New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Kill6BillionDemons II: The Successor's coming will be followed by 108 burning thr

So. Yeah. You were right.
    We do indeed have another case of one demi-urge getting in the way of another, and spoiling his plans
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

2. - Top - End - #812
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Kill6BillionDemons II: The Successor's coming will be followed by 108 burning thr

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Right now, I think it's trying to show the weaker Demiurges coming to a realization of "Oh carp, THIS is what we promised to stop? We did not take this seriously enough at all."
    I think they relied on Solomon being an honorable man as well as him being so strong. They knew he wouldn't break the pact, even though he was strong enough to basically steamroll any one of them, save Jaggy.

They went along with it, IMO, because it made their domains 'secure' for their own purposes. they didn't have to watch their 'borders' because their borders were 'secure'. And when you rule over bugs, what need have you to prepare to fight?
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    They went along with it, IMO, because it made their domains 'secure' for their own purposes. they didn't have to watch their 'borders' because their borders were 'secure'. And when you rule over bugs, what need have you to prepare to fight?
    Depends, if those bugs are Gog-Agog, she can bug you into playing with her when she feels left out.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rydiro View Post
    Depends, if those bugs are Gog-Agog, she can bug you into playing with her when she feels left out.
    Not many people would be agog over Gog-Agog. Whose name is a palindrome.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

I really don't get all the Zaid-hate in the comments. I mean yes, he is a damsel in distress with next to no characterisation yet.
    But isn't that just a commentary on the trope of damsels, genderflipped?
    People are just hating on the damsel in distress. Which i think is kinda mean.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Troll in the Playground

Well, a lot of people tend to take the most negative possible interpretation of his opening scene which is an attitude that fits a big part of this comics fanbase. Personally I have enough faith in the author to think they will find time to flesh him out into an actual character before everything is done.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Well, a lot of people tend to take the most negative possible interpretation of his opening scene which is an attitude that fits a big part of this comics fanbase.
    Ah yes and they conveniently forget about Allison using Zaid to cross off her "losing virginity" chheckbox.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I'm kind of split on getting to see the big fight the series has been working to and finding it boring because despite all the flash as I have no idea if any of these hits are actually causing any damage. Especially when the pace seems slower than it should, we all know there's going to be a bunch of betrayals getting thrown in here so lets get to them.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Colossus in the Playground

I just never really cared about all the big fights. I'm here for the characters and the worldbuilding, and this has barely any of either. I might just come back in half a year and leaf through this chapter.

Honestly, if the comic ends here, I'll be hugely disappointed. So much interesting stuff open, and it just ends with "And they all fighted. The end."
    Resident Vancian Apologist

10. - Top - End - #820
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    I'm kind of split on getting to see the big fight the series has been working to and finding it boring because despite all the flash as I have no idea if any of these hits are actually causing any damage. Especially when the pace seems slower than it should, we all know there's going to be a bunch of betrayals getting thrown in here so lets get to them.
    Isn't the only one who is gonna be betrayed Jagganoth?
    Incubus is secretly backing Allison until Jagganoth is out of the way.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I just never really cared about all the big fights. I'm here for the characters and the worldbuilding, and this has barely any of either. I might just come back in half a year and leaf through this chapter.

Honestly, if the comic ends here, I'll be hugely disappointed. So much interesting stuff open, and it just ends with "And they all fighted. The end."

Good for you I guess? I'm loving the big fights. Also there is zero chance whatsoever that this comic ends on this big fight scene.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Colossus in the Playground

The author said it's almost over, though.
    And I mean, I like the big crowd scene fights. Those are always amazing to look at. But this has just been weeks of I'm charging my Energy Attack à la Dragonball Z and I'm done with that.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

13. - Top - End - #823
    Ogre in the Playground

The problem with the current fight, as I see it, is that there's no real stakes. On the one hand, Allison isn't powerful enough to meaningfully participate, so she's just been reduced to an observer. On the other hand, Jagganoth is invincible, so we know he's not going to be defeated here. So what's at risk? The survival of the other demiurges? Why would we care about them? They're all huge jerks. There's no reason for us to be invested in the outcome of this fight, so it's become somewhat tedious.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    The author said it's almost over, though.

But this has just been weeks of I'm charging my Energy Attack à la Dragonball Z and I'm done with that.
    It's definitely easier to leave for a bit and so you can read it all at once.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Titan in the Playground

Good for you I guess? I'm loving the big fights. Also there is zero chance whatsoever that this comic ends on this big fight scene.
    Yeah. This fight has just about been one awesome moment following another.
    David got a couple exceptional moments. Like when he erupts from the ground. Or goes "dam be it all" and jump into Jaggernoths world blender.
    We get to see Incubus be serious at last. We get Mottom finally finding a bit of spine.
    And we get Jaggernoth being quite boss about it all.

In one way or another they are all monsters. And horribly flawed. But i still think them quite interesting.

So what's at risk?
    And no. Whats at risk here is all of creation. If you missed it. Then Jaggernoth is on a mission to end pain by destroying everything.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    And no. Whats at risk here is all of creation. If you missed it. Then Jaggernoth is on a mission to end pain by destroying everything.
    I'm not actually sure that that's Jagganoth's goal, going from what he said before this fight started. But even if he is trying to destroy creation, this fight isn't going to decide whether or not he succeeds, because Allison is going to be instrumental in that decision and she isn't able to participate in this fight. So again, what is actually the stakes of this conflict? As far as I can tell, nothing.

17. - Top - End - #827
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

"Is this it? Is this the climactic scene everything's been building toward or not? Are we at the final battle, right here in this canyon arena?"
    "I don't... think so? Feels kinda sudden. And there are still a lot of loose ends, right? Way too many for a post-credits scene, even a really indulgent one."

The Order could have stood and fought Xykon, but we the readers knew that it was way too early in this last book of Order of the Stick for the ultimate fate of Xykon and Redcloak to be wrapped up. (And because Elan has a direct line to the narrative, that knowledge could reach the characters.) No matter what the in-universe stakes are, we knew the story wasn't going to end with a showdown in the canyon. At most, Xkyon would be sent back to his phylactery, or for a really extreme case, the Order would get killed and find that the afterlife was right where they needed to be. But the story wouldn't end; Team Evil wouldn't be resolved there.

It's much the same here, with this big showdown between the demiurges. There's certainly going to be some takeaway from this. Maybe Solomon David will get killed? Maybe Jagganoth will say something important to Allison? But despite the phenomenal in-universe stakes, we the readers know that it's too early for things to really get resolved, so all this sound and fury is just filling pages — spectacularly — until we get back to the meat of the story.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not actually sure that that's Jagganoth's goal, going from what he said before this fight started. But even if he is trying to destroy creation, this fight isn't going to decide whether or not he succeeds, because Allison is going to be instrumental in that decision and she isn't able to participate in this fight. So again, what is actually the stakes of this conflict? As far as I can tell, nothing.
    No, Jaggernoth makes it pretty clear that the death he brings is a blessing. So just for a start, the stake of this conflict is an entire world.
    That might be nothing to you. Im quite certain its not nothing to the people living on it. Or the countess people already killed on arrival.

And if thats not enough, Allison pretty clearly is out of her depth, so as such her fate is also at stake.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Ogre in the Playground

No, Jaggernoth makes it pretty clear that the death he brings is a blessing. So just for a start, the stake of this conflict is an entire world.
    That might be nothing to you. Im quite certain its not nothing to the people living on it. Or the countess people already killed on arrival.
    That's the stakes for the comic as a whole, yes. But it's not the stakes for the currently ongoing fight, because this is not the grand finale of the story.

And if thats not enough, Allison pretty clearly is out of her depth, so as such her fate is also at stake.
    A I see it, it is precisely because Allison is out of her depth her fate is not at stake. She cannot meaningfully participate in this fight. If any of the belligerents were to seriously attack her, she would just die. So she's not going to be attacked.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Troll in the Playground

Guys - you are arguing about different things. This is essentially an Elan/Roy argument. Story Structure vs In-Character Observations.

21. - Top - End - #831
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

I guess jagganoth wants to kill metatron to kill fate/the wheel.
    He sees people as having no real existence (since they are all fated to act a certain way).
    The people who die were always meant to die, its not his doing as long as fate exists.
    For him, the only meaningful life begins when metatron dies.

22. - Top - End - #832

Now we see the violence inherent in the system!

SD is showing off.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Okay, this seems kind of stupid on Solomon David's part, assuming Jagganoth no-sells it due to his invulnerability (which SD knows about!). It might be more productive to use your impossible superspeed and destructive power not against the one target capable of resisting it, but against the rest of his various weapons. To be sure, an unarmed Jagganoth is still plenty dangerous as a giant indestructible wizard, but most of his techniques so far are channeled through his weapons. Ordinarily, I'd suggest chucking him into space, but teleportation seems to be one of the basic functions of the Keys, so that's less productive than it would be against other fictional juggernauts.

24. - Top - End - #834
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thales View Post
    It might be more productive to use your impossible superspeed and destructive power not against the one target capable of resisting it, but against the rest of his various weapons.
    I think that's what he's doing. His multiple clones are attacking from all directions, breaking armor and presumably weapons in the doing.

Course, that also assume he doesn't summon more...

And Allison is learning what several hundred - thousand? - years of experience and practice really means.

She's only dipped her toes.
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2021-02-05 at 01:07 PM.

25. - Top - End - #835

Looks like he's busting up his armor.

So you'll have an angry, naked Jagganoth.

26. - Top - End - #836
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutx View Post
    So you'll have an angry, naked Jagganoth.
    The first, I think, is superfluous. He's always angry.

On the downside, he doesn't have purple shorts. Just a greyish thong.
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2021-02-05 at 01:14 PM.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Guess we're going to get a good luck at the nails next time.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    The first, I think, is superfluous. He's always angry.

On the downside, he doesn't have purple shorts. Just a greyish thong.
    What does a dead man have to be angry about? He's just.. disappointed.

More seriously Jagganoth seems to be convinced that he is privy to some secret truth about the universe and knows the correct way forward because of it. I don't think he's angry at the other demiurges so much as he wishes they would see his point.. but since they won't, they regrettably have to be removed. (Or not regrettably, because they're already dead, really, so it doesn't matter all that much when their bodies catch up to that fact.)

29. - Top - End - #839

Gog-Agog flying made me laugh. Wheeeee!

30. - Top - End - #840
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler: new comic
    Show
    Turns out it was a Steven Universe fanfic all along.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight