Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Masters of the Wild IC

The Temple of Harmony. A beautiful and ancient structure, overgrown with vines and flowers but standing powerfully and tall among the ancient trees. Inside, ancient libraries, beautiful gardens, and breathtaking art consumes the space, truly a spectacle to behold.

You walk towards the Inner Sanctum, the heart of the temple, where the portals to other Master of the Wild gardens pulse slowly with green energy. Zavvix Autumnfall is summoning you for some form of mission.

As you stride into the massive atrium, you see the kindly, crinkled face of the aged Eladrin beaming at you. He stands in front of a massive cluster of vines hanging from the high ceiling. The origin and purpose of this column of growth is one of the many mysteries of the Temple- only Zavvix is allowed to enter the mass of vines, but why?

But these thoughts of grand mystery are expelled as your Warden strides towards you. He gestures, and out of the uniform stone floor rises a table, as if molded out of clay. Next to it, small mounds form, obviously your seating arrangements. "Take a seat," Zavvis chuckles as a pot of tea and 9 cups appear on the table. "We have much to discuss."
    See that cool Teifling? Thanks, potatopeelerkin! If you want something like it, they have more avatars up for adoption in the thread with the same name...

Hey, I have an extended signature now!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Masters of the Wild IC

Tek walked through the halls of the Temple with only a hint of hurry in his steps. While there may not have been many rules against flying in the Temple of Harmony before he arrived, someone quickly made a set for him. They claimed that keeping him grounded was a safety concern after one-too-many blind corner collisions, but he held the smallest suspicion it was about something more. The fact that he wasn't as fast a walker as most other people here only added to his annoyance. As he approached the Inner Sanctum he realized he was skipping every fourth step and lightly pushing off the ground with his wings in order to hurry. He stopped before the Sanctum, smoothed out a feather or two, and walked into the room.

The light of the portals and the interplay of a torch gave the room a strange sense of unreality, he noticed. This would be an ominous place in the dark. As the Warden creates the table and stools, Tek's brow contorts into a frown. "So I'm not the only one you called? And I suppose you won't tell me anything before they show up, right? That's fine, I guess." At the Warden's offer he takes a seat and begins scratching a small drawing of an eagle into the clay of the table, waiting for whoever else was supposed to show up.
    Games GMed
    The Vanstermen: OOC - IC

3. - Top - End - #3

An elf entered, unremarkable except for the pelt of a large animal draped over his shoulders. He visibly relaxed as he passed into the more open space of the atrium.

At Zavvix's introduction, he takes a seat at the table, following the aaracokra. "I should hope we are not stretched thin enough to be sent on our own."
    Last edited by sandmote; 2018-10-26 at 09:48 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

A gnome walks in at a brisk, enthusiastic pace, his piercing green eyes darting all around the room. " 'Ello everyone" he says, sounding upbeat and chipper as he takes a seat, "wild looking place, isn't it? What's all this about, then?"
    Last edited by Diceomancer; 2018-10-26 at 07:10 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Faye moves along the archways of the temple, looking around in wonder at its impressive features. Here, she takes a smell at a beautiful flower. There, she pauses to trace the ornaments on a column of white stone. Suddenly in a hurry, she quickens her pace to catch up with her guide floating ahead. A few more corners, and the fey light stops, hovering in the air in front of a large portal. Faye eyes up nervously at the majestetic door, biting her lip. So, this is it. The Inner Sanctum.

Upon entering the atrium, Faye pauses again, stricken anew by the temple's beauty. Her eyes wandering over the room in awe, it takes her a moment to recollect. Still smiling, she approaches the table.

„Am I late? I'm sorry. You know, I just arrived from...“ Looking down herself and her travel-worn habit, she blushes slightly as she continues: „Pray excuse the plainness of my attire, my lord Warden. There was no time to change.“ She takes a look around the table, searching for a free spot, and her face lightens up as she recognizes the one or another familiar face. Hastily, she takes a seat next to Glim. Leaning over to the gnome, she whispers: „This is how he is to be addressed, isn't it? Nobody told me...“
    Last edited by Rogue227; 2018-10-26 at 09:02 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Thank you for sending me this invitation, sir. Rebecca said humbly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Caspar put away the pan flute he had been practicing on as he walked when he reached the Temple of Harmony. He made a mental note to his exercises later as he found his way to the Inner Sanctum. He held himself as aloof as he usually felt, but the honor involved in being invited here was a great one, and even he recognized the opportunity that this could represent. He gives everyone present a bow before entering the room and quietly taking a seat at the table, curious as to the purpose of such a gathering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Ariana walks through the temple slowly, seemingly lost in thought. Realizing that she may well be holding the others up she picks up her pace as she gets closer to the atrium, stopping short when she enters. She takes the nearest open seat, ignoring the tea. She doesn't say anything after entering, but nods towards Zavvix in greeting.

9. - Top - End - #9

"I suppose you all wonder why you're here," Zavvix chuckled. "I have need of you to dispose of some... unsavory matters in these woods." His expression suddently darkens, the creases in his face once showing a jubilant love of life furrowing into a displeased and contemplative mass. "You see, there's a temple to Shub-N'varoth operating in the village of Cadmoor, at least according to our agents there."

"You job," he says passively, taking a sip of the sweet, fruity tea, "is to enter Cadmoor, find those involved in this nasty business, and shut down wherever they may be operating from. Maps and information on the village will be provided. So, little ones," he smiles. "Are you up for the challenge?"

Spoiler: Shub-N'varoth
    Show

Shub-N'varoth is a fiend from the plane of Hades (not the typical Hades, I have a different cosmology). She is the ruler of the second layer of three, and commands the masses of the dead who did not die with honor, power, or money to their name. She is worshiped as an evil god of death, pestilence, and other nasty afflictions, and it is said that one look at Shub-N'varoth's form will drive you mad. Her followers certainly are.
    See that cool Teifling? Thanks, potatopeelerkin! If you want something like it, they have more avatars up for adoption in the thread with the same name...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Well I'm happy to help. Did the agents give us any leads as to what these shub ... var ... err ... shrubbery-broth folks were up to?"

11. - Top - End - #11

"There's talk of some form of... massacre," the dark face of Zavvix has returned, and the air around grows noticeably warmer. "A mass event to send Cadmoor to her domain." Zavixx scowls as the air grows even hotter, almost uncomfortably so. "But we have no substantiated claims. The presence of any form of infernal worship is danger enough," Zavvix says, returning to his typical jubilant self, the air returning to the cool, sweet quality it had before.

12. - Top - End - #12

Elmir shudders. "So the agenda is to first substantiate, then see if we can stop any such event." He draws the pelt over more of his back, "do we have any more information to start with?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Tek looked up every time someone new entered, and then glanced to the Warden to see if that were enough people to begin. Many times he went back to his scratch-drawn eagle on the tabletop, disappointed. When Zavvix finally began discussing their task Tek listened intently. Others asked questions and soon he began to see why they were such a large group. It sounded like a dangerous mission and he would need all the help he could get to handle actual cultists. Finally he spoke up, "I don't get it: what's so special about this village, Cadmoor, that a god of evil would want to bring it into... that place?"
    Games GMed

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ravenor had stayed quiet for a while, his mind analyzing the group that entered temple. An interesting bunch, he thought. As Warden Zavvis explained the situation to everyone gathered, and the mention of Shub-N'varoth had lighted a fire in his chest. Time for a reckoning, time to cleanse the demons from this world.

"Shub-N'varoth and her servants are a plague to every decent and good being on this world. Her filth must not be allowed to grow and expand." He looked back at the rest of the people gathered in the temple with him.

"We have to protect those villagers from the dangers of her corruption. It won't be a pretty task."

15. - Top - End - #15

It may just be that it's a out of the way town, the idea being it'll take longer to alert any serious law enforcement. Rebecca explains to Tek.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

16. - Top - End - #16

"Indeed," Elmir adds. "Since when do such beings need a reason to do these things? Cadmoor is likely just the easiest town to bring over."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

"Time will be of the essence then. If cultists have already spread their roots, it will be difficult to dislodge them." Caspar sips from his own tea as he thinks for a moment. If the group marched up and declared an inquisition, the cultists would surely go to ground and hide. Subtler tactics may be needed. "Do we have any friends in Cadmoor already? How did we hear of this alleged corruption?"
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Faye listens intently to the Warden's words, worry lines showing on her brow. With the poor villagers exposed to such a malevolent threat, there's no question she will be on her way to Cadmoor at the soonest.

Will there be a chance to peacefully dissuade the cultists from their plans? She feels unsure in this regard. I will try though. If that doesn't work out... She studies the group of companions assembled around the table. For a moment, her gaze comes to rest on the birdman's quite impressive drawing of an eagle. She can't help breaking into an amused chuckle. I'm confident we will be able to outdraw them.
    Last edited by Rogue227; 2018-10-28 at 02:44 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"You're both saying town when I thought Cadmoor was just a village," Tek says to those addressing him. "Maybe it's a practice shot, eh? Make a village disappear, not too strange about that in the Forest. But if the cultists figure out how to do that then what's to stop them from buffeting their plans until they can take this Temple? Or Aaranumbral? I'm not saying that it's not important, I'm asking why start with this village." He directs that last at the Warden, hoping that the scenario he just thought of wouldn't come to pass.
    Last edited by MintyNinja; 2018-10-28 at 02:54 PM.
    Games GMed

20. - Top - End - #20

"Tek," Zavvix chuckles, "there's nothing remarkable about evil people doing evil things in a small town. As far as we're aware, the cult arose when an unknown figure in the town, possibly a new arrival and possibly someone who was recently touched by madness, began to attract a following. As far as we're aware, nothing remarkable about Cadmoor compared to any other town."

"And Caspar," he turns his gaze as he swirls his tea in his clay mug, "We have two agents currently in Cadmoor: Alvinea and Phillip Moordam, half-elf twins who both own Moordam's Traveler's Emporium. They found out after a townsperson went insane in a square, ranting about the Mother of Goats. Later that evening, they caught a glimpse of some figures in black, bloodstained robes running through town square. We know nothing past there, but we've come to what we thing is a reasonable conclusion."

"Any more questions?" Zavvix asks. "I'd rather you know what you're walking in to..." His face darkens as he takes a swig of tea.

Spoiler: Shub-N'varoth
    Show
    She is known by many names: Queen of Rot, Master of Asphodel, Mistress of Plague, and yes, Mother of Goats.

21. - Top - End - #21

Elmir sips his tea, and responds slowly. "Should we avoid drawing attention to our agents, or start our search by checking with them for anything new?"

22. - Top - End - #22

Zavvix looks at Elmir. "I would try and secure information without risking the contact's safety and sanity, if possible. We'd prefer to keep the contacts, so if at any point they would be in danger, I would advise you make them a priority..."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

At the Warden's response Tek sits back down and crosses his arms, choosing to keep silent. It didn't make sense to him, but there wasn't any point in arguing it here. If it really was just a random happenstance then they would deal with it handily. But, if there was any reason to suspect something deeper, he would need to keep an eye out.
    Games GMed

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Anything noteworthy in the area around this Cadmoor place? And when do leave, then?" Glim says, still sounding upbeat.

25. - Top - End - #25

"Nothing too remarkable 'round Cadmoor. A stream nearby, sure, but nothing too interesting otherwise." Zavvix takes another sip. "I plan on having you all pack supplies within the next two hours, and leaving before sunset. Cadmoor should be n more than three days or so away. I'll provide a map," he says as he snaps his fingers and a folded sheet of parchment appears on the table.

"Now, any final questions, or are you itching for action yet?"

26. - Top - End - #26

Three days, assuming the village doesn't move? Rebecca snarked.

We should pack at least two weeks worth of food. She recommends.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

So far, Faye has thoughtfully followed the conversation. Now, the petite girl stands up to make herself heard.

"Milord, you expressed your wish that we shut down the temple. Do you have any particular directions on how to deal with the cultists? Will it be enough to drive them off? Or would you have us seize them and bring them here? What about any poor townspeople corrupted by the cult?"

She pauses to brush a streak of hair out of her face.

"We're still not sure what exactly is happening at Cadmoor. Will we be able to contact you for further instructions once we have arrived there and gathered more specific information? Or are we to decide on our own how to proceed? If so, who are you appointing the leader of this venture?"
    Last edited by Rogue227; 2018-10-29 at 04:43 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ravenor looks at Faye as she speaks, and memories of times long past quickly flash before his eyes, of a town burning, and people screaming.

"In my experience, just merely driving out the cultist will only make them try harder and smarter next time, and that makes them become far more dangerous." He pauses for a second, deep in thought for just the briefest of moments. "As for the townsfolk, I think it depends on their level of corruption. When we get there, we can't really trust anyone but ourselves, and maybe our contacts. If we can help anyone, we should. But whoever we can't help, it would be a mercy to kill them than to leave them to the corruption."

29. - Top - End - #29

Zavvix looks gravely at Faye and Ravenor. "Try and be as noninvasive as possible, but the highest priority is always to shut down whatever institution Shub-N'varoth has set up. I'd prefer you to keep as many cultists as unharmed as possible, but if they're beyond the point of no return, then do what you must. Please bring any surviving cultists back under the most secure conditions possible."

"Good questions!" Zavvix chuckles. "Anything else?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Caspar listens to the points brought up by those who would be his companions and strokes his chin in thought. I believe we are getting ahead of ourselves... he mused silently as he finishes his cup of tea while it was still hot. "I have things to pack and organize, but I am ready to take my leave if there are no objections."