New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous 2 [3.5]

Trawyn

Tucking the wand away, "That's good to know Sosiel. One less problem to solve."

Turning to Jemus, "If I'm not mistaken the dretches are fairly slow due to their small stature, so perhaps your plan could work in reverse. Exploit the disparity in the two forces to separate them, isolate them, and destroy them one at a time....but how do we draw them out?"

2. - Top - End - #422
    Firbolg in the Playground

Semult has a warm smile even with the battle approaching. Discussions were coming along. "The wand can still be useful since the spell can also ensure a critical hit. Not all of us have cold iron weapons. " Semult gives a questioning nod to Tellos.

"Drawing the tieflings out ahead of the stupid dretches? I think we would need much more space than we have. It should be easy to draw the dretches out, just show them a target, right? A battle plan... I suggest we form a reverse wedge back out of sight with eight squads, four on either side with a hole at the point. I'll make an illusion to cover them as prickly brush with mosquitos buzzing around. The other two squads go get their attention. Now would seem a prime time to make use of Yaniel's Blade, wouldn't it? After the vanguard gets them coming then fall all they way back through the center of our formation to get more of them in our kill zone. We can save the Entangle until later in the fight if their numbers become an issue. I can use Glitterdust to soften them once battle is engaged. A web spell in the gorge can cut off their retreat."

"Any concerns or dissent? We are equals here."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

Jemus spits out some of the dirt that has been collecting in his mouth. Rubbing his chin in contemplation, he shakes his head. "Nothing more to add."

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ogre in the Playground

Tellos
    It sounds like a plan. The ends of the crescent will be the most imperiled, I will take the right side.

5. - Top - End - #425

"Good point. Once I am done with the illusion I'll focus on supporting those points. If need be fall back to make a single front line. Trawyn, would you lead the vanguard to persuade the enemy to give chase?"

"If nothing else, spread the plan to the rest of the company and let's form up."
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

From their huddle, Jemus stands from where he was squating as he wipes his hands on his pants. With a nod, he moves to 2nd squad and begins gathering up the men to inform them of the plan.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ettin in the Playground

Trawyn

"I should....hopefully, be able to buy us the extra speed needed to execute this plan. I'll inform First Squad."

He stands, places a hand lightly on the holy symbol around his neck, "May Iomedae see us through this day safely," then moves off purposefully.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Colossus in the Playground

The battle with these two armies is less one-sided than your earlier battle, but still one-sided. You move on, into Keeper's Canyon, and deeper into the Worldwound.

Your travel takes you by an abandoned temple, through the Ahari Gorge, and finally, to the outskirts of Drezen. The riverbed rises at a noticeable slope for these last few miles, rising up out ofthe Ahari gorge, and a stink of smoke and grime can be detected on the wind.

Scouting Drezen, you determine that Citadel Drezen is surrounded by a wall and seven watchtowers. Each watchtower seems to be guarded by a few figures, and each is armed with a large catapult.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Novabomb asked me about this again, which finally pushed me into figuring out what exactly to do. You've skipped a fair amount of dungeon-crawling, battles that would have taken literally years in play-by-post format, but you haven't skipped any plot.

If you try to learn more about any of the NPC advisors during the several days of travel time, let me know what general approach you're taking; if you're using divination magic you might learn more than they'd voluntarily tell you, but you might also anger them. Alternatively, you can largely ignore them. If you talk to any of them about themselves, you should pretty automatically learn the following information about each:

Spoiler: Aron Kir
    Show
    Aron is from Cassomir in the empire of Taldor. After his parents were (rightfully, he says) convicted of treason, he joined a gang, and Taldor law enforcement ultimately "encouraged" him to join the forces Taldor sends to support the Mendevian Crusades. In Kenabres, he met Sosiel, who became his lover, in the Temple of Shelyn. A few weeks before the fall of Kenabres, Aron accepted a temporary post at Clydwell Keep, where he was to aid a team of engineers sent to overhaul and maintain the traps and defenses of the aging fortress. The fortress was on the brink of being overrun when Vorlesh called for all demons to immediately leave Kenabres.

Though Aron's knowledge of engineering, if you ask him any related questions, is impressive, he seems less confident in his own abilities than your other advisors. In the battles you've seen since you set out, you've observed that his fighting style relies on finesse.

Spoiler: Nurah Dendiwhar
    Show
    Nurah is from Cheliax, and came to Drezen shortly before it fell, as part of the retinue of a noble supporting the Crusades. Of her original party, she alone made it out of Drezen, and subsequently became an advisor to Queen Galfrey. If asked about Cheliax, she deflects questions, but it's easy for anyone who knows the Empire of Devils to deduce that "halfling servant" there is a euphemism for "slave." She seems cheerful and confident, eagerly saying that she thinks this is the most important place for her skills.

Spoiler: Sosiel Vaenic
    Show
    Sosiel Vaenic is from Andoran. As a young man, he joined the church of Shelyn and served in Shelyn's parish on the outskirts of Carpenden. He came north to join the Crusades with his brother, Trever Vaenic, an Eagle Knight who disappeared on the field of battle in the northeastern Worldwound. Since then, Sosiel has spent several years among the crusaders of Mendev, serving in the church of Shelyn in Kenabres, before it was destroyed in the recent events. He says he will not leave Mendev until the Worldwound is defeated. Sosiel projects a sense of calm and serenity. Sosiel and Aron are lovers.
    Last edited by Kish; 2020-08-22 at 07:51 PM.

9. - Top - End - #429

"Well done! See to our wounded and search the area for anything useful." The battle at Keeper's Canyon left hundreds of enemy dead. Semult used his magic to detect items of magical note among the dead.

After the battlefield is searched and a break for the army after the massive battle, it was time to move on. There were many more enemies to face. Along the march Semult continues to get to know others, primarily the other knights and the consultants, yet happy to hear the stories of the paladins as the opportunity arises. The conjurer's thirst for knowledge blended with getting to know his peers and troops, a leadership trait he had read about and was genuinely trying to live up to.

With the consultants he focused on the mission on hand. Nurah's knowledge of Drezen- the layout, key locations, any suspected secret passages into the city. He wants the knights and squad leaders to also get familiar with the city's layout, even if some things may have changed in the meantime.

Semult was keen on Aron's knowledge of engineering. It was an area of knowledge that he hadn't touched much in the past. He... they... needed to know their options in dealing with a fortified city.

Sosiel knew the enemy the best. It came natural to him absorb all the priest would describe about demons and their abilities. Semult instituted a program for the paladins to shore up their identification and knowledge of the various types.

The army was now outside Citadel Drezen. He gazed from afar with the other leaders. Pulling back out of sight, he opened up the discussion for options.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ettin in the Playground

Trawyn

"Nurah, can you tell us anything about those watch towers? "

11. - Top - End - #431

"There were catapults on them before," the cheerful halfling replies. "If they're intact, they're probably being used for the same purpose by the demons now."

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ettin in the Playground

Trawyn

"Got it. Catapults. Can't have a watchtower that you can't 'watch' from, so there have to be large windows or openings. Any chance to take one of the towers from the outside?"

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

Jemus stands behind a rock as he scans the distance, trying to gauge how far it was to the walls and towers while looking to see if the demons have kept the killing zone clear of debris and brush, finding a way to sneak up if at all possible. Looking back at the troops and what he knows of their small force causes him to grind his teeth. "Unless we can mount the walls with a small force and take out the guards without raising an alarm, I don't think we can get this group close enough by stealth alone... unless the knights were to wear some of the armor and accouterments of the forces we just fought, though I doubt it with this lot." he says to the rest of the commanders.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ettin in the Playground

Trawyn

Glancing to Jemus, "I like where your heads at, but actually I was wondering about a much smaller group, that could perhaps fly or levitate up to one of the openings....."

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, that ain't me. I can't magic my way out of a sack." he says with a wry grin on his face.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ettin in the Playground

Trawyn

"Who has the dragon scale that allows them to levitate?"

17. - Top - End - #437

Alamryn speaks up then holds it out. "I have it."
    Show

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

Tellos hesitates for a moment before speaking up.
    I can make it up the wall quickly, but I am not skilled in the ways of stealth.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, if Aron or I can use the dragon scale to levitate up and hide a bit, then... um... drop the scale down and we can get as large a group as reasonable to take that area without creating a ruckus or are seen. I don't know... sounds a bit crazy." Jemus says as he runs his hands through his hair.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground

Tellos
    Rope is probably easier than re-using the scale. How do we get close enough to the wall to do this?

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

"Luck and stealth, maybe some magic? When I was taking messages from the front back to command, I had to move through hostile territory and I'm not too bad at it. If I can get through, maybe with some else with some skill or magic, we can get to the top and throw a rope down. Then we would just need to hold the top long enough for reinforcements."

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

Tellos
    Then lets get started.

23. - Top - End - #443

Semult was pleased with the many ideas expressed. He had gotten lost in thought as the others started to finalize their plans.

"Come to think of it. Aren't tieflings only able to see abut 60' in the dark? If the towers are 40' then they won't be able to see too far outward on the ground. We can use the dark to our advantage. If we wait until just before dawn that will also let us plan our prepared magics. At that point I can use Silent Image to cover the approach for myself and a few others. Once at the wall I can teleport myself and 2 others to the top of the tower. Three people can use the Levitate scale to follow us up and secure ropes for others to follow. I can use the Longstrider wand on a number of us beforehand."

"I'll take our best warriors so they can dispatch the guards at that tower before they can raise the alarm. We'll need to take the gatehouse just as quickly."

"This is presuming we open the gate and let our forces rush through in an all out assault. We need to know all the specifics Aron and Nurah to have plans once we breach the gates. The evening will give us time to plan. This is risky since we don't know their numbers or internal defenses. Unless we have other suggestions...?"
    Show

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ettin in the Playground

Trawyn

"I can teleport myself up to the guard tower, but only myself....or I could join the men storming the gate and move them with preternatural speed."

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ettin in the Playground

Trawyn

The words hang in the air for a couple of minutes as an uncomfortable silence begins to build.

"You know, instead of guess work, maybe we should just go have a look."

Spoiler: OC
    Show
    Don't know how far out we are, but would like to get a direct look at this place and the approach if at all possible.
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2020-11-01 at 07:58 AM.

26. - Top - End - #446

Spoiler
    Show

A large number of tieflings and human cultists alike are camped in Drezen's southern district at Southbank, and they're guarding a large amount of what appears to be captured crusader gear. A similar number of schir demons hold Paradise Hill, once a district of warehouses and food stores that sat atop the high ground east of the citadel. It appears the demons are now using the area as a prison
    for captured crusaders. There are large numbers of undead lurking in Drezen's cemetery, particularly ghouls. The largest vault in the cemetery seems to be surrounded by eerie shadows, as if some vile magic were at work within.

You see that the rivers of Drezen are dry, but their beds and the steep angled gulches still present a difficulty for mounted paladins to navigate. One bridge is destroyed, leaving only one intact. Finally, each of the seven watchtowers appears to be guarded by a few figures, and each does have an intact catapult, currently aimed away from the citadel, toward anything that would approach on that side.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ettin in the Playground

Trawyn

Gathering around, this time with fresh intel, Trawyn studies the others for a few moments then breaks the silence, "Our mission is a simple one, but the layout and occupation of Drezen complicates things. My initial thoughts are to liberate the prisoners then seize the equipment and gear to equip them....but my head tells me they're likely not in fighting shape, AND such a move would give away our elements of surprise if we are to take the Citadel. Moving up the dry riverbed and quickly on the Citadel holds some appeal, but certainly not possible with such numbers as ours."

He pauses for a long moment, "What about a combination? Such a thing would be incredibly risky, but what if we sent the army against the forces occupy Southbank, while we move on the Citadel? Would we be squandering the advantage our forces give us by spending them on a diversionary action?"

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

Tellos
    There is value to securing the closest watch towers, and the bridge, but the Citadel is a step too far. I will not forsake our brethren.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ettin in the Playground

Trawyn

"There is undoubtedly value in seizing the bridge and the watch towers, the cost however may be a protracted battle to clear Drezen street by street. If that increases our chances of success, I certainly support it. Honestly, I've no idea what you mean by 'forsaking our brethren'. Are you implying that you view any decision other than striking the prisoner camp directly as dishonorable?"

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

"What if we don't try to gain the gate, first, but get over the wall on the north side, between two of the towers? If we can move in and take the gate from the inside... well, I got to imagine this isn't something they would be expecting. If can manage the gate and send some signal... maybe with magick? then we can open the gate if the rest come charging in. A small group could use that dry river bed to circle up and around."