New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 64 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

Alyssa perks up when Torendil mentions a small portable key and fishes in her bag, eventually producing the ring with a dark stone and asks him, "Maybe this is it?" as she heads over to examine the door from a safe distance for a matching slot.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I forgot to mention, Victor's rather disgusted and scared by the sight of all the gore and death in the temple.

Victor waits for Conrad to finish his explanation. "I'm Victor! Just a travelling crier from Bretonnia. I'm not part of his mission but we uhh, got a tad lost and ran out of food and water. The smoke from the campfire outside brought us here. Your fellows are rather polite!" His eyes are drawn to the woman and the man talking by the door, then noticing all the skeletal remains around the room. "Ah... so... what might be taking place here? Rather dismal place, isn't it?"

3. - Top - End - #393
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Torendril doesn't see any magical objects or residue on the bodies. Glancing back at Alyssa, he notices that the crown she is wearing has a similar magical pattern on it as the door. As Alyssa approaches the door, the magical wards seem to draw back, as if preparing to allow her passage...

Sir Laurens nods at Victor and Conrad. "I was born here, my father is Duke Bremcote, rightful ruler of the Igerang Valley, from Faucon Pass to the Stralwald forest. Some foul mutants seem to have made their home in this ruin. We've destroyed the foul beasts, now we're exploring this place. This was once the abode of an evil sorcerer, until he was defeated by the great Heraklon! About two, maybe three hundred years ago, I reckon. Curious that you mention Sigmar. Don't know much about them, the monks over at Sigmar's Rest would know more. Dunno if they get pilgrims headed out their way or not, but they've been there for ages. We did found an old scroll while searching this place. Apparently the evil Magos banned worship of Sigmar in his lands." Sir Laurens takes the scroll case from one of the servants and hands Conrad an extemely officious looking scroll that reads:

By the Order of Magos Valens of the Red Temple. Worship of the false-god Sigmar is hereby banned. All heretical texts and icons of this false religion are to be surrendered to be destroyed immediately. All false priests of that order are hereby condemned to execution. Anyone harboring a priest will be put to death as well. Anyone turning in a priest will be rewarded with 30 pieces of gold.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Victor's eyes go wide as Laurens mentions his father. He drops into an exaggerated bow, one arm on his chest, the other behind his back. "Goodness me, a noble. My apologies."
    His heritage as a peasant of Bretonnia has him on autopilot, the beatings and days going hungry taught him too well what happens when a noble is disrespected.

As he turns his attention to Gustav, Victor will finally come out of the bow. "Evil Magos? Why would he outlaw a religion? Why was he evil?"

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Take a look around the temple, lad, and maybe you'll get an idea of what manner o' gods this Magos Valens worshipped. I'll bet you a silver piece it weren't anyone who's name you'd say in public - even in Bretonnia."

OOC: Can we assume that Torendil shares his observations regarding the crown and the door?

6. - Top - End - #396
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Sir Laurens says, "Evil is as evil does, I suppose. The stories tell of human sacrifice, strange rituals, slavery. The cabal of evil sorcerers ruled the borderlands until the hero Heraklon cast them down. Who knows what strange magics they did here? Well, I suppose he would," indicating the elf.

OOC: I would assume so, unless he wants someone to get zapped into a pink slime.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Derp, could have sworn I posted a response here already...

As Alyssa approaches the door, Torendil watches the magical auras carefully. His eyes narrow once the ward on the door draws back. "Stop there," he says once the auras shift. "The ring is not the key... but apparently that crown is." He cautiously approaches the door with her nearby, reaching a hand toward it to see if the spell would allow anyone to pass or only the crown's wearer.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

Conrad

Conrad offers both the elf magister and Sir Laurens a short bow of respect. Taking the note he reads carefully, glad to have had his letters whipped into him by the stern sisters of Sigmar.

"A monster my lord. A monster to have banned the righteous worship of the Heldenhammer". Looking at the elf and the noble he offers help. "This area, and this this temple have seen the touch of evil. I offer my self and my hammer to help in any way I can."
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Thanks, but we already put paid to the sorry leftovers that were living here these days. Only place we haven't been yet is behind that door," Severin nods.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa smiles when Torendil tells her the crown is the key and replies, "Well, then...Just, uh, let me know if anything magical happens and I should stop." With that, she reaches towards the door to open it, stopping if Torendil mentions anything about the magic changing.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Sir Laurens laughs. "Thank you, master Conrad. But as he says, we have destroyed the nest of evil here. For something to be lurking beyond this door would be impossible, it has been sealed for several centuries."

The wards are attuned to the crown and its bearer. Torendril realizes that anyone touching the crown should be safe, and the presence of the crown seems to be suppressing these wards. Once the crown is in the room, in theory, the wards should be suppressed, only reactivating once the crown leaves the room. A clever, and sinister method of protecting one's secrets. Once again, he marvels at the complexity of the ritual and the magic spell. To have lasted all this time without fading away is an impressive testament to the skill of the caster. Such skill should not, cannot belong to a mere human, or so Torendril had always been taught...

Alyssa reaches for the door and wrenches it open. There are no mundane locks, the door simply opens without too much protest. The room inside is pitch black, although you can see light reflecting off something shiny inside.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Beware!" Severin cries out at the sight of the green, glowing...eyes(?) in the darkness. He quickly drops a stone into his sling and whirls it up to speed.

OOC: Is Severin's night vision of any use in penetrating the darkness? We do have light in the room we're in - unless something fishy is going on I would imagine that could count as illumination equivalent to starlight even in the master's study.

Spoiler: Actions in case of imminent combat
    Show
    Initiative: (1d10+47)[53]
    Half Action: Load sling
    Half Action: Aim

13. - Top - End - #403
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Spoiler: Night Vision
    Show

Those whose eyes are specially adapted to the dark can see dimly into the room. There is, standing motionless in the center, a strange, massive skeleton with glowing eyes and massive blades in the place of its hands. It seems to be staring directly at you, although that might be a trick of the light?

14. - Top - End - #404
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Victor reacts to the words and frantically looks around the room as he clumsily draws his sword. "What? What's wrong? Where?"

Show
    Half action: Draw weapon.
    Waste rest of turn being confused and unsure.
    Last edited by Mada; 2019-06-13 at 05:08 AM.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa leaps back from the door, slamming it shut and swearing as soon as she sees the glowing eyes. After a moment, she takes a deep breath and asks, "Did...Did anyone else see that?"

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Severin draws a sharp breath when his eyes adjust to the darkness. "There's...there's a giant skeleton with swords for hands standing in there. It's looking straight at us! Sir Laurens...do we fight?"

17. - Top - End - #407
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

After Alyssa slams the door shut, there is a long pause. Nothing happens. "Calm down, friend," says Sir Laurens. "What did you see? Was it moving? Was it alive? Did it look to be attacking us?"

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa shudders as she replies to Lauren, "All I saw was glowing green eyes in the dark. I figured it'd be better to shut the door and come up with a plan than to just...Wander in there." She then glances at Severin and adds, "Sounds like it was a good plan, honestly."

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"No sir, it wasn't moving, but it's giant skeleton with blades for arms, standing in the study of a wizard or priest of some kind. Maybe it's just a trophy, but considering there are magics at work just to open the door, I believe caution is called for. But if you wish to take the risk of entering the room, I'll go with you, young sir."

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

Conrad

THe priest starts as the eyes gleam in the darkness. He looks to the others, "This temple is indeed a den of evil most foul." At Alyssa's words he nods to the door. "It is our duty to the Gods to destroy such an abomination, together we are mighty and overcome it with faith and steel." Tightening the straps on his shield he grips the heavy hammer carefully ready to rush forward if they open the door or the creature comes out....

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Torendil takes an involuntary step back at the sight--he couldn't make out too much detail, but he didn't like what he could see. He carefully positions himself behind the others, but with a clear line of vision to where the creature was. "I sincerely doubt that creature was simply decorative. Creating its like certainly seems to be within the capabilities of these wizards, and more--we should be cautious, as we do not know what powers it might possess." He raises his hands, ready to launch a dart of destructive energy at the first hostile thing he sees. "Be wary of other guardians or traps, as well--magical or mundane."
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa nods and says, "Right. Alright. Conrad, you go first with the hammer. We'll, uh...Back you up. I'll open the door on three. One...Two...Three!" On three, Alyssa pulls the door wide open and takes a step back, attempting to give Conrad a free path to charge in.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

There she goes again, Severin thinks as the door swings open. Giving his sling a quick whirl, he snaps off a shot at the skeleton within just before Conrad charges.

OOC: Or at least he does if he goes before Conrad.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Initiative: (1d10+47)[52]
    Half action: Aim (+10 BS next attack)
    Half action: Standard attack (1d100)[26] vs. BS 58 (BS 43+Aim)
    Damage (1d10+3)[13]

Ulric's Fury if applicable:
    Attack with sling (1d100)[31]
    Damage (1d10)[4]

Severin has his shield equipped, so he gets a free Parry at +10 and ranged attacks against him take a -10 penalty.
    Wounds (remaining/total): 10/10
    Fortune Points (used/total): 2/3
    Last edited by rax; 2019-06-16 at 06:01 PM.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Once the door is open, Severin lets fly with his trusted sling. The bane of many a bandit or hare around the fields of the Moot, the rock flies straight and true, crunching into the creature's right arm with the cracking of bone. The creature shifts with the force of the blow.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Victor will bring up the rear, shakily holding his blade.

Show
    He wastes his turn seeing what happens.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

Conrad

With hammer and shield in hand Conrad leaps into the fray advancing charing towards the creature and swinging the hammer with a mighty cry of "for the heldenhammer!" as his faith fuels his trong right arm!

Spoiler: CHarge!
    Show

Wounds 12 / 12
    TB 3 (Armour Head 1, Arms 1, Body 3, Legs 0)

Charge (1d100)[58] TN 38+10 charge = 48
    - damage (1d10+3)[7]

Parry: (1d100)[86] TN 48

27. - Top - End - #417
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Conrad charges in with hammer raised high. Perhaps he is surprised by the creature's movement, perhaps it is the poor light of the wizard's staff. But as he crosses some invisible line in the room the skeleton springs into action. Conrad's powerful blow slides past the skeleton into the air, and it swings its two swords towards him in two powerful strikes. Fortunately, it seems just as off-balance as he is, and the blows miss Conrad narrowly.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

Conrad

Conrad looks at the skeletal creature, "Beast of evil. You must be smote..." he mutters as he steps back, more cautiously swinging the hammer hard this time after aiming carefully at the creature's chest

Show

Wounds 12 / 12
    TB 3 (Armour Head 1, Arms 1, Body 3, Legs 0)

Action: Aim
    Action: Attack (1d100)[96] TN 38+10 aim = 48
    - damage (1d10+3)[11]

Parry w/shield: (1d100)[21] TN 48

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa keeps one hand on the door, unsure if letting go would reactivate the wards, as she calls to Conrad, "Pull back! I think it'll deactivate if you leave the room!"

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

(Assuming we're in round 2...)

Severin quickly reloads his sling and brings it up to speed, seeking an opening to hit the skeletal monstrosity.

Quick and dirty actions: Reload sling, Aim for bonus to next attack.