New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Kill6BillionDemons II: The Successor's coming will be followed by 108 burning thr

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Weirs are not swearwords.
    Any word can be a swearword with the proper enunciation.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Kill6BillionDemons II: The Successor's coming will be followed by 108 burning thr

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    I completely agree ("People" by John Wayne in "the Green Berets" was a classic of the genre), but some get picked up by software, and others don't.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Firbolg in the Playground

but some get picked up by software, and others don't.
    Software is dumb and sees problem where there are none.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

4. - Top - End - #904
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    Ah, I apologize, I was using "resolution" in the literary sense. That is, a "resolution" is the literary device that brings a portion of a story to a close. I often forget that others don't have as much experience with the humanities as I do.
    How exactly are they resolving something if you do not mean the they win because they started using the art sense?

I'm not sure that necessarily holds. Rock-paper-scissors is defined by the fact that beating one does not imply beating the other.
    Sure but for this it only needs to be better when fighting the opponent whether or not the opponent is a better matchup against someone else.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    How exactly are they resolving something if you do not mean the they win because they started using the art sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    I was using "resolution" in the literary sense. That is, a "resolution" is the literary device that brings a portion of a story to a close.

6. - Top - End - #906

How do they do that exactly?

Maybe I should expand since you probably won't otherwise. The resolution is a part of a story/arc but if I described someones shirt as green during the resolution of course I wouldn't say the shirt being green resolves the arc (unless that is somehow an important plot point). To say it resolves something, literary definition or not, it actually has to play part in resolving it. If as lord_khaine they serve as flavoring then they wouldn't resolve anything. Declaring it the literary definition tells me very little about what you actually suggest they are doing in the story.
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2021-04-27 at 03:40 PM.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    "Son of a weir!"

Regarding the comic:
    For the most excellent warrior in all the multiverse, Jagganoth sure takes his time slowly escalating. I mean, you can do that sort of thing to get better when you are invulnerable.
    But he still runs the risk of being defeated. Instead of going straight for the weakest links (Mottom, then Mammon, then Incubus, maybe Jadis) and taking their keys.

8. - Top - End - #908

Default Kill6BillionDemons II: The Successor's coming will be followed by 108 burning threads

I'm seeing someone vital here. JADIS.

We have learned backstory about all the other demiurges (even though Goggie and Jagganoth still haven't revealed all that much) but Jadis is essentially a blank sheet. Especially within the confines of the comic, disregarding the tumblr lore.

That lore pointed out that she was getting frozen after she peeked at the shape of the universe... and we know she does prophesies.

Given how Jagganoth can perceive the Wheel of History being turned back in cyclical patterns, it is ultimately Jadis' turn to reveal her extensive knowledge, and I'm eager to see that reveal. Currently, we don't even know how long each loop lasts - was Zaid's/Allison's succession the start of the loop, or does that only occur near the end of each loop?

Possibilities:
    - Jadis has been in her state for a long time before the wheel was reset for the first time. In that first case, I expect little insight from her except her observations.
    - or, Jadis was frozen at the beginning of the first cycle, and the cyclical nature of the world has to do with her prison?
    - maybe because she was trapped by Metatron and/or Zoss, and put under a curse to not be able to fully reveal her insights
    - or maybe she is the cause for the whole mess: Her peeking at the wheel has caused Metatron/Zoss to start the whole wheel-turning, to prevent the end of the universe at all.
    - and so when she now spills the truth, it might cause Jagganoth to rethink his actions, and/or Allison to find a path to solving the problems. Given how awful these seven demiurges are, that solution should include dissolving their power.

tl;dr: I'm very sure that Jadis, with her prophesies and frozen state, is intimately connected to the alleged wheel-turning that Metatron and his pawn Zoss are doing.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    tl;dr: I'm very sure that Jadis, with her prophesies and frozen state, is intimately connected to the alleged wheel-turning that Metatron and his pawn Zoss are doing.
    Or she doesn't matter at all, in a fatalistic sense. She does know EVERYTHING, every cycle, every reason, every mote of dust across eons and repeating cycles. By that she is crippled to helplessness. She is supposedly as omnicient as Kagganoth is invulnerable.

And I doubt Zoss is a pawn. Maybe Metatron/Michael likes to think so. Zoss is 50% royalty and thus he cannot be contained. They totally ditched their plan of omnicide for the "King Monomyth" when Zoss started cycling and their victory no longer achievable.
    Last edited by Rydiro; 2021-04-30 at 07:06 AM.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Well, we're finally getting the boss titlecard for Jagganoth. Why didn't he start off like this? And why is he only acting now?

11. - Top - End - #911
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Thales View Post
    Well, we're finally getting the boss titlecard for Jagganoth. Why didn't he start off like this? And why is he only acting now?
    Because for all his willingness to break the wheel and destroy everything, our boy Jag didn’t get to where he is today without a little showmanship.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marcelinari View Post
    Because for all his willingness to break the wheel and destroy everything, our boy Jag didn’t get to where he is today without a little showmanship.
    I sometimes wonder if having that sense of showmanship and drama isn't somehow inherent or relevant to being a badass in the setting. Like, no one who ever approached Royalty got there by not having some flair.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Barbarian in the Playground

He wanted to give them some false hope before crushing them.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Titan in the Playground

This is quite possible.
    Its just as likely Jagganoth accepts this is the closest thing he will ever get to an exciting fight.
    And that if he starts slow he will at least get a little bit of action before the show ends.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

15. - Top - End - #915
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    I sometimes wonder if having that sense of showmanship and drama isn't somehow inherent or relevant to being a badass in the setting. Like, no one who ever approached Royalty got there by not having some flair.
    Mottom basically confirmed that the Syllable Glory is about radiating awesomeness.

16. - Top - End - #916

So to be clear, Jagganoth is jumping the gun super-hard here, right? Because it seems like his plan has to be "break the cycle by cutting it short", but that seems short-sighted. Not that I'd expect characters to be beholden or to be wary of dramatic tropes, but desperation often breeds miracles and shenanigans. I feel like acting early would just be more likely to cause problems than to end THE problem.

Plus, not outright killing Ali right away leaves time for errors to spawn.

And this is a thought, but the swordswoman (if she was named, I have forgotten it) was clearly shown acting at the start of Jag's appearance, so I wonder how long it'll take for her to show up again.

P.S. By short-sighted I mean that since he hasn't killed Ali, and could not steal the key by force, he leaves the possibility open for an unlikelihood to appear. It's short-sighted because it now leaves events to chaos instead of to plans.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstag View Post
    So to be clear, Jagganoth is jumping the gun super-hard here, right? Because it seems like his plan has to be "break the cycle by cutting it short", but that seems short-sighted. Not that I'd expect characters to be beholden or to be wary of dramatic tropes, but desperation often breeds miracles and shenanigans. I feel like acting early would just be more likely to cause problems than to end THE problem.

Plus, not outright killing Ali right away leaves time for errors to spawn.

And this is a thought, but the swordswoman (if she was named, I have forgotten it) was clearly shown acting at the start of Jag's appearance, so I wonder how long it'll take for her to show up again.

P.S. By short-sighted I mean that since he hasn't killed Ali, and could not steal the key by force, he leaves the possibility open for an unlikelihood to appear. It's short-sighted because it now leaves events to chaos instead of to plans.
    It seems like his plan is to acquire the Key himself, and use it to kill Metatron/Zoss so the universe can die.

The usual pattern seems to be

The Heir is chosen, they defeat the other Demiurges, they ascend the throne, they fail, Jagganoth kills the heir just before the universe resets.

This time, Jagganoth seems to be jumping in, planning to kill the Heir BEFORE she kills the Demiurges, thus claiming her power for himself, and using it to kill Zoss/Metatron before the wheel can be turned back.

He's aware that this introduces a bunch of potential uncertainties. Not only is this Heir different from the others, she hasn't killed the Demiurges yet and claimed their keys. So rather than fighting an Heir with the power of 7 keys (Zoss+6 demiurges), who has ascended to the height of their glory, he is fighting a single, ascendant Heir, and six Demiurges.

But if he can cut the cycle short, he might be able to break it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

18. - Top - End - #918
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    But if he can cut the cycle short, he might be able to break it.
    His real flaw is that he cant change his ways. Kill everything, instead of trying a different approach. It never occurs to him that he could change himself and work with others for once.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Titan in the Playground

His real flaw is that he cant change his ways. Kill everything, instead of trying a different approach. It never occurs to him that he could change himself and work with others for once.
    Of course he cant try a different approach. He is the destroyer.
    You dont get such a title from an inclination to kick over sandcastles.
    Well except i guess, when you see all of creation as a flawed sandcastle.
    That should be removed to make room for a new.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

20. - Top - End - #920
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rydiro View Post
    Or he tried, in the past, to do so with the previous heirs.

And because they were simple men, they would not listen to Jaggy. So he trapped himself in a cycle because he thought nobody who attained the power would willingly give it up.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

21. - Top - End - #921

Oh hey, ask and I shall receive! Turns out we see her again, and she's on the ground staring up. I really hope she shows up to interfere somehow.

22. - Top - End - #922

Maya's timing is not very good.

23. - Top - End - #923

I can't wait to see how she honors the pact.

24. - Top - End - #924

The worm has turned.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Colossus in the Playground

I honestly don't see how that's going to help. He has no Problem putting one worm clown down, and he has infinite swords.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

26. - Top - End - #926

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I honestly don't see how that's going to help. He has no Problem putting one worm clown down, and he has infinite swords.
    "One worm clown" facetanked his WHARRGARBL laser and reconstituted in moments. If one of them can cause any damage at all, even if they can't bring him down, the net effect will be that he is continuously occupied with the clowns, and can't effectively attack the other players.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

27. - Top - End - #927

Whoah. Did not expect that.

“Usul, we have wormsign the likes of which even God has never seen.”
    Last edited by wingnutx; 2021-06-04 at 11:42 PM.

28. - Top - End - #928

That's more than I expected. Welcome to the Gogsphere.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

29. - Top - End - #929
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    That's more than I expected. Welcome to the Gogsphere.
    And every one of them will start telling bad puns till your ears bleed.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm trying to decide if this artwork is more Kingdom: Death or Berserk. Kind of both?

Edit: I guess the alt text settles that.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2021-06-05 at 01:33 PM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist