New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: VVVVVigil: Valorous Veterans Vanquishing Venal Vermin

[Geneva's Lab]

"VIGIL is a military organization, Geneva. I know that anything I tell them, regardless how innocent the information might seem, will be used for warfare at some level. Now for instance, I will tell you that dragons function as a bane for these 'demons'. They, like spirits, have something that functions like a antithesis to their existence." She pauses as this is a rather bizarre statement. "Conceptual beings can function like that. Like vampires of this world are destroyed by sunlight these demons are destroyed are dragons. Even a single dragon-scale could melt a demon down to their base-components. I'm not sure why that is, but I've observed it happening many times."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

[VIGIL Entrance]

"Everything is clear enough," Calm Reed says. Now they'll see how they'll hold up in practice.

[VIGIL Phone]

Wenomir sighs and rubs the bridge of his nose.

"Shouldn't be longer than an hour, unless it's more urgent than that."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #123

[VIGIL Phone]

"Shouldn't be, was just curious. I'd give you a day or so, but if you're done sooner than that give me a call, 'kay?" Dena replies. "But yeah, we'll talk later then. I won't take any more of your time. Bye, bye bye..." Then she hangs up.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Geneva's Lab]

Dragons melt demons.

Okay.

Sure.

Geneva needs to constantly remind herself that things which would be considered superstition back home are very real and very viable here.

"Alright... that's useful information," Geneva replies with a nod. "If... umm... if it's the concept of dragonness that hurts them, would any sort of dragon work? Or would it have to be a particular type? And I'm guessing you couldn't just powder dragon scales, dissolve them in a solvent, and then spray the demons. Because a liquid suspension of dragon bits isn't very dragony anymore, right?"

Guh.

Why does this 'folk magic' stuff have to be so complicated? Why can't every universe stick with nice, predictable, sensible thaumology?
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Geneva's Mind]

Her ethics took some substantial blows, but she never fell far enough to deliberately lay traps for our souls, I feel confident saying that. This was done out of love, if a horrifying execution of it.
    How many people would slice their soul to ribbons for their friends?
    I don't even know if this is necessarily her fault, or mine. Maybe some part of my longed to cling to life, so strongly it sought out the closest fit it could fine. I don't know. It's all...fuzzy.

That little image flicker, from death to being in the statuette must represent that "fuzziness".
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

6. - Top - End - #126

[Geneva's Lab]

"I can't say for sure as I haven't been able to test it but so far every type of dragon that come into contact with them have had the same effect. But your assumption is correct, the material in itself isn't hurting the demons, it's what it represent. If I may use the vampire example again, some vampires are turned away by special symbols. You couldn't melt that symbol down and expect it to have the same effect as if it was whole if that makes sense." Ambrosia attempts to explain. "This does make my dragon research relevant to VIGIL however, I've been trying to figure out the link between demons and dragons, unfortunately to little success so far."

7. - Top - End - #127

[Geneva's Lab]

"Huh," Geneva grunts in reply. This sort of magic really isn't her forte.

At all.

Not even a little bit.

Aside from stockpiling dragon scales and shooting them out of a cannon she really can't think of any practical way of taking advantage of this information.

Besides just keeping lots of dragons hanging around.

"Well, I hope your dragon research goes well," she replies with a genuine smile.

[Geneva's Mind]

~Well, what matters is that you're here. And having a friend who's fellow intellectual is a huge boon. So while I'm kind of horrified about what happened to you, I'm kind of glad you're around.~

Do what you can with what you've been dealt and all that.

Though... this gets Geneva thinking...

~You know... if you can communicate with me that's some kind of magical artifact to brain interface. I bet with a bit of research I could build something you can interact with that ISN'T a brain.~

Wuh oh.

That might be dangerous thinking.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Geneva's Mind]

Oh yes. That is a potentially dark avenue of thinking.
    A very very interesting one, to these two minds, but definitely dangerous.

Something of which the ghost seems at least vaguely aware of.
    I...suppose you could, with enough effort. Going by my current observations, though, it would either have to be something living or you would have to, ah, necromance a little.
    "Necromance" totally isn't a word, but the discomfort of the idea deserves an uncomfortable word perversion.
    I think something has to have a mind or soul of its own for me to have the option of contact on my end.
    Absentee Spirit

9. - Top - End - #129

[Geneva's Lab]

"Likewise to your own research, Geneva." Ambrosia replies, matching the griffins smile (though not literary, kinda hard without a beak). "If there anything I can help with, don't hesitate to call me."

VIGIL Entrance==> Outside the base

"Alright then, let's head down then." Cessie says as she turns, gesturing to follow her. Garn is keeping a stern eye on them in case they would try anything when the sorceresses back was turned.
    Unless they actually try something, they will find themselves on a large field outside the base. "Garn will be overseeing the whole test while I'm focusing so try not to get on his bad side alright?" She smiles, all too aware that most people automatically ended up on Garn's side by simply being in his presence.

"I'm going to put some distance between me and the training field so you don't accidentally hit me. Just be careful about where you throw things, especially in my direction." She explains before walking off, leaving on the field alone with Garn.
    Just a few minutes after she is gone, humanoid beings that appear to be made up of magma, while still not being warm, start being conjured around them...
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2018-11-10 at 10:05 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130

[Geneva's Lab]

There shall be waving of farewell as Ambrosia departs!

Which means the schism in Geneva's mind isn't really needed anymore. The wall of separation is broken down and memories are shared. Geneva is now up to date!

She'll begin chatting aloud as she assembles her equipment. "I don't think I want to get involved with necromancy," she says, her tone firm and clearly unnerved by even the idea of doing something so vile.

That's probably a good thing.

After her encounter with those weird squid aliens and that library full of things Geneva came to the very healthy understanding that some subjects are best left untouched. Some knowledge is best left forgotten. At the time it had run counter to everything she felt. Knowledge was knowledge, right? It was a tool! Neither good nor bad, just depends on how you use it.

Nope.

Some tools are so tainted by wrongness that even touching them is bad.

"But I wouldn't be surprised if there's someone in the Nexus that can build living things. Hopefully with more success than we had back in Equestria,"
    she says, suppressing a shudder as she recalls the winamingos. "Since... everything we tried to make was unambiguously awful."

Oh!

And for the record, though this would probably be some time later, once Geneva is informed that more concrete information on skinwalker activity is cropped up Inside she'll share what information she has with VIGIL. That they are shapeshifters, that they can mutate people but that requires prolonged contact, that it is unknown if they actually copy memories, that fire works great on them, and that they leak super-awful magical carcinogenic compounds. Also that fire works great on them and that transmutation magic may cause their shape-shifting to go haywire. It was an effective tool against non-mutated changelings, anyway.

Geneva will also supply communicators for VIGIL members once the rest of her stuff arrives! Wrist computers that monitor vitals, offer communication, video feed, positioning data, and map data! They can also tune into several swanky radio stations around the Nexus, though they have a weird predilection toward smooth jazz.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2018-11-10 at 10:40 AM.

11. - Top - End - #131

VIGIL Entrance==> Outside the base

Great, lava monsters. Fake lava monsters, but she still has to treat them like real lava monsters. Drat, this test just keeps getting more and more complicated. Hopefully Calm Reed is a lot better at punching than Laz expects. We're going to need a lot of superhuman punches to excel here, probably.

"You've got this, right?" Laz asks, hoping the Exalted really does. At least one of them ought to excel here, or else they'll be sent to train with Wenomir in the training pits for a thousand years, and eww, no thanks. Not Laz's type, that guy. He looks like he smells like congealed sweat and leather.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

[VIGIL Entrance==> Outside the base]

Calm Reed assumes the loose, ready stance of the Water Dragon style.

"Let's see how tough they really are. I'll try to stagger them, then you finish them off with your sword. Maybe they're not hot enough to burn you at the blade's length."

She focuses and whips both of her arms forward in a hypnotic motion. Water Essence surges around her and a jet of ice-cold high-pressure water smashes into one of the lava monsters.
    Last edited by Morty; 2018-11-10 at 03:48 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Edge of the Island => Barracks

Renee gives a mock salute and a smile as she falls in step between the two guards. She hums happily along, and unless stopped, will spread sugar around onto the ground as she goes by tossing out the odd sugar cube.

Junior squirms and writhes until he's released and he'll skitter disturbingly quickly to the door. When her room is opened up, he'll skitter to the front as well. He's fast enough for Blanche to probably have a bit of trouble keeping up unless she actually picks up her pace. And hopefully by the time she opens the front door, she'll find Renee and the two guards just outside.

14. - Top - End - #134

Barracks

Blanche is taken by surprise by the grub's sudden burst of swiftness as it makes its way to the door, pausing as she snags a pair of sweatpants from her dresser before resuming the task of pulling the garment on over her underwear and pulling a baggy grey military jacket on over her undershirt. The task only takes a minute or two, even including the time it takes for her to lace up her boots, but it's still not long enough for her guest.

At least, that's what Blanche assumes when she finally opens the door as he skitters quickly down the hall. With a sigh she starts to jog after him, eventually matching his speed and reaching the door just in time to pull back and blink in surprise at the three figures standing before her."What is it?" The woman questions, her tone a mix between tired and annoyed. Great, more time to spend away from a good night's sleep. No one just shows up at your door during the middle of the night, they had to want something, and the presence of other VIGIL members suggested it might be serious.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Geneva's Lab]

There is definite approval in Geneva's decision to not embrace the necromancy.
    Her ghosty friend would not be a fan. Couldn't stop her, but definitely wouldn't be a fan.

That all being said, the entire idea seems somewhat suspect for one reason or another.
    One particular reason being the forefront of her thoughts:
    Does the world really need my influence anymore? Talking to you is one thing, but...haven't I caused enough damage with my actions?

Why give her the ability to cause more?
    "You'll do better this time!"
    She thought she was doing better last time. Her judgement is clearly a little off.
    Absentee Spirit

16. - Top - End - #136

[Geneva's Lab]

Geneva doesn't respond there.

Merely... thinks.

The idea of a friend being trapped inside a little statue like that... It reminds her too much of being stuck inside the Golden Die of Wonder. Blind. Deaf. And totally aware.

It hadn't lasted long for her, thankfully.

But what if she lost the statue?

What if it fell down a crevice somewhere?

Better not to dwell on that...

So instead? Instead she works on her getting her lab set up. And when the rest of her equipment arrives?

Woah nelly that is a bunch of gear! Really time to get to work.

It'll probably take Geneva few days to get everything up and running.

17. - Top - End - #137

[Outside the base]

The 'monsters', which really really are just cooling magma vaguely shaped in reminiscence of the VIGIL leader, appear to break apart easily as the high pressure water hits them. Simply disappearing into thin air.
    However, now two things happen. First, and likely most pressing, the magma-beings rush forward towards the two. They're not trying to hit them or anything, simply gang up on them by coming all at once. They seem fearless, completely disregarding the fact that Calm Reed is essentially disintegrating the comrades around them as they throw themselves at Laz and the terrestrial exalted. If they don't manage to grapple them or knock them off balance with their weight, they will simply attempt to grab onto the ribbons the two wear.

It should be noted that the ribbons won't come off very easily, the material is made of relatively sturdy cloth so simply tearing at the ribbons won't break the seams. The elementals don't appear to be very strong either so they will need to pull very hard to destroy them.

As for the other thing that happens, a three magma-elementals of another color have joined the fray. Their flames are an eerie blue and they don't appear to be interested in attacking the two. Instead they start to run away from the battle in different directions with a number of the red elementals chasing them.

The flying "boss" have yet to appear however.

18. - Top - End - #138

Outside the Base

Saint Lazarus does what Saint Lazarus does best. She swings her sword, hoping magma monsters have some sort of vulnerable core behind all the molten iron; something that can be undone with a really big lump of steel. Aware of how foolish this looks, she turns her head towards Calm Reed, and points towards the blue elementals down that way.

"Go! I'll keep these ones busy!" she insists. If this gets especially bad, she has alternatives to just swinging a sword around, but she still has all three ribbons, so let's not rush into anything too crazy just yet. It wouldn't be very good for our reputation to go full zombie and wake up to find ourselves chewing on Lady Mithar's throat, after all.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

[Outside the base]

Calm Reed meets the oncoming elementals with straight kicks and punches that should knock them down or even shatter them, given how fragile they are. When Calm Reed speaks, she takes a quick look around.

"I can't reach them all in time. When I'm about to land on my feet, jump!"

She leaps into the air and lands, her foot creating a shockwave when it hits the ground. It unsettles the ground beneath the red elementals, possibly knocking them prone and letting the blue ones escape. When Calm Reed finishes this move, her body begins glowing in deep blue, with a white core to it, like sand under clear water. The whites of her eyes take on a blue tinge and her skin glistens as if she'd just left water.
    Last edited by Morty; 2018-11-17 at 05:36 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Barracks

The grub gives a happy little cry as it lunges forward, latching onto Renee's leg before inching his way up, over her back, and to rest on her shoulders and neck like a scarf. She gives a smile and holds up a sugar cube for him to nibble on. "I can see you took good care of him. Thank you for not squishing him like I imagine many people would want to." She says before offering her left hand to Blanche. "I'm Renee. You were at my father's party and it seems this little guy decided to stow away and be a nuisance. I hope he wasn't too much of a bother. Anything I can do to repay the favor?"

21. - Top - End - #141

Outside the Base

The magma beings are no more resistant against Laz's sword than they are against Calm Reeds jet blasts, two of the four elementals attacking immediately crumbling to bits as it cuts through like a heated knife through butter.
    But while Lazarus have no problem destroying the elementals within her swing range, the two that aren't cut straight through as she swings are getting right in her face, quite literary, where she will be unable to swing her sword as effective. They are attempting to grapple her, trying to keep her from easily moving away as one of them is swiping at the knights ribbons with its hand which suddenly have grown wicked black claws where human-like fingers once were.

There is also two more elementals that manifest some distance away from Laz, though she likely don't have to worry about them right this moment.

If Laz decides to jump when Calm Reed leaps up into the air, these two will attempt to cling onto her unless she can shake them off somehow.

Since as Calm Reed lands, the shock wave throws all the red elementals to the ground, including the ones that just were conjured, and would likely throw the saint off balance as well.

22. - Top - End - #142

Barracks

The slightest hint of a smile cameos as Blanche watches Junior squirm its way back, up and around his owner. It was quite adorable, and she wasn't heartless. Not by a long shot, frankly, though she wouldn't admit it. Blinking the sleep from her eyes, the medic reaches out and shakes Renee's hand. It's not a weak grip, but it's not quite firm - like it would be sturdier if she wasn't so quick to try and pull away.

"Uh, no, he was pretty easy to deal with. Though a little confusing at first." The catgirl is still not fully awake, and a caught a little off-guard to be woken up just to be thanked for something, and it takes her a second to realize she forgot to introduce herself. "I'm uh, Blanche, by the way. Blanche Turath." She pauses. "W-wait, repay me? I'm... not sure that's necessary, it wasn't that big of a deal. Although, I did have to leave because of you in the first place.... Hm, I guess we could exchange numbers, call you if I think of anything?" The woman shrugs.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

23. - Top - End - #143

Outside the Base

Close-quarters situations like this one are exactly why Saint Lazarus has her rondel dagger at her side. Of course, she has to leave her zweihander embedded in the face of a fading lava monsters before she can draw her sidearm, but that's okay. She'll pick it back up off the ground when she needs it again; no big deal. Just gotta stay on the defensive, focus on stabbing at anything that gets too close, and-oh crap, Calm Reed needs us to jump? Jeez, fine. Not like Laz didn't have enough to worry about, right? Already lost one ribbon to the magma monsters shaped like the woman in the poster on her bedroom wall when she was a kid leader of VIGIL, can't risk losing the other two.

She places her hands on the shoulders of one magma-Cessie, flipping up and over before the moment of impact. Woo, a front flip! She almost perfectly sticks the landing, too! Just...just ignore that slight limp in her step as she turns back around. I'm sure it's nothing. Everything will be fine!
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

Arriving

There's a person getting a lift in a sky-ferry to the base. They're... A pretty odd-looking person. Female, tall, human, or at least sort of. Heavily mutated, their limbs are too long, with gangly arms and legs in comparison to their body length. They have long bright orange hair and dark brown skin, with large eyes. They're clad with a single plain grey shirt and matching trousers, and visible on their lower back is a symbol resembling the Greek letter omega upside down, or possibly an elaborate U or C.

Hair and skin are both natural, and her eyes are black orbs with no differentiation between iris, pupil and sclera. Her proportions are off, too; her torso's sized right for human normal, yet she stands about two and a half metres tall.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

[Outside the Base]

Calm Reed will proceed to try to simply stomp as many of the prone elementals into the ground as she can before they get up, focusing on those who were chasing the blue ones earlier.

[Arriving]

The new arrival is greeted by a fairly skinny (relatively so) half-orc man, wearing a curious outfit made up of pants and entirely too many belts. Maybe it's a fashion statement of some sort.

"Welcome to Vigil. What is your business with us?" he asks.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

Arriving

Makuro looks down at the half-orc as she disembarks, and smiles. "My name is Makuro. I wish to join. What is the process?" As she moves, despite her weird proportions, she's smooth and graceful, and gives an impression that she could be pretty quick if she wanted to be. There's a fair bit of power bundled up in her strange build, and there's a slight ripping velcro sound whenever she lifts her feet.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

[Arriving]

"We're going to have to speak to one of the established members, who will evaluate you," the half-orc says. "If you can tell me what your skills are, it'll be easier to find the right person."

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

Arriving

"Well, um, whatever did this to my body wiped a lot of my memory. I remember singing when I was properly human, but not much else. But now? I can walk up walls and across ceilings, I'm fast, strong and I've got good reaction speed. Faster than normal, I think. I've only been like this for three days, or so I remember, so there's probably stuff I haven't figured out or tried yet." There actually are things she doesn't know she can do yet. Two of them, and I know what they are and one was mentioned in her last scene- ability to see so long as there's some light, so only complete darkness hampers her sight.

29. - Top - End - #149

[Outside the Base]

Calm Reed and Laz will get a few moments of pause as the elementals are taking a fair but to get up, giving the monk ample chance to destroy the ones on their back.
    This also have another benefit as there seem to be a set number of elementals that can be conjured at the time, so only two new ones appear near Calm Reed as she is busy destroying the fallen ones.

But once that respite has passed, something else is added to the mix as a sudden shadow appear overhead.

If they look up, a huge three-headed creature with giant wings made up of vog darkening the skies. It, unlike the elementals, can actually make a sound, roaring loudly with all its three hydra-like heads as it swoops down towards them.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

[Arriving ==> Training Grounds]

"Looks like something foir Commander Wenomir," the half-orc says. "Let me take you to him."

The half-orc leads Makuro to the training areas, where Wenomir is observing some young adventurers practising with a variety of weapons, standing motionless on a raised platform.

"Commander?" the half-orc sounds uncertain. "There's... a new member candidate here for you."

Wenomir turns around and looks at Makuro, as if waiting for her to introduce herself.