New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Kill6BillionDemons II: The Successor's coming will be followed by 108 burning thr

Remember, Abaddon has implied that any part of the prophecy not directly spoken by Jadis herself is unreliable. She is infallible; her translators are not.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Kill6BillionDemons II: The Successor's coming will be followed by 108 burning thr

Okay, this I like. This is interesting.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #873
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Okay, this I like. This is interesting.
    Does anyone have hints when Zoss does rewind time and how far back? If he can do that "cause royalty", is Meti affected? She is also royalty.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rydiro View Post
    Does anyone have hints when Zoss does rewind time and how far back?
    As Jag said, it's at the point where the heir takes the throne of Heaven, and presumably to the point where he chooses another heir.

I figure the trick to breaking the cycle is to not take the throne. Just leave it empty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

5. - Top - End - #875
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

We're still not getting the full story here otherwise why would the thorn knights have killed Zoss? Was he already trying to break the wheel?
    Also if Jag always wins then time gets reset does that mean this is far as the cycle has ever gone? Since presumably if Zoss chosen fails then that's when he resets.
    Yea feels like something is still missing.

6. - Top - End - #876
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

From the sounds of things, I wouldn't be surprised if the specific entities/arrangement is different each time.

The pattern seems to be

Zoss arises

The War happens, something akin to the Demiurges splits the universe between them

Zoss chooses an heir

The Heir defeats the Demiurges and claims the throne.

SOMETHING happens, everything falls apart, Jagganoth is left to "Clean up", defeating the Heir before Zoss restarts the cycle.

This time, Jagganoth is one of the Demiurges, and remembers enough to try to intervene earlier in the cycle. Normally, he doesn't arrive until after the Heir has defeated the Demiurges and claimed the throne, presumably after the "Something" happens and it all falls apart.

Allison is still at the "Rally allies and Sword" Stage, but Jagganoth is intervening, hoping to claim her key and use it to destroy Metatron.

It seems that whatever Zoss and Metatron are trying to do keeps failing after the Heir ascends the throne. Possibly because, as Zoss says, the person who conquers the wheel cannot break it. The Heir ascends, a new golden age begins, only to fall apart just as quickly, and Jagganoth wipes it out so Zoss can turn back time and try again.

It should be noted that Jagganoth describes The Heir as "A boy with little sense and an excess of Courage". A classic hero-type.

It's possible that just as Jagganoth remembers the previous cycles enough to try to intervene early, Zoss also remembers enough, and chose a different flavor of Heir: Allison. "Little sense and an excess of Courage" can also describe Allison, at least eventually. Initially she was quite scared, and out of her depths, but we don't know the standard of Heir that had been previously chosen. It's possible they were all sword-swinging hero types jumping at the call to adventure, rather than a barista from an unconquered world.
    Last edited by BRC; 2021-04-19 at 10:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

7. - Top - End - #877
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    The Heir ascends, a new golden age begins, only to fall apart just as quickly, and Jagganoth wipes it out so Zoss can turn back time and try again.
    Or it doesn't fall apart - Zoss isn't happy with the outcome, so he just rolls things back to try again.

It should be noted that Jagganoth describes The Heir as "A boy with little sense and an excess of Courage". A classic hero-type.
    Also, easily manipulated. Point them at a goal with the right words to prod them along the way.

It's possible they were all sword-swinging hero types jumping at the call to adventure, rather than a barista from an unconquered world.
    Or just someone who can be molded.

His initial choice was probably going to be Zaid until he got interrupted. So, in a rush, he went with Allison.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Looks like we're finally going to get to see a Ki Rata 10-point strike!

9. - Top - End - #879
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Aaah, no answers nor character development. Just more questions and combat scenes.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

I feel like this combat scene will be short? I hope so, anyhow. SD does a ten-point strike, which is cataclysmically powerful, but Jagganoth no-sells it, and maybe kills SD? Gog-Agog, being largely not there, applauds cheerily and doesn't mind getting squashed, then we're back to discussion between Jagganoth and Allison (and fused friends). Presumably something happens with the other demiurges, dunno what.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

It's not pertinent to the current scene, but when I reread the comic after it's finished I'm going to count how many fights are resolved by one combatant revealing that they know a badass ancient martial arts style, different from all the previous badass ancient martial arts styles. I think it happened twice in Solomon's tournament alone.
    Last edited by Anarchic Fox; 2021-04-23 at 01:26 AM.

