New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1260
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Kill6BillionDemons II: The Successor's coming will be followed by 108 burning thr

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    Did she actually ever successfully smash her way through a challenge, though? As I recall, all of her attempts to do so ended badly.
    Yeah, that's true, but she could and did try. I assume that there'll be a loss of power-as-cudgel. Especially since she probably won't have time to really train or anything. It's of course possible that I'm wrong about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    I am pretty sure she's going to ultimately get even more badass as a result of this, given that the cover of the book shows her with what looks like Zoss' prosthetic arm. Besides, it's pretty heavily shown that power in the setting (especially if you have a key) is more about determination than your physical body - Incubus seemed to believe that as long as her will didn't break she'd have no trouble fighting Jagganoth with him, and he's an expert. Plus, I mean... Incubus should know, he's one of the more dangerous of the Seven and his body is a scarred wreck.

Also, she tried her hardest not to smash through this one, but Jagganoth wasn't taking it.

I don't think the story is going to be resolved by a throwdown fight, but it's not really a given that losing two limbs and an eye makes you weaker in a setting like this one. Look at Maya's sword.
    No disagreement about her badassness. I just think the lack of training time and serious recovery time will mean she'll have to make up for it with either tech (I guess that's the arm?) or smarts or both.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Kill6BillionDemons II: The Successor's coming will be followed by 108 burning thr

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Yeah, that's true, but she could and did try. I assume that there'll be a loss of power-as-cudgel. Especially since she probably won't have time to really train or anything. It's of course possible that I'm wrong about this.

No disagreement about her badassness. I just think the lack of training time and serious recovery time will mean she'll have to make up for it with either tech (I guess that's the arm?) or smarts or both.
    I think the story already hinted at that. Violence will be necessary, but it alone will not be decisive. See her revelation that the demiurges are lonely, Zoss confirmation that violence isn't true strength and the comical inability of the demiurges to work together just once.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Counterpoint. I doubt everyone would have looked down on him if it was the case.
    They look down on him for not conquering his own throne. He only has it because Maya abdicated.

Also, they all look down on each other. Gog is held in contempt by the rest of the seven, and she's actually the strongest.
    GO FOR THE EYES, BOO!!!

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutx View Post
    They look down on him for not conquering his own throne. He only has it because Maya abdicated.

Also, they all look down on each other. Gog is held in contempt by the rest of the seven, and she's actually the strongest.
    Strongest? I dunno. Hardest to put down? Agree.
    Last edited by Lurkmoar; 2022-04-26 at 11:02 PM.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Ettin in the Playground

IIRC the author has specifically said that she would be the strongest if it weren't for her flights of fancy.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

IIRC the author has specifically said that she would be the strongest if it weren't for her flights of fancy.
    Wasn't it because Gog is literally unable to focus her hive-mind completely?
    As is Jadis, she probably cannot focus on the present very well. I mean, no surprise when Zoss smashes the reboot button like a metal drummer. She might have a hard time telling all those samey cycles apart. She probably just half-assed the prophecy about the king, giving the same lines she gave the last thousand times.
    Last edited by Rydiro; 2022-04-29 at 11:13 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Titan in the Playground

Yes. I find it highly unlikely they would have looked down on him if his power had been something they respected or feared.

I have not seen any comments like that.
    But i have seen one stating Jadis would be strongest if not for her "accident"

As is Jadis, she probably cannot focus on the present very well. I mean, no surprise when Zoss smashes the reboot button like a metal drummer. She might have a hard time telling all those samey cycles apart. She probably just half-assed the prophecy about the king, giving the same lines she gave the last thousand times.
    Its WOG Jadis delivers propechies thats 100 % correct. The error lies in her followers interpreting her whispers.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Troll in the Playground

I have not seen any comments like that.
    But i have seen one stating Jadis would be strongest if not for her "accident"

I've seen it before, it's on the Tublr they do WOG answer on. Unfortunately it's not the kind of thing I can google search at work and I don't remember the exact wording but it was less a comment about pure might and power then it was about being something close to literally impossible to kill her before she would eventually overwhelm and wear down almostnear anything or anyone.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

9. - Top - End - #1029

This is correct.
    GO FOR THE EYES, BOO!!!

10. - Top - End - #1030

RedWizardGuy

I've been wondering whether this verse had the tech/sorcery for regrowing limbs, and I've been wondering why it's previously been implied that Allison won't be using any of it and will eventually become a burned out husk.

I assume Allison's apparent recovery is an illusion?

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

It might not be an illusion. Remember that when she made her deal with Incubus, the wounds she sustained from Mottom's plants healed, and when she expelled Incubus, the wounds reopened. It may be that at some point, she rejects Jadis's aid and has to heal herself on her own as best as she is able.

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Titan in the Playground

Thats a very different situation your describing.
    Allison made a pack with Incubus for power. And when she lost that power, she lost the tempoary fix on her body.

Here the damage is far more extensive, and the fix have been applied to her while unconcious and unable to accept a deal.
    Over a supposedly longer period.

But i cant see why we are debating this. Just Jadis not being in a cube should be hint enough this is a dream.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Just Jadis not being in a cube should be hint enough this is a dream.
    I believe she was liberated from the cube in the end of the last chapter.

I think it was sort of symbolic.

With the cycle apparently broken, so does her prison.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Titan in the Playground

I believe she was liberated from the cube in the end of the last chapter.
    Liberated? But the cube wasnt her prison.
    It was her protection when she wrecked her mind and body viewing the wheel.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Liberated? But the cube wasnt her prison.
    It was her protection when she wrecked her mind and body viewing the wheel.
    I count that as liberated. As she couldn't leave the cube because her mind and body were wrecked, it's as much a prison as a protection.

16. - Top - End - #1036

RedWizardGuy

I'm going to guess that Jadis is showing Allison what will happen if Allison takes the time to heal properly, as opposed to using an emergency quick fix that will leave her body permanently ruined?

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    I'm going to guess that Jadis is showing Allison what will happen if Allison takes the time to heal properly, as opposed to using an emergency quick fix that will leave her body permanently ruined?
    Why would Jadis want Allison to do that?
    Last edited by InvisibleBison; 2022-05-07 at 12:58 PM.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

18. - Top - End - #1038

RedWizardGuy

Because there isn't enough time to heal properly, and as such, sacrifices must be made?

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Titan in the Playground

I was pretty confident that this was all a dream. But, uh, not so sure anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Rydiro View Post
    I think the story already hinted at that. Violence will be necessary, but it alone will not be decisive. See her revelation that the demiurges are lonely, Zoss confirmation that violence isn't true strength and the comical inability of the demiurges to work together just once.
    Yeah, my comment wasn't uniquely insightful or anything. Although if this time skip is real, I dunno—maybe she will get a chance to be buff again.

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Ogre in the Playground

I was pretty confident that this was all a dream. But, uh, not so sure anymore!
    What makes you think that this might be real? I'm still convinced it's an illusion of some sort.
    Last edited by InvisibleBison; 2022-05-13 at 10:45 PM.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Titan in the Playground

What makes you think that this might be real? I'm still convinced it's an illusion of some sort.
    I dunno! I think Jadis might be a mind projection of some sort, since she's out of the glass and not a corpse. It seems like an awful lot of detail to go into for something that's not real? Jadis is awkward and if I was doing a super powerful illusion I would make myself less awkward.

I don't think I have a good argument for it. It just feels like the argument against it is less convincing.

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

The longer a scene goes on, the less likely it is illusory, because the story needs to progress at some point.
    I'm with TaiLiu here, i switched from illusion to magitech as an explanation. No real proof either way yet.

23. - Top - End - #1043

Jadis is definitely only visible in Allison's mind.
    GO FOR THE EYES, BOO!!!

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Orc in the Playground

Interestingly, Jadis cast a shadow on the floor back when Allison first woke up. Only the hallway instance is not phyiscal?
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

-RFC 1925

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Titan in the Playground

Thats well spotted. Good point.
    Or well perhaps Jadis put more attention into her projection back then?

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Titan in the Playground

The longer a scene goes on, the less likely it is illusory, because the story needs to progress at some point.
    I'm with TaiLiu here, i switched from illusion to magitech as an explanation. No real proof either way yet.
    Yeah, that's a much better way of putting it. Take the OOTS illusion scene. We knew it was an illusion pretty quickly, and the party broke out of it in a few strips.

Jadis is definitely only visible in Allison's mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobius Twist View Post
    Interestingly, Jadis cast a shadow on the floor back when Allison first woke up. Only the hallway instance is not phyiscal?
    Thats well spotted. Good point.
    Or well perhaps Jadis put more attention into her projection back then?
    Curiously, in this latest strip, Jadis seems to be blocking the light once more.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Yeah, that's a much better way of putting it. Take the OOTS illusion scene. We knew it was an illusion pretty quickly, and the party broke out of it in a few strips.
    I think that can be handwaved by the difference between Rich's and Abbadon's pacing.

Curiously, in this latest strip, Jadis seems to be blocking the light once more.
    We're also closer to her, so little art flairs like that can be waved, unless the artist is known for being particularly meticulous about even the smallest of details, regardless of perspective.

28. - Top - End - #1048

i switched from illusion to magitech as an explanation.
    I'm starting to think it may be magnets.
    GO FOR THE EYES, BOO!!!

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Titan in the Playground

.. are they going to show Allison the shape of reality?

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

I'm starting to think it may be magnets.
    Definately magnets in there somewhere.