New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Kill6BillionDemons II: The Successor's coming will be followed by 108 burning thr

Quote Originally Posted by rooster707 View Post
    No comics this week while Abbadon prepares for the LANCER Kickstarter, which launches on the 8th.

I keep seeing the mech art on his Twitter and it looks incredible, but I haven’t looked into the lore or mechanics of the game at all... probably gonna back it anyway. I stopped doing Kickstarters a while ago, but Abbadon deserves all of my money.
    Starting a new project without killing the old one is generally a bad thing. Something loses attention.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Kill6BillionDemons II: The Successor's coming will be followed by 108 burning thr

Abbadon's been working on Lancer for months now.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsandlich View Post
    Years. I suspect it's been showing.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Starting a new project without killing the old one is generally a bad thing. Something loses attention.
    While I’d tend to agree in principle...

...yeah, this. ^ Also, Lancer is a team effort; there’s at least one other person involved right now and I believe they’re currently looking for more. This is not Abbadon just writing, drawing, and designing an entire RPG/setting from scratch all
    by himself.
    Last edited by rooster707; 2019-04-01 at 05:03 PM.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by rooster707 View Post
    While I’d tend to agree in principle..
    I didn't know about this before now, but I do think the production rate and quality of KSBD has declined for a while now.

...yeah, this. ^ Also, Lancer is a team effort; there’s at least one other person involved right now and I believe they’re currently looking for more. This is not Abbadon just writing, drawing, and designing an entire RPG/setting from scratch all
    by himself.
    Whatever, it's a distraction either way. If it's good enough to replace KSBD he should drop this, if it's not, he should drop that. His call, but drop one, is what I'm saying, I'm not feeling like Lancer is my sort of thing, but I'm a random, could be everbody else likes Lancer.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2019-04-01 at 03:04 PM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, the last time an artist I liked did it, the 2nd project didn't last very long and went completely unfinished because the authors acknowledged they couldn't keep up with both comics.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

We should consider that this is Abbadon's full time job, though. That comic and associated projects pay him almost twice what I make as a teacher. Most other webcomic authors do it as a hobby, in their free time, for little to no recompense. This means he has much more time to spend on his projects than most.

Besides, he's published at least one other PbtA RPG system to no discernible impact on the comic, showing he can handle it. I'm more inclined to think this is less him splitting his attention and more a way to not have to think about the same thing all the time.
    Last edited by Weimann; 2019-04-03 at 12:54 PM.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

I didn't know about this before now, but I do think the production rate and quality of KSBD has declined for a while now.
    Could you expand on this? I didn't get the impression much has changed. Although the update rate has slowed a bit.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    Could you expand on this? I didn't get the impression much has changed. Although the update rate has slowed a bit.
    I don't know that I can in any detail, the slower updates and maybe a loss of understandable-ness?

10. - Top - End - #280

I don't know that I can in any detail, the slower updates and maybe a loss of understandable-ness?
    A LOSS?

Actually, the story has always been extremely obscure. The first book started in medias res, and it's only in the last half of the book that something like "plot" started shining through. You need to read the story many times over. You need to refer to the commentaries and the tumblr to get basic information about anything. In some cases, the K6BD-Wikia has picked up the slack and provides meaningful references.

As far as I know, this is not an oversight, it's by design. To make the story less predictable, and to get the reader involved - you have to research and speculate by yourself, or you get lost there.

Still to this point, we have no idea on so many important topics of the story that it hurts. Basically characters with the exception of Allison are speaking in riddles, based on that they know their world, and we readers don't.

11. - Top - End - #281

The LANCER Kickstarter is live and already at about 75% to its goal within an hour. This pleases me.

Link, presented without further comment.
    Last edited by rooster707; 2019-04-08 at 11:10 AM.
    Show
    What this guy said.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Hazama avatar by me. Other avatars that I've made:
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

More Diogenes references!

Spoiler
    Show
    I suspect Meti didn't actually mind being fed to the dogs after death.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Speaking of references. There was one text how some from the school wanted to die, but can't find it anywhere.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Actually it's reference from the alt text from a few pages back. Maya asked what she should do with Meti's body if she were torn apart by her enemies, and Meti said she should just feed it to the dogs. Meti really didn't give a damn about what happened to her body after death

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    Actually it's reference from the alt text from a few pages back. Maya asked what she should do with Meti's body if she were torn apart by her enemies, and Meti said she should just feed it to the dogs. Meti really didn't give a damn about what happened to her body after death
    Specifically, the alt text to this page. Incubus followed her orders even beyond the end.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

That is the Diogenes reference- Meti's quote there is a direct paraphrase of Diogenes' own attitude towards burial rites.
    Hazama avatar by me. Other avatars that I've made:
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Which actually may be some interested implied subtext, when coupled with the whole head shaving thing.

It doesn't really look like Maya ever actually shaved her head with the sword, while Incubus did it without question. Meti told them to feed her body to the dogs when she was dead, and Incubus actually did it.

I'm getting the impression that what Maya ACTUALLY hates about Incubus is that Meti liked him better than her as a student.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Which actually may be some interested implied subtext, when coupled with the whole head shaving thing.

It doesn't really look like Maya ever actually shaved her head with the sword, while Incubus did it without question. Meti told them to feed her body to the dogs when she was dead, and Incubus actually did it.

I'm getting the impression that what Maya ACTUALLY hates about Incubus is that Meti liked him better than her as a student.
    Yeah, I get that impression as well. Maya seemed to learn swordsmanship while rejecting Meti's philosophy, while Incubus embraced the sword and philosophy both.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Yeah, I get that impression as well. Maya seemed to learn swordsmanship while rejecting Meti's philosophy, while Incubus embraced the sword and philosophy both.
    Except he didn’t accept the philosophy - if he did he would have thought the sword a monumentally stupid weapon and gone to have built a house instead.

They both learned what they wanted to learn (sword art), and they both ignored various things.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Now i am wondering if Incubus actually just challenged Meti to a regular duel,
    to test if he had surpassed his old trainer.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

22. - Top - End - #292
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think its possible that Meti never even considered Maya a true student and thus never formally taught her the Sword Law. She has the honorific "ten Meti", but when the girl says "then you became her second [apprentice]", Maya doesn't directly answer her. Its possible that Meti spent her entire time teaching Incubus misgendering him(which is why her Sword Manual refers to her student as a girl), I mean, she wasn't the most pleasant individual.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

I think its possible that Meti never even considered Maya a true student and thus never formally taught her the Sword Law. She has the honorific "ten Meti", but when the girl says "then you became her second [apprentice]", Maya doesn't directly answer her. Its possible that Meti spent her entire time teaching Incubus misgendering him(which is why her Sword Manual refers to her student as a girl), I mean, she wasn't the most pleasant individual.
    The problem is that the sword manual doesn't just refer to her apprentice as a girl, it says her only apprentice is:
    ...an idiot speck of a girl with more talent for eating than skill with the blade
    ...which definitely describes Maya (or is at least how Meti might describe Maya), but doesn't really describe anything we know about Incubus. We have no reason to think he's a big eater, whereas Maya was introduced ignoring the giant death battle behind her to finish eating her noodles.

Another problem is the way the Seven and Incubus seem to regard Maya vs. Incubus. It wouldn't make sense for them to hold Incubus in contempt and to view Maya as legitimate if Incubus was Meti's only student.

I think it's more likely that:

1. Incubus had already left or been kicked out by that point (hence 'only apprentice'), or,

2. Maya is leaving something else out. It's entirely possible, given Meti's contempt for people who use swords, that she took the incompetent, disobedient student and not the competent dangerous one. That is to say, she'd recognize Incubus' fanaticism and desire to master killing people with swords at any costs, and to her this would be a reason to not train him.

3. Something else weird is going on here.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2019-04-18 at 10:43 AM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, Incubus was a starving urchin at that point, its possible that he was just as big of an eater as Maya is now

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

There's also this and this from Abaddon's tumblr.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

Interesting. I notice that in the most recent now Maya's head is shaved.

And yeah, this is definitely informing us why everybody said Meti only had one apprentice.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2019-04-24 at 05:57 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

27. - Top - End - #297

GreataxeFighterGirl

I just really wanted to pop in and say yes, I just started the comic, and it has made me so happy over the past week.

and then I slink away

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    And yeah, this is definitely informing us why everybody said Meti only had one apprentice.
    Apparently, Incubus wasn't an apprentice for Meti, but a Lesson for Maya - which might feed into his own inferiority complex since he thought he was an apprentice.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Colossus in the Playground

See, I would have said the one who most definitely lost this exchange is the rat.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

30. - Top - End - #300

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    I just really wanted to pop in and say yes, I just started the comic, and it has made me so happy over the past week.

and then I slink away
    Congratulations! Welcome to the thread, hope you enjoy your stay.
    Show
    What this guy said.