New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Kill6BillionDemons II: The Successor's coming will be followed by 108 burning thr

Spoiler: latest
    Show
    Yea Gaze needed to say Chain will only get one shot and it's a million to one. Then it might have worked.

To be fair Chain taking over for Solomon would probably be enough to start the next big war so you never know.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Kill6BillionDemons II: The Successor's coming will be followed by 108 burning thr

If she wins(draws blood), doesnt she get a wish?
    I have a feeling she wont wish for the throne.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Colossus in the Playground

Is it me or is this entire arc starting to feel dragged out? I'm kind of fed up with duelling scenes and ever bigger special moves.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2020-07-17 at 09:04 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ogre in the Playground

It's not just you. I'm kinda reminded of Dragonball at this point.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

5. - Top - End - #665
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    It's not just you. I'm kinda reminded of Dragonball at this point.
    Only ... without all the yelling.

Who knew breathing exercises like that played such a role in making someone stronger?
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I think we're nearing an end to the tournament arc - Solomon seems to be taking White Chain out for a 'you'll grow out of it when you're older' speech. This seems very gendered, especially as much of White Chain's growth is about her comfort with her gender identity, whereas Solomon speaks of 'great men'.

I think the critique of Solomon is the quintessential critique of any stifling, bureaucratic, tyrannical regime: the trains may come on time but free expression and liberty are also fundamental to the human experience. George Orwell once said "To a man with toothache, utopia consists of not having toothache" and I think that's key here. Solomon has built a world without the anarchic violence or incessant war of Rayuba-as-was, but it depends on tyranny to maintain itself. I do think some scenes to show Solomon was a despot would have made this stronger.

Yes, in the crapsack world(s) of KSBD I'd rather live in Solomon's ordered and perfect tyranny than most of the universe, but the reader and only true audience of the critique currently lives in the real world which has its democracies and its tyrants.
    Here is my DIY D&D blog, where I post my thoughts and homebrew ideas, mainly for 5e. Currently I'm working on Sea Wolves, an Age of Sail setting undergoing systems collapse.

Here is where I posted my Let's Read of the 5e Monster Manual and here are my current Monster Reviews.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Titan in the Playground

I think its important not to get caught on SD's use of great men here.
    Thats bringing baggage from our world to one where physical limitations are insignificant compared to ones will.
    And around ½ the demi-urges are female or seemingly so.

Its just a quirk of english, where great men are the, whats the word, neutral term?
    Because saying great person sounds silly.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

8. - Top - End - #668
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I think its important not to get caught on SD's use of great men here.
    Thats bringing baggage from our world to one where physical limitations are insignificant compared to ones will.
    And around ½ the demi-urges are female or seemingly so.

Its just a quirk of english, where great men are the, whats the word, neutral term?
    Because saying great person sounds silly.
    It's definitely not something to get hung up on, here. Whether it's "one small step for a man", "walk a mile in another man's shoes", a "man-made object" or whatever else, in many common cases, "man" is just used to stand in for "human". We use "humanity" and "mankind" interchangeably. In a fictional setting, an "Empire of man" almost never means a literal empire of male humans - just regular humans, of all kinds, as opposed to an empire of non-humans.

The only times it's worth fussing over is when it's explicitly meant to be a gendered term.

(tangentially related silly example: in a 4X game called Dominions, one of the nations is literally called "Man". It's modeled after... Arthurian legend or something, with Avalon et al. Its three most powerful and useful mage-commanders are all women. Men are just soldiers and squad leaders. Make of that what you will. :P)
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2020-07-20 at 03:34 AM.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

9. - Top - End - #669
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

I'm liking Solomon more and more. He really seems decent.
    His only problem is thinking outside-the-box.

Edit: Has anyone an explanation, why Meti was easily royalty? Even zoss didnt manage to become royalty.
    Last edited by Rydiro; 2020-07-20 at 04:31 AM.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rydiro View Post
    Edit: Has anyone an explanation, why Meti was easily royalty? Even zoss didnt manage to become royalty.
    Recall her commentary about training in the sword, and those who obsess about it. Swap in Royalty, or more generally anybody who thinks the mere ability to perform massive amounts of violence is the same as being strong. Meti is the one who reached that peak, realized how pointless it was, and by discarding that misconception of what it meant to be strong transcended it. Zoss appears to have finally had the same realization but too late to make it work in his own cycle.

("Reach Heaven Through Violence", sure, but the part they don't tell you is you're mostly doing the violence on your own hangups and misconceptions that are holding you back.)

11. - Top - End - #671
    Titan in the Playground

(tangentially related silly example: in a 4X game called Dominions, one of the nations is literally called "Man". It's modeled after... Arthurian legend or something, with Avalon et al. Its three most powerful and useful mage-commanders are all women. Men are just soldiers and squad leaders. Make of that what you will. :P)
    Funny enough. The Board has a tiny, tiny subcommunity of Dom 5 players

Else, wasnt it the other swordmaster for whom royalty came easy to?
    The one who did not seek it. The one with the imperfect blow.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Titan in the Playground

Else, wasnt it the other swordmaster for whom royalty came easy to?
    The one who did not seek it. The one with the imperfect blow.
    Are you thinking about Maya (Meti's disciple along with Incubus, eventually learned the lessons Meti was trying to transmit and abdicated her position as warlord/leader of her armies in the Universal War, left Incubus with a huge inferiority complex so he's always posing and trying to prove he's really strong enough to be a Demiurge), or was this one of the historical/mythological characters from the text stories?

13. - Top - End - #673
    Titan in the Playground

Are you thinking about Maya (Meti's disciple along with Incubus, eventually learned the lessons Meti was trying to transmit and abdicated her position as warlord/leader of her armies in the Universal War, left Incubus with a huge inferiority complex so he's always posing and trying to prove he's really strong enough to be a Demiurge), or was this one of the historical/mythological characters from the text stories?
    Im not thinking of Maya. Its the other historical character besides Meti who were a legendary swordsman.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Ogre in the Playground

Im not thinking of Maya. Its the other historical character besides Meti who were a legendary swordsman.
    You're thinking of Lord Intra.
    Hazama avatar by me. Other avatars that I've made:
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

15. - Top - End - #675
    Titan in the Playground

I am!
    Thats the guy for whom roalty came easy.

Also new comic. Interesting.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm getting Jotaro vs Dio fight flashbacks.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Someone get White Chain some threads, stat.

Interesting pattern on her forehead now.

And quite the gambit. White Chain realized that Solomon could easily fend off two attackers... but one who is within another?

The body / soul separation, sacrificing the body to allow the soul a shot at an attack that can't be defended against (Solomon having committed to the counter-attack)...

My. And how will Solomon deal with what is now effectively a female version of him? Her flesh is akin to his, more than likely...

18. - Top - End - #678
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Someone get White Chain some threads, stat.

Interesting pattern on her forehead now.

And quite the gambit. White Chain realized that Solomon could easily fend off two attackers... but one who is within another?

The body / soul separation, sacrificing the body to allow the soul a shot at an attack that can't be defended against (Solomon having committed to the counter-attack)...

My. And how will Solomon deal with what is now effectively a female version of him? Her flesh is akin to his, more than likely...
    Seems like WC already got her wish. And solomon the daughter he always wanted.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Titan in the Playground

Hah.. look at that grin when she began moving in the stopped time.
    Solomon though he could not get any harder when she developed the first new technique to fight him :D

Also.. nooh! it would be a sin to cover up such a divinely flawless body!

Still really, really curious to see if Solomon gets to survive this exchange.
    Does his body explore when time resumes?
    Or did White Chain just draw the classic drop of blood from his cheek, to use as baseline for her own apothesis?

20. - Top - End - #680
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Still really, really curious to see if Solomon gets to survive this exchange.
    He will. None of the other demiurges have expired. If anything, their losses have merely amplified their flaws.

Solomon resisted having daughters. Now, not only does he have a 'daughter', but it's against his will.

And she's probably bested him.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler: King of Swords 10-163
    Show
    No blood ...

Every time l see Solomon, I want to start working out ...

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

22. - Top - End - #682
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    Spoiler: King of Swords 10-163
    Show
    No blood ...

Every time l see Solomon, I want to start working out ...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I could barely tell due to the rain but the look of disappointment makes it look that way yea.

23. - Top - End - #683

So it wasn't his blood that did this. That's one of the number one fan theories out the window.

24. - Top - End - #684
    Titan in the Playground

Well. That fan theory did also deserve to die anyway.

I think it was pretty clear this was White Chains Apothesis.

And also. Yes. Poor SD.
    He was so close. So very close to escape his prison. The excitement was visible when White Chain once mor exceded his expectations.
    By getting up to meet him as he came to finish her.

But she only bruised him. So of course he is disapointed.

25. - Top - End - #685

Yeah, but I liked the idea that White Chain's apotheosis was due to blood, at least partially. Solomon's statement was along the lines of "whoever spills my blood will have their wish granted". This is White Chain's wish. I liked the theory that Solomon was more literal than assumed and has literally wish-granting blood.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Titan in the Playground

This is appropriate. If White Chain had drawn his blood, she would have validated his entire absurd tournament scheme and given him what he wants. But this fight was about her, not him.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

27. - Top - End - #687

Fair enough. Though I mostly want to know how she did it.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Titan in the Playground

Im quite certain that White Chain would also like to know

It seems pretty clear this is as much a surprise for her as for Solomon.
    But i guess its because she managed to take a step towards becomming Royalty.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I suppose the question is . . . In her new state, is she even capable of repeating what she just did? Can she still separate her spirit from her new meat shell? Or, if there was another clash of blows, would she just explode like a meat pinata and permanently die?

30. - Top - End - #690
    Titan in the Playground

I think its quite likely that at this point, White Chain is human for good and bad.
    And so i think she would absolutely get smashed if she fought Solomon again.