New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Favored Soul: No Wings (repost, 'cause i'm a moron)

I already posted this, but in the wrong forum, and I was directed here instead. I want a variant of the Favored Soul class that replaces the Wings class feature with something more grounded (no pun intended). I'm going for a charismatic evangelist kind of feel.
    for reference, this is for my middle-ages/renaissance setting, and this class would be for the emerging protestant sects.
    no religious commentary please. just suggestions on possible class feature replacements.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Favored Soul: No Wings (repost, 'cause i'm a moron)

Quote Originally Posted by petermcleod117 View Post
    I already posted this, but in the wrong forum, and I was directed here instead. I want a variant of the Favored Soul class that replaces the Wings class feature with something more grounded (no pun intended). I'm going for a charismatic evangelist kind of feel.
    for reference, this is for my middle-ages/renaissance setting, and this class would be for the emerging protestant sects.
    no religious commentary please. just suggestions on possible class feature replacements.
    Not sure what you have in mind, but my overhaul priest (plus variants) is packed with features. Maybe you'll find something useful in it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Taking a cue from jiriku, you could give them impetuous endurance--you no longer automatically fail saving throws on a 1. Simple and effective enough.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by petermcleod117 View Post
    You could use the Spontaneous Divine Cleric instead of the Favored Soul -- it's generally stronger, and it's got no wings.

In terms of adapting a D&D class to monotheism: you might use Saints or Archangels as a replacement for separate gods. For example: an apostle blessed by Saint Gygax might have access to the Law, Luck, and Trickery domains.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

You could also use the Mystic class from Dragonlance Campaign Setting. Relative to the Favored Soul, it has the advantages of using only one ability score (wisdom) for casting, and of gaining a domain. However, it has the disadvantages of knowing (slightly) fewer spells, and of not having any class features.