New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default VVVVVigil: Valorous Veterans Vanquishing Venal Vermin

The Skybase has NPC lookouts who will offer transportation to any not obviously hostile people attempting to get to the surface. This process can be completely handwaved, unless there's a very important plot reason not to.

Whereas GLoG concerns itself with redeeming evil-doers (and healing the sick and sheltering refugees etc.) and AMEN is evildoers, VIGIL takes a more neutral approach. VIGIL doesn’t concern itself with good or evil, but with kicking people who need to be kicked. It is dedicated to preventing threats to the Nexus, both massive-scale and small-scale, from muggers and exploding taverns to apocalypsoi and demonic invasions. Of course, given that evil-doers tend to be the ones who cause those things, VIGIL tends to be pitted against the forces of evil more often than not, but it doesn’t care that they’re evil, just that they’re causing trouble. Calling it a 'Good' organization is likely to draw the ire of some of the more morally relative members around. Maybe. Some members do call it a Good organization. This is because it is formed from the merging of the two organizations, WATCHTOWER and HALO. Both were similar in that they fought off those who need to be fought. But then certain elements of HALO turned around and walked away because... reasons? It's awfully confusing, but there's no real reason to care about it, so I'm not gonna!

VIGIL is an organization that exists to stop some bad things from happening. No one is entirely sure which ones, or why.

Oh, and also their base done got blowed up by demons. It was terribly inconvenient.

Current VIGIL Locations: (PLEASE USE LOCATION TAGS IN THIS THREAD OR I WILL SHOW UP IN YOUR BASEMENT IN THE DEAD OF NIGHT AND SHANK YOU).

[Felandria's House] (Temp Secondary Vigil HQ)

A giant-sized house for a giant-sized demi-goddess. Vigil is currently using this location as a temporary headquarters until a new base can be found or constructed. Likely to serve as a hub for all many Vigil activities for the near future until the Skybase is officially complete.

[Vigil Safehouse - Inside/Skyside]

A pair of safehouses, located in Inside and Skyside. The Vigil safehouses from the outside look like ordinary, unattractive worn-down apartment blocks, though they are equipped with a heavy door and security systems to prevent entry to non-Vigil members. Inside there are beds, toilet and bathing facilities, and enough supplies and equipment to last about a dozen members each for several months. Intended to be used as temporary staging bases so that Vigil can still operate semi-normally while in hiding, but light on electronic equipment, in order to avoid detection.

[Vigil Ruins]

The old base, located on a cliff-side above the lake. Done got blowed up by demons. They're still there, probably.

[Vigil Skybase] (Official Vigil HQ)

Vigil's new base, currently under construction atop a flying island hijacked from the Hunting Grounds. The island as of yet lacks propulsion, and is currently parked near Felandria's house.

Spoiler: Island Surface
    Show
    The portion of the base on the surface of the island consists of several complexes red stone buildings ringing a basin towards the upper end of the island. Flanked by several peaks, the basin serves as a natural shelter to the surface structures of the Vigil base, and is bisected by a narrow lake that flows into a river towards the lower end of the island. Plentiful footpaths crisscross the various complexes that make up the Vigil base, along with a one-way monorail that runs the length of the valley, allowing for rapid transit from one end of the base to another.

The Academy
    Placed strategically at the head of the valley, the Academy serves as a main hub for the base, splitting the two halves of the basin with a complex of several large stone structures. The largest of these structures is the Library, which contains numerous books on magic as well as the theory of warfare and martial arts; some saved from the wreckage of the former Vigil base, others new additions donated by Vigil members or the organization’s various benefactors. The Library also contains several Labs well suited to conducting magical and scientific research, map rooms for strategic planning, and a telescope observatory at the top of a tower for star-gazing. Flanking the Library are the main Armory and Clinic, as well as buildings containing indoor Training Facilities, and elevators and tunnels to the interior and underside of the island. The Library foyer and Academy courtyard also serves as a useful Reception for new visitors to the base.

The Training Grounds
    Taking up an entire half of the basin on one side of the lake, the Training Grounds serve as the main point-of-call for any open-air practice Vigil members should wish to conduct. Separate facilities include a running track; arenas for dueling and swordplay; a shooting and archery range; areas for jousting; and other such facilities for martial pursuits.

The Upper Village
    On the opposite side of the lake to the training grounds is the Upper Village, where the majority of Vigil members will make their residence. The Upper Village is primarily populated by large stone halls. Living space prioritizes economy over luxury, with large barrack halls splitting their space equally between intimately sized single rooms and larger bunkrooms for members that value their privacy a little less. Centered in between these barrack halls are a central plaza and some community buildings, including a mess hall, gym and recreational building, tennis courts and basketball hoops, laundry buildings, and a large bathhouse with group and individual baths. Close to the lake are several fenced-off gardens and open grassy areas ideal for outdoor sports, and the lakeside has a rather nice sandy beach. Magical landscaping is convenient like that.

Commanders’ Village
    A little ways uphill from the Upper Village, a set of overlooking terraces set into the mountainside are home to some modest two-story houses. These houses are space provided to the current commanders of Vigil, and each have their own amenities including kitchen, several bedrooms, and plenty of space for studies, workrooms, armories, or shrines to one’s own magnificence.

The Lower Village
    Further down the valley, near its foot where the lake narrows into a river that flows out of the basin, is the Lower Village, partially secluded from the rest of the base amidst the valley walls and the start of the woods that cover the rest of the island. The Lower Village has small, separate houses with their own gardens and more privacy compared to the communal living spaces of the Upper Village.

Emergency Monorail
    This stone railway along runs from the Lower Village, through the Upper Village, up towards the Academy. Runes placed at intervals along the railway allow for the summoning of a magic platform that moves rapidly in one direction up towards the Academy, making it useful for emergencies or other times when expedience is required.

Spoiler: Island Interior
    Show

Command/Combat Information Center
    Located deep within the heart of the island, this easily defensible underground complex could serve as a future command center for Vigil operations. As of right now, it’s sparsely furnished with a few offices including some larger offices for Vigil’s command staff, a mainframe room, and a pair of video conferencing rooms.

Battle Clinic
    Less luxuriously equipped than the main surface clinic, this clinic’s central underground location makes it an ideal spot for emergency treatment in the heat of battle.

Vaults
    Underground vaults for the storage of possible artifacts and items of apocalyptic or near-apocalyptic importance. Currently very empty.

Spoiler: Island Underside
    Show

Airship Gantry
    Carved into the underside of the island is a cavernous open-air hanger, crisscrossed by bridges and hanging platforms. As of yet, a pair large skyships built for hauling cargo currently occupies the interior, in addition to a small flotilla of yacht-sized skyskiffs for transport. Given Vigil’s past history with flying devices of all sorts, it’s likely to become the home for many more in the future. An upside-down tower near the entrance to the hanger serves as an air-traffic control of sorts, as well as a command tower with communications linked to the other exterior observation towers.

Skyship Reference (bulkier, with less weaponry)

Skyferry Reference (less fancy, no propellers)

Observation Towers
    Upside-down towers dot the underside of the island at various point, providing lookout points for sentries to observe the land below, as well as a possible platform for defensive or siege weapons to be mounted in the future.

CURRENT LEADERS (talk to these guys if you need help - of the regular kind, not psychiatric help. They're not qualified for that.)
    - Wenomir
    - Cessie Mithar

Previous Threads

Spoiler: Out of Character Notes
    Show

1. Conflict is great! It's the heart of any story, and there isn't much to roleplay without it. However, no randomly destroying the place, or doing something to it that'll produce a similar effect (for example, no placing a massive time freeze on the entire area forever). You're allowed to damage it, but destroying it just takes the fun out of it for all the other players. If you do want to run a plot in which a base or the whole organization gets destroyed, though, feel free to run your idea through OoC to see if other people like it and are willing to roleplay it out!
    2. No godmoding/godmodding. It's not permitted in other ACRONYMs, and it isn't in VIGIL. The occasional mishap's OK, repeated offense isn't.
    3. Please try and keep posts longer than one or two lines of speech. Description is appreciated. One-or-two-liners that don't do much are OK once in a while - but not regularly.
    4. If you want random smashy hahaN00BlulzFun, here's not the place. Anything spammy, random, or just plain annoying, can go! Of course, if your silliness is in moderation and well-roleplayed, and considerate of other players, then welcome in.
    5. Romance/Fanservice/Secks/WOOHOO!/Whateveryawannacallit is acceptable here, but remember to curtain once it goes past the snuggling stage, and be aware that there may be IC repercussions for dropping the curtain whenever you're online, as this is a thread with a mission. And said mission does not involve ******* like rabbits.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2018-10-20 at 02:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: a new vigil thread

[VIGIL Entrance]

Sometimes horses approach.

Well, not strictly a horse. More like half horse.

Half a horse, a quarter of a lion, and a quarter of an eagle.

Thankfully arranged in a fashion that mostly makes sense. That's hippogriffs for you.

Geneva had taken a bit of a round-about route to reach VIGIL's new locations, a little indicator shining on her EFS letting her know the proper heading. She meandered, though. Taking little side detours and lazy loops. Flying through clouds and generally enjoying herself. That was the thing Fortuna's curse had really robbed her of. Her own magic. Being able to really fly again felt wonderful. Just going all-out? Pushing her magic to the limit and listening to the wind roaring past her? Watching the earth far below racing by at a dizzying pace? There was nothing quite like it. She had to really remind herself to dial it down as she approached VIGIL's new location.

They would probably get worried about an object streaking toward them like a missile. She isn't sure if they have anti-aircraft guns or missile defenses, but all things considered she would rather not find out in a particularly person way.

As she draws near she slows to a more leisurely pace, jut a bit faster than the airships milling around the airspace. She can maneuver around them easily enough, after all. One of the upsides to magical flight, really. Being able to ignore gravity and bend inertia helps a bunch.

The flying island itself is interesting. She'll have to look into how it is held aloft. She knows how she would set something like that up. Thaumatically reinforced clouds, of course. But this monument obviously isn't a work of Equestrian engineering. Technological anti-gravity, maybe? Some kind of human magic? They're really into the elemental stuff. Would some kind of 'wind magic' do the job? Lines of inquiry are already flying off every which way, and Geneva gives her head a little shake to organize her thoughts.

"Come on, Geneva, one thing at a time," she mutters. "Let them know you're back, apologize for vanishing, and then go from there."

And then she descends, alighting at the entrance to the compound as her EFS plays a little chime in her mind.

VIGIL Skybase Discovered

Geneva is, for the record, pretty big. About the size of a normal lion with the head of an eagle, pointed ears, the front body of a lion with eagle talons, and the back-side of a horse. Her long feline tail ends in a fan of feathers. Her colors are dusky and stone greys, reminiscent of a panther or a harpy eagle. Her facial structure has a vaguely humanoid air to it, her eyes bright and inquisitive making it clear that she's no mere beast. As if the flight jacket, wrist computer, and flight goggles she's currently pulling off her eyes didn't make that obvious. Perhaps most notably is the glyph of a purple hurricane symbol superimposed over a white cloud on her haunches, five smaller clouds surrounding it. The fur itself is colored, along with the skin below it, making the image sharp and clear.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

[Edge of the Island]

The approach of a large hippogriff hasn't gone unnoticed by the inhabitants of the island. But when someone told Wenomir, he advised everyone to stand down. He knows who it might be. As Geneva flies down towards the island, she'll be met with Vigil's scar-faced, dour commander. He's silent, letting the hippogriff speak first.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #4

[Edge of the Island]

As soon as Geneva spots Wenomir, she'll flash him a friendly smile and come trotting over.

Had she ever met Wenomir before? She's sure she had spoken with Cessie and Magtok at length. But she can't recall whether or not she ever had any real contact with the resident warrior. Her thing was magic and technology. She just didn't have a great deal in common with a swordsmen.

Aside, of course, from the desire to see the Nexus a safer place.

That's a goal she can certainly get behind. Especially if it might eventually mean the salvation of her home world.

"Wenomir, right?" she begins somewhat awkwardly. "I wanted to apologize for up and vanishing after the the demons blew up the old base. The loss of my lab hit me really hard and... umm... I was kind of in a bad place for a while. But I'm not going to just sulk around because most of my work was destroyed! Not anymore, anyway. Enough sulking for me. That's a contrail I've left well behind. So I was hoping I could pick up where I left off. Start rebuilding. Do what I can to help VIGIL. I don't think I got much of a chance to talk with you, our fields of interest didn't really overlap, not that there's anything wrong with leadership and martial arts and that sort of thing! I just never really had any occasion to speak but I think maybe this is the first time we've ever really talked face to face and gosh you look really intimidating and I'm going to be quiet now."

And so she was.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

[Edge of the Island]

Wenomir was silent throughout Geneva's entire awkward monologue. Just looking at the hippogriff with a neutral expression.

"You fought with us back there and that's what counts," he finally says, making no comment about whether or not he was trying to be intimidating. "Though I indeed don't remember really speaking to you before that day. And, to be precise, I blew up the old base to keep it out of the vermin's hands." He seems to consider it an important distinction. "The lost of the old base and some of the people hit us all hard, so I can't blame you for that. As long as you're willing to do your part now."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

6. - Top - End - #6

[Edge of the Island]

He's totally intimidating.

Geneva gives a small nod. "Thank you for saying so. That understanding means a lot to me," she replies with a small smile. Her behavior seems markedly incongruous with the fact that she's a large apex predator. "And I'll do everything I can to help. Mostly I'll be working in my lab, but if my expertise is ever needed in the field you can expect me to pull my weight. I... don't exactly like violence. But I'm well enough equipped for it."

That was clear enough during the demon invasion.

She didn't have much in the way of precise discipline in her fighting style, but she made up for it with plenty of raw power.

Weather magic covers quite a bit beyond just clouds and rainbows, after all. Weaponized weather is potent stuff.

And barring that, she's still got her trusty hippogriff sized Gauss rifle.

"I have a bit of first aid training, too, so I can help with that sort of thing. And if you ever need someone to lecture a villain to death on the finer points of thaumaticly manipulating omniversal Neighnstein-Roseluck bridges then I'm your hippogriff," she adds, straightening herself up a bit and offering the biggest, most sincere smile she can manage. She has a beak, of course, so its really only the edges of her mouth that can move. But darn it, she's still going to try!

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Cessie's Office

"I- yes, you might have to." Cessie was surprised that she had actually confessed her name, but it hadn't been completely unexpected. Sooner or later she would probably have had to admit it. "But I assure you, no one else in VIGIL will learn of it." Hold on, Saint Nil, she recalled that name... curious. "It should be enough for do a discrete background check though." The sorceress nods deeply. "So I thank you for trusting me. Hopefully you will find a purpose here in VIGIL."
    Saint Lazarus adjusts her helmet, and nods. "Is there anything else we need to discuss, Miss Mithar?"
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

[Edge of the Island]

Geneva certainly is one of the most timid person of this size and shape Wenomir has ever met.

"We've got plenty of violence as it is," he says. "I don't think lecturing a villain to death is something that will need doing or has ever been done, so I'd rather you told me about the practical applications of... whatever it is you said."

9. - Top - End - #9

[Edge of the Island]

The smile falters ever so slightly, Geneva's eyes flicking off to one side nervously.

He isn't laughing.

Why isn't he laughing?

He didn't even smile!

"Haha, yeah, of course, that's why it was a jo- eerr... nevermind."

