New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default How do Merfolk "walk" (or otherwise use their land speed)?

As the title: How do Merfolk walk? For the life of me I just can't figure it out, nor think of any sort of justification that works for me. I mean, their tail is too short to move like a snake, and some sort of jumping method (like a fish flopping around on land, only precise enough to actually go somewhere) is just too silly for me.

So, how do they get around? Thoughts and ideas appreciated
    P.S. "Get a pair of legs" is not appreciated
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: How do Merfolk "walk" (or otherwise use their land speed)?

They drag themselves around with their arms, presumably.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I assume they just slither around like clumsy snakes... Sure, their tails are too short, but small limbs never stopped dragons and fey from flying.
    Homebrew Stuff:

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

They make as if to move, and then there's a cut, or the camera pans away. When we see them again, they've already arrived.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

The easiest way to express this sort of motion is by a video, so - take a look at some footage of mudskipper walking. It's basically an arm pull mixed with elements of fish flopping, but managing to not look completely ineffective and stupid. It's still slow, but merfolk don't tend to be the fastest on land anyways.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Or you could model them off seals. The eared seals (sea lions and fur seals) in particular are surprisingly mobile on land. This may not work so well with the traditional fish tail

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Or you could model them off seals. The eared seals (sea lions and fur seals) in particular are surprisingly mobile on land. This may not work so well with the traditional fish tail
    Well... The way mermaids are more often depicted, their movements are actually closer to seals than actual fish... Not by coincidence, since the human actresses playing those mermaids are closer to other mammals than to fish in the evolutionary scale.
    Homebrew Stuff:

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Well... The way mermaids are more often depicted, their movements are actually closer to seals than actual fish... Not by coincidence, since the human actresses playing those mermaids are closer to other mammals than to fish in the evolutionary scale.
    Even in animation where that isn't a concern you still tend to get angles more like whales or seals than fish. Up and down movement is common, and I'm not entirely sure I've ever seen fish like side to side movement in a visual depiction of a mermaid.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Even in animation where that isn't a concern you still tend to get angles more like whales or seals than fish. Up and down movement is common, and I'm not entirely sure I've ever seen fish like side to side movement in a visual depiction of a mermaid.
    Harry Potter mermaids in the Goblet of Fire movie did have side-to-side - the tail was very sharklike.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele