New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Default A Question of Leadership

So, just a little question that popped into my head--the Leadership feat says that a Cohort must be two levels lower than the character. Does this mean that the Cohort must have an overall ECL two levels lower? Or is it just based off hitdice? For that matter, does two levels lower mean two hitdice lower?

Just a question. Read nothing into it.

Or else.

Thank you and have a nice day.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A Question of Leadership

I believe it's ECL, but ask the monocled beholder for a verified answer.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I believe the DMG says that you use ECL when determining what's acceptable for a cohort. I don't have access to it right now though, so I can't double-check.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

All my DM's told me ECL, and I believe I read it myself as well. I've always used that to determine when I can have the half-dragon stone giant hulking hurler cohort I'm so fond of asking the DM for.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of adventurers, for you are expendable and full of EXP.

Overblown fantasy action/adventure/comedy/drama/spoof. Updates M/W/F

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Think about it this way: If you could take any creature based off of HD rather than ECL, then nothing would prevent you from taking a Pseudonatural Paragon Phrenic Greater Barghest. Granted, no DM would allow that, but you can see how unbalanced basing things solely off of HD can be. As a slightly less drastic example, there'd be no reason to take a seventh-level druid cohort over a 6 HD Nymph Druid 1 chohort: The latter casts as an eighth-level druid and gets a host of other abilities, while the former just trades the Reflex save for a Fortitude save and gets slightly more hit points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.