New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

Alyssa frowns and nods to the halfling, replying, "Hmph. You're right. Someone probably ought to go back to make sure the villagers don't lynch Peter. Even if Laurens agrees not to they might take matters into their own hands. Any volunteers?"
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2019-08-05 at 03:48 PM.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ettin in the Playground

'Can't assume they'll do the decent thing and won't hang him.' There weren't really any good options here. 'I can do it. Maybe they'll take it more seriously from someone who can show them the tracks. Besides, it shouldn't be that hard for me to find you all again when you're out in the middle of nowhere.'

3. - Top - End - #543
    Titan in the Playground

Conrad

THe priest looks up, "Aye, maybe. Although we had best be served by holding onto the chase. We can't lose our tracker" Conrad looks at the grass and shivers. "Its almost like the sea. Isn't it?" He trudges onwards, following the tracker his hammer swinging in his hand.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Aye, it's no good you running off Gabriele. If you do we'll never find 'em. I suppose that makes me the one that has to go back," Severin says, sounding distinctly unenthusiastic. "I'm going to need Bertrand anyway if the grass is this high all over the place. You lot keep tracking, but mind you don't do anything stupid while I'm gone. If I can, I'll be bringing reinforcements, so make sure you leave a decent trail for me to follow."

5. - Top - End - #545
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa nods to Severin and replies, noting the unhappiness, "Alright then, if you're sure you want to. I could go back myself but I don't know how convincing I'd be or how quickly I'd be able to get back here and catch up."

6. - Top - End - #546
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

As the rest of the party continues down the trail, Severin turns and starts following the path back towards the village. Although he considers cutting a trail south west to save some time, the dense grass and gently rolling hills make it impossible for him to find an easy path. He ends up following the trail back towards the swimming pool. He arrives there about mid-morning, and sees a few of the villagers poking around. One of them points at Severin and a small group soon greets him. Severin recognizes two of them as some of Sir Laurens' archers. One of the archers says, "Aye, there you are, cutter. Toldem' nothing out here could stop you. Nothin' natural, at any rate. You find any sign of the girl? Sir Laurens says they won't hold a trial without a body. It's the rules.

Back following the trail, Gabriele finds it easy going. Their quarry hasn't made much effort to hide their tracks. The grassy plains give way to rolling hills, but the trail heads towards the mountain pass. Booted feet mixed with the girl's bare feet. About mid-day, Gabriele finds something interesting... a sharp rock with blood on it. There are a few bloody footprints leading away, and then the blood trail stops. As do the bare footprints. The trail keeps heading towards the mountains.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele doesn't argue the point, 'Maybe I should teach the rest of you how to do this. It's easy when you know what to look for. And if you manage to get lost, I'll find you.'

As she moved on she'll make a conscious effort to leave enough of a trail that even a novice might be able to follow it. She'll point out the blood trail to the others. 'I'd say there was a fight of some kind and they're carrying her after.' Assuming there was no sign of anything else here. She doubted Elodie knew enough to hide herself if she had someone managed to get away.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Added more because Dojango updated.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

Conrad

THe priest is oblivious to much of the trails that Gabriele is following. He can't see the differences or the subtle signs that she does. At the blood stains poited out he nods. "I would guess it would either be a fight, or as the foot prints stop I would guess they must be carrying her. THat's good, should slow them down a little." He takes a long sip of water, offering the skin around and wipes the sweat off his bald head. "What sort of man would kidnap a young girl eh? The hammer of justice will be swift for these people when we catch them." He looks out across the horizon for any obvious location where they might be heading.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show

(1d100)[61] TN 35

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Glad to hear it, friend. Sounds like a sensible law," Severin answers. "We haven't found the girl yet, but we've good reason to believe she's still alive. We found a basket in the mud over there along with a mass of booted footprints and a single set of barefoot tracks. We followed the tracks and came to a burnt out homestead - it looks like the booted folk were camping there, then came down here, found Elodie, and took her with them. Oh, and they had lamb for dinner, so they're probably responsible for the missing lamb young Peter was looking for."