12. - Top - End - #882

Don't forget how often someone in mid-battle pulls a "This shouldn't be possible, no one has ever tried this and survived, but she did, with the key of kings and the power of friendship!"

I.e. devil-human fusion, binding a black devil with no preparation, achieving a new kind of triple fusion, etc.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2021-04-23 at 02:47 AM.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Don't forget how often someone in mid-battle pulls a "This shouldn't be possible, no one has ever tried this and survived, but she did, with the key of kings and the power of friendship!"

I.e. devil-human fusion, binding a black devil with no preparation, achieving a new kind of triple fusion, etc.
    Well, if I counted every time a new technique showed up mid-battle, it would be almost every time. But that's typical of shonen comics, which this one kinda is, despite not having many boys in sight.

But having so many entire martial arts styles... that's a K6BD thing. The first time I read the comic, I tried to keep track of every martial arts style/school/tradition. The second time I read it, I realized that there were more than a dozen, and gave up even trying. It reminds me of Naruto's bloodline techniques: they're incredibly rare, closely guarded powers... and most of the named characters have one.

Um... I like the comic, I really do. But I'm one of those unfortunate people who finds it easier to criticize than to praise.
    Last edited by Anarchic Fox; 2021-04-23 at 09:09 AM.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    But I'm one of those unfortunate people who finds it easier to criticize than to praise.
    I tend to praise with faint dams too.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Heh, I guess that is a thing, isn't it? "Here's a work I find engrossing, but that very attachment makes its flaws even more aggravating, so I'ma talk about them instead."
    Last edited by Anarchic Fox; 2021-04-23 at 04:20 PM.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Titan in the Playground

It's not pertinent to the current scene, but when I reread the comic after it's finished I'm going to count how many fights are resolved by one combatant revealing that they know a badass ancient martial arts style, different from all the previous badass ancient martial arts styles. I think it happened twice in Solomon's tournament alone.
    So far i believe that count to be 0. The only Ancient Martial art style we have been told off thats truely more badass than any other is Ki Rata.
    And the existance of that were announced well ahead.

But having so many entire martial arts styles... that's a K6BD thing. The first time I read the comic, I tried to keep track of every martial arts style/school/tradition. The second time I read it, I realized that there were more than a dozen, and gave up even trying. It reminds me of Naruto's bloodline techniques: they're incredibly rare, closely guarded powers... and most of the named characters have one.
    No thats not a K6BD thing. Its a real world thing. We have not yet gotten even close to the number of real world martial art styles there are.
    And this is a magical setting with contestants from MULTIPLE worlds. There should be orders of magnitude more martial arts in existance here.

Devil-human fusion should be possible, it had been done before, and people had survived it.
    We dont know enough about devil binding to say how exceptional the binding of Princess is when you have a Key of Kings.
    And yes the triple fusion was a complete new thing.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

17. - Top - End - #887
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post

Devil-human fusion should be possible, it had been done before, and people had survived it.
    We dont know enough about devil binding to say how exceptional the binding of Princess is when you have a Key of Kings.
    And yes the triple fusion was a complete new thing.
    Also, I feel a big part of the theme of the comic is the protagonist doing things no one has done before. It’s even said in one of the recent strips: “you’ve never met me before”.

One of the things I love about K6BD is how over the top it is. It’s a universe that thrives on powerful people being bested by even more powerful people. The main antagonists and the protagonist are fairly literally gods, with many below them nearing similar levels, and it really leans into that!
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Yea most of the stuff that gets pulled out makes sense because we know that person has been in training since the last time we saw them or that we never saw their full measure previously. Some of the more recent ones have kind annoying though. For example White Chains transformation is the cumulation of her entire story, we have no idea what happened, it seems to be completely new and I kind of like that even then she still utterly failed even if it does feel like something that should happen in the penultimate arc rather than the final. Then we have Alison, Cio and Chains merging which feels like it comes from a completely different series, goes against what we where told about the closest comparable powerup (which just happened) and doesn't really makes sense in a power standpoint as well. Three insects standing ontop of each other don't make a comparable warrior to a dragon.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Titan in the Playground

Three insects standing ontop of each other don't make a comparable warrior to a dragon.
    Well then its a good thing we dont have any insects here?
    We were from the start shown that the devil fusion were the kind where the end result were stronger than the sum of its parts.
    So its honestly not to big of a surprise that a fusion involving a white and a black soul would have a transcendent result.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Well then its a good thing we dont have any insects here?
    We were from the start shown that the devil fusion were the kind where the end result were stronger than the sum of its parts.
    So its honestly not to big of a surprise that a fusion involving a white and a black soul would have a transcendent result.
    We know Cio+Alison is weaker than chain even with help. We know that chain is weaker than solomon who isn't trying yet the fusion of all three seems to be more powerful than the sum would indicate was my point. In addition to taking away from the intrigue of Chains transformation.

21. - Top - End - #891

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    We know Cio+Alison is weaker than chain even with help. We know that chain is weaker than solomon who isn't trying yet the fusion of all three seems to be more powerful than the sum would indicate was my point. In addition to taking away from the intrigue of Chains transformation.
    The reason Cio + Alison is weaker is inexperience: Alison is extremely strong, but unfocussed, a raw tool. Adding White Chain into the mix adds the experience and discipline needed to truly harness the Key and achieve Alison’s true potential.

That said, this is the start of the story arc. They’ll fail here. This entire sequence was originally planned for the end of the previous book ai believe, to set up the final volume. There’s a fair way to go yet, which will undoubtedly include learning about White Chain’s new form for example. They’ve just not had a sufficient break yet!
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

So far i believe that count to be 0. The only Ancient Martial art style we have been told off thats truely more badass than any other is Ki Rata.
    And the existance of that were announced well ahead.
    The hell? During Solomon's tournament both angelic protagonists revealed hitherto unknown badass ancient martial arts styles. Normally I'd go look up the names, but it was less than one book ago!

And if you say I would have known about them if I had been reading the prose below the comic, I will be a bit cross.

For that matter, in the second fight in the comic, White Chain revealed a hitherto unknown badass ancient martial arts style. Granted, that one's a freebie, or a technicality, since it was so early in the comic. Nonetheless, 1>0.

Sorry for focusing on such a small part of your response, but I can't get past the first paragraph.
    Last edited by Anarchic Fox; 2021-04-24 at 10:40 PM.

23. - Top - End - #893

There is a difference of someone just saying what martial art style they use and someone pulling a super strong martial art style out of nowhere, though. People saying what style they are using is just genre convention, that doesn't make them stronger than others.

I mean, if I go to an MMA tournament and say "I am using Wing Chun", that's an entirely normal thing.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZDAYg196x8

There is a difference of someone just saying what martial art style they use and someone pulling a super strong martial art style out of nowhere, though. People saying what style they are using is just genre convention, that doesn't make them stronger than others.
    Okay, I see where the confusion comes from. I said different from, not better than.

25. - Top - End - #895

Better than was implied by saying the fights were resolved by the reveal of an martial art.
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2021-04-25 at 12:41 PM.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Better than was implied by saying the fights were resolved by the reveal of an martial art.
    I'm not sure that necessarily holds. Rock-paper-scissors is defined by the fact that beating one does not imply beating the other.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Ah, I apologize, I was using "resolution" in the literary sense. That is, a "resolution" is the literary device that brings a portion of a story to a close. I often forget that others don't have as much experience with the humanities as I do.
    Last edited by Anarchic Fox; 2021-04-25 at 11:01 PM.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Now I imagine you yelling "BE PRAISED!" and throwing tiny Lego dams at someone like candy.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure that necessarily holds. Rock-paper-scissors is defined by the fact that beating one does not imply beating the other.
    Yeah. But we have not been given the implication that there is any Rock-Paper-Scissor.
    Just Ki-Rata > Not-Ki-Rata.

Ah, I apologize, I was using "resolution" in the literary sense. That is, a "resolution" is the literary device that brings a portion of a story to a close. I often forget that others don't have as much experience with the humanities as I do.
    Im honestly not certain reveal of ancient martial arts are literary devices here either. More flavoring.
    Since you can as such reveal all references to the martial art styles, and the story would still be coherent.
    It would be a more bland. A bit like a DBZ fight. But still coherent.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Rydiro View Post
    Now I imagine you yelling "BE PRAISED!" and throwing tiny Lego dams at someone like candy.
    Weirs are not swearwords.