the looming Pale Mountain on the horizon, most days cloudless and hot spent riding camelback over the dunes and hills and crags, most nights quiet and cold spent huddled 'round campfires under starry skies.

    Despite the discomfort of such harsh travel, the group has grown to know each other fairly well. They have been hired by a young merchant princess, Almah, for an expedition to scout and reclaim the long-abandoned battle-market village of Kelmarane, located in the northern wastes of Katapesh at the foot of the Brazen Peaks. Their guide, to rendezvous with the rest of Almah's charge, is a distinguished, greying-but-still-spry man by the name of Garavel. Black of hair and grey of beard, and clad in a white keffiyeh on his head and simple brown robes, he is wiry and strong. At his hip, a scimitar hangs from a simple cord belt. He rides his camel with a practiced grace, trotting a few yards ahead of the the group, leading the way through the craggy wasteland.

    As the group crests the next hill, Garavel clears his voice and speaks in a low rumbling tone. "We have almost arrived. Just beyond this hill, you'll see..."

    Spoiler: Perception DC 8
    Show
    Off in the hazy distance, you spy a craggy treetop over the next hill. This is the Sultan's Claw, as much of a landmark as you'd be able to find out here in the desert wastes. It's a massive, old, dying tree, with five sparsely-leafed branches jutting up into the sky. It looks more like a giant skeletal talon than a thing of living wood. Clustered around the tree is an almost bustling caravan consisting of a half-dozen wagons, a large tent, and animal pen filled with camels and goats.


    Spoiler: Perception DC 15
    Show
    In your time traveling with Garavel, you've noticed a strange feature he keeps hidden under his headpiece - a metal bolt that prodrudes from the left side of his skull - a Pactmaster's favor, a magical and cultural alteration native to Katapesh that is said to keep the emotions of those who use it in check.


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Now's your time to introduce your characters and the party. You've all known each other for at least this week of travel, but if you'd like to intertwine your backstories more than that, feel free. (We have two PC's with Finding Haleen, at the very least)

    Either make rolls here using the forum dice roller or in Discord using Sidekick, it's up to you.
    My Games
    Doomsday Dawn (PF 2E) IC | The Sunless Citadel (5E) IC OOC | Legacy of Fire (PF 1E) IC

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Tome's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Somewhere lost in dream.
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    "Land ho! Or at least yer landlubber equivalent" Eshe whoops from atop her camel.

    "Be bloody glad ta be resting me hindquarters" the garundi woman grumbles, rubbing her aching posterior. Her discomfort is something she hasn't been shy about airing during the course of the trip.

    "No offence ta ye" she adds to her mount with a reassuring pat, "I'm just not meant fer camels I think".
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Skype: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    (Perception 19)

    Andrei Kovacs wiped a bead of sweat from his forehead. Though he had lived in Katapesh all his life, somehow, the Varisian had never quite gotten used to the heat. And though he had no objection to his camel, overcoming the camel’s objection to Kilava had been a bit more troublesome, at least at first. The bored looking tiger continued to trail beside him, as it had for most of the journey.

    “Oh? We’re there, are we?” he asked, perking up a little at the news, “Finally!”
    Last edited by Kallor; 2018-10-19 at 11:20 AM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    Zahur taps out a slow rhythm on his hardened leather cuirass as the party trudges along, chanting softly in time with the camel's steps. "Pa-nu-ra-them-ya-ni-dah-zil-bha-gu-ran-tem-ya-ni..." He sports a keffiyeh in the same style as Garavel, white cloth framing a sunken and hungry visage. Dull brown eyes stare blankly out of a dull brown face - a face which brightens considerably at the news that the Sultan's Claw is near. He reaches for his weapons bandolier reflexively before confirming there's nothing hostile in sight, and then stretches one arm at a time while keeping the reins of the camel.

