New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1025262728293031323334353637383940414243444560 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1912
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

"No fear of that - jokes aren't really my thing," Severin deadpans the veteran.

When they're ushered into Colten's presence, he keeps quiet and lets Gabriele do the talking for now.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The man puts away the book and pen he is using, and stands up. And up. His head brushes the low ceiling, and he towers over Gabrielle. "Yes, the pay will be good. You'll get a basic share of whatever valuables or coin we find. I will reward bravery or strength of arms, such things are pleasing to me." He scowls a bit and then says, "Our food problems will be solved soon. These... peasants... have scared off most of the game around here. If you want to go fishing or hunting, let me know before you try your luck. Food, at least, we share and share alike. No hoarding."

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Peasants? What peasants? Him?" Severin asks, nodding at Tick while scratching his head in apparent confusion.

Let Gabriele be the smart cookie this time round...he thinks to himself.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele nodded at the notion of sharing loot, 'It's only fair. There are peasants all over. Would this be the Halfings in Stralwald?'

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Peasants are the same everywhere. They scare off the game so they can farm. They fear the wolf in the night, so they kill it in the day." He shrugs. "Back home the forests were deeper and darker, where a man could face his true nature. South of the river, things are better. You'll see. Do you enjoy the thrill of the hunt?" he asks, suddenly looking closely at Gabrielle.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dojango View Post
    "Back home the forests were deeper and darker,
    'Ain't that the truth. So what are you doing down here.' She'll consider his question. 'Can't say I don't enjoy it when I hit what I aimed at. I have to eat.'

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"I don't know what Tick told you... it is an apt name for that man... but we are here because Otto wants these people to pay him tribute, instead of that puffed-up fool in Bremcote. And we're going to make them. Once they've finished the harvest, we're going to take it. And then we'll see. If the Duke's still sitting on his arse, we'll raid the valley for a bit. Once he responds, we'll fade south of the river. Otto is a great hunter, and he welcomes fine shots within his ranks." Colten reaches over to the corner of the room and shows you a musket. "I never had the patience to learn the bow, but this thing works just fine for me."

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"A fine-looking piece," Severin volunteers. "Ain't seen any guns since I came across the mountains. How're you keeping yourself in powder?"

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"It is a fine piece," Colten agrees. "You have a keen eye. I would say that this gun is of the best craftdwarfship. Powder is in short supply. They don't use guns too much in these parts. Only got three of them with us right now. There is a gunsmith and powdermill in Sullivan's Gulch (V15), though, could get some more from there. Or from the Tilean merchants that run Mirello (W26). Something to figure out once all this is over."
    Last edited by dojango; 2020-06-03 at 09:12 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Ettin in the Playground

'That's for killing knights...or so I've heard, but it's a little slow for me. Better make sure you hit what you aim at.'

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"So...ehm, it looked to me like you've got yourself quite the little army here when Tick brought us in. Where does one go for a bite to eat? And where can we pitch our tents?"

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

He puts the gun back down. "Knight. Lions. Maybe even a gryphon or a wyvern." Turning to Severin he says, "Not so fast, friend. A few months ago, one of Sol's boys, Scully, came by. We made a deal. They'd stay on their side of the river, and we'd stay on our side. Why'd Sol send you sniffing around here?"
    Last edited by dojango; 2020-06-04 at 12:09 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Ettin in the Playground

'Not working for Sol anymore. One of his boys had a problem with me and I'm a little bored of dealing with that, so I decided to move on and try my luck over here. If any of those idiots had thought to tell me there was a deal on I might have been a little more careful.'

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"What she said," Severin nods in agreement with Gabriele's tale. "Besides, we never said that we were with Sol. Your man Tick assumed we were, and it seemed smart to let him think so until we could get the lay of the land, so to speak."

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Ah. Deserters, then." He shrugs. "It happens. However, if you are to join our little band, I must insist that you stay with us until the end of the campaign. Besides, if you leave us before then, you'll miss out on the spoils. Do we have an agreement?"

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Ettin in the Playground

'I do like spoils. What do you want from us in the meantime?'

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"In the meantime? Rest, train. Gamble. We move in three weeks. The peasants will have finished their work by then, and then it will be our time for the harvest. The hour grows late for now. You wanted to find a place to pitch a tent? Toby! Toby!" Colten shouts out. The old veteran from earlier sticks his head in the room. "Find the new lad... and lass... a place to camp. With the others."

The veteran, Toby, nods, and leads the two of you back out of the house. Tick is nowhere to be seen. He leads you to the southern side of the farmhouse. In a torn-up field there are ten tents haphazardly pitched, with a cook-fire in the middle. Toby gestures towards the squalid camp. "Set up with them. They'll be yer mates, fer now. Grab some grub. It ain't much, but we'll be eatin' well in a few weeks, so cinch yer belt if you must."

Tending the pot, you can see another halfling, very young. Next to her, holding a switch, is a middle-aged woman with greying hair tied back. The pot has a thin rice gruel simmering in it.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

(Once Toby's gone on his way)

"Ahem!" Severin harrumphs to get the older woman's attention. "We're new recruits. Toby said we could make camp here and get a bite to eat?" he says, nodding meaningfully at the rice gruel.

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Ettin in the Playground

To Severin, 'We probably should get a tent at some point. You ever slept on the ground?' Hopefully they wouldn't be here for that long.

She looks closer at the gruel, 'No wonder Tick went fishing. No offense Miss.' She'll address the Halfling girl.

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The young halfling girl picks up some wooden bowls and ladles some gruel into it. She doesn't make eye contact or respond. The older woman snaps out, "I don't wanna hear it! You wanna find summat to cook up, you bring it here. And no hoarding!" She points the switch at Severin. "Don't think I won't keep my eye on you." she says to him.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    To Severin, 'We probably should get a tent at some point. You ever slept on the ground?' Hopefully they wouldn't be here for that long.
    "Once or twice," Severin answers. "I prefer a coaching inn with proper beds whenever possible, though."

"I don't wanna hear it! You wanna find summat to cook up, you bring it here. And no hoarding!" She points the switch at Severin. "Don't think I won't keep my eye on you." she says to him.
    "Tsk. I guess proper food really is scarce around here. Didn't anyone think to bring some supplies along before going on campaign?" Severin comments. "And it's foolish to stare, madam. Don't you know if you do it for too long your eyes'll shrivel up and drop out o' yer head?"

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    "Tsk. I guess proper food really is scarce around here. Didn't anyone think to bring some supplies along before going on campaign?" Severin comments. "And it's foolish to stare, madam. Don't you know if you do it for too long your eyes'll shrivel up and drop out o' yer head?"
    To the woman, 'You ought to be careful ma'am, he's been known to get violent when he's hungry.' Gabriele will take some gruel and then move slightly to stand between them just in case. She'll point to the Halfling girl and play innocent, 'She work for you?'

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The woman merely continues to glare at Severin. "What you see is what we got." But she backs up a few steps from Severin. "Yeah. She works for me now so don't go expectin' her to do yer chores."

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Severin laughs in response. "Don't worry, I've been doin' me own chores for a long time now. So, you have a name, madam? And what's with the layout of the camp here? Looked to me like there's actually three camps in one when we got here. It sure would help to know who's who and who we should steer clear of," he says, trying to sound gruff but friendly.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Ettin in the Playground

"Yeah. She works for me now so don't go expectin' her to do yer chores."
    'Not even if I slipped you a few coins? Always nice to have someone to carry the firewood.' She had to ask.

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The woman shrugs. "You give me the coins and maybe she'll have time for yer chores, then. Hey! Berry! Go get us some more firewood!" shouts the woman. The halfling girl turns and heads off towards the edge of the woods. Once she's out of earshot, the woman says, "Clever bastard, ain't ya? Colten's got the lads divvied up. One group is the guys who came south with him. Imperials. They keep to themselves. Another group is Otto's veterans. Some of his trusted crew. This lot..." she waves around at the camp. "Is the assorted riff-raff. New recruits, deserters, scum. Like you two."

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Ettin in the Playground

New recruits, deserters, scum. Like you two."
    Couldn't really take offense at insults coming from a slaver, 'Everyone's scum to someone' Gabriele replies evenly. 'Are these Imperials army deserters? At least they'll know what they're doing.'

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"True that," Severin agrees with Gabriele's assessment of who's scum. "Besides, if this is the camp for scum and riff-raff, how come you're here?" he asks the woman with seeming innocence.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

She glares again at Severin. Turning to Gabrielle, she says, "You make sure he watches his mouth around here, eh? Some of the lads'll cut him sooner then breathing, and then where'll you be? Nevermind, maybe just let him run his mouth off and we'll be better off. You wanna know their life story, you can ask them. But if you're looking for a husband or something, I'd stay away from them. Don't like their looks. If you wanna hire the girl, gimme a few coppers a day and she'll wash your clothes or whatevers you need. Keep yer halfling away from her, though. Now git. There's others waiting." Sure enough, a few more men are coming over, bowls in hand. It is getting to be evening, the sun is beginning to slide beneath the treeline. Long shadows cast their way across the field.
    Last edited by dojango; 2020-06-12 at 05:25 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Ettin in the Playground

'I'll keep an eye on him ma'am.' The woman had a point. Gabriele's pretend confidence would only get her so far here. She'll turn her nose up in disgust at the 'husband' comment. 'Not looking, but if I was I think I could do better.' She'll motion Severin so they can get out of earshot.