HalflingPirate

Default True Strike/Blade Ward Fix?

True Strike
    Divination cantrip
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: 30 feet
    Components: S
    Duration: Concentration, up to 1 round

You extend your hand and point a finger at a target in range. Your magic grants you a brief insight into the target's defenses. The target must succeed on an Wisdom saving throw, or the next attack against it has advantage.

This spell's damage increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d6 damage to the target, where the damage is the type used by the weapon. At 11th level, it increased to 2d6. At 17th, 3d6.
    Classes: Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard

Blade Ward
    Abjuration cantrip
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: 30 feet
    Components: V, S
    Duration: concentration, up to 1 round

You extend your hand and trace a sigil of warding in the air. Choose a target within range. The next melee attack made against that target has disadvantage.

This spell has other effects at higher levels. At 5th level, if the disadvantaged attack hits, the damaged is reduced by 1d4. At 11th level, it is reduced by 2d4. At 17th, 3d4.
    Classes: Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard

What do you think? Also, tips on wording for these features? I want it as PHB friendly as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Even if they don't have a Reaction, they can now talk through "brief utterances", which certainly includes stuff like "Help!", "Assassin!!", or "AAAAAAHHHHHHHHRRRRRRGGGGG!!!!!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: True Strike/Blade Ward Fix?

Initially my thought was that the scaling damage increase/decrease was unnecessary because the value of advantage/disadvantage is fairly consistent across 1-20. However, with a little thought, that's not true. Multiple attacks and alternate sources of advantage and disadvantage are more common at higher levels, making the buff/debuff easier to come by. So after some consideration I think the dice scaling is a great idea, especially for true strike.

That said, I your new blade ward is worse than the original. I've lost the ability to guarantee half damage against all weapon attacks for one round, and its place I have the chance of taking no damage from only one attack, or the guarantee of reducing the damage of that one attack only slightly. This is much worse than dodging, and only the ability to apply it to an ally saves it from being completely useless. A better approach might be to take the core of your idea (cast on a nearby ally) and just improve the defense that is granted. For example, what if you could cast on a nearby ally and grant both resistance to all weapon attacks and disadvantage on all weapon attacks for 1 full round? That would be a great panic button for an ally who is in trouble, and would always be better than dodging for yourself if you expect weapon attacks and not area attacks. It's also simple, with no scaling damage reduction to look up.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.