    "It really has been a long few days. Uh, not to say you're bad company, just..." Zahur stammers and sputters off. "I'm eager to get to the village, is all I mean."
    Last edited by Foryn Gilnith; 2018-10-19 at 07:39 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NZ

    Default Re: [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    Morife

    Morife nods at the excited cry from Eshe, a satisfied smile on normally hard face. The rigors of the last week had been testing but not altogether unwelcome. Indeed, finding that the merchant princess was hiring for an expedition to the very place where Haleen might be had been a stroke of luck. And meeting the half-elf with the tiger, Andrei, who also sought Haleen just confirmed his information must be sound. It was good to be away from the city for a short time and once these gnolls were routed he looked forward to the impending resolution. Perhaps Haleen was with Almah's other forces and had already dealt to the vicious curs. He chuckled at that thought but still hoped that some action might remain.

    "Sultan's Claw. A welcome sight indeed!"

    He looked over at the others, fine travelling companions each. "Lead on, Garavel. I am eager to sight this Kelmarane. Abadar will surely fill the princesses coffers with gold as just reward for driving off the gnoll tribe and restoring such a waypoint". He urges his camel forward slowly, following their aging guide.

    Anticipating their imminent arrival he mutters a brief prayer to Abadar under his breath as they advance.

    Spoiler: Orison
    Show
    Might as well cast guidance.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    The Sultan's Claw | Midday

    Garavel gives a tired smile at Morife and Zahur and says, "If only it weren't for the gods-forsaken gnoll tribes. We've got our work cut out for us, even with all of the manpower the princess has assembled for this expedition." The man's voice is low and cool, though not unkind. Soon after speaking, his head whips back around and he's cupped a hand to his eyes, shading them from the sun.

    "Is... is that a fire?" His voice rises a bit higher, a hint of concern in his tone. Garavel gives his camel a nudge, urging the animal faster. "Hurry! There is something wrong!" The guide takes off in a puff of sand and dust, and it's all the party can do to keep up with his elevated pace. After a few minutes hard ride, the group arrives at the Sultan's Claw proper, to chaos unfolding.

    The caravan is bustling with activity and yelling voices fill the air. The penned animals prance in agitation, tugging at their restraints and bleating loudly. A clutch of confused goats and livestock wander the grounds around the wagons, unattended. Perhaps a dozen men and women rush around the campsite, chasing down an animal or hastening toward the center of the cluster of wagons and tents near the gnarled Sultan's Claw, carrying buckets of water. One of the wagons is on fire!

    Lush orange and red flames engulf an elaborate wooden wagon emblazoned with painted moons and stars. A gout of smoke pours from an open door, and as the party approaches, an ill wind blows a number of colorful fortune-telling Harrow cards from inside the wagon. One of these singed cards blows right into Andrei's chest, fluttering there for a moment. Then, the worst happens. Errant flames from the wagon lick the hanging branches of the Sultan's Claw above, and the entire tree is quickly engulfed in flames. The dry heat from the past week has left everything in prime condition to burn to cinders.

    Suddenly, the central flap of the most elaborate tent in the caravan flies open and a regal woman, clearly Princess Almah, steps out into the midday sun. "Douse that flame!" she shouts to the men surrounding the wagon before turning to the party. "Ah, Garavel!" she says, "And just a moment later than the nick of time, as usual." Almah shakes her head slightly, then looks at the rest of the party. "Find some way to help!" she barks, before taking off toward the burning wagon. Garavel quickly dismounts his camel and follows Almah.

    Almah, Garavel, and four soldiers dressed in the distinctive red chitin-plate armor of the Pactmaster Guard run back and forth between the burning wagon and an uncovered wagon about twenty feet away. The uncovered wagon contains a huge barrel, and as they open a spigot at the bottom, it's clearly full of drinking water. Their efforts are slowly working to douse the flames, but more and more of the wagon crumbles to soot while they struggle to bring pail after pail of water to the wagon and tree. At the foot of the water wagon, several more pails await hands to carry them.

    Four burly mercenaries struggle with an enclosed wooden wagon within feet of the burning one, struggling to move the heavy vehicle out of harm's way. Nearby, a red-headed halfling kneels next to a pair of severely burned mercenaries who tried to enter the burning wagon when the flames first erupted. The halfling healer is able to attend to one of the two suffering mercs, a man who howls in pain, but is not able to help the second, a woman who's breathing is shallow and labored.

    Spoiler: Andrei
    Show
    The harrow card that flew into you depicts the Cyclone. This signifies an unstoppable force that tears through everything in its path. The card portends war, arson, and destruction.


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    There's several ways to help out here.

    1. Put out the fire: You may join Almah and Garavel and ferry water from the water wagon to the burning one. The current method is very inefficient, but all of the npcs are too frazzled to think of anything better to do. You can direct the NPCs if you have a better idea, or even try to lift the water barrel with a Strength check.

    2. Move the endangered wagon: The four mercenaries will aid if anyone helps push the endangered wagon out of the way. This too will require a Strength check.

    3. Heal the wounded: The two wounded, burnt mercenaries are being tended to by a healer, but he's clearly out of his depth with such extensive injuries.

    4. Deal with frightened animals: Use Handle Animal to try to corral and calm the frightened animals running about. Several people chase them, clearly the animals are important to the expedition, and the ones that are loose run the risk of getting lost in the nearby wilderness.
    My Games
    Doomsday Dawn (PF 2E) IC | The Sunless Citadel (5E) IC OOC | Legacy of Fire (PF 1E) IC

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NZ

    Default Re: [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    Morife

    With chaos erupting all around Morife also dismounts, albeit with far less grace and speed than Garavel. There is little he can do for the injured so he runs across to help the four mercenaries shift the endangered wagon out of harms way. "C'mon lads, put your back into it!" He slams his shoulder against the wagon using all his strength to assist with the activity

    Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    Strength check DC? (1d20+3)[11] + assists?
    Diplomacy check if needed (1d20+1)[6]

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Tome's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Somewhere lost in dream.
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    "Oh bloody hell" Eshe yells, leaping from her camel. She turns to her travelling companions and shouts "Andrei! I'm on the injured, you handle the fire!" as she dashes to the injured mercenaries. The half-elf can conjure water, she recalls. Better he focus on that damned fire.

    She pushes past the struggling healer with a bellowed "Move!", pale light flickering around her fingers as she slaps the brief charge of positive energy into the first victim, soothing the worst of his wounds. A second spell follows a few seconds later, bolstering the laboured breathing of the other mercenary.

    "Aye, they ain't dying today" she mutters, examining the burns on the second patient as a small black cat emerges from his resting place inside her hood and drops gently to the ground. Muffles gives a reassuring purr as he examines the other patient for his master.

    "Either o these two good fer fighting tha fire if we get em back on their feet?" she asks the halfing as she works. "Or can they wait fer proper healing?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Eshe casts Stabilise on the two injured mercenaries, then sees what she can do with a heal check.

    Unless of course no one else does anything about the panicking animals, in which case she'll probably start casting Sleep on them once she's done stabilising the injured.
    Last edited by Tome; 2018-10-20 at 04:50 AM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Skype: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Dark Hawk799's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    My home in the Abyss
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    Samira, knowing just how bad a fire can be for a desert caravan, quickly hops off her camel and rushes to the fire and aids in putting it out. Grabbing an extra bucket she fills it and hurries to throw it on the fire.

    Looking to the disorganized guards running about, "I've seen worse fires than this get put out, but we do need you to pick up the pace with those buckets."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    NOT casting create water over the wagon, also attempts to get the water runners moving just a bit quicker. If someone ends up using diplomacy to organize the guards Samira will attempt to aid them.
    Last edited by Dark Hawk799; 2018-10-20 at 09:41 AM.
    There are many perks to being a dragonslayer.


  10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    Andrei snatched up the card, looking up at the scene in front of him as he dismounted from his camel, and then back down at the card, “Destruction, yes, arson, I’d certainly hope not, war… Well, what does a card know,” he muttered to himself in Elvish.

    Eshe’s call snaps him out of his daze, and he shoves the card into his pocket before rushing forward towards the fire. He busies himself with repeatedly casting Create Water, conjuring a downpour to directly smother and contain the flames, which seemed to be a considerably faster method than going back and forth to the barrel. In between castings, he begins calling out to the others working at fighting the fire, attempting to organize an ad hoc bucket brigade(19 diplomacy).
    Last edited by Kallor; 2018-10-20 at 11:35 AM.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    Zahur gawks at the crackling flames that rise up to consume the Sultan's claw as the people at the front of the riding formation swiftly dismount and rush toward the fire. Seeing the situation well manned and knowing the group's magicians are better equipped to handle the wounded and burning, he turns his camel to the side and circles around the perimeter of the camp, trying to herd back any of the livestock that might flee too far. He calls out to the people already chasing down the animals and tries to work in tandem with them - after all, Zahur has no knowledge of which animals are more or less vital to the caravan.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    The Sultan's Claw | Midday

    Morife

    Morife and the mercenaries' first attempt to shove the wagon is unsuccessful. They are no coordinated and getting in each other's way. The wagon sort of slumps in a rut and rocks despite all their exertion. However, upon regrouping and a much more coordinated and heroic effort lead by Morife, they are able to get the wagon rolling to safety. The four mercs congratulate Morife, impressed by his leadership and strength.

    Eshe

    Eshe's magic immediately brings the two injured mercenaries into more stable condition. Though still unconscious, their breathing becomes stronger, and the worst burns and cuts heal slightly. They are still hurt and will require further healing or bed rest to fully recover. The cleric is grateful for the support and clasps Eshe's fingers in his small weathered hand, nodding and thanking her profusely. "By Nethys' ascenscion! I don't know what I'd've done if it weren't for you! My healing's all spent for the day, gods know that first aid is so much harder without magic!" He finishes bandaging the two unconscious mercenaries, then says, "I'll get them patched up better tomorrow... should last like this. I don't think they'll be fighting any more fires today, though."

    "The name's Father Zastoran. I'll make sure these two know how you helped them when they wake up, miss..." he pauses, waiting for a name.

    Zahur

    Zahur tries his best to help herd the animals. His efforts are fairly effective, that is, until one of the goats makes a break for it, sprinting surprisingly quickly over a nearby dune and out of sight. Otherwise, the ranger's combined efforts with the other caravan folk are able to reign in the rest of the livestock safely.

    Samira and Andrei

    With some amount of shouting and wild gesturing, Samira and Andrei are able to get the fire fighters organized more effectively. At Andrei's direction, Garavel, Almah, Samira, and the caravan guards all line up, passing bucket after bucket down the line and dumping it onto the fire, while the oracle conjures water to rain down from above. After mere minutes, they've managed to douse the flames on both the caravan and the Sultan's Claw, and the immediate danger subsides.

    Everyone

    The camp breathes a collective sigh of relief as the last flames are doused. An impromptu circle forms around Almah, as everyone is uneasy and exhausted after the commotion, and look to their leader for guidance. Some members of the caravan give a smile and weak wave to the heroic newcomers, who burst onto the scene and handled almost all the problems at camp quickly and readily. Almah herself looks especially grateful for such a level-headed and professional response to the commotion.

    She wipes her brow, beads of sweat leaving her tanned skin slick from both the heat of the day and the exertion, then she speaks. "Well, that was quite an introduction. We have much to speak about regarding the fire, but first things first..." She turns to address the party directly. "As I'm sure you've guessed, I'm Almah, and this is our caravan. Everyone," she says, looking round the caravan group and pointing towards the new arrivals, "these are the newest of our number. Why don't you all introduce yourselves?"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Everyone in the party gains 80 XP for dealing with the fire.

    Current total: 80 XP
    Last edited by AtS; 2018-10-25 at 04:06 PM.
    My Games
    Doomsday Dawn (PF 2E) IC | The Sunless Citadel (5E) IC OOC | Legacy of Fire (PF 1E) IC

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NZ

    Default Re: [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    Morife

    Nodding almost imperceptibly at the praise from the mercenaries, Morife strides across to receive Almah's greeting. He bows and introduces himself "Morife Khumein, at your service my lady. May Abadar's fortunes rain down upon us and guide this expedition to wealth and profits befitting a princess."

    Spoiler: Skill checks
    Show
    Aid another if anyone else goes for Diplomacy: (1d20)[18]
    Sense motive, because why not: (1d20+6)[13]

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    "Andrei Kovacs," Andrei said, with a polite bow.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    Zahur freezes up for a moment when the group is given the spotlight, but brings himself back to attention with a pinch on the hand. He waves back to some of the caravaneers waving at them, stretches a thin smile across his face, and bows his head briefly before speaking his piece. "I am Zahur Khayyam bin Tangaratta al-Shodra. I hope to serve well under the eyes of the Perfected One."

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Tome's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Somewhere lost in dream.
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    "Eshe" she replies with a nod.

    "An that be a lesson I learnt well. Always be having a cantrip fer triage, even if it don't come up often. Now, let's be moving this sorry pair somewhere out of the way..."

    ---------------------

    "Eshe Watercliffe" she introduces herself, "ship's doctor temporarily without me ship. Til she comes back ta port, ah'll be making sure yer limbs stay attached and yer insides are inside".

    The black cat from earlier re-emerges from her hood with a plaintive mreow. Eshe chuckles and reaches up to scratch her feline companion behind the ears. "Oh, and this be Muffles. Ship's cat and me able-bodied assistant".
    Last edited by Tome; 2018-10-23 at 10:34 AM.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Dark Hawk799's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    My home in the Abyss
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    Looking excited at the gathered people praising her, Samira waves to the crowd and introduces herself as Samira. "Glad we arrived when we did, wild fires are a nasty business in the desert"
    There are many perks to being a dragonslayer.


  18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    The Sultan's Claw | Midday

    At Morife's blessing, Almah smiles darkly. "Thank you, Morife," she says quietly. "If I had the Wealthy Father's blessing, we wouldn't be in this mess. It's a long story, but the short of it is that Kelmarane was once under my family's influence, generations ago. The Roveshki name is not worth what it once was, and it's all this blasted place's fault. Bad investments, natural disasters, you name it, they cost my great-great grandfathers everything and now I'm left with this gnoll-infested wasteland as my inheritance." She sighs, shaking her head slowly.

    She addresses each member in turn, nodding her head at the greetings and salutes from the party. "All of you, your service and expertise are invaluable to this expedition. Especially in a time like this," she explains, gesturing toward the burned-out husk of the wagon smoking nearby. "Garavel?" she calls for her major domo and he quickly returns to her side. Her voice loses the kind tone and becomes instructive and stern. "Find out who or what caused the fire. We have one dead and two casualties - we cannot afford any more mishaps like this. If there is any sign of foul play, we must sort it out quickly." She looks out at the rest of the party, tapping her chin. "Take the newcomers with you. Clearly, all of you have an alibi - you all arrived after the fire broke out!" She turns, and starts to head back to the main tent, though she stops halfway there. "Report your findings to me this evening, before supper."

    Garavel bows sharply and takes the party aside. "This is what I know right now - we have one dead, Almah's former fortune-teller, Eloais, and two wounded, the leader of the hired mercenary company Trevvis, and his second-in-command Kallien. They charged into the burning wagon in an attempt to rescue Eloais, but the fires overwhelmed them." He slowly paces back and forth in front of the party. "We've got our work cut out for us. We need to investigate the wagon, examine Eloais' body, and interview the rest of the caravan."

    At this point, the rest of the camp has started to come down from the excitement and commotion, and people are beginning to return to their daily routines. The cleric from before busies himself at an infirmary tent, rushing about, red hair frizzy and disheveled. The animal herders have managed to get the livestock under control and penned back up, and the various guards stand watch, some alone, others in pairs, whispering nervously among themselves.

    "As far as the interviews go, there's Father Zastoran, Dashki, our guide through the wasteland, Almah's personal guard - Fixx, Keldon, Podarn, and Vodrave. The mercenaries, that's Trevvis and Kallien, their leaders, the two wounded. But their underlings, Utarchus, Dullen, Brotis, and Yesper, we need to hear their statements, at least. Oh! And last, the animal herders, a couple - Hadrod and Hadrah."