"We followed their trail east across the river. After a couple of hours we had to make camp. When we got going again, the trail turned away from the river towards the mountains. The rest of the group is still following, but we agreed that one of us should come back and report the situation. We don't know how many of the kidnappers there are, but we sure could use some backup to deal with them," Severin explains.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa shakes her head, replying, "Evil ones, certainly. I fear Elodie is running out of time, we have to hurry."

11. - Top - End - #551
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The villagers nodded solemnly at Severin's news. "Toldya the boy couldn't have done it. Come on, let's head back to the village and deliver the news..."

Spoiler: Severin
    Show
    These are the imperial villagers... they aren't inclined to chase after the girl. You can head back with them, or try to convince them to help out...

The trail continues towards the mountains. There is a small puddle along the path, just enough to fill everyone's waterskins. Although Conrad tries to figure out where the trail is headed, he can't really see anything of note. The ground dries out, and the path starts to turn rocky and hard. It's past midday when you realize that the trail appears to be heading for a pass through the mountains.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ettin in the Playground

On the basis that they might have to stop sometime, Gabriele is scanning the horizon for signs of a campfire. 'I really want to talk to a local. I don't even know whose in charge over the other side of the pass.'

Spoiler
    Show

Perception vs. Int 37
    (1d100)[78]

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Hold on there, friends," Severin calls to the villagers. "My mates are still out there and may run into the group that took the girl at any moment. We could really use your help in bringing Elodie back safely. What say you - we head back to the village and report, you grab whatever you need to make a fight of it, and then head back out with me and Sir Laurens' men. You can mend fences with the locals and show them the mettle of men of the Empire in one go," he explains.

Spoiler: @dojango
    Show
    Much as I'd like to head back out immediately, the main reason Severin went back was because he'd be able to use Bertrand to catch up faster with the party. That means he'll have to go to the village in any case - hence his suggestion that the Imperials go back with him to the village but also join in the posse.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Torendil does notice the priest's muttered comment about his magic, but chooses to say nothing. Certainly didn't mind when we fought that skeleton creature. He makes about as much effort to give Conrad a wide berth as Conrad does for him.

He keeps an eye out for the signs that Gabriele is pointing out. He thinks he's picking up on it, getting better at noticing the signs--but then, he still isn't spotting them before she points them out. By midday he is struggling to keep up, and his breathing is becoming more labored. He drinks greedily at the puddle, taking the opportunity to sit down and rest for a moment. There should be some spell... some way to remove fatigue, or make his legs work faster, or... something.

Torendil takes advantage of the break to search the horizion for a campfire or figures silhouetted against a further ridge as well.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    "What do your elf-eyes see?"
    Perception (vs Int+10: 62): (1d100)[69]
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

15. - Top - End - #555
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The followers arrive at the crest of the mountain pass just as the afternoon shadows start to get long. They scan the far horizon. Torendril's sharp eyes sees a thin plume of smoke rising in the distance behind a distant ridge. Further in the distance, he sees the glint of water. The rest of the terrain in barren rock. Very little green appears on the rolling hills, just brown and grey rock. There may be clumps of hardy shrubs clinging to life here and there, but the fertile plains of the Igerang valley are behind you.

Meanwhile, Severin heads back to the village of Courville. There, he sees that Sir Laurens is holding court in the center of the village, between the two rival settlements. The boy, Peter, is quietly playing with some toys to one side, oblivious of the two armed soldiers behind him. Sir Laurens and Sir Leclair look extremely bored. As Severin approaches, he hears the village headman arguing about some dispute he's been having with one of his rivals in the village. Sir Laurens brightens up as Severin approaches, and then asks nervously, "where are your comrades? Any sign of the girl?"

