New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default question on things like pyromancy

so pyromancy is fire, cryomancy is ice, hydromancy is water, geomancy is earth, so what is light, dark, thunder, Psychic, Poison, Lightning, Force, and Acid
    Have you accepted the Flying Spaghetti Monster as your Lord and Savior? If so, add this to your signature!
    Beholders are just a meatball that fell out of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    my first game started on a pirate ship
    Sorry for any spelling mistake

2. - Top - End - #2

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: question on things like pyromancy

Generally, you do this by taking the greek root (ex. Hydro- for water, lumin- for light) off a site like this one
    https://www.learnthat.org/pages/view/roots.html
    And then stick it together with -mancy.
    My one piece of homebrew: The Shaman. A Druid replacement with more powerlevel control.
    The bargain bin- malfunctioning, missing, and broken magic items.
    Spirit Barbarian: The Barbarian, with heavy elements from the Shaman. Complete up to level 17.
    The Priest: A cleric reword which ran out of steam. Still a fun prestige class suitable for E6.
    The Coward: Not every hero can fight.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oddly, the -mancy ending means something like "speaking to" instead of "controlling" or "moving". If you're someone who moves fire around, I'd say you're doing pyrokinesis rather than pyromancy.

But yeah, I'd guess Photomancy, Umbramancy, Phonomancy, Pathomancy, Toxomancy, Electromancy, Psychomancy, and...I guess Acidomancy, since if Greek doesn't have a word for a thing, we tend to fall back on English.

4. - Top - End - #4

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Baphomet View Post
    Oddly, the -mancy ending means something like "speaking to" instead of "controlling" or "moving". If you're someone who moves fire around, I'd say you're doing pyrokinesis rather than pyromancy.

But yeah, I'd guess Photomancy, Umbramancy, Phonomancy, Pathomancy, Toxomancy, Electromancy, Psychomancy, and...I guess Acidomancy, since if Greek doesn't have a word for a thing, we tend to fall back on English.
    thanks you
    Have you accepted the Flying Spaghetti Monster as your Lord and Savior? If so, add this to your signature!
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Even though nobody asked, I'll add that the -mancy for air is generally Aeromancy.
    My Pathfinder homebrew:

Wanna play a cute half-dragon with a breath weapon?
    The gria (dragonfolk) (Note: No relation to the race from FFTA2.)

Unchained Monk: Now with combat precognition! And the ability to make foes' heads spin as you rush about the battlefield.
    The Martial Artist: A Combat Stamina-focused Unchained Monk archetype

Feel free to provide honest, constructive criticism! Or, heck, even just tell me if you like a thing I made, and what you like about it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Baphomet View Post
    Acidomancy, since if Greek doesn't have a word for a thing, we tend to fall back on English.
    Oxymancy, like in Oxygen? Oxygenes is literally "Maker of Acids" in Greek.

Umbra is Latin, not Greek, I would go with Erebomancy.

Psychic is a bit difficult. Pathos, as suggested above, is "feelings". Psychomancy may in fact be perfectly valid here, as Psyche is a Greek word, meaning both "mind" and "soul". Logomancy might also work, Logos means both "language" and "reason", plus a few other things.

"Force" is extremely hard to translate. Goes back to Latin "fortis", strong. I'd go for Dynamancy, from Dynamis, power. Same root as Dynamic.

So, my suggestion:
    Photomancy, Erebomancy, Phonomancy, Psychomancy, Toxomancy, Electromancy, Dynamancy and Oxymancy.

Yes, eight new ways of predicting the future. Because that's what "mancy" means. Necromancy is to summon the spirits of the dead to ask them questions. Geomancy is to throw sand into the air and interpreting details. Pyromancy is to stare into a fire until you have hallucinations. Hydromancy is throwing pebbles into a sacred pool and interpreting the pattern of the waves. Aeromancy is interpresting cloud patterns or bird flight. All real, ancient forms of divination. Well, "real".

What you probably want for "controlling" is "Kinesis", to move.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2018-10-19 at 10:53 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

7. - Top - End - #7

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FlameUser64 View Post
    Even though nobody asked, I'll add that the -mancy for air is generally Aeromancy.
    thanks it would be great to have more of these

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Oxymancy, like in Oxygen? Oxygenes is literally "Maker of Acids" in Greek.

Umbra is Latin, not Greek, I would go with Erebomancy.

Psychic is a bit difficult. Pathos, as suggested above, is "feelings". Psychomancy may in fact be perfectly valid here, as Psyche is a Greek word, meaning both "mind" and "soul". Logomancy might also work, Logos means both "language" and "reason", plus a few other things.

"Force" is extremely hard to translate. Goes back to Latin "fortis", strong. I'd go for Dynamancy, from Dynamis, power. Same root as Dynamic.

So, my suggestion:
    Photomancy, Erebomancy, Phonomancy, Psychomancy, Toxomancy, Electromancy, Dynamancy and Oxymancy.

Yes, eight new ways of predicting the future. Because that's what "mancy" means. Necromancy is to summon the spirits of the dead to ask them questions. Geomancy is to throw sand into the air and interpreting details. Pyromancy is to stare into a fire until you have hallucinations. Hydromancy is throwing pebbles into a sacred pool and interpreting the pattern of the waves. Aeromancy is interpresting cloud patterns or bird flight. All real, ancient forms of divination. Well, "real".

What you probably want for "controlling" is "Kinesis", to move.
    I stayed away from oxymancy because, though it might be technically correct, it doesn't really convey the intent very well. I think when the average person sees that word, they'll think it must have to do with moving breathable gases around. I think the rest of your suggestions fit better than mine, though. I especially like Dynamancy; the force one was a head-scratcher for me, but I think you nailed it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Caustomancy? Caustic actually means ''burning'' but it might work.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Vitriol originally referred to sulphates, but has come to mean acid via sulphuric acid (oil of vitriol, which then became shortened to vitriol). It also exists in-game in vitriolic sphere. So perhaps vitriolomancy?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nightcanon View Post
    Vitriol originally referred to sulphates, but has come to mean acid via sulphuric acid (oil of vitriol, which then became shortened to vitriol). It also exists in-game in vitriolic sphere. So perhaps vitriolomancy?
    For a word with so many syllables, vitriolomancer just rolls off the tongue. I like it.

For lightning damage, my pick is pikamancy.
    My 5E homebrew thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...omebrew-Thread

Including:

• Path of the Reaver Barbarian (kill all baddies with TWF!)
    • The Bulwark Martial Archetype (become a human shield!)
    • The Sporting Wizard (because magic is for sissies!)
    • Headhunter class (poison your weapons, scalp your enemies!)
    • Mesmer class (Int-based melee, extra reactions!)
    • Shaman class (thunderbolts and lightning!)