Joke failed, Geneva. You are totally crashing and burning with this first impression.

"Right! The bridge, right. I had mostly spoken with Magtok and Cessie about it. There are some worlds that are difficult if not impossible to reach from the Nexus due to a lack of natural, stable bridges between here and there. Entrance is one way. People get pulled in, but they can't get back out. The plan was that I would be building a multi-functional bridge. A gateway that could connect to any of the worlds the Nexus has ever drawn from. But only initiated from our side and only under our control. Such an asset would be strategically valuable and VIGIL would be well equipped to defend it from any of the nasty things that prowl the Nexus."

Her ears fold back a bit as she thinks it over.

"I'm kind of surprised they never brought it up to you? But then, the whole demon thing happened shortly there after and I'm sure there was quite a bit on their minds."

What with the dead people and exploding bases and all.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Cessie's Office

Cessie is just about to reply when her communicator lights up. "...terrible sorry, just give me one moment. It appears to be important."
    She takes the call. "Please be quick, I'm talking to a new member."
    The exchange is brief as the sorceress is putting down the communicator just a moment later. "Looks like your friend has arrived, do you want to come and greet her with me?"

Barracks

The sorceress nods. "You are dismissed then, miss Turath. Have a good day."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: VVVVVigil: Valorous Veterans Vanquishing Venal Vermin

[Edge of the Island]

"That would be correct, yes," Wenomir says. "In Cessie's case, at any rate. Magtok deserted with his tail between his legs after the demons attacked. Too real an enemy for him, I suppose." His expression grows darker for a second. "It's research worth doing. Especially... well. Not to knock on the main purpose of it, but if you could find a way to stop dimensional connections from opening... that could potentially cripple the demons."

12. - Top - End - #12

[Edge of the Island]

Geneva opens her beak to say something on defense of Magtok, only to close it again. Honestly, she probably knew Malice better than Magtok. Both of them were a difficult person to figure out. people to figure out. Something.

Very confusing.

Though she perks back up at the mention of alternative avenues of research, smile widening and ears erect.

"Oh! Sure, of course. That makes sense. They came in through portals, didn't they? Well, I had a prototype setup for manipulating natural transient bridges. Those are the sort that open and close on their own. The prototype was destroyed by the demons, but I've still got the notes on it. I'm sure I could probably use that as a starting point for a design that seals active portals."

Then she frowns a bit. And then begins talking, mostly to herself.

"Though excluding them from an area... that's trickier. Maybe reinforce the underlying space-time? No... that could mess with local gravity too much. It would work, hypothetically, but everyone nearby would be exposed to about fifteen gees. Thaumatic exclusion of exotic matter? That would prevent the portals from seeding, but... I'm not sure if exotic matter is a valid subject for Wicker's Wondrous Ward... Maybe Rhyme's Rebuking Repulsion? OH! Duh, oh course! Sombra's Sequestering!" Geneva exclaims, hopping a bit closer to Wenomir in excitement. "We would want Sombra's Severed Sequestering, obviously. Not only would that hedge out portals when triggered, it would also prevent future portal events from the point of ingress! So the demons wouldn't ever be able to use that location to teleport for seven days. If I could get the materials to set up a spell matrix for Sombra's Severe Severed Sequestering it would foul the point of origin for seven years! I've never tried to set up a spell matrix for a four-point alliteration incantation before but it would be a great learning experience!"

Oh.

Oh no.

Wenomir.

You've gotten her excited about something.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

[Edge of the Island]

Wenomir desperately tries to look like he understands at first, then seems to mostly give up. He manages to maintain a dignified expression, at least.

"...I think we're getting into Cessie's area of expertise here. But I'm glad you're enthusiastic about it. What kind of materials are we talking about, exactly?"