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Torendil squints a bit, making sure he sees what he thinks he's seeing. "There, I see smoke rising. And it appears there is water nearby, as well. Perhaps that is who we are looking for?" He turns to the others to see if they confirm what he sees.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ettin in the Playground

'Good eyes. I'll take your word for it.' Gabriele will squint in that direction and try to judge how long it would take to get over there. 'We should take a look even if it's not who we're following. I can try and get closer once it gets dark.'

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"We found some tracks up by the pond and from the looks of things the girl was taken by a group that also snatched the lamb Peter there was looking for. We followed their trail across the river and Gabriele and the rest are still chasing 'em. It's hard to say how many are in the group and we don't know the land around here, so I volunteered to come back to let you know what's going on and to request men and some knowledgeable local guides to help us run 'em down. In any case, young sir, I think you can let the boy go and tell your peasants to stop giving each other the evil eye."

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

Conrad

The bald man gives Torendil a nod. "Well spotted, it seems elven eyes see far." Looking at the distant spot he sighs. "That's a long walk. Better we start now and can then rest up before dark and scout the area." Signing inwardly he massages the pain in his calves and feet before getting up and ready to move out.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

There is a murmur of surprise as Severin makes his announcement. "Slavers? This far north?" asks Sir Leclair.

"Could just be bandits or more of those mutants", muses Sir Laurens. "I'll ask my father to start patrolling the east side of the river better. He won't be happy. Might need to start stationing soldiers here."

The village headman then doesn't look happy. "Probably nothing, my lord. We can handle things, I'm sure."

"Nonsense, what do you pay taxes for, if not protection? Come." Sir Laurens looks over the villagers. "Any volunteers to go rescue the girl?"

There is a long pause as the villagers mutter and look at each other. Several of Sir Laurens' younger soldiers step forward. "I'll go!" they shout. Sir Laurens scowls at that. "I can spare two men. You..." he points at the soldier who had known Elodie, and then one of the archers. "And you. None of you want to help rescue the girl?" He turns back to the villagers.

The headman says, "It's dangerous on the other side of the river. And... she's probably already dead. Besides, it's harvest time soon, we can't spare the men to search."

Meanwhile, back at the pass, Gabriele and Conrad try to estimate the distance to the plume of smoke. It's harder than it seems, the long shadows of the mountains throw off everyone's sense of distance, and it is difficult to tell if there is an easy path through the barren hills separating you and the other travellers. It might be a day's hard travel, or two days strenuous winding, depending on the terrain. Also alarming is the party's food state. While there is enough hard-tack and rations for three days of travelling, at some point they will run out. Everyone has enough water for three days, if you ration it carefully, and hopefully the lake in the distance can be used to re-stock your water.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Severin glares at the headman in growing annoyance. "That's it? We come into town yesterday to find the whole ruddy lot o' you ready to string up the simpleton because you were sure that the he'd killed Elodie, but now - when I'm telling you she's alive and in need of help - you're all too busy to bring her back? Can't even spare a man or two that knows the land around here? If you care so little for the girl, then what in the name of Sigmar's great balls of fire were you getting so worked up about yesterday, eh? Seems to me like maybe you're happy to be rid of her - is that it?" he snarls accusingly.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ettin in the Playground

'We're probably not going to catch up with them tonight. Not without exhausting ourselves on the way. Might as well see if there's anything to eat around here.'

Spoiler
    Show

Silent Move to try and get a bonus for Outdoor Survival
    vs. Ag 48 (+10 for Rover)
    (1d00)[1]

Outdoor Survival vs. Int 38
    (1d100)[84]
    Fortune Point if needed
    (1d100)[91]

23. - Top - End - #563
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Severin's call to arms has struck a nerve, and several of the village lads are fired up to rescue the young damsel. The headman scowls at his authority being challenged. "A snake in your midst is one thing, one on the other side of those mountains? Nothing to be done, less his lordship wants to clear out the nest. Besides, for all we know she's dead."

"Then we'll teach those bastards a lesson!" someone shouts.

"You can't eat vengeance. I hope you remember that in the winter!"

Sir Laurens intercedes. "Yes, perhaps four searchers might be best? Your finest archers should suffice." He then takes Severin aside and says, "I'd love to lead an expedition out to find and punish these bandits, or whoever they are, but I'm not going to leave the tax collection sitting alone in this village. I have to bring it safely to my father. If... when you return, meet me in Castle Bremcote and I'll make sure you get your share of the temple haul. And a reward for bringing peace to the village."

Gabriele is a ghost in the night. A shadow drifting over the bare rock. But she doesn't find any game, or any game trails. And no edible plants she recognizes. But then again, they are high up in a mountain pass. Perhaps she will have more luck tomorrow?

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Severin answers Sir Laurens with a curt nod, his eyes still trained on the headman and the crowd.

"Well alright then! Glad to hear that there's some fire in yer bellies after all!" Severin shouts back to the young men. "Like his worship says, four of yer finest will do. Pack for a few nights camping in the rough and we'll need some extra supplies for my friends and miss Elodie. Now, I could really, really do with something to eat and drink before we go. Anyone got a stew on the stove?" he asks hopefully.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa, having been too consumed by her own thoughts and fears to notice much until it was pointed out to her, follows along quietly. Eventually, she responds to Gabrielle's suggestion to wait and stay put, "I..Ugh, you're right. I just...It feels wrong to rest when she's out there somewhere in danger." She sighs, shakes her head, and adds as she watches Gabrielle leave to hunt more to herself than anyone else, "I guess it's best to be ready for whatever we find."

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele returns frustrated at her failure. 'I don't know the mountains well, but there's bound to be birds if nothing else. I just need to get lucky.' She'll sit down to rest for a moment. 'They have to be going somewhere, so maybe there's a settlement on the other side of the mountains. The trick will be catching up with them first. It's not like there's a shortcut.'

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

Conrad

The priest, sitting, sweating from the day's exertion looks up as Gabriele returns empty handed. "Well, Taal surely doesn't even bless these lands". Sucking on a pebble to get some moisture in his mouth he nods towards the distant smoke. "Maybe we had best push on. I'm thinking that likely they'll have food wherever they have stopped. If they took the girl and retraetd to this wilderness they'll be an established gang. So god for us with the food and bad that there may be a Gods Cursed few of them."

28. - Top - End - #568
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The four chosen lads rush to their homes to gather weapons, gear, and supplies. A few villagers bring over several bags full of dried meat and cheese for Severin to place in his saddlebags. His pony is brought over, rested and ready for a hard ride. Severin and Sir Laurens invite themselves into one of the villager's huts, where a woman doles out a bowl of stew for them. "I can stay here another day or two, but any longer... well, I don't think it will be wise. I will meet you back at Castle Bremcote. May the lady guide your path," says the knight.

It takes about an hour for everyone to get ready. The two soldiers and four villagers march off to the north up to the lake, and then cross the ford. The group presses on, but only Severin is on horse, the rest are on foot. As evening comes, the posse finds itself nearing the edge of the foothills. There is some tension; as Elodie's soldier boyfriend and village boyfriend glare daggers at each other across the camp. Nothing seems to come of it, for now.

On the other side of the pass, the trackers carefully make their way down a rocky defile, and then over another ridge. Although they must be closer to their quarry, it doesn't seem any closer. And it is getting too dark to risk the rocky slope. Even once Mannslieb floats serenely over the horizon. They find a sheltered hollow to curl up in and enjoy their well-aged hardtack.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ettin in the Playground

'Well it would be a shame to let food go to waste.'

'I'd say it's a day or more still between us and them. So maybe we push on for a bit longer, but we'll need to sleep at some point.'

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele is used to sleeping outside and after all the walking passes out easily. When it gets lighter she'll force herself to get up and try hunting again before the others were properly up.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Same rolls as earlier

Silent Move to try and get a bonus for Outdoor Survival
    vs. Ag 48 (+10 for Rover)
    (1d100)[35]

Outdoor Survival vs. Int 38
    (1d100)[48]
    Fortune Point if needed
    (1d100)[46]