    "Decide how you'll proceed from here. You've proven your worth in a crisis, so now I want to see how capable you all are at investigation."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    A few investigation scenes here:

    1. Examine the burned wagon for evidence
    2. Examine Eloais' body
    3. Interview Father Zastoran
    4. Interview Dashki
    5. Interview Almah's personal guard
    6. Interview the mercenaries
    7. Interview the animal herders
    8. Inteview Almah

    Or anything else you can think of that might be relevant to the investigation! Feel free to split into groups, tackle things solo, or however you want to approach this situation.

    Morife - Morife's sense motive attempt is enough to notice that Almah seems surprisingly unconcerned with Eloais' death, or at least, she shows no sign of distress or mourning.
    Last edited by AtS; 2018-10-25 at 03:08 PM.
    My Games
    Doomsday Dawn (PF 2E) IC | The Sunless Citadel (5E) IC OOC | Legacy of Fire (PF 1E) IC

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NZ

    Default Re: [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    Morife

    Morife watches as Almah departs, her behavior curious but not altogether unusual for a woman of her standing. He says nothing. Slowly, he turns to Garavel and his travelling companions. He nods his approval as Eshe makes a move toward the body of the late fortune-teller. The woman clearly has some skills with medicine as she said. Best she is left to complete her examination without interruption.

    "I would like to examine the wagon of the poor soul first. I will meet you shortly when we are ready to begin the interviews."

    Morife approaches the burned-out wagon of Eloais the fortune-teller. His eyes wander across the charred remains as he runs a gauntleted hand through the soot and embers, a prayer to Abadar muttered under his breath as he concentrates.

    When he has thoroughly checked the wrecked wagon he returns to sternly observe the interviews as they proceed.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Cast Guidance (!)
    Perception check to examine burnt wagon = (8)+6 = 14 (from Discord) + 1 Guidance = 15

    Eshe's got the autopsy covered.

    I suggest someone with good Diplomacy (Andrei with aid from Samira?) conducts the interviews. Morife will observe and concentrate on Sense Motive on any responses/ reactions. Sound like a plan?

    I'll roll a bunch of Sense Motive checks for use as needed, so as not to hold anyone up (although AtS you may wish to reroll these in secret). Not quite sure how the Discord roller works. Here's the first one anyway:

    1d20+8 Sense Motive check (Incl. Guidance & Silver-Tongued Haggler) = (2)+8 = 10
    1d20+8 Sense Motive check (Incl. Guidance & Silver-Tongued Haggler) = (14)+8 = 22
    1d20+8 Sense Motive check (Incl. Guidance & Silver-Tongued Haggler) = (8)+8 = 16
    1d20+8 Sense Motive check (Incl. Guidance & Silver-Tongued Haggler) = (11)+8 = 19
    1d20+8 Sense Motive check (Incl. Guidance & Silver-Tongued Haggler) = (6)+8 = 14
    1d20+7 Sense Motive check (Incl. Guidance) = (19)+7 = 26
    1d20+7 Sense Motive check (Incl. Guidance) = (5)+7 = 12
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2018-10-25 at 03:07 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    "She died... in the flames?" Zahur mutters to himself and scratches his ruffled head. He follows Morife to the remains of the wagon, both out of personal interest and out of intuitive deference to the person displaying the most leadership, and squints at the wreckage from a slight remove.

    "Pardon my ignorance", he says softly to Morife, moving closer so that the words need not carry as far, "but I always thought fortune tellers were something close to holy women. I am surprised to learn this one was claimed so easily by smoke and fire."

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    Andrei unconsciously reached for the Cyclone card, upon hearing of the fortune teller’s death. Bringing himself back to the present, he stated, “I suppose I’ll speak with Lady Almah’s guard. Perhaps they might have noticed something.”

    And so, he will attempt to locate her guards, and attempt to strike up a conversation with them.

    “So, that fire… really quite something, eh?”

    (25 diplomacy)

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    The Sultan's Claw - Nearby Eloais' wagon | Midday

    Examination of the wagon's remains reveals a grisly scene. The structure has been reduced to mostly ash, and among the soot a few broken bottles and potion vials are strewn about, from a chest or other container consumed by the fire. To the side, Morife finds a cracked crystal ball, and peppered throughout the length of the wagon are several pools of melted wax, the last remnants of the candles Eloais kept throughout her living quarters. Some of the nearby guards watch the investigation while they try to feign disinterest. They cannot help their wandering eyes as Zahur and Morife conduct a thorough search of the perimeter, while Eshe breaks out her tools and examines the body.