14. - Top - End - #14

Cessie's Office

"She's okay? And back already?" Saint Laz looks terribly confused. Well, as confused as someone wearing that helmet could. Isn't the standard procedure in situations like that to barge right into spooky portals and fight the monsters until you finally reach the inner sanctum of the bad, madness-inducing monster man and kick his butt or die trying? That's what all the movies and television she's watched has told her. HALO: UNMASKED had the team delving through a dungeon for the entire second season. Fans hated it.

"Sure, I guess." Hopefully her fast return isn't because she was driven mad and is here to sabotage all of VIGIL from within, in the name of her dark lord, the king and sovereign of Carcosa.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

15. - Top - End - #15

[Edge of the Island]

"Well... scroll ink works for a single-use array. Ideally I would need Equestrian gemstones to make something more permanent, but they're nearly impossible to come by in the Nexus," Geneva replies. "Though if I could manage to get a four-point alliteration incantation array to work it would only really need to work once."

She frowns a bit.

"Buuuut we wouldn't know if it would work until we actually test it... maybe it would be better to stick to the three-point spell matrix for now? I could make more of those, and it would give us ample opportunity to make sure that they'll work as expected. We should just need someone to try creating a portal into the warded area and if they get shunted back to where they started, then the array worked."

So...

A more robust teleportation defense, more or less.

Which would still be handy, especially if it'll keep those nasty demons out.

No one likes those jerks.

16. - Top - End - #16

Cessie's Office

"If our member is to be believed, she is perfectly fine. But let's find that out ourselves then, shall we?" Cessie gets up from behind her desk and presumably Saint Laz follows her to meet up with Calm Reed and Arlem.
    "Calm Reed I assume? Cessie Mithar, commander of VIGIL." She gestures at Saint Lazarus. "But I believe you two know one another."

If Calm Reed isn't preoccupied with something else, the sorceress will also offer her hand to shake.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

[Edge of the Island]

Wenomir rubs his chin.

"I won't say no to locking portals out of our home, but I am also interested in something we can take into field. Stop the demon reinforcements after attacking them. This would make it a lot easier to exterminate leaders or key targets without getting bogged down."

[Commanders' Village]

Calm Reed bows slightly and solemnly when Cessie approaches. She looks a bit confused when the sorceress extends her hand, but shakes it after a moment. She's a tall, muscular woman in a buff jacket made of dark brown leather and blue cloth, with rivets that look so dark blue that they're practically black holding the plates in place. Her head is bald and her skin is pale, with an odd blue colouration along her eyes and ears. Her eyes are a very dark shade of blue and their pupils are hardly visible, giving an impression of a great depth.

"I am Calm Reed, yes. Monk of the Immaculate Order. St. Lazarus and I were on our way to Vigil when we encountered the portal. But it actually closed by itself not long after she left to report here. It was ready to open again, but Arlem closed it more permanently. The whole thing seems to be part of a larger problem, however."
    Last edited by Morty; 2018-10-21 at 10:56 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Commanders' Village]

"Much as I might have liked to, diving into Carcosa on the spur of the moment with only two people is a great way to die." Arlem shrugs. Sorry not to live up to your heroic imagination, Laz.

"There have been other portals - though not this bad - where that guy wasn't involved at all. Plus there's no way he was behind all the attacks alone; that was just one cultist, these guys need a whole cast, a whole cult."
    That part is more to keep Cessie up to date.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #19

[Edge of the Island]

"Oh, well, less about locking portals out and more about having a defense we could trigger in the even that a bad portal did appear," Geneva quickly clarifies. "Sombra's Severed Sequestering wouldn't do anything about portals already in place, but once it's activated it would prevent further portal events in the area for the duration of the spell. If we're wanting to do something portable, then brass disks would be ideal. Brass doesn't wholly insulate against thaumatic currents like iron and its alloys do, but it provides just enough resistance that I could etch a spell matrix into it. Plus, it isn't very expensive. If you need something for closing portals that are already open, then there's a really simple technological option there. You just trigger a teleportation event inside the portal. The exotic matter seeds disrupt each other and both collapse. We could use-"

Geneva pauses before she begins flying off into another detailed explanation.

"Ah, hehe, right. No need to sit here squawking about the finer points. A little grenade that you can toss into a portal to close it," Geneva clarifies. "Something like that would be useful, right? That's what you're after? Because I'm pretty sure I could put something like that together. I'm not sure if we're really set up for any sort of mass production, though. Making them all by talon would take a while. And I'm assuming here that you're not very concerned about closing portals violently? We're not worried about any demons getting caught in the resulting gravitational sheer, right?"

The she slaps her head.

"No, come on Geneva, no jargon. It's okay if the portals closing rip any demons in transit apart? Because we're not concerned about their well-being?"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

[Edge of the Island]

Wenomir smiles for the first time in the conversation.

"Demons being ripped to pieces as they try to gate in is hardly a concern," he says. "Stopping portals from opening and closing those already open are both valuable to us. Hard to say which we should prioritize. The portability of the latter solution does make it more practical. It sounds like we couldn't use your method of stopping them beforehand without some preparation."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Barracks

Once the aircab leaves and Blanche makes her way inside, a small ugly bundle wriggles its way towards the entrance of the barracks. If nothing bars its path, the grub goes to the door and just slaps its meaty fore-body against it to knock before letting out a little SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. If no one answers, it just does it a second time. And a third. And a fourth...

Eventually someone has to answer, right?

22. - Top - End - #22

Commander's Village

Saint Lazarus doesn't have anything to add, so she just settles for a nod so everyone knows she's still paying attention. Closing the portals seems to work in the short term, but if this problem has been going on for a while, it's only going to get worse and worse until someone's forced to march a kill-team in to slap the carc out of Carcosa. Hopefully she won't end up getting voluntold to be a part of that mission.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

23. - Top - End - #23

[Edge of the Island]

Geneva's ears perk up at the smile, her own grin growing.

Of course! Of course feigning concern about the demons' well being would be humorous to the warrior. That was a joke that actually worked! She should have thought of that to begin with, honestly. Why would a stalwart warrior with no background to speak of in arcane science find weird nerd humor entertaining? She files this new information away under what she knows about Wenomir.

Quite pleased with this result, she begins trotting toward the compound proper, her tail curling like a little cane at the end.

Depending on how good Wenomir is at reading people, especially odd non-human people, it would appear that Geneva's level of tension and apprehension has dropped markedly.

"Haha, right! Those demons are jerks. And I'm pretty sure they aren't even capable of friendship. Which is awful. But there are a few creatures like that, as sad as it is," she begins. "And I think we should probably start with the sealant grenades, if you wanted to take my suggestion. They'll be much easier to create, relatively speaking, than a single-use Sequester spell matrix. Easier to use, too. And if personnel who are expecting to deal with demons are equipped with them, then we'll have a ready solution on talon! Eerr. On hand, rather. Since most of you have hands."

Her ears flatten a bit as she mutters under her breath.

"PIP personal note, use ergonomic design for human hands on sealant grenades."

A little chime sounds from the computer on her left wrist. That done, she smiles at Wenomir.

"I'm guessing the new base has laboratory space just like the old one?" she asks. "I've got quite a bit of equipment stored in my inventory spell already, and I would love to start unpacking and organizing. With my carrying capacity, it should take me fifteen trips between here and my storage space back Inside to move everything. Which is fine! I could use the flight hours since I've been loafing around way too much recently. But if VIGIL could spare a transport to take some of the load, I wouldn't object."

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by UncleWolf View Post
    Barracks

Once the aircab leaves and Blanche makes her way inside, a small ugly bundle wriggles its way towards the entrance of the barracks. If nothing bars its path, the grub goes to the door and just slaps its meaty fore-body against it to knock before letting out a little SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. If no one answers, it just does it a second time. And a third. And a fourth...

Eventually someone has to answer, right?
    It takes a good thirty seconds or so before the grub gets an answer, a muffled thud and an irritated curse coming from within before the door finally opens a little forcefully. Hopefully the grub had the foresight to inch back a little beforehand, or else it might find itself shoved rather rudely to the side!

"Alright, what do you want..." Blanche asks with annoyance, before trailing off in confusion as she looks down and spots the bizarre creature. She hasn't had the time to change out of her costume yet, but she has had the time to brew a warm mug of hot cocoa - which she seems to have spilled a little in her haste to answer the door, judging from the streaks dripping from the mug and the hastily-wiped splotch on her jacket.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Barracks

Blanche is met by a two-foot long grub, unfortunately not keen enough to have backed up for the door to open. He was knocked onto his back and his dozen little legs wriggle in the air as he gives another SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEE of annoyance and surprise. Eventually though he rolls back over and she'll see that the critter is wearing both a costume and a sign. It is dressed in a dark grey cape and a batman cowl mask, with a note taped to the forehead saying TRIK OR TREET. Unlike most people who wear Batman costumes, this one at least seemed to have black makeup on around the eyes.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Training Grounds - Wenomir & Mia]

Wenomir smiles.

"Sure, just don't mention it's from me. Considering how I get on with gods... it might be taken poorly." He pauses. "We're going to have to do it again. We've seen that it works so we'll just need to drill it until you get better at splitting your focus. No other way to do it."

"Thanks." Mia just adds at the pause. He noticed that it it a bit uncomfortable for him to talk about gods so she won't push it now. Maybe he comes back later, who knows?

Her expression goes to annoyed. it's obviously she didn't really like those tasks. "Okay." she says. "But let's not exaggerate things okay? I would appreciate it not ending up all blue tomorrow."
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

27. - Top - End - #27

Commander's Village

Cessie nods grimly, as if there weren't enough 'larger problems' already. "Something we have to keep an eye on in the future then." She crosses her arms over her chest. "I'm afraid we don't have the expertise to really track such portals so any information you might have on them could be helpful. Cults like this rarely give up since a few of them die." But then her mood seem to shift as she smiles. "But it seems like you've already done something to prove your worth then, Calm Reed. You wanted to join our ranks, yes?"

[A Visit]

Ambrosia the scholar is making yet another of her visits to VIGIL and as usual she is heading towards the commanders village. Wenomir and Cessie were the people that took the decisions after all.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

[Edge of the Island] / [A Visit]

Wenomir looks a little appalled.

"There's no need for you to fly back and forth fifteen times. We can give you an airship to load all the- oh. Hello, Ambrosia," he says, spotting the scholar.

"I will, but bruises heal," Wenomir says, smiling. "And you can't learn without a bruise now and again."

[Commander's Village]

"The cultist didn't provide much information, sadly," Calm Reed admits. "Nor was bringing him down much of a challenge. I will submit to whatever tests you see fit for joining your ranks."

29. - Top - End - #29

[Edge of the Island]

The scholar nods respectfully in the direction of the warrior. "Greetings. Am I interrupting something? Since I could try to find Cessie instead if you're busy." She only spares Geneva a brief glance, yet still smiles calmly at them both.

30. - Top - End - #30

[Edge of the Island]

Does Ambrosia look particularly scholarly?

Geneva has an eye for that sort of thing. Or at least an ear for it. If Ambrosia began talking about academic subjects with any degree of passion Geneva's interest will perk right up.

As it stands, she waves a wing in a dismisses fashion. Her primaries actually splay out like fingers on a hand, moving in a way that would suggest they're jointed. "Don't worry, miss, you aren't interrupting anything important. I was just talking with Mister Wenomir about where I should begin establishing my lab here on the premises."

Technically, she was talking about how she could close portals and explode demons simultaneously.

But close enough.

"Oh! I, haha, I totally forgot to introduce myself, didn't I?" she laughs, her tone self-conscious. "Got a little too carried away with engineering talk..." she mutters under her breath before perking up again. "Geneva Richards, nice to meet you both."

She's not really sure what sort of body language these people use during introductions. Thankfully she's equipped for hand shakes. It makes things easier.