New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Reach spell feat question

Hi,

I play 3.5, my build is Wizard 3 /War Weaver 5/incantatrix 3/ Spellguard of Silverymoon 4 / Legacy Champion 5

I read online that the Reach spell feat turns touch spells into 30' range spells for legal Chain spell feat and Persistent Spell feat.

My build is almost exclusively based on buffing the party.

I was wondering, with war weaver 5 and spellguard of silverymoon 4, could I cast a spell with the range: personal into the Enlarged Tapestry with both the persistent spell feat and Reach spell feat applied to it to have the buff applied to everybody for 24 hours?

I know that I can already cast spells with range: personal into the Enlarged Tapestry but at the moment, I don't use Reach and a forum user told me that I can't apply persistent spell feat on a spell with range personal if it's cast in the Enlarged Tapestry since the range is now Close.

I try to find a way to persist the buff in the Enlarged Tapestry.

Thanks for the information and have a nice day.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Reach spell feat question

Spellguard of silvery moon doesn't change the range, just allows you to cast it on an ally with a touch. That wouldn't stop it being a personal range spell and therefore incompatible with war weaver.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'll change my build if needed but all the war weaver guides online includes this as a good build. It's possible they are wrong but I would like a confirmation on that please before I change everything,

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Reach Spell provides that you may cast a spell with a range of touch at a distance. Touch range =/= Personal range, they are separate range categories at the SRD. This trick only works if your DM is kind enough to ignore that RAW fact and say that like Chrissie Hynde you have to touch yourself to cast a range: personal spell.

Spellguard of Silverymoon:

At 4th level, the spellguard of Silverymoon may cast any personal-range defensive arcane spell on another character with a touch. For this purpose, a defensive spell is one that improves AC, increases a saving throw modifier, or grants additional hit points (either by healing wounds or by bestowing temporary hit points).
    That's not changing the range category of the spell unless you have a generously-minded DM, the spell remains a range: personal one.

War Weaver:

At 5th level, you can stretch your magic across your eldritch tapestry beyond normal distances. Spells you cast through an eldritch tapestry have their range category increased: touch spells become close range, close-range spells become medium range, and medium-range spells become long range. Long-range spells and spells with fixed ranges are unaffected.
    But the problem is that this ability applies only to spells cast through an Eldritch Tapesty. And per War Weaver's description of Eldritch Tapestry...

Only spells with the "harmless" designation in their saving throw entry or ones requiring willing targets can be cast into an eldritch tapestry. In addition, spells with a range of personal cannot be cast through an eldritch tapestry.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Zhepna View Post
    I read online that the Reach spell feat turns touch spells into 30' range spells for legal Chain spell feat and Persistent Spell feat.
    That's very debatable. There are no rules that refer to a specific order in which Metamagic feats are applied, or even if there is an order at all (in which case they must all be applied at once)

This statement that Reach spell makes such spells legal for Chain and Persistent spell is not necessarily incorrect, but it's at best a "ask your DM" question.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's very debatable. There are no rules that refer to a specific order in which Metamagic feats are applied, or even if there is an order at all (in which case they must all be applied at once)

This statement that Reach spell makes such spells legal for Chain and Persistent spell is not necessarily incorrect, but it's at best a "ask your DM" question.
    Going into RAI, "fixed range" means "60' range divination spells".
    Semper ludens.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

I know I am late but I worked on a build that does what I think you want. It's simplified but the base point is there.
    Silverbrow human cleric, druid, sorcerer or wiz
    Feats- Spell focus transmutation, ability enhancer, reach spell, practical magic (on reach), and sudden empower
    Key equipment: lesser Rod of Metamagic Chaining (27,200 gp) works on 3rd lvl spells or lower that have a single target and range longer than touch, 3 times per day.
    Key spells: Animalistic Power, and any other buff that increases stat I prefer Owl's wisdom.

Cast Animalistic Power with Ability Enhancer it +4 to str, dex, and con. Then Reach Spell makes it a range touch. Practical Magic lowers the cost to take a 3rd slot. Then Sudden Empower takes the bonuses from a +4 to a +6. Then use lesser Rod of Metamagic Chaining to buff whole party with +6 to all physical stats. Then use and other buff spells that are situationally appropriate. I like Owl's wisdom for saves and wisdom based characters. So on turn 2 whole party has a +6 to all physical stats and +6 to preferred mental stat. Build is functional at lvl 6 (if you can somehow get your hands on a the Rod), and fully functional by lvl 9.

I am not interested in arguments against the Reach Spell not working on touch spells. I have heard all the arguments and I find the opposing side weaker.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Reach is for space, not time. No feat allows reach for Necromancy.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2