    At the center of the wagon lie the charred remains of the fortune teller. Practically reduced to an almost skeletal state, the flesh has been seared off revealing burned bone in many places. Others are more blackened, charred and smelling of smoke. With a careful eye, the witch realizes that there are no signs of struggle here - though the body is severely burnt, no other wounds can be found on the remains. Moreover, Eshe is able to tell from the condition and position of the body that Eloais died quickly - she'd been sleeping while the fire spread, and did not have much warning before she succumbed to the heat and suffocation of smoke inhalation.

    Zahur's foot kicks a small bag, buried in the soot. A familiar jingle, the clinking of coinage, rings out. Out of the corner of his eye, movement attracts his attention. A mangy, dark-haired, shifty man watches the investigation, apart from the guards and rest of the party. He stands at the edge of a nearby wagon, peering out from his half-hidden position behind it. His eyes lock with Zahur's and he quickly turns to leave.

    Though not formally introduced to the party, this man is Dashki, the guide that Garavel described when listing all of the potential interviewees.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Zahur finds 55 gp in a small leather bag that somehow avoided destruction in the fire. Clearly, this money belonged to Eloais, but it seems like no one noticed it besides the party...


    ---

    The Sultan's Claw - Guard's Post | Midday

    The guards greet Andrei with a curt nod. One of them walks up to greet the oracle, answering his query. "Aye, shame we've lost Eloais. She was always a pretty girl, and cheery, even when her cards would portend doom. Garavel's sent you to interview the camp, yes?" He's surprisingly helpful - it seems that he remembers Andrei's quick thinking and leadership to organize the bucket line in the midst of the crisis. The four guards all look eager to help. "What do you need to know?" the leader asks.
    Last edited by AtS; 2018-10-25 at 03:14 PM.
    My Games
    Doomsday Dawn (PF 2E) IC | The Sunless Citadel (5E) IC OOC | Legacy of Fire (PF 1E) IC

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Dark Hawk799's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    My home in the Abyss
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    While the others investigate the wagon, Samira decides to go see what Father Zasteran knows of the situation.


    "Greetings father Zasteran, we are looking to see what might have caused that dreadful fire and were curious if you knew anything that might aid us?"

    Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    Got myself a solid 22 on that diplomacy check.
    There are many perks to being a dragonslayer.


  24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    "Well, any idea what might have caused the event?" Andrei asked curiously, "Are such things common around here?"

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    Zahur throws a befuddled look over in Dashki's direction as the man turns away. Giving the area another once-over, he slips the coinpurse into a pocket of his backpack (for safekeeping of course) before heading over to tap Morife on the shoulder. "One of the caravaneers made eye contact with me. Dark hair, sketchy eyes, reminds me of the wasteland guide Garavel mentioned. I'll go see what he wants; tell me how the interviews go."

    Zahur then heads in the direction that the guide left toward, hoping to catch up. As cover permits, he moves behind wagons or people's backs to stay half-hidden, whether from Dashki or anyone else. Might as well return kind for kind, given that the man seemed to want to avoid the attention of casual observers.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    Samira

    Samira finds the elderly halfling at the makeshift infirmary. It's more just an extra tent at the edge of the caravan, equipped with a couple of beds and Father Zastoran's own personal supply of tinctures, tonics, and potions. He keeps the locked up in a small chest at the back of the tent, though when Samira arrives, he's just loaded up his arms with a bunch of vials and is having trouble closing the chest with his feet.

    "Oh! Yes, you're one of the newcomers, aren't you?" he asks, his face cheery, though he still struggles to get the chest closed, attempting, and failing to kick the lid shut. "The fire, well, I didn't see what started it... uh..." he grows a bit frustrated. "Mind giving me a hand? I need these to tend to the wounded."

    The beds in the tent are occupied by two human forms. It's Trevvis and Kallien, still recovering from their burns and resting quietly. Trevvis is sleeping, though Kallien stirs slightly when Samira strikes up the conversation with the priest.

    Andrei

    "Common? Hmm, we've had a bit of bad luck lately, but nothing so dire. Water barrels burst, wagon wheels break. I think this place is cursed." The guard seems a little superstitious, shivering a bit as he looks up at the gnarled, dry, and now-burnt tree branches of the Sultan's Claw looming overhead. "Still, I don't remember anything particularly suspicious 'round the astrologer's wagon before the fire broke out. Except..." He trails of for a second, scratching his chin, before continuing. "I did see that scout, Dashki, hanging round, but I just thought he was trying to sneak in to Almah's tent. He's obsessed with her. We've already caught him in there, smelling her clothes once. He's a bit off, but a murderer?"

    "If I had to guess what happened, I'd wager it was those damn candles Eloais kept all throughout her tent. Dry weather like this, was just asking for a stray ember to light it all up."

    Zahur

    Zahur is able to stealthily tail Dashki through the caravan. The scout takes a winding path back to his quarters, a simple hammock strung up to a copse of trees at the edge of the encampment. Still unaware he'd been tailed by the stealthy ranger, he stoops over and digs into a small bundle tied to the base of one of the trees. He pulls out a silk scarf and places it to his face, breathing deep. He then turns, and finally realizes that he's not alone.

    His face turns bright red, and he immediately whips the scarf back down, balling it up in his fist and attempting to hide it behind his back. "Oh, u-uh... Yes. Y-you are one of the n-new hires? Why have you come here? Shouldn't you be with the others?" His voice is stuttering. Clearly flustered, he immediately questions Zahur's presence.
    Last edited by AtS; 2018-10-28 at 08:15 AM.
    My Games
    Doomsday Dawn (PF 2E) IC | The Sunless Citadel (5E) IC OOC | Legacy of Fire (PF 1E) IC

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NZ

    Default Re: [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    Morife

    Nodding agreement to Zahur he watches the other man move away to tail Dashki before turning back to complete his inspection of the wagon, prodding the cracked crystal ball and solidified pools of wax. With nothing more of note he wanders briskly over to where Andrei is talking to the guards, standing a few feet back and observing the conversation. If that conversation starts to wind down he moves over to the medical tent where Samira is talking with the old halfling.

    Spoiler: actions
    Show
    Knowledge check (Arcana?), if needed, to confirm that crystal ball, candles etc are all as expected (1d20)[13]+?

    Then just sit back and us those Sense Motive rolls on any nearby interviewees - guards and then the doctor. I presume I cannot see Zahur & Dashki at present given his location.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Tome's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Somewhere lost in dream.
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    "Smoke got ta her in her sleep, looks like" Eshe declares, gently pulling a borrowed sheet over the burnt corpse as she finishes her autopsy.

    "Naught suspicious here and," she glances around the camp at the progress the others are making, "looks we won't be needing to put tha screws ta anyone jus yet, eh Muffles?".

    The bored looking cat barely bothers to stir from his resting place in her hood.

    "Let's be looking about then, see what they mighta missed" she mutters, pulling up a little magic as she starts to search.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Skype: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    Andrei nodded, mentally filing away the information, "Well, I'm sure it was just an unfortunate incident, then," he said with a polite smile, "But, I expect you've got things to do, I shan't distract you any longer."

    After saying his thanks and taking his leave, he decides to go find the animal herder next. It would be good to know if anything was left of the caravan's livestock, and perhaps the man might know something further of what had happened here.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: [IC] AtS's Legacy of Fire: Chapter 1 - Howl of the Carrion King

    Zahur scratches his head again and peers at the bundle by the tree before turning his face up toward the guide. "Well, it's been six days through the desert with just them and camel spit. Even if Almah gave us all the same tack, I figured I should go around and meet the rest of the camp. And you did seem to have something to say, back at the wagon."

    His eyes flick down to where Dashki is hiding the scarf behind his back and grow cold for a moment before returning to their normal position and tone. "Were you close to Eloais?